B/W Vizkopa/Crypt Incursion Combo

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
 I came across this combo kind of accidentally while playing with a friend and built this deck around it.  I'm pretty new to magic so I get the basics, but don't know if this would be feasible for FNM play or not (kind of worried it relies too much on the combo).  The idea is to get a lot of opponents creatures into graveyard and then use Crypt Incursion to gain life, hopefully paired with Vizkopa Guildmage's ability.  Also combo Vizkopa Guildmage with all the creatures with lifelink.  Having lots of creatures with extort with also provide some extra damage when casting crypt incursion or other spells. I thikn there may be a mana problem but hoping as long as I have a crypt ghast or two out there, should be enough to cast bigger spells.  Here's what I got so far:

24 Lands-
Swamp  10
Plains  10
Orzhov Guildgate  4

24 Creatures-
Balustrade Spy  4
Crypt Ghast  4
Vizkopa Guildmage  4
Dutiful Thrull  3
Tithe Drinker  3
Blood Baron of Vizkopa  1
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts  1
Daggerdrome Imp  3
Frontline Medic  1  

12 Others-
Crypt Incursion  3
Grisly Spectacle  3    
Death's Approach 1
Executioner's Swing 2 
Purge the Profane  3   

Also definitely interested in any suggestions you have for a sideboard to counter any problems you identify.  Thanks!! 
One more thing, I only want to include cards that will be good in standard format after M14 releases for RTR block and newer.
So first of all, you're gonna want to swap those Guildgates for Godless Shrine. Second, you need a more consistent game plan. the Vizkopa Guildmage is a fun card but I have yet to see someone in Constructed pull off a game-winning combo with it. The problem with the Crypt Incursion combo is that is will just take too long. You will need to fill their graveyard with a lot of stuff before the combo can even begin to be set up.

Some cards that don't fit:
Balustrade Spy- yes he mills but they might just flip a land and a few spells, leaving you with an overcosted flyer
Teysa- She is just... bad. You are so much better off with the Blood Baron. He rocks.

I hate to tell you to consider another decklist but I would seriously just build a lifegain/Extort deck around Blood Baron. That card is SRSLY GOOD. If you pack enough removal (Oblivion Ring, Murder, etc) then you can just control the board while gaining life and Extorting. If you want to use all the extra mana from Crypt Ghast, why not go for Debt to the Deathless?

I would definitely tighten up your list. The singleton cards like Frontline Medic aren't helping your theme. Not trying to hate on your idea, I just think you will do better to make the deck cater to a more straightforward idea. Most of the people who I have seen use Vizkopa Guildmage are trying to land Exquisite Blood which makes an infinite loop and an insta-win.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Thanks Smoke_Stack, I appreciate the advice.  Based on what you said, I think lifegain/extort would definitely be better.  What about replacing Balustrade Spy with Rhox Faithmender?  And get rid of Teysa and the medic for two more Barons.  Probably get rid of one crypt incursion and the deaths approach and add either two Sanguine Bond's or two Debt to the Deathless.
One of the best Lifegain decks I've played against used Rhox Faithmender and Vampire Nighthawk. It's a wall

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

I was thinking about Sanguine Blood and Vizkopa this weekend.

I was wondering how you could cheaply abuse that combo. Disciple of Griselbrand came to mind. Then Crypt incursion. Then SplinterFright.
basically my mind swarmed with ways to abuse it and build around gaining a large amount of life.

but to follow your color scheme, the easiest way might be to go B/W Humans.

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Boros Elite
3 Nearheath Pilgrim 
3 Vizkopa Guildmage
4 Silverblade Paladin 
2 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Rhox Faithmender
3 Disciple of Bolas
2 Blood Baron of Vizkopa 

3 Sanguine Bond
4 Silver-Inlaid Dagger
3 Blind Obedience

this probably not the best list for this, im just spitballing

What do you think about angelic accord in a b/w lifegain?  Worth a spot main deck?  And if i could get my hands on a couple Archangel of thunes it could get pretty nasty since I am assuming each time you use extort counts as a separate instance and would trigger that +1/+1 counter thing separately?  (Know its more of a rules questions, but fits in with discussion about the lifegain deck)