Help with another Valorbard

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a build that I want to play beginning at level 1 and I hope that it goes all the way to epic. 

I was motivated by MwaO's awesome Chordswitch (Half-Elf Sidhe Lord War Chanter with Magic Weapon could have earlier examples but I didn't find one) and since I ended up not liking the Ardent side as much, this is a straight bard who ends up poaching the best parts of every other leader.
I doubt a single aspect of this is new for CharOp, but I guess I should explain my choices anyway. Heroic and paragon should be completely standard for War Chanters.

No psionic class means Demiurge isn't an option, so no +2 to 2 stats at 21 and I have to put more resources into getting actions points, but since other leaders have awesome powers I decided on Eternal Seeker to take the best leader powers at each level.
In particular, this means access to Valorous Charge (because that's clearly a Valorbard Power) which can be used almost at-will with divine mastery . Also, Shock and Awe as a capstone. 

With an artificer in the party, Magic Weapon can be dropped for Eldritch Strike, which means Hail of Steel can become Death from two Sides and combat virtuoso is no longer needed.
I originally planned to bypass the free action attack limit by readying Hail of Steel off turn after using Valorous Charge, but if my DM's reaction is the same as yours, dear reader, namely that of contempt and disgust (and your reaction is completely justified), I'll go the Eldritch Strike route.

Having one AP per combat is trivial with Vistani Foresight, Heroic Interjection and Symbol of Victory. Sidge Bargain can secure a second one if the group plays along.

Movement enabling isn't great until level 26 where Eternal Seeker let's me take Slick Concoction. Sidhe Bargain actually replaces Revitalizing Incantation from 12-26 because I want to keep Moment of Escape until Slick Concoction becomes available. Also, charge enabling counts as movement enabling, right?

Spirit of the Ram is great at 23 but access to Valorous Charge wit Divine Mastery makes it redundant so it gets dropped for Greater Prescient Warning at that point.

Accuracy is okay but not great, but this is a fairly lazy build. What matters is landing Hail of Steel/Death from two Sides, which is used on action points to benefit from Chessenta and Hero's Gauntlet's for +2/+3 to hit. Insightful Riposte is taken via Skill Power for this reason as well.

Any criticism is welcome and in fact desired.

Show

War Seeker, level 30
Half-Elf, Bard, War Chanter, Eternal Seeker
Bardic Virtue Option: Virtue of Valor
Seeking Destiny Option: Shock and Awe
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)
Theme: Sidhe Lord

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 26, DEX 12, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 26

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16

AC: 45 Fort: 44 Ref: 37 Will: 46
HP: 183 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +21, Arcana +20, Athletics +21, Bluff +28, Diplomacy +30, Heal +22, Insight +24, Intimidate +28, Nature +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +18, Endurance +24, History +16, Perception +18, Religion +16, Stealth +17, Streetwise +24, Thievery +17

POWERS
At Wills: Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery, Magic Weapon from 11 onward

Encounter:
L1: Blunder
L3: Echoing Weapon
L7: Prescient Warning
L13: Earthquake Strike (replaces Blunder)
L17: Hail of Steel (swapped for Song of Summons via Novice Power, replaces Echoing Weapon)
L23: Spirit of the Ram (replaces Prescient Warning), retrained to Greater Prescient Warning @28
L27: Valorous Charge (replaces Earthquake Strike)

Dailies:
L1: Stirring Shout
L5: Song of Dischord
L9: Wail of Anguish
L15: Strike up the Dance
L19: Increasing the Tempo
L25: Relentless Assault
L29: Fury of Athas

Utilities:
L2: Moment of Escape, retrained to Sidhe Bargain @12
L6: Revitalizing Incantation
L10: Mantle of Unity
L16: Heroic Interjection
L22: Climactic Chord
L26: Slick Concoction (via Seeker's Lore)

Feats
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Song Expertise
Level 2: Divine Healer (swap for Battle Cleric's Lore), retrain to Multiclass Mastery @21 to take Spirit Talker (Spirit's Prey) for free
Level 4: Bravura Leader (train Athletics)
Level 6: Resourceful Leader (train Intimidate)
Level 8: Improved Defenses, retrained to Combat Virtuoso @11
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Mark of Healing
Level 14: Improved Defenses
Level 16: Danger Sense, retrained to Novice Power @17 
Level 18: Skill Power (Insightful Riposte)
Level 20: Vistani Heritage
Level 21: Vistani Foresight
Level 22: Martial Mastery
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Supreme Majesty
Level 28: Divine Mastery
Level 30: Quickened Spellcasting (Magic Weapon)

Items:
Lilting Songblade Longsword +6
Shielding Blade Dagger +1
Benefactor Elderscale Armor +6
Hero's Gauntlets (epic tier)
Diamond Cincture (paragon tier)
Eye of Awareness
Symbol of Victory +2
Luminary Ring

maybe:
Far-Step Amulet
Feystep Lacings
Demonskin Tattoo

Arms and one Ring slot are open

Hail of Steel somehow isn't better for you?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Hah, basically this build is about "how to optimize the maximum out of Valorous Charge" which is exactly, what i planned to do, as well, for when i have the time.
Didn't in-depth check your powers and feats yet. Will do soon.
For items: Timeless Locket for Sidhe Bargain.
Hail of Steel somehow isn't better for you?

Not sure if I understand you. Could you elaborate?
The problem with this build, in general, is an overabundance of granted attacks. On your turn, you grant a free action attack to everyone, including yourself with Valorous Charge, this ought to kill the target. On encounters where you AP, what are you going to do with that action? You no longer have a target in Melee Range most likely, so this is typically when you'd use a Daily power for buffing/utility/control (and a reason why Fury of Athas is worthless).

Your Encounter Powers need to either be off-turn or for 2nd turn, Hail of Steel is better than DFTS (or spirit of the ram) for that purpose. Then again, with Divine Mastery, you'll be using Valorous Charge on 2nd Turn as well, so it's really not even an issue of using HoS or DFTS, it's an issue of "wtf are you doing with your other encounter powers, especially when you AP?" Since Eternal Seeker is giving you a 2nd Nova round, you need to be doing something not useless with it. Though that begs the question of why you'd bother taking Eternal Seeker on a Bard when you're not gaining more than 1 useful power.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
What I'm doing with my encounter powers is using them as immediate reactions to whatever trigger I feel most convenient ("I ready X to use against Y when the next turn begins") because I have enough standard actions do to so.
Prepare for getting hit by a rock.
I have a general question on valorous bards (and Chr/Con War Chanter bard hybrids):

If you are forbidden to swap the Divine Healer feat for Battle Cleric's Lore, what is the best way to gain armor?

Should you be raising strength (dumping Int/Dex) and taking armor feats?  Is there some other trick to getting armor?  Should you not be worried about it for a ranged/lazy build? 

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

I have a general question on valorous bards (and Chr/Con War Chanter bard hybrids):

If you are forbidden to swap the Divine Healer feat for Battle Cleric's Lore, what is the best way to gain armor?

Should you be raising strength (dumping Int/Dex) and taking armor feats?  Is there some other trick to getting armor?  Should you not be worried about it for a ranged/lazy build? 

If you're consistently adding optimized Warchanter-type damage+Resourceful Leader+Bravura Leader damage, odds are nothing in a normal game is surviving past the AP round. In a CharOp game, your Defender ought to be able to step in and protect you. +3 to AC isn't that big of a deal in that context.

A Shielding Dagger +1 also can resolve some of the issues.

Mind you, if you're bringing a Warchanter to a normal game, that's almost unfair in and of itself... 
Prepare for getting hit by a rock.

Or just random auto-dazes, really, at least that's how I've dealt with it.
This build seems like it would really want the increasingly-famous Wand of Slick Concoction. 
Had it in mind but forgot about including it because I couldn't get it in the character builder. 
How are you taking Divine Healer with 13 Wisdom in heroic?
I initially took it via Multiclass Mastery and considered some other AC fix at earlier levels, then forgot that it required 15 Wis instead of 13 and took it earlier in this version. I guess that means it's chain early on or starting with 13 strength in heroic for scale profieciency and retrain to 13 wis at epic for BCL. Thanks for pointing that out.