Spider-man might be gay...

230 posts / 0 new
Last post
now.msn.com/gay-spider-man-considered-by...

nevermind the decades of comics where he isn't.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
You would have a problem if Spider-Man was gay? Why?
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Pretty sure he answered that question before you asked it.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
now.msn.com/gay-spider-man-considered-by...

nevermind the decades of comics where he isn't.

How dare people put new ideas on old ones. I mean, this cart was perfect with one wheel, why add three!
Y*A*W*N

Hey! Why not make a super-hero movie about super-hero stuff and leave societal issues to documentaries and the nightly news?

I wonder if you "people" would react the same way if a gay hero was suddenly made straight because it was the "in" thing to do. Why, I bet there would be much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

If Spiderman was gay and always had been, I would have a problem if they suddenly decided to make him straight as well.
It's not the gayness I have issue with.
Pretty sure he answered that question before you asked it.

Not really. I mean, think about it. Spider-Man has been wearing spandex for decades, while swinging around with his legs wide open. He traps the badguys, which are usually males, with his "webbing." And to top it off, he has been hiding his identity for decades so as to not hurt the people he loves. Sounds like he has been gay for decades.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

If Spiderman was gay and always had been, I would have a problem if they suddenly decided to make him straight as well.

If you don't have an issue with "gayness," why are you making it an issue? It's not as if suddenly the Spider-Man movies are going to stop being about him stopping evil bad guys and focus on man-loving. 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
So how did you like Samuel Jackson's portrayal of Nick Fury?
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]

Never thought about it.
I was never a big Nick Fury fan anyway.
*shrug*

If you don't have an issue with "gayness," why are you making it an issue? It's not as if suddenly the Spider-Man movies are going to stop being about him stopping evil bad guys and focus on man-loving. 

I have an issue with directors, actors who wannabe directors, and rabble rousers who constantly have to screw with things just so they can be "different".

It's like me taking a blue wheel, painting it red, and then exclaiming "Look at what I created and how clever I am!"
The issue isn't the gayness, its the changing of things that don't need changing.
The issue isn't the gayness, its the changing of things that don't need changing.

Yes.
Danny said it better than I did.

Never thought about it.
*shrug*

The same way I feel about them changing the gender of Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica... meh, so what?

Never thought about it.
*shrug*

The same way I feel about them changing the gender of Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica... meh, so what?

So why does it matter if Spider-Man's sexuality is changed?

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Who says it doesn't need changing?

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I have an issue with directors, actors who wannabe directors, and rabble rousers who constantly have to screw with things just so they can be "different".

It's like me taking a blue wheel, painting it red, and then exclaiming "Look at what I created and how clever I am!"

You realize that changing Nick Fury from a white guy to a black guy is very similar to your wheel painting analogy. If you don't have a problem with Nick Fury, you shouldn't have a problem with Spider-Man's sexuality.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

You realize that changing Nick Fury from a white guy to a black guy is very similar to your wheel painting analogy. If you don't have a problem with Nick Fury, you shouldn't have a problem with Spider-Man's sexuality.

You're right, I shouldn't.
I believe my real problem is with directors, actors who wannabe directors, and rabble rousers who constantly have to screw with things just so they can be "different".
*shrug*

You're right, I shouldn't.
I believe my real problem is with directors, actors who wannabe directors, and rabble rousers who constantly have to screw with things just so they can be "different".
*shrug*

Why would you have a problem with them? It's not like they are forcing you to watch it or like it. Seems like you just want a reason to complain. 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
So you're assuming motivations, then.
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
First of all, this isn't going to happen.  It's just a thing an actor said.  He isn't the writer/director/producer.  So your panties are in a bunch over nothing.

Second.  It really wouldn't matter.  I do think it would be odd if a "Spiderman is gay" subplot entered into the movies or comics as it would seem incongruous and irrelevant to the plot of as it exists.  But it isn't like comic publishers are consistent in their plotting to begin with.  Spiderman got married and had a baby and that got erased.  Superman and Batman both have died without it hurting their career.  

So, if it gets retconned that Spidey is attracted to men would that totally ruin the character?  I think it would be poor writing to do something like that, but not any poorer than most of the writing in superhero comics.
Why would you have a problem with them? It's not like they are forcing you to watch it or like it.

I know, but people like that just bites my ass.

Seems like you just want a reason to complain. 

Oh I have plenty of those!
spiderman having a lesser man he needs to watch over

the stereo type doesn't exist

What do you mean by "lesser man"?
Are you suggesting gay folks are "lesser men"?

Who was the first super-person that Spider-Man fought?

If you answered A) the Green Goblin B) the Fantastic Four and/or the Chameleon (depending on whether or not you count the Fantastic Four fight) C) Lizard-Dude from the most recent movie.

And that's not even getting into the various cartoon shows.  What's the lesson here?  The origin story didn't need changing.  The stories were fine as they were.  So why were the changed?  Because we've already seen that story, and repeating it with nothing new is boring.  If you want to see Spider-Man as he always has been and always will be, go re-read the old comics, watch the old TV shows, or watch the older movies (depending on wh ich version you consider the "one true" version.  If you want to see something new, see people explore the characters and situations and plots in different ways, then continue to read/watch/eroticaly-dance-with the new stuff.

Yes, changing stuff just to change stuff is stupid.  Keeping stuff the same just to keep stuff the same is also stupid.  So ham-stringing writers by what's already been done, rather then letting them try and make interesting stories is stupid.  Let them keep what works, let them change what doesn't, and let them explore what they want.

And if you don't like it?  Say it with your wallet.

Hey! Why not make a super-hero movie about super-hero stuff and leave societal issues to documentaries and the nightly news?

So you think that sweaping social issues under the rug will help solve them?

And why is homosexuality a social issue? Why should society care if spiderman like guys?

Yes, changing stuff just to change stuff is stupid.  Keeping stuff the same just to keep stuff the same is also stupid.  So ham-stringing writers by what's already been done, rather then letting them try and make interesting stories is stupid.

Sure, they are free to make interesting stories, but how about coming up with an idea all their own instead of changing other peoples stories?

And why is homosexuality a social issue?

Because the liberal media says it is.
*shrug*
spiderman having a lesser man he needs to watch over

the stereo type doesn't exist

What do you mean by "lesser man"?
Are you suggesting gay folks are "lesser men"?

the good old boys club is full of gay men

Oh, so you support a club of "good old boys".
Why do you exclude evil women and men from your clubs?
That sounds sexist, ageist, and misogynist to me.

Yes, changing stuff just to change stuff is stupid.  Keeping stuff the same just to keep stuff the same is also stupid.  So ham-stringing writers by what's already been done, rather then letting them try and make interesting stories is stupid.  Let them keep what works, let them change what doesn't, and let them explore what they want.

I DO say it with my wallet.

As for hamstringing writers, I'm not buying it,  They're working with an established character and world, with a history, so, by contract, they're already hamstrung.  Besides, if you're going to change something, make it better.  Changing a character's sexual orientation smacks more of change for change's sake than actual improvement.  What story about Spider-Man can you tell that is made better by his being homosexual?

Instead, why not take the time and effort to take a character in Marvel's universe already known to be gay- or create an entirely new one- and maybe include him or her in a storyline in one of the established properties like Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, etc. to launch a new (hopefully non-stereotypical) property?  That's a wide open path, creatively speaking.

As for hamstringing writers, I'm not buying it,  They're working with an established character and world, with a history, so, by contract, they're already hamstrung.  Besides, if you're going to change something, make it better.  Changing a character's sexual orientation smacks more of change for change's sake than actual improvement.  What story about Spider-Man can you tell that is made better by his being homosexual?

Instead, why not take the time and effort to take a character in Marvel's universe already known to be gay- or create an entirely new one- and maybe include him or her in a storyline in one of the established properties like Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, etc. to launch a new (hopefully non-stereotypical) property?  That's a wide open path, creatively speaking.

Agreed.
it is

oppression starts at home

the anchient greeks said to be often gay treated woman as property

You are too incoherent to talk to.
Are you drunk?

Empty wallets don't say much.
As for hamstringing writers, I'm not buying it,  They're working with an established character and world, with a history, so, by contract, they're already hamstrung.  Besides, if you're going to change something, make it better.  Changing a character's sexual orientation smacks more of change for change's sake than actual improvement.

That didn't stop Superman from snapping Zod's neck like a rubber chicken.
 What story about Spider-Man can you tell that is made better by his being homosexual?

One has to be written first for us to find out.

Why should they? Why be so opposed to changes made to Spider-Man? 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
it is

Are you drunk?

It's like looking into a mirror for you, isn't it?
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
it is

Are you drunk?

ha-ha
No.
it is

Are you drunk?

men trust men like themselves

it is

Are you drunk?

men trust men like themselves

Very true.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Empty wallets don't say much.

It never stays empty for long.  I just overspend a lot.

That didn't stop Superman from snapping Zod's neck like a rubber chicken.

Zod gets killed or functionally killed by Superman as the denoument of every storyline.  Only the method changes- falling powerless into an ice chasm, exposure to green kryptonite, neck snapping.

What story about Spider-Man can you tell that is made better by his being homosexual?

One has to be written first for us to find out.

Nope- the probable answer is none: all it changes is the gender of his loved ones through the character's history.  It doesn't make him more heroic.  It doesn't make him more empathetic.  It doesnt make him more or less susceptible to the powers of his foes, so it doesn't have an impact on his superheroic feats.

Why should they? Why be so opposed to changes made to Spider-Man? 

Because it is a change for no good reason.

With a character who is gay from step one, there is infinitely more freedom.  Bigger and better stories to tell.
They can tie the character deeply to the issues that have shaped the gay rights movement.

Perhaps his uncle was killed at Stonewall.

Perhaps he's not even American, and was born in a country where being gay still gets you killed...by law.  So he emigrated.  OR he stays there being superheroic in his costumed ID while fighting for gay rights in his homeland as a civilian.
it is

Are you drunk?

His sig might explain it. "TLDR"
Think you can survive a zombie attack? Click here to find out.

It Came From Section Four!
Warning: Posts my contain evil.

Orc in the House of Trolls
Nope- the probable answer is none: all it changes is the gender of his loved ones through the character's history.  It doesn't make him more heroic.  It doesn't make him more empathetic.  It doesnt make him more or less susceptible to the powers of his foes, so it doesn't have an impact on his superheroic feats.

Do you oppose a black Nick Fury too?
it is

Are you drunk?

His sig might explain it. "TLDR"

What the hell does that mean?