Conjurations Question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so I'm DM'ing for a party and the wizard just got a conjuration power called "Bigby's Icy Grasp". What is the logic behind only being able to attack conjurations if your attack says you can? I'm fairly certain a monster could hit a giant icy hand that was grabbing his buddy. Is this something where as the DM I could bend the rules a bit?
Alright, so I'm DM'ing for a party and the wizard just got a conjuration power called "Bigby's Icy Grasp". What is the logic behind only being able to attack conjurations if your attack says you can? I'm fairly certain a monster could hit a giant icy hand that was grabbing his buddy. Is this something where as the DM I could bend the rules a bit?

Even if you could attack it, it has no HP and is effectively indestructable. It's also a fairly weak power both in damage and control because wizards won't typically have a great fort defense making it easy for many monsters to escape. Plus it requires a minor action to sustain, unlike summons which are attackable. You don't need to go out of your way to make the power and worse than it already is.
I'm fairly certain a monster could hit a giant icy hand that was grabbing his buddy.

It's not a giant icy hand - it's a set of rules elements. It doesn't matter whether it's a giant hand, an invisible force field or a fish on a bicycle because Conjurations follow a specific set of rules that doesn't change depending on what your conjuration appears to be. You can't hit it because it's just a magical effect. Compare them to summoned creatures, which do have hit points and can be attacked.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Conjurations also don't occupy the square unless they say they do. So is your argument that it would make sense if you could hit most conjurations, but you could also walk straight through them? How do you hit something that stuff passes through, exactly?

Which part of the giant icy hand makes logical sense in the first place, exactly?

4e is a game. The game has rules for balance and playability. You can imagine the scenario any way you want, it "not making sense" is a failure of imagination, but the rules are balanced to be playable, not to conform to what intuitively "makes sense" to everyone in a world of magic.

Also: Because A Wizard Did It. Literally.
Sign In to post comments