Contest: Win the Game

42 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Ultimate Topdeck

Your opponent has 16 life, two untapped Vampire Nighthawks, and a tapped Vampire Nocturnus showing Sign in Blood. Under that, he has three thousand Swamps he bought on eBay. He has five such swamps in play (untapped) and no cards in hand.
You have: a Fencing Ace enchanted with Eel Umbra; an Enormous Baloth enchanted with Lure; a Fervor; and seven untapped Shimmering Lands with as many counters as a boy could want. You're on 102 life. However you've just drawn your last card, which you will have to use to win the game this turn. This is the card you will design. 

In before Laboratory Maniac.

I'll come back later to post a real card, though.

(Also, do you mean Gemstone Mines)?

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Forced Trauma
Sorcery
Target player reveals cards from his or her library until he or she reveals three nonland cards, then puts those cards into his or her graveyard.
"Something amiss?"

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Wild Revolt 
Sorcery
Target player loses life equal to the amount of lands he or she controls.
Shouldn't of bought those thousand swamps off ebay.

The fact that he has 2 nighthawks out of a 3,000 + deck makes me call hacks.

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Deus Ex Machina

Sorcery
Target player that has 16 life and controls two untapped Vampire Nighthawks and a tapped Vampire Nocturnus showing Sign in Blood loses the game. 
"It's a good job I planned for this!"
I'd like to think that every game Mark Rosewater plays ends up like this. =)

As for a card, I went with something that a casual player might actually play in an enchantment deck:

Academy Unifier
Creature - Human Wizard
Hexproof, unblockable
Enchanted creatures you control gain all abilities of Academy Unifier except for this one.
"Most classes here teach you valuable skills; this one brings you all together."
5/5
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
What is a shimmering land? Assuming I have infinite mana: Beacon of ember spikes        sorcery (C)            Cardname deals 1 damage to target player then shuffle cardname in your library and draw a card.
Seize The Living
Sorcery
Destroy x target creatures. Each creature destroyed this way deals damage equal to its power to it controller.

The orginal version was:
Seize The Living
Sorcery
{Same as above} 
I meant "Vivid", as in Vivid Creek and the rest. No infinite mana here. And no shenanigans either. I won't stand for it.
Seize The Living
Sorcery
Destroy x target creatures. Each creature destroyed this way deals damage equal to its power to it controller.

Well, you don't have 8 mana to kill all three opposing creatures, and the lifelink on the Nighthawks means that you wouldn't have the damage to kill your opponent anyway...
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Reckless Rush
Sorcery
Target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn. If X is 5 or more, that creature gets an additional +X/+0 until end of turn, and sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step.

Level 1 Judge

Moment of Heroism -
Sorcery
Creatures you control gets +4/+4 and gains trample, hexproof and first strike until end of turn.
Then, shuffle ~ into its owner's library.
"In this finest hour, our acts of heroism will shine like a beacon towards victory."

Cannonball Fling -
Instant
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Then, sacrifice a creature and ~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Lead the Mob 
Sorcery
Target creature gets +x/+0 and gains intimidate until end of turn, where x is the total power among creatures you control.
Nobody wants to get in the way of the guy leading the small army of villagers wielding pitchforks and calling for blood. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
So... The rundown of the battle if you alpha strike:

Swing with Ace, deal a total of four damage, but Baloth gets dealt eight damage by the Nighthawks it is blocked by and since they have lifelink they gain back any life they lost and gain four more. So many ways to play this, but I think I'll stick with a damage kill...

Matyr's Warcry :gwm:
Instant
Sacrifice a creature. Target creature gains +X/+X where X is the sacrificed creatures power.
"To live for nothing, or die for my brothers in arms. You fools made the choice all too clear,"

Edit: Corrected the Alpha Strike rundown. Thanks for pointing that out Raltir. 
Cannonball Fling -
Instant
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Then, sacrifice a creature and ~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power and toughness to target creature or player. 

I know Fling isn't the greatest card but holy jeez, this is like twelve times as good. Using this with a 1/1 does 10 damage.
Cannonball Fling -
Instant
Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Then, sacrifice a creature and ~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power and toughness to target creature or player. 

I know Fling isn't the greatest card but holy jeez, this is like twelve times as good. Using this with a 1/1 does 10 damage.

Hmm, good point. Edit: Wait a sec, using it on a 1/1 only does 5, since if you sac it, it can't deal combat damage.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I'm just going to go ahead and design a card despite not really understanding what it is I am supposed to be doing.

Knowledge is Power
Instant
Target creature gets +X/+X and trample where X is the number of cards in your library. 
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Cannonball Fling -
Instant

Hmm, good point. Edit: Wait a sec, using it on a 1/1 only does 5, since if you sac it, it can't deal combat damage.

Power and tougness.
Cannonball Fling -
Instant

Not the way you worded it, actually - dealing damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power *and* toughness would equal 10 damage if you used it on a 1/1. A Wild Nacatl into Giant Growth into your card would be instant 20 to the face.

If you were to make it power *or* toughness, though, you'd still only deal 15 damage; your opponent is at 16.

[Edit]: Sarnath'ed! The first part, anyway.
Arcadian Surge
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +X/+0 and cannot be blocked this turn, where X is the number of cards in your graveyard, then shuffle all cards in your graveyard into your library.

(( I'm assuming at least 2 cards reside in your graveyard, which would make the Ace deal 8 and the Baloth 9.  Also, Shockwave, the Nighthawks are 4/4 because of the Nocturnis revealing Sign in Blood, so your alpha strike math was wrong.  I still like your suggested answer, though.  ))
Sparks of Valakut

sorcery

CARDNAME deals X-5 damage to target player, where X is the highest number of nontoken lands with the same name between lands that can produce red mana you control.

Shuffle CARDNAME in your deck.

Draw a card.

If fencing ace deals two damage before the vampire nighthawk does and my opponent is at two he dies, I think.
@Raltir: Thanks, for both the bit I missed on Nocturnis and for the thumbs up. Kind of feel embarrassed about missing that, but it isn't a card I have had been able to play with yet.
Seize The Living
Sorcery

Well, you don't have 8 mana to kill all three opposing creatures, and the lifelink on the Nighthawks means that you wouldn't have the damage to kill your opponent anyway...

Crud... stupid lifelink. The intention was to just destroy the nighthawks, then swing. The tapped nocturnus doesn't factor in then. I could just modify the design to avoid lifelink/infect/other stuff shenanigans.

Seize the Living 
Sorcery
Destroy x target creatures. For each creature destroyed this way, its controller loses life equal to its power. 
Cannonball Fling -
Instant

Power and tougness.

Gah, I don't even remember typing in toughness. Thx guys.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Mantra of Madness

Sorcery
Each player exiles the top four cards of his or her library.  If two or more cards with the same name are exiled this way, repeat this process

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Seize the Ground

Sorcery

Creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control, and can't be blocked by creatures with Flying this turn.

We must ignore the threats above, for they can't actually hurt us. We will still do what we do.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Searing Knowledge

Enchantment
If you would draw a card, ~ deals 3 damage to target player instead.
Whenever a creature you control deals damage, draw cards equal to the damage dealt. 

yay math 
hello! i'm a signature!
Land Drain 

Sorcery
Target player loses life equal to the number of untapped lands he or she controls multiplied by X. 

swing ftw?

By the way, type : xm : without the spaces, else it doesn't show up in mana costs.

56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Land Drain 

Sorcery
Target player loses life equal to the number of untapped lands he or she controls multiplied by X. 

swing ftw?

By the way, type : xm : without the spaces, else it doesn't show up in mana costs.

thanks
i swear it used to work 
hello! i'm a signature!
Land Drain 

Sorcery

swing ftw?

thanks
i swear it used to work 

Just a heads up, but said player could always tap out in respond to the spell.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Land Drain 

Sorcery

swing ftw?

thanks
i swear it used to work 

Just a heads up, but said player could always tap out in respond to the spell.

brb changing card
hello! i'm a signature!
Conquer the Sky
Sorcery
Untap all creatures with flying and gain control of them until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Bump... Would like to know who had the best win...
Blood Payment
Enchantment
Pay 2 life: Put a 1/1 black vampire creature token with lifelink onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
True predators know that gold is just another shiny rock.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Enchantment Reinforcement

Enchantment

Enchanted creatures you control get +3/+3 and can't be blocked

Whenenever an aura enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an aura and reveal it. If you do, put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwords.  

For the strong, there is determination, persistence and bravery. For the weak, there is help. 
Some comments. Do with them as you see fit.

Forced Trauma- I did't intend for a mill victory; instead I tried for simplicity. And yet I have no avanue of complaint. The awareness needed is not reduced; only the amount of calculation. And yours is a balanced card and a twist on the traditional "grind" hunt. And yet it is dry, and prhaps bits at mine honour (that was an initial reaction). My attempts to smoothe out and simplify the game were seiaed upon to deliver an easy win. Bt you have onstrated a low cunning. 7/10
Wild Revolt- Doesn't win, but never mind, never mind. An interesting card, but it would have worked just as well (and been more in keeping with the pie of colour) if it made an X/X thingy. 6/10
Deus Ex Machina- An "amusing" "joke" "entry". 3.
Academy Bro- This is how creatures look nowadays, so the balance is fine. And you hit or exactsies. I admire your use of synergy with auras, and the clever route of evading lifelink. 8/10  
Seize the Living- Seems like a very good card. Outright destroying multiple creaures while usually doing 4+ damage to the opponent is a extraordinaly powerful effect. Careful with it, bro. But the idea of playing it makes me mildly over the weather. 7/10
Reckless Rush- (Brute force) An entry using the unblockable doublestrike to bloody aplomb. You were the first. "If X is 5..." is a nice mechanic, and pleases me. Narrow though. I guess you'd play it with trample and evasion. That's just about good enough fo me. 6/10
Cannonball Fling- A crafty entry. This is a card I would play with, and works very well in the situation forthright. It is good though. I mean it is a good card. 9/10
Lead the Mob- (Brute Force) Another one like Reckless Rush. Not the kind of effect I've seen before. It is situational, and rather odd.Perhaps it is "win more" and perhaps it is not. 7/10
Martyr's Warcry- This is the card I designed mentally whilst creating the scenario. How could it not get a rather high score? 8/10
 Knowlede is Power: can't be cast, wouldn't do anything. The design pause me for a second but that's all that I'll say. 5/10+ MERCY
Arcadian Surge- You shouldn't assume. Your aroggance... displeases me. As for the design, it's fairly odd, but would won games. Not sure+X/+0 is a green blue ability. The flavour's odd too. 7/10
Sparks of Valakur- Exactsies. If the lands are all the same. Which would be weird because of foursies. Again, your arrogance... displeases me. trange card likes. Not sure what weirdo deck it's good in. 6/10
Mantra of Madness- Same grumble as for the very first entry. This is good against basic lands and little else from what I can tell (apart from Relentless Rats and its ilk). Why wouldyou hate on mono colour decks with basic lands? Down with that sort of thing! 5/10+ ENMITY
Seize the Ground- Really rather a powerful card in some decks. A sutle solution, and a nice one. 7/10
Searing Knowledge- Risk and reward. Orumpholumpholum. Pretty good card likes. One turn kills AND THAT.  Altough...I feel little warmth t'wards it. 6/10
Conquer the Skies- Very nice. An "EDH Commander" card, I feel emburdened to add. You picked the mana cost well. Flying is probably the perfect keywor for an effect like this to seek out- assuring damage to the opponent 'most every time(unless...reach)- and this only adds to my fondness for the card. But I'd fear to run it, much as I'd love the stories it might create. 8/10
Blood Payment- This is a card I could grow to like. The lifelink makes me want to play this card; surely many magic players would feel the same way. And you were the only one to notice that I gave you 102 life. AND you used the Fervor. 9/10 
Encantment Reinforcement- Brazenly, obnoxiously powerful. Damage, might, card advantage, and tutoring; balaced by being narrow, situational, expensive, and constrictive to colour. I feel no love to the card. But I do like Auras. 6/10 
This was an enjoyable game, hope to play one again sometime.

...In fact, kind of want to make an interesting sceneario and see what others would make for it.

Also... Any chance we could see the card you made? Just out of curiosity mostly.

Mantra of Madness- Same grumble as for the very first entry. This is good against basic lands and little else from what I can tell (apart from Relentless Rats and its ilk). Why wouldyou hate on mono colour decks with basic lands? Down with that sort of thing! 5/10+ ENMITY

My note: it mills globally, and checks globally.  The mill repeats if two same-named cards are flipped up between ALL players.  So really, it hates on the mirror match ang goes massive in multiplayer.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

My card might not be the best for constructed, but in limited, a lot of the time it just turns a board stall into "I win"

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Whooh, tied for 1st!
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
hey i remember when i made this contest
blah blah metal lyrics
Sign In to post comments