10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock

A Spellscarred Paladin|Warlock/Fighter/Avernian Knight/Unyielding Sentinel

Now I know what you're thinking: come on Zelink, there has been a billion of these! Sure, sure, there has. But few can amass the autodamage and personal damage potential of this one, making a heartily capable defender, a solid at-will DPR striker, and a smattering of leader. So let us begin, the cream of the crop is open to you.
The Build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Level 30
Tiefling, Paladin|Warlock, Avernian Knight, Unyielding Sentinel
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Will
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Choose Bluff or Intimidate for your Level 10 Yakuza Feature: Bluff (Level 10 Yakuza Feature)
Twofold Pact: Elemental Pact
Stalwart Guardian: Stalwart Guardian (Charisma)
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 28, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 28.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 16.

AC: 47 Fort: 45 Reflex: 42 Will: 47
HP: 186 Surges: 17 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS

Diplomacy +29, Intimidate +29, Bluff +33, Endurance +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +11, Arcana +19, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +17, Insight +16, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +17, Stealth +13, Streetwise +26, Thievery +11, Athletics +12

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Imperious Majesty
Level 4: Wrath of the Crimson Legion
Level 6: Bloodied Boon
Level 8: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 10: Wrathful Warrior (retrained to Battle Awareness at Level 24)
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Twofold Curse
Level 16: Spellscarred Invigoration
Level 18: Hellfire Blood
Level 20: Superior Will
Level 21: Weakening Challenge
Level 22: Warding Curse
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Epic Reflexes
Level 28: Arcane Familiar
Level 30: Relentless Curse

Intiative: +38

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge
Hybrid encounter 3: Otherwind Stride
Hybrid daily 5: Tyrannical Threat
Hybrid utility 6: Life's Losing Hand
Hybrid encounter 7: Touch of Command
Hybrid daily 9: Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Castigating Strike (replaces Otherwind Stride)
Hybrid daily 15: Visage of Zhudun (replaces Tyrannical Threat)
Hybrid utility 16: Hero's Defense
Hybrid encounter 17: Despair of Zhudun (replaces Touch of Command)Hybrid daily 19: Voice of the Dictator (replaces Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Hybrid utility 22: Entropic Ward
Hybrid encounter 23: Command of Execution (replaces Despair of Zhudun)
Hybrid daily 25: Discipline the Unruly (replaces Visage of Zhudun)
Hybrid encounter 27: Banish to the Void (replaces Command of Execution)
Hybrid daily 29: Word of the Sorcerer-King (replaces Voice of the Dictator)

ITEMS

Magic Legion Plate Armor +5, Heavy Shield, Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Staggering Longsword +5, Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 18), Horreb Ritual Cube (paragon tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Firewind Blade Longsword +6, Cloak of Translocation +6, Golden Ring of Teros (epic tier), Accurate symbol of the Champion's Code +6, Shadow Band, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Meliorating Godplate Armor +6, Quicksilver Blade Short sword +6, Rod of Starlight +5

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Now that you're all amazed, let's go over what this build offers. We will analyze at 30 but let's be aware that it scales down VERY well. We're all put together by 16. 

Stellar defenses:

We're rocking a base of 47/45/42/47
After we teleport its +2/+0/+2/+0
We get +4/+4/+4/+4 vs. cursed targets and we curse a LOT giving us a fairly consistent 53/49/48/51.
In addition we have two great defensive utilities, Hero's Defense and Entropic Ward, to give ourselves a little extra emergency defense. We also have the Yakuza power, for an unreliable but useful +2 to all defenses during each encounter.

Very good damage:

We use a firewind blade, Pelor's, and fire vul, what do you expect! We get to add curse most of the time, especially to our mba (Eldtrich Strike), for 2d8+3d6+80ish on an mba, giving us an average damage of nearly 100. Sure, our DPR is lower, but this number was merely to emphasize that our damage is respectable for a defender. No nova though, something to keep aware of. 

Solid Accuracy:
We're rocking a solid level+7 without CA, level+9 with CA, and we have the stellar Yakuza u2 in our pocket. Add in a couple of rerolls from items and our accuracy is better than most defenders, and generally on-par with the rest.

Fantastic Mark Punishment: 
Our Mark punishment has 3 damage instances, one from Divine Sanction (which is full damage despite being a Hybrid), one from Avernian Knight's f16, and another from Spellscarred Invigoration. By using vulnerabilities and Pelor's boon, the small damage from each becomes quite large.
Here are the calculations at 30, with the first bracket being DS, the second bracket being

Calculations

Marked and doesn’t Include me

9+Cha (9)+ Enhance (5) + Con (9) + 5 + 1 = 38 

Vul Radiant

[9+Cha (9)+ Enhance (5)+ Con (9) + Vul (5)] + [Con (9) + 5+Con (7)] + [1+Con (9)]= 68

Vul Radiant and Fire

[9+Cha (9)+ Enhance (5)+ Con (9) + Vul (5)] + [Con (9) + 5+Con (9)+ Vul (15)] + [1+Con (9)+ Vul (15)]= 100

So Basically, we're rocking 100 autodamage and weakened frequently. Having at-will teleport, boosters, and great defenses makes this one hell of a Catch-22. In addition, because this is modular, like many of my builds, you can take out some pieces if you're DM never EVER violates your mark. Or, you can also work on being even MORE defensive, to mitigate the ridiculous punishment.

Multi-attack Mark Punishment:
Neither Spellscarred Invigoration nor the level 16 feature of Avernian Knight specify 1/round. What does this mean? If the enemy tries to drop a triple-tap on your ally they're still taking two instances of auto-damage from the second two attacks. This is very unique among defenders.

Mobility:
We have at-will teleport DAMNIT!

Cheesy Implement Swapping:
Yes, yes we do have a Rakshasa Claw, allowing us the freedom to hold and discard all manners of items. Need to teleport? Grab our Incisive Dagger. Need a bonus to defenses? Aversion Staff. Cursing things? Corruption and/or Rod of Starlight. It's Cheesy, its effective, and I know you love it! 

FAQ:
Because you're all so needy!
All the Answers You Will Ever Need

Q: Why are you a Tiefling?
A: You mean besides the fire support, paladin support, and overall great support? Because I like them. So GFY thank you!

Q: How are you imparting radiant vulnerability?
A: Good catch! Besides relying upon a morninglord, which is far better, and more effective, I use a rod of starlight. Sure, it doesn't stick as long as we would like. But considering we WANT to strip curses off with bloodied boon and Elemental Pact, it will do the job just fine!

Q: Isn't relying upon Elemental Pact kinda shady?
A: No. I have the surges to burn on SWing (and I'm going to take damage, so I'm willing to heal out of combat). And with a rod of Corruption, TwoFold Curse, Bloodied Boon, and Relentless Curse you will quickly find that you no longer need to curse FAST.

Q: You have 4 encounter DS powers, isn't that excessive?
A: Is it? If you don't need one, retrain to a better power. I like Wrathful Flames to play nice with Imperious Majesty but you can switch it up. If you need more, Divine Mastery is there.

Q: How are you adding +4 to all defenses from Warlock's Curse?
A: Another good question! You guys are on top of your stuff! +2 from Warding Curse, +2 from Aversion Staff.

Q: But ZELINK how are you proficienct in staves?! Neither Warlock nor Paladin have staff proficiency!
A: Ah right you are, right you are. However Avernian Knight kindly gives us proficiency in all melee weapons. Guess what the quarterstaff is? Correct! A melee weapon. So we use our handy Rakshasa Claw to swap in an Aversion Staff to give us a nice defensive bonus.

10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Great name, very enjoyable write-up, really cool build.
Cool build, thanks for posting it. 

How are you in the action economy department? Throwing out all those DCs, DSs and curses takes a lot of minors. Your feat order is probably a bit random, but would Relentless Curse be a better pick somewhere at paragon? Or does it hardly trigger due to Bloodied Boon?
Despite some of the questions and critisms below, I really like the idea of this build.  I've been working on a Cavalier|Warlock striker and there are a number of good ideas here.

1) How would you expect the first 4 turns of combat to go?  I find for hybrid Warlocks, it is very difficult to fit in everything that I need to do.  For example, in the first turn I would like to curse + challenge + teleport + charge + use some other minor action ability + use a standard encounter power.

2) Despite Relentless Curse, Bloodied Boon, and Twofold Curse, I think cursing will be a challenging game for you.  Certainly, I don't think you should claim that you will be "rocking 100 autodamage ... frequently"
A) If you curse something, you can't recurse it unless it gets bloodied
B) You can only curse the nearest two monsters.  If something is the third nearest monster, you can't curse it.  It's unclear if you can curse the second closest monster if the nearest monster is cursed.
C) You want to curse everything for Warding Curse and Staff of Avernus, but you want to save your curses for Elemental Pact and Rod of Starlight.  Basically, you can easily curse everything quickly, and then wait for bloodied, but it's hard to time Elemental Pact and Rod of Starlight so that all your marks have both vulnerabilities every turn.

3) Avernus Staff and Helm of Able Defense and Diamond Cincture and Golden Ring of Teros all have item bonuses and do not stack

4) Accurate symbol of the Champion's Code requires Superior Implement Training

5) Shadow Ban, Horreb Ritual Cube AND Golden Ring of Teros are rare, Pelor's Blessing is a boon.  I count 11 epic tier items.  That is quite a lot of love from your DM.

6) Your teleport speed is 3, which is pretty slow for a melee defender.

7) "let's be aware that it scales down VERY well. We're all put together by 16."  I'd be interested in a level 16 build with a reasonable item budget.  

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

4) Accurate symbol of the Champion's Code requires Superior Implement Training

I believe you can benefit from the symbol's properties (DS/DC boost) as long you're proficient with holy symbols.
Superior Implement Training grants you access to the Accurate property only, which isn't important if he's not attacking with it.
As to why the Accurate symbol: because it costs the same as a non-Accurate one, so why not. 
As to why the Accurate symbol: because it costs the same as a non-Accurate one, so why not. 

Because it's weird and confusing?

Because it's weird and confusing?

I guess, I can see why it can be an issue when presenting a build.

My personal experience would be to buy the superior implement versions, even with no space for the feat, just because.
Not really relevant though.

Maybe leaving out the feat was an omission?
I don't know how valuable a +1 to attack with implements at that level is, especially when relying more on Estrike.
Typically you search on the offline builder and it lines to give you the superior implements first.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
6) Your teleport speed is 3, which is pretty slow for a melee defender.

He mentions it in the description, but not in the build itself that he plans to have an Incisive Dagger to swap in when needed. I'm not sure what his item budget is at, but at the least +4 would give you good mobility for what amounts to chump change at 30.

You get your arcane familiar Rakshasa Clawat level 28 so what the heck are you doing before that for all that flashy staff/rod switching you're dependent on and how can you claim it scales down amazingly? This looks like is a perfectly decent paladin build with a side of warlock powers for the most part.

The Rakshasa Clawswitching itself would make almost any DM frown, the rules state the DM can limit your free actions if you're taking too many of them. I understand switching between 2 weapons every round, but switching between 4 off-turn is pushing the limits, especially when it's used so opportunistically. That's 7-8 free actions.

Basically the point is that the extra punishment is attained through rather uncertain methods. First we're assuming a Morninglord when there's no guarantee of it. Then the elemental pact boon which has an unknown time of arrival and dubious effectiveness (can't put the vulnerability on an already cursed enemy). Then we get into the feverous weapon switching cheese. Everything else is perfectly fine but basically just decent.

1) Don't Challenge. Sanction. Frankly, my first turn I expect to be moved. I always play with movement enabling leaders. If you don't have one, secrets of Belial for the Battlemind u16 for a free teleport.

Thus your first turn is free action move, minor action Burst 5 Sanction, minor action curse, standard action some power.

2) It's really quite trivial. And you continue to overstate the difficulty of it. You don't play alone, so talk to your allies. Do they plan on dropping a couple standards? Novaing the elite? blasting away some minions? Change your curse targets as appropriate and use Relentless Curse and the Rod of Corruption judiciously. I've played this build a ton in paragon and it's rarely been a problem. You're not waiting for elemental Boon on EVERYTHING. You're using elemental boon on targets you and your party have dictating for you to lock down. Large distiction.
Besides, Elemental Boon accounts for around 24% of the damage in paragon and 30% in epic. So you get 100% versus your high priority targets and 70% against lower priority? Sounds good to me.

3)True, I did forget the item bonus of HoAD, but really the helm is there for +2 to all defenses until teleporting and curses kicks in. Similarly, Teros was there because I didn't like a lot of other rings and that one provided a bonus until curse kicked in. I honestly meant to grab another belt that offered an untyped bonus. So less meaningful than it seems.

4) No it doesn't

5)Teros isn't rare. And you added in 2 or 3 vestigial items like the armor and weapon. Thats just nitpicking items that I had relatively thrown together. Which means that I have 2 rares and less than 8 epic items by level 30? That sounds fine to me. If you worry about gold cost (I've never played with a DM who calcs that, we usually get LFRish items: 1/level), knock the symbol down 1 and the Rod down 1 enhancement.

6) Nope, its actually 8, I just didn't include teleporting speed bosting items in my item list. Because I assume most will figure out that leaving it as a teleport 3 is silly. Come on kids.

7) Reasonable item budget? Come on. It's totally reasonable by 30. For 16 you just scale down to +3/+4 items and remove a bunch of feats and powers. Voila, done.  
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Nice build, thanks for sharing.
Looks pretty sweet, but can I ask you if you can map out where the +80 damage attached to Eldritch Strike comes from? I'm playing around with some lower-level versions, and it's really paling in comparison.

Wednesday Character:

Dredge, Level 2 Revenant!Githzerai Night Stalker Assassin

Show

Dredge, level 2
Revenant, Assassin
Build: Night Stalker Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Assassin: Black Flame Form
Choose your Race in Life: Githzerai
Background: Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 29 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +12, Thievery +11, Bluff +10, Acrobatics +11, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2, Streetwise +5, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Agile Recovery

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Light Shield, Flensing Fullblade +1, Helm of Seven Deaths, Magic Ki Focus +1

Friday Character:

Snow, Level 3 Razorclaw Shifter Flashing Blade Scout

Show

Snow, level 3
Razorclaw Shifter, Scout
Two-Weapon Style: Flashing Blade Mastery
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Ambush Expertise
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Watchful Rest
Background: River Smuggler (River Smuggler Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 16
HP: 37 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +10, Perception +10, Streetwise +8, Acrobatics +13, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +2, Religion +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
Level 2 Scout Utility Power: Invigorating Stride

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Sack (8), Relentless Spiked chain +1, Dagger, Quickhit Braces (heroic tier)

Saturday Characters:

Vorgh, Level 15 Human Storm Sorcerer|Blizzard Mage

Show

Vorgh, level 15
Human, Sorcerer, Blizzard Mage
Build: Storm Sorcerer
Spell Source: Storm Magic
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics)
Arcane Admixture Power: Flame Spiral
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 20, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 24.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Reflex: 29 Will: 33
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +21, Arcana +15, Acrobatics +19, Bluff +21, Insight +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +14, Heal +13, History +12, Intimidate +18, Nature +13, Perception +13, Religion +12, Stealth +16, Streetwise +18, Thievery +16, Athletics +10

FEATS
Human: Staff Expertise
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 6: Grounding Shot
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Against All Odds (retrained to Repel Charge at Level 11)
Level 11: War Wizardry
Level 12: Jack of All Trades
Level 14: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike
Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Solkara's Wave
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Ice Dragon's Teeth
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Earthquake Strike
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar
Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins
Sorcerer utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer daily 5: Palest Flames
Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm
Sorcerer daily 9: Howling Hurricane
Sorcerer utility 10: Narrow Escape
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder Breath (replaces Thundering Roar)
Sorcerer daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Ice Javelins)

ITEMS
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of Fury (paragon tier), Raven Cloak +3, Staff of Ruin +3, Robe of Defying Flames Githweave Armor +3, Gloves of Ice (paragon tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Ring of Borrowed Spells, Fundamental Ice (heroic tier) (5), Foe Stone (paragon tier)

Sheska, Level 15 Human Brawler Fighter|Shock Trooper

Show

Sheska, level 15
Human, Fighter, Shock Trooper
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 34 Reflex: 27 Will: 29
HP: 112 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +13, Endurance +15, Heal +19, Athletics +21, History +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +11, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +14, Insight +14, Nature +14, Perception +14, Religion +11, Stealth +12, Streetwise +8, Thievery +12

FEATS
Human: Master at Arms
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
Level 4: Brawler Guard
Level 6: Inescapable Hold
Level 8: Focused Superiority (retrained to Striking Resurgence at Level 11)
Level 10: Brutal Brawler
Level 11: Deft Hurler Style
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Marked Scourge

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Power User Choice: Direct the Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Pitiless Grapple
Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded
Fighter encounter 13: Stranglehold (replaces Steel Serpent Strike)
Fighter daily 15: Dust Storm Assault (replaces Driving Attack)

ITEMS
Power Jewel (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Spiked gauntlet of Great Opportunity +2, Pileus Helm (Level 6), Rope of Slave Fighting (heroic tier), Battlestrider Greaves (paragon tier), Lightning Javelin +3, Amulet of False Life +3, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds

Mari, Level 15 Human Archery Ranger|Battlefield Archer

Show

Mari, level 15
Human, Ranger, Battlefield Archer
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger: Prime Shot
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 24, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 32 Fort: 28 Reflex: 31 Will: 28
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +19, Nature +19, Stealth +22, Dungeoneering +19, Acrobatics +21, Perception +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +12, Heal +14, History +10, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +10, Streetwise +11, Thievery +16, Athletics +8

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 1: Crossbow Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses
Level 4: Predatory Action
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 8: Lethal Hunter
Level 10: Grounding Shot
Level 11: Steady Shooter
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 14: Shadow of the Wild

POWERS
Power User Choice: Rapid Shot
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger daily 1: Sure Shot
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Ranger utility 6: Healing Lore
Ranger encounter 7: Biting Volley
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Defensive Volley
Ranger encounter 13: Pinning Strike (replaces Two-Fanged Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Sure Shot)

ITEMS
Swiftshot Superior crossbow +3, Feytouched Earthhide Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Tattoo of Bloodied Chains (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Endless Quiver, Lightning Arrow +2 (4), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Stone of Wind (paragon tier)

Sunday Character:

Bowen, Level 1 Half-Elf Euphoric Ardent

Show

Bowen, level 1
Half-Elf, Ardent
Build: Euphoric Ardent
Ardent Mantle: Mantle of Elation
Half-Elf Power Selection: Knack for Success
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 18, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Endurance +8, Diplomacy +12, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Thievery +1, Athletics -2

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training

POWERS
Ardent at-will 1: Intent Laid Bare
Ardent at-will 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent daily 1: Battleborn Acuity

ITEMS
Falchion, Hide Armor

Absolutely. This is a rough breakdown at 30:

2d8+3d6+
Cha-9
Enhance-6
Item-6
Firewind-7
Vul-15
Vul-15
Pelor’s 7
Pelor’s 7
Shard-5
Hellfire Blood-1

Edit: I Also added notes about mark punishment against multi-attackers

Solid work dude, nice job!
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Nice build *drops a giant rock on it*
Using rod of starlight to trigger Pelor's Boon is the definition of cheese.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Generally seems good, but some issues:
Pelor's Boon, by RAW, fades away after 5 levels(as do all boons) unless the DM explicitly says otherwise and the build is clearly assuming that it has it for at least 12 or so levels. That's not going to happen in most games unless the DM is extremely generous.

Wrathful Warrior satisfies a prereq, so it can't be retrained out of even if the new option also satisfies that same prereq(RC 87)

Attack can mean attack power - so a triple tap via single power use will only trigger your options once.

I think the use of an Aversion Staff should expect serious ETV - Avernian Knight doesn't give proficiency with staves as an implement; you're allowed to use melee weapons that you have proficiency with as implements. That's exactly what Monks get and ime, Monks need proficiency with staves as implements in order to wield them one-handed - because it isn't usable as a melee weapon when held one-handed.

Arcane Familiar should be pushed up to 16th, Spellscarred Invigoration goes to 18th, and Hellfire Blood pushed back to 26th. This makes your build be able to item swap at 16th.

A heads up - they put the wrong definition of Cursed Affinity into compendium, listing it as an immediate reaction of all things, which would be the most useless boon ever. Should point it out in the build so someone using OCB/Compendium doesn't get whacked over the head at a random table and not have a copy of the book available.
Attack can also mean attack roll.
Attack can also mean attack roll.

It can, but that's not a player decision, that's a DM decision. Which is an ETV situation, not something to be counted on.
Thanks for posting the build  I'll add it to my CB tonight when I get home so I can look it over.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I was wondering: why did you choose Unyielding Sentinel over something like Destined Scion? 
Because being uncontrollable > +1 hit?
Honestly it was kind of a game time decision. Mostly because I hate Destined Scion and swore I would never build anything with it

I also love rolling 2x for my saves, and the f30 is stellar on Unyielding Sentinel

Radiant One is great for +maths, Destined Scion is great for more accuracy and +2 to saves, and other EDs like Dead God Avatar are in the mix for their interesting benefits. 
I'm not a fan of Destined Scion myself, I just can't get the voice in the back of my head that keeps whispering "but what about the +1 to hit?" to shut up. I love the F30 on Unyielding Sentinel too, I hope I get to do another silly epic one-shot soon so I get to experience it.
I just wanted to add my thanks as well! Awesome build, wish I had this a few months ago. GL.
I've been thinking about this for a few days and just decided to ask:  I assume you considered reserve maneuver, is there just not enough feat wiggle room?  It seems like it'd be worth it to grab another Lock or Paladin encounter power that's actually useable.
Nice to see this build.  Now I dont feel like I should get off my backside and write up a guide to what I was calling my napalm family quite so much, as you've already done the work to optimize the core concept into a build.
Ever consider this with the Tiefling Warfiend PP chassis for additional OA punishment (I see you have Yakuza theme, too)?  Your 'stellar defenses' should discourage most of the opposition from attacking you directly, which increases OA prospects.  (Especially if allies can assist with proning enemies adjacent to you, who you may be able to keep locked down/prone if you take Tail Trip...).

Is Tiefling Warfiend level 16 feature Burning Opportunism treated as a separate damage instance (providing an additional vulnerability tap)?

Is Tiefling Warfiend level 16 feature Burning Opportunism treated as a separate damage instance (providing an additional vulnerability tap)?

Yes, it is a separate damage instance.

Yes, it is a separate damage instance.

With Warfiend at level 16, seems like you could potentially get up to 5 vulnerability taps then if the enemy provokes an OA from you... Now all you need to do is figure out a way to hide (Secrets of Belial?) to more easily provoke ; )

2) It's really quite trivial. And you continue to overstate the difficulty of it. You don't play alone, so talk to your allies. 

This has been bugging me, so I've given some more thought to it.  I have 2 theorems: 

T1) In an optimal party, you have at most one enemy under Accursed Affinity at all times

T2) You can never have more enemies under Accursed Affinity than the maximum number of enemies bloodied at one time. 

Assumptions

1) Assume we number the enemies that we are fighting E1, E2, E3, ...  Since these numberings are arbitrary, let us suppose that E1 is the enemy that team hero wants to attack first, E2 is the enemy that we want to attack next, etc.

2) Assume that we don't kill or bloody two cursed enemies in the same action.  If we do, I believe the theroems still hold, but you should Expect Table Variance based on whether you can apply Accursed Affinity to more than one creature simulateously

3) We will refer to enemies that are bloodied with an additional B marking, and enemies that are under Accursed Affinity (AA) with an A marking.  So ABE1, BE2, AE3 means that enemies 1 and 3 are under accursed affinity, and enemies 1 and 2 are bloodied.

Theroem1

By "optimal party" I mean a party that kills E1 before attacking E2, kills E2 before attacking E3, etc.

It's generally excepted that you should focus your fire because it lowers the total number of enemy actions.

Under these conditions, 
1) We begin combat, 0 enemies are under AA
2) Team Hero bloodies E1, AA pack boon fires, E1 is no longer cursed
3) Your turn rolls around, you curse enemy E1 again, one enemy is under AA
4) Your party kills E1.  You free action curse E2.  E2 is under AA.
5) Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all enemies are dead.

Notice that during steps 1 and 2, 0 enemies are under AA.  Under steps 3 and 4, 1 enemy (the current target) is under AA.

Theroem2

Suppose your party is willing to act unoptimally in order to increase the number of enemies that you can have under AA at one time.  Suppose, for example, that team hero is willing to bloody N enemies without killing them for some reason, to allow your build to play better.  By "maximum number of enemies bloodied at one time" I mean that you can have 5 enemies under AA if at some time earlier in the combat, you had 5 enemies bloodied.

Now our sequence looks like this:

1) No enemies bloodied
2) Bloody E1, trigger BB
3) You get a turn, recurse E1, 1 enemy under AA
4) Your party focuses on E2, leaving bloodied E1 to do whatever.
5) E2 bloodied
6) Your turn, ABE2, 2 enemies under AA
7) Party turns to attack E3, leaving bloodied E1, E2 under AA
8) Repeat steps 5, 6, 7 until N enemies under AA.
9) Kill an enemy under AA.  Free action curse next enemy, N enemies under AA
10) Bloody EN+1
11) On your turn, curse enemy EN+1, it is under AA, N enemies under AA
12) Repeat steps 9 - 11 until all enemies killed

Notice how no more than N enemies ever are under AA, often less.

Other

These are optimal conditions.  Under many circumstances you will not even maintain these benchmarks.  For example, suppose the ordering for killing enemies is different than the order in which you would like to mark/get AA against them.  Then your number one marked target gets AA for the entire battle, but no other enemy suffers it.

You can only curse as a free action if an enemy dies, not if they are bloodied.  If multiple enemies get bloodied before it's your turn again, you can only AA one enemy for that entire burst.  Effectively, Theroem 2 should state "You can never have more enemies under AA than the maximum of (the number of enemies bloodied at one time) AND (the turn of the combat).  In practice, it will be much less than this number. 

I think it's reasonable, given that team hero wins initiative and immediately bloodies an enemy, to say that most of the time, you will have a single enemy under AA at one time.

If you want to get everything cursed so that you can increase your defenses, it will be much worse.

Thoughts?

Scorpion Knight: High Armor, High Damage in Heroic Safe Haven: Stay near me and never get hit Eldritch Avenger: Crit Fishing at level 12, LFR friendly

Sign In to post comments