switching DMs. old DM is bieng a dick and ruining other players lives

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
like said in the tittle hes bieng a total dick. For example because its his "maps" he feels he has the right to impose on our new DM and force his influance on the world. To add he pressures other players into having certan backrounds to allow him self to have a over all power over us. what should I do? ( sorry for horrible gramer or spelling.)

Get your own materials and tell the old DM that he can start playing nice or he can take a hike.

Phrase it as gently as you need to in order to preserve friendships.

This should be done out of game, if at all possible. This is a social contract issue, not a gameplay issue.
Get your own materials and tell the old DM that he can start playing nice or he can take a hike.

Phrase it as gently as you need to in order to preserve friendships.

This should be done out of game, if at all possible. This is a social contract issue, not a gameplay issue.

I can only support this. If it's not fun to game with the guy, don't game with him. Yes, he's probably a good friend, or you there aren't other gamers in the area, or whatever. We know, that's always the way. But trust us that "good friends" aren't jerks to each other, and there are other gamers.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Bobgari dont complicate. Look at the guy straight and tell him...No.

Just to reiterate it again. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

like said in the tittle hes bieng a total dick. For example because its his "maps" he feels he has the right to impose on our new DM and force his influance on the world. To add he pressures other players into having certan backrounds to allow him self to have a over all power over us. what should I do? ( sorry for horrible gramer or spelling.)

Lol... Tyrants can't be trusted to govern over a Free People. To paraphrase Paul Simon: Jump on the Bus, Gus. No need to be coy, Roy. Set yourself free.

The new DM needs to tell him 'no', at the very least, and not allow him to control the table.

Did this player design these maps or something? Make up some new maps that he doesn't feel so in love with. If he still is controlling after talking to him and extracting him from why he may feel a desire to control you all... it's time to move on.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Bobgari dont complicate. Look at the guy straight and tell him...No.

true that
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Talk to the other players about your feelings. Tell the new DM you don't like what is going on, chances are; you aren't alone.

Tell the others, especially the new DM this isn't fun; make a few examples, personalize it. "So, was it okay when he did X to you?" can be powerful. Then, tell the new DM that you want this jerk OUT OF YOUR GAME.

Tell the new DM that if he is concerned about being the bad guy, you will take the bone; offer to call the guy, tell him he is unwelcome at any future session. Ask the new DM "I am going to confront him and tell him he isn't welcome anymore. If he calls you, will you back me?"

Just by coming here and posting this, you make me wonder if your other friends feel the same way. Tell him to GTFO.

Within; Without.

Lol... Tyrants can't be trusted to govern over a Free People. To paraphrase Paul Simon: Jump on the Bus, Gus. No need to be coy, Roy. Set yourself free.

The new DM needs to tell him 'no', at the very least, and not allow him to control the table.

Did this player design these maps or something? Make up some new maps that he doesn't feel so in love with. If he still is controlling after talking to him and extracting him from why he may feel a desire to control you all... it's time to move on.

I want to add on to that. This guy is definitely being a jerk, but if this isn't normal behavior for him then there might be a reason for it besides general jerkiness. If he designed a homebrew setting and the new DM is using that same setting, I could understand your old DM being upset, especially if the new DM is making changes to the old DM's setting that he doesn't like. He's obviously not going about expressing his frustrations in a constructive way, but I want to reiterate that you should definitely play in a different setting. New DM doesn't have to make one up, there are lots of published settings out there, including the Nentir Vale in the DM's Guide/DM's Kit.

If everyone's super attached to their characters, send them through a magical doorway or handwave it and say that these are their identical alternates in this other universe.
I'm stuck with a planes walking elf in a module where we are shanghaied onto a ship
and the captain is oppressive
He executed his own cabin boy

and I'm supposed to care if I see an enemy sneak up behind him ?

Fortunately, the DM has started to modify the module
Yes you are supposed to care if you see an enemy sneak up behind him!

I mean what if the captain makes a successful listen check? You had better start caring and get in there and distract him...
Wow.

Tell the guy to get with the program, or get out. Do it away from the gaming table, since this isn't a game issue, even if he tries the old "it's just what my character would do" line. If he hasn't used this already, he will... it's part of the script.

If he has all the stuff, look at using the Dungeon magazine adventures for a little while until you get your own maps and tiles; I printed the maps to one of the Chaos Scar adventures to a 1' scale (Slave Takers, or something like that) in black and white for just over $10 at Kinko's. You can substitude coins, Monopoly pieces, whatever, for miniatures, and if you don't own dice, there are even free smartphone dice rolling apps. For monsters, there is a game called Zombies! that sells plastic zombie minis in bags of 100 for like.. $10-15 that make awesome monsters.

Bottom line, life is too short to game with people that make your head hurt.

So many PCs, so little time...
If he has all the stuff, look at using the Dungeon magazine adventures for a little while until you get your own maps and tiles; I printed the maps to one of the Chaos Scar adventures to a 1' scale (Slave Takers, or something like that) in black and white for just over $10 at Kinko's. You can substitude coins, Monopoly pieces, whatever, for miniatures, and if you don't own dice, there are even free smartphone dice rolling apps. For monsters, there is a game called Zombies! that sells plastic zombie minis in bags of 100 for like.. $10-15 that make awesome monsters.

Bottom line, life is too short to game with people that make your head hurt.

Slightly OT, but I just wanted to say that I use a program called Posterazor to print maps of any image to any scale, all on regular 8.5x11 printer paper.  The only catch is then you have to tape them together, but Posterazor makes it very easy, even including overlapping sections if you want them.

posterazor.sourceforge.net/

And no, I'm not getting paid for that ... it just rocks for printing maps at home. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”