Walker for Theros

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bolas was out of the spotlight for a long, long time before he became the arguable big bad of the modern storyline.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

True.
And I don't know much about the specifics of stories that old, but I'd wager that Bolas always had more visibility among players for actually having a card (and better yet, being the only good elder dragon).

How relevant was Bolas waaaaaaay back then?
Sandruu? 
I loved Sandruu, jus for the record. But he was mostly relevant during a time when Magic wasn't doing great (Homelands) and as much as I would love to see Sandruu return to the main storyline, I think getting a new Minotaur planeswalker is much more likely.

I think I we ever see an influx of. Old characters and planeswalkers coming back it will be in products like Commander and Planechase. But I can hope, anyway.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Bolas was nothing until the Legends 2 Cycle -- Chromium Rhuell was significantly more important, having major roles in Dakkon Blackblade's story and the Summit of the Null Moon (arc in the Ice Age storyline) and being something of the cause for the Planeswalker War.

Sandruu was a figure who was set up to be important for the Planeswalker War, but he never really got his arc.  He was a friend of Feroz, and last we saw of him was called prematurely out of a thousand-year banishment

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I know what new means, but could there be a contextual misrepresentation? I mean when they say "new" do they mean:

1. Never before seen period in any story arc or form related to MTG

2. Never printed but mentioned somewhere else

I kind of remember going of this same argument with Ral. Many people said that he wasn't going to see print because it was a "new" pw. I could possibly be remembering incorrectly, so forgive me if I am.

So I think WotC wants to give the people what they want. a Minotaur PW. Possibly mono-red but let's not rule out a possability of a r/b (just because in my mind it seems plausible with all these undead minotaurs that probably have no flavor relation). My vote is for mono-red but I'd not be surprised otherwise.

Kiora, maybe not the first set in the block, maybe 2 or 3??? I really would like a u/g PW... just sayin'

With Elspeth coming back around I don't see a /w PW to steal her thunder. I'm almost thinking we do for a mono-green walker. Maybe one that revolves around lands like fetching and...something. Narrow scope though. We'll see.
Mark Rosewater's exact words were
"You've never met them before." 

I've never met another planeswalker though. I don't think they visit earth often...

I've never met another planeswalker though. I don't think they visit earth often...

so trollsy haha.

@ Thoctar - Well MaRo has been known to be deceptive many o' times. Maybe not exactly lying, but defenetly plays on words. I'll concede that it is highly likely it'll be 2 plainswalkers we've never seen EVER, but a small part of me thinks he tricky tricky.
He makes a conscious decision to never lie about Magic related stuff, and he's fully aware of characters like Kiora and Dack.
I thought they said Ral Zarek was a brand new walker we hadn't seen before too?
Oh God, don't make me go dig that stuff up looking for details. D:

I'm willing to admit that maybe MaRo may have been speaking semantically and not considers Kiora to be someone we've met, or maybe it slipped his mind, or maybe she's just not in the set. I don't know, i'm tied of trying to infer information about the two sentences of details about the other walkers in the set.

Kiora is a desired commodity; I see folks asking about her on MaRo's blog on a near weekly basis.
She WILL happen at some point.
People want it, and I can't imagine they would go through the effort of coming up with a new character with her own shtick and abilities and NOT use her at some  point.
People want it, and I can't imagine they would go through the effort of coming up with a new character with her own shtick and abilities and NOT use her at some point

Arguably, the entire reason they come up with these characters to slot into DotP and the comics and whatnot is to find out which ones we really, really want, so that they can later make us very happy by giving them to us.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

We were actually told that they made them up because they wanted to be able to make decklists without being constrained by the current roster of walker characters.
Ral was made with RTR in mind, but we've been told that Kiora had no plans beyond her initial creation in mind. 
LIES - ALL LIES. Wizards like to string us along a lot and only on rare occasions give us a bone... if you know what I mean.
Yes, because companies know that's how you stay profitable: piss off the consumers.
Yes, because companies know that's how you stay profitable: piss off the consumers.

Ironically, this is partially true.

It is more important that you maintain a passion about your product in a target demographic than that you maintain a positive overall opinion.

The tricky balance comes from keeping them just mad enough that they think about the product regularly without making them so mad that they forgo purchasing it.

If you give people everything they want they get bored and reject the product or at the very least don't buy the newest version when it comes out.  If you give them nothing they want, they stop buying it entirely, but if you trickle it out at partial or unpredictable intervals, they become obsessed with new iterations of the product because this time... this time they'll get what they always wanted.  Then they get just a part of what they want and that enflames their passion for the next release (where they will obviously get the rest of what they want, absolutely this time we mean it) while not granting them enough leeway to stop purchasing. 
Sign In to post comments