Best Warlord presence for this party?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
12:10AM 7/11 EDIT: Updated build in response to feedback. Changed Presence, Theme, Feat and E1

As a level 2 genasi warlord with 18 STR/12 CON/8 DEX/18 INT/10 WIS/12 CHA, which presences should I be considering? (I haven't chosen yet because our DM is letting us retroactively revamp our characters since we didn't get much time to plan them initially).

Other characters are also level 2 and include:
Razorclaw Rogue (Thief)
Drow Cleric
Warforged Fighter
Human Warlock

I'm a new player and don't know which will be useful to powers as I go forward. I'm somewhat following this: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

My current character:
Silen Atara, level 2 Warlord (Tactical, Combat Leader)
Genasi (Watersoul)
Noble or Ironwrought Theme (Haven't decided)
Noble background ( +2 perception)
18 STR/12 CON/8 DEX/18 INT/10 WIS/12 CHA
Powers:
Intuitive Strike
Commander's Strike
Warlord's Favor
Lead the Attack
Adaptive Strategem

Feats:
Mark of Healing
Heavy Blade Expertise

Equipment:
Light Shield, Short Bow, Adventurer's Kit, Riding Horse
Equipped:
Hide Armor, Longsword (equipped 2h)

In general, I want to be able to move allies/enemies strategically and give extra/powered up attacks to allies.

I'm mostly looking for the best warlord presence to use for the party, but other tips/suggestions on my build would be great! Thanks!
Tactical Presence. Which will result in taking Warlord's Favor as your E1.

Did they ever fix Intuitive Strike in the compendium? At one point it said "next" ally, but that was never actually true. They did errata it, but that isn't what the errata said.

Bastard Sword is a waste of a feat, only +1 average damage per [W]. Rapier or Longsword are better options.

No theme?

Why Watersoul?

Tactical Presence. Which will result in taking Warlord's Favor as your E1.

Did they ever fix Intuitive Strike in the compendium? At one point it said "next" ally, but that was never actually true. They did errata it, but that isn't what the errata said.

Bastard Sword is a waste of a feat, only +1 average damage per [W]. Rapier or Longsword are better options.

No theme?

Why Watersoul?

I'm working off the character builder descriptions, so my version of Intuitive Strike is:
Hit: 1[W] damage. Until the start of your next turn, the next ally who attacks the target and has combat advantage against it gains a +2 power bonus to the attack roll.

What feat would you suggest instead of Bastard Sword?

Theme is Noble, same as background. Gives me Noble Presence (close burst 3, Move action), which allows up to 2 allies to shift up to 2 squares and gain a +2 power bonus to their defense until my next turn.

Watersoul lets me use swiftcurrent and allows me to breathe underwater, plus gives me +2 to saving throws of ongoing damage.

I think Swiftcurrent and Noble Presence would be useful because our DM likes to use difficult terrain in encounters and set up the party for poor original positioning via traps and initially unknown enemies that join later.

Edit: I'm also considering the Ironwrought theme as an alternative.
Expertise feat.  Pick one that goes with the kind of weapon you want to use (light blade, heavy blade, etc.).  And make sure you pick up e.g., Light Blade Expertise rather than Weapon Expertise (Light Blade).
+2 to saving throws of ongoing damage.

^Likely the most statistically worthless ability in the game, actually.
+2 to saving throws of ongoing damage.

^Likely the most statistically worthless ability in the game, actually.

Yea, I originally didn't put it in there, added it in an edit since it technically is part of the racial bonus.

Expertise feat.  Pick one that goes with the kind of weapon you want to use (light blade, heavy blade, etc.).  And make sure you pick up e.g., Light Blade Expertise rather than Weapon Expertise (Light Blade).

I'm new, not really sure what the tradeoffs between heavy/light blades are. As a warlord, what should I be considering for that? Just was going for a Bastard Sword originally because I liked the extra damage and proficiency bonus, although I'm not sure I know how effective those things are in practice.
Bastard Sword and Lnogsword (as well as rapier) have the same proficiency bonus. Your average damage only increases by 1, which isn't worth the feat.
I'm not sure whether using heavy weapons and getting the +2 to defenses against OA and the +1 damage to all attacks (from versatile weapon) or doing light weapons and getting +1 damage to attacks against targets giving me CA and +1 AC (light shield) ends up being better, but I'm guessing the heavy weapons (longsword) from what I know now. Feel free to point out anything I'm missing.

Also changed to Tactical Presence, Warlord's Favor. Updating the main post.
You're not the most durable fellow and a lot of your attack actions will be granted to others, and your racial power gives you a very nice move action to get where you want/don't ant to be already, so which makes more sense to you?
You're not the most durable fellow and a lot of your attack actions will be granted to others, and your racial power gives you a very nice move action to get where you want/don't ant to be already, so which makes more sense to you?

Hmm, they both have their tradeoffs. The extra damage from the longswords is nice, but I can see the extra AC being useful too. With two leaders though, it might be better to try to take down the enemy faster with less defenses. An enemy that is killed more quickly makes fewer attacks.

The other option is Master-At-Arms, which would give a benefit if I needed to swap to a bow ever. I'm (so far) planning on sticking to hide to keep the AC bonus from int and extra mobility, so I could swap the standard proficiency with light shields and chainmail for the archer warlord (STR is used instead of DEX for bows/cbows). My rogue/warrior are melee and my cleric/warlock are ranged though, so we already have options for dispatching from a range.

EDIT:
Or a reach weapon might be good. Having the extra range could help me be a little more survivable while giving me more options for what I want to give free attacks to/on.
Watersoul is probably your best bet in heroic. Windsoul is nice too for the mobility. However if you're going to enter paragon and your DM won't let you retrain racial features, Stormsoul or Firesoul are your best bet for +damage.

Warlords never really struggled with defenses in my experience. Int+Hide+Shields is very good.

Archer Warlord is totally useless. Warlords are made to be in melee, so play the class the right way.

Also, Ringmail for Tacticians! 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Watersoul is probably your best bet in heroic. Windsoul is nice too for the mobility. However if you're going to enter paragon and your DM won't let you retrain racial features, Stormsoul or Firesoul are your best bet for +damage.

Warlords never really struggled with defenses in my experience. Int+Hide+Shields is very good.

Archer Warlord is totally useless. Warlords are made to be in melee, so play the class the right way.

Also, Ringmail for Tacticians! 

I'm not sure how far we'll get or if we can retrain racial stuff, so i'll probably stay watersoul. Our DM has expressed a dislike for flying characters, so i'm going to stay away from the windsoul to keep him happy.
Should I be using a shield most of the time? I feel like the +1 ac doesn't make that much of a difference, and it'd be better to have more damage since we already have a defender and two leaders.

Yea, probably going to upgrade to ringmail at some point, the enchants for mail are pretty ncie.
You're not going to be making enough attacks for +2 damage to be worth it over +1 AC/Reflex
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep looking at this thread if you guys have any other suggestions, but I think I've got it pretty much figured out thanks to your help!