How far can I throw an object?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been playing 4e for a very long time, and feel like I understand the rules well, but I can't find any rules for how far a character of a certain size and strength can throw a non-aerodynamic (and therefore no range score) object of a given weight.

I'm just gonna say that my Minotaur hurled the 90-pound Drow girl at a guy who was across an obstacle nobody could jump. The DM allowed it because it was funny, but none of us knew of any rules that would say whether or not he was actually able to do that.

There are no rules for throwing things - that'd be covered under page 42 in the DMG...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

As far as the DM will let you. As a starting point, Improvised Ranged Weapon lets you thow objects at a range of 5/10
It is too bad there are no rules for throwing things like this.

Can anyone share how they would DM a situation such as:

1) Throwing a player across a pit. How many squares to they clear?

2) Throwing a sunrod into a specific square, perhaps 5 squares away? 
As a DM I would allow:

1. Any heavy object (determined as heavier than STR modifier (minimum 1) x 10 pounds) to be thrown up to the STR modifier number of squares (minimum 1). So, an 8th level fighter with 20 STR (+5) can throw an object heavier than 50 pounds up to 5 squares (25 feet).

2. Any light object (determined as lighter than STR modifier (minimum 1) x 10 pounds) to be thrown up to Strength ability check number of squares (minimum 1). So, an 8th level fighter with 20 STR (+5) who rolls a 12 can throw the object 17 squares (85 feet).

Beyond that, I would use the improvised ranged weapon rules to determine accuracy.
Can anyone share how they would DM a situation such as:
1) Throwing a player across a pit. How many squares to they clear?
2) Throwing a sunrod into a specific square, perhaps 5 squares away? 

1) I'd likely just use the jump rules (i.e. distance based off athletics roll). For the OP's situation, 'aiding another' would also be suitable.
2) Targeting a square would probably be like hitting AC 0 with an improvised item (i.e. pretty easy; just don't roll a 20). Range 5/10. Longer ranges would involve an athletics check.

Interestingly, discussed my 2 questions with my players, and this is what we decided:

Throwing a PC would be equivalent to the PC making the jump himself. The person who is doing the throwing would be considered using "Aid Another" with the player's jump attempt. This allows a PC to make a long jump or a long jump with a running start, to then be boosted by a player or 2 using the Aid Another action.

My players also decided that throwing an ordinary object would be handled by an Athletics check versus an easy, moderate, or hard DC, depending on the situation, with failure meaning it lands in an adjacent square instead, determined randomly with a d8 roll. We did not discuss how far you could throw something though, now that I think about it. But this seemed like a fun way to handle it.
Sign In to post comments