rules for a character bite by two different forms of lycanthrope?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought there was a set of rules in a book that had details on shapeshifters on repercusions from being bit by two different types of lycanthrope before the next full moon. and was pretty sure it involved saves, ability damage, and eventually the higher ecl winning out - if a save was achieved.

anyone know if this book was official or perhaps actually what im talking about?

we have a number of non official 3.5 books and I cannot find it in this big arse stack.

any help greatly appreciated.
Its usually a DC 15 Fortitude save after a hit on a bite attack. After the first failed save you contract lycanthropy. As a DM I would rule after you are infected any other bites from different lycanthropes would be moot.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

huh im guessing that from the lack of responses - it probably was un official sourced then.

well i still couldnt find it, but i did lose a few of my books a while back.

In any case - if we cant find this - shall i go ahead and ask fellow gms for their opinion?

how would you play this ruling?

I believe it originaly went like this:

bite 1: standard saves as per mm.
bite 2: standard saves as per mm.
were both failed before the full moon?
If yes then roll save three - Con (18 I think) every day or take 1d4 con and 1d4 str until the night of the full moon
that night roll save four - Will (18) - success means the higher LA creatures overpowers the weaker.
Failure means the player gets hit with the above ability damages and the gm rolls for which takes control that night. continue rolls through all three nights.
Failure on all three nights means the character continues to take ability damage but may roll his standard Wis check to remember and attempt to gain control. If the character experianced only one form he may assume only that form. otherwise he may assume either.
Increase the difficulty to control shape by +4 in this case.

Should the character die from ability damage because of this. 1d6 hrs later the character revives as a morphic horror. A primal creature of pure instinct and devouring hunger. Able only to survive by feeding on other shapeshifters.

Now where thats FROM is the problem - because I remember it but not where I found it - and atm I'm beginning to think that its somewhere in the big stack of dragon magazines which would mean probably weeks of searching.

Doesn't that already describe how to play it?  The only bit I'd be unclear on is the "morphic horror" that a character can potentially become, and that sounds like a special creature or template designed for this.

I did once make an NPC who stacked multiple lycanthrope templates directly (at least in part to play around with the size increases from his alternate forms); he was a sverfneblin were-deinonychus/dire wolverine/orca/roc.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
here the thing i even remember parts of that but my dm would like the book it came from unfortunately im pretty sure it was in 3e 3rd party book. Most of mine got destroyed.

morphic horrors are a templated creature - changes your type to shapeshifter.
they gain control shape same as lycanthropes but can mimic any creature of the same size as the original creature with a dc equivilant to the amount of differance, based on types.

humanoid 12, quadripeds 14, etc etc.

and they went by the same rules as vampires for feeding requirements basically except instead of blood they need the flesh of another shapeshifter typed creature. If they went too long they lost stats and then went feral and became an npc under gm control untill sated and succeding on a control roll just like when a lycanthrope first changes.
Okay - just reporting back in - Last weekend our companion in the game went through their transformation from being bitten twice and our gm put his spin on it. The Character ALMOST became a horror a couple times but survived the rather nasty month on random transformations and half shifts and ability dmg.

In the end our gm had them require one of the two forms to be what took over for a night three nights in a row and had them fighting on well after the moon as their body writhed in agony. In the end the character got their higher ecl form and was bedridden for some time.

Out of interest, what was the 3rd-party book source for the morphic horror stuff?

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I Still dont know - we never did find it.

If you find it - please let us know.

We gave up because more than likely it was 3e book and we are trying to veer away from using them when possible.