Death of Mystra

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all. Trying to find out if there was a novel or novel series that covered the beginning or most of the events  of the spellplague or at least when Mystra died?
I believe it was in the Empyrean Odyssey trillogy, but I believe the Haunted Lands trilogy makes mention of it as well, both are pretty vague though, one is a vision that a character recieves and in the Haunted Lands its presented as a vague prophecy.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Ghost King touches on it.  Cadderly at Spirit Soaring has a vision Deneir sacrificing himself to bring order to the collapsing Weave to stabilize it
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
Ghost King touches on it.  Cadderly at Spirit Soaring has a vision Deneir sacrificing himself to bring order to the collapsing Weave to stabilize it

I really cant believe so little lore was written about the events ; after the story of midnight taking over her mantle and everything with the avatar trilogy.  To just kill her off for the sake of 4th edition. Even with Cadderly and other Salvator heroes. They get at best a foot note in the new 4th edition campaign. I couldn't even believe what happened to the Spirit Soaring???
Theyre trying to keep the gods out it and focus more on mortal champions or whatever, so we probably wont see any more novels like Prince of Lies for awhile.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Theyre trying to keep the gods out it and focus more on mortal champions or whatever, so we probably wont see any more novels like Prince of Lies for awhile.

Or ever again, preferably.

Rarely has a deity been given the limelight in a novel and not come away looking (far) worse for the deal. I would much rather the sourcebooks go into the specifics of what the gods are doing and why, and let the novels cover the impact their actions have on the mortal world without actually having the gods appear "on-screen". I think the only deity appearance I cared for was Kemp's treatment of Mask in the Twilight War, and that's because Mask appears for like 5 pages in the entire trilogy. But, that's just me. YMMV.

But as for the topic at hand, I think they specifically wanted to avoid focusing on the specifics of Mystra's death outside a few passing references in order to push the whole "here and now in 1479" thing. I can't say it worked well for them, but it seems to have been an intentional move.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Hey! I liked Prince of Lies!!

But yeah I do agree, the gods should be kept vague and open to interpretation. I thought Crucible was nicely done cause it was all told from the point of view of an unreliable narrator, Malik, thats about as unreliable as you can get right there!!

it has also been stated that the one in the  oddesey one was a vission that might not be all taht accurate.

but yeah ghost king, the haunted lands and the E. oddessey ones are the only ones that touch upon Mystra and or the weave.

that also said, wotc stated that they were not going to do with the 100 years of the forggotten  era, that might explain why nothing was ever touched with it.

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
it has also been stated that the one in the  oddesey one was a vission that might not be all taht accurate.

but yeah ghost king, the haunted lands and the E. oddessey ones are the only ones that touch upon Mystra and or the weave.

that also said, wotc stated that they were not going to do with the 100 years of the forggotten  era, that might explain why nothing was ever touched with it.

Yeah; Ive just started catching up on my salvatore books. started on the transitions tril. But really looking forward to the neverwinter saga. Still kind of sad they just killed her off like that. Honestly really enjoyed the avatar series
you might find the latest Eliminster novels to your likeing then and the Ed Greenwood book thats the last of the series that starts with Salvatore's Companions.

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I really like the Neverwinter saga.  I've still to read the 4th book, but the first three are pretty decent.
"As shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord for Thee. Power has descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. And we shall flow a river forth unto Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. Et nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti"
I'm glad she's dead. Long live the Night Mother Shar!

Seriously there was almost WoD levels of Mystra metaplot with the chosen and Elminister and everything. Too much. 

www.4eDM.org - A 4th Edition D&D Resource Site 

Hate to break it to you, but shes back to life now.
Hate to break it to you, but shes back to life now.

cool, kind of thought that would happen by what salvatore  said in a video before 4th
Yeah...end of Elminster Enraged she was restored.  Don't want to give away any spoilers....but kinda ticked at the way they did it
but we have to wait until the end of Ed's next book to find out WHICH Mystra we got.

Midnight mystra or  Elminster's first lover Mystra or even the long gone Mystryl.

we all agree though, Midnight stinks 
Empyrean Odyssey Books the characters actually both try to stop Cyric and Shar's scheme and end up aiding the evil gods.  It covers much of Helm and Tyr's Fall also.  There is actual scenes of characters and Gods in meeting during the Murder of Mystra in book 2, if I remember correctly.  

As far as the Transition Series   it felt like it was more about what happens during a 100 year time jump, how it effects long lived races and short lived races beside each other how they cope and live on in places locations that are changing.  Though the mention of changes in places are covered and mentioned through all of those books.  In the Ghost King they were still only beginning to see and feel the effects of Spellplague which draws close a series filled with the death of many memoriable short lived character races that many readers had followed for 20 years....

Some of the events leading up to the Spellplague are also mentioned in Blackstaff.  Though it never really states it directly and still seems abruptly shroud with death and rebirth (Netherese Plots) which are also in effect part of the pact born between Shar and Cyric in Return of the Archwizards no trust there.  I could also mention War of the Spider Queen was almost the beginning of it all seeds of Murder among the Pantheon.  With so much Murder you might think Bhaal was laughing somewhere.

Kelemvor should be mighty with all the powerful dying and dropping inInnocentTongue Out 
Though I guess some were "said" to be destroyed floating in ruin upon the astral plane. Sealed 
Do the planes realign?

The last 3 Elminster Books  are about the effects of Spellplague upon the chosen and what power plays and intrigues are at work.  We find many droplets of what has happened but as with many things in the realms there are many mysteries to unravel and plots to counter and fools who blunder...Wink  I must say Elminster Enraged  ties up many loose ends within the three stories nicely but those three books also lend to the future of Mystra and if Elminster's attitude toward the end is any hint heh heh heh Sealed .

Thought I was through and thought about Asmodeus awakening in Elminster in Hell.  The Cale and Twilight War Books also lend to Netherese Plot for conquest, Secrets of Shar and Mask, Intrigues building in Hell, and touches on the ending and beginning thing with Lathander and Amaunator. 

I still have a few books left to catch up but those are a few links that I have read.  I also get the vibe that though the Spellplague made many Greater Gods dormant or dead many of their followers have not lost the faith Shadowbane stories.  

The Sundering is coming can your character feel it yet?  My players have.