Old modules converted to 3.5

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello

Noob here probably asking a noob question. YEARS ago I remember we could download older D&D modules, I think from this site, but I was wondering is there any place on the net where we can download old modules converted to 3.5 for free or as close to it as possible?

Thanks!
 You can still download this stuff. It has not been converted to 3.5 AKA do it yourself.

web.archive.org/web/20080506030618/http:...

Fear is the Mind Killer

"Convert" in this case meaning "rebuild from the ground up using the newer rules".

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
One can still use the dungeons adventures and fluff fine, you just have to be careful with some of the monsters as a 3.5 orc is a lot more dangerous than a BECMI Orc and 20 BECMI Kobolds turned into 3.5 Kobolds could be a problem. Also a 3.5 Ogre at level 1 could be funny as older stuff had no recommended guidelines and fleeing was supposed to be an option. A 3.5 or 4th ed player would probably assume the DM was using some sort of encounter guidelines an then promptly get reamed.

Lower level adventures tend to work the best with minimal conversion.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I'd tell you that both Slagger and Zardnaar are on the right track.

You often can take an older adventure and use most of the "fluff" (especially maps) in 3e.  It is when you actually start looking at the encounters that you may find yourself basically starting over from the ground up.  Certainly many monsters have been updated but that doesn't always mean they are the same challenge that they once were.  Similarly, you can now give many monsters up grades/level to power them up.  A final note is that treasure expectation between editions can be wildly different.

I'm running "A Night Below", an old 2e mod, for my girlfriend, her parents, and her 10 year old son.  I convert most of the encounters on the fly, and I plan ahead and plan a few to be really neat.  I have a great deal of system mastery though, I've been on CharOp and GitP forums actively for over 12 years, so its not hard to me to eyeball things.  It is a neat mod, though.  I do have to increase the treasure a bit and lower the quatities of most monsters to account for the edition changes.
I do have to increase the treasure a bit and lower the quatities of most monsters to account for the edition changes.

In running B2 Keep on the Borderlands, I encountered the same trend.  In 3.5, you cannot use the same numbers of enemies as was possible in Basic D&D.  In some cases, I was able to keep the same quantities of foes by toning down the power level of the individual creatures.

Overall, if a DM has a moderate level of system mastery, conversion of the basic or advanced adventures to 3.5 is not particularly difficult.  The key is retaining the original feel of the encounters while adjusting the mechanics to be appropriately balanced in 3.5.
I've wanted to convert Dragon Mountain but for that I really need to start at the end with the big ole dragon queen and then work backwards.  A "problem" with that adventure is one of its selling points is using hordes of low level creatures (KOBOLDS!!) against high level PCs while keeping things challenging.  I know I can level up kobolds to fill the same purpose but that actually defeats the intent of the adventure.
I remember you mentioning that about a year ago Steven. I don't understand the problem. I don't even know if you have a running group of gamers at the moment. But wiping out hordes of kobolds is very satisfying. "I just fireballed 80 of them!". It's fun! And now, stepping back, as the DM...  "3 more resources used..."
I've mentioned it a few times and even asked how people would write-up the Great Wyrm Red at the end.  Of course I don't have a group and thus converting it is very low on the priority list.

Oh, wiping out hordes of kobolds can still be fun in 3e but the problem is they are still supposed to threaten the PCs.  Challenging a CR 26 dragon should take more than the 15-16th level PCs the adventure recommends and when you throw CR 1 opponents at those PCs funny things happen.

When it comes to the actual mountain in Dragon Mountain if converted directly to 3e all the Kobolds are there to do is keep the party from resting (which probably wasn't as easy in 2e) and to wear down their resources slowly. 
There was an old 1989 1st ed adventure with flame a red dragon for higher level 1st ed PCs. It had the suicidal Kobold Corp but each one had a bead from a necklace of fireballs. Only 2d6-6d6 or so per bead but multiply that by ye olde horde of kobolds. 

Another thing to remember is BECMI/1st ed kind of assume larger parties than 3.5 and multiple atacks were handled differently as fighters more or less got great cleave for free vs 1HD mooks in 1st ed. A 3.5 party with 6-8 PCs or 4+ 2-4 hirelings may find the large encounter size a bit easier. If you only have a 4 person 3.5 party you may want to try cutting the encounter sizes by 40% or so. 20 kobolds become 12 as .5 characters have things like cleave and cure spells at level 1 BECMI characters lack.  

Fear is the Mind Killer

I dug up this old thread because I'm looking for a 3.5e conversion to UK4 when a star falls.   All I found so far via google are dead links pointing back to the wizards site. 

Apparently there was a collection of 3.5e conversions on the WotC site.   I've found links to them all over the place.      Anyone know where I can find a conversion for it?

This is exactly the kind of thing WoTC needs to be doing for D&D Next.  They need to publish conversion notes for all these great 1e modules.  

Sign In to post comments