Magic 2014 is now on Gatherer

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gatherer has been updated and now includes Magic 2014. Lots of text updates.

Many cards such as Hunted Lammasu and Varchild's War-Riders now have the affected player put the tokens onto the battlefield.

Old wording:
When Hunted Lammasu enters the battlefield, put a 4/4 black Horror creature token onto the battlefield under target opponent's control.

New wording:
When Hunted Lammasu enters the battlefield, target opponent puts a 4/4 black Horror creature token onto the battlefield.

New Anti-Magic Aura wording:
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't be the target of spells and can't be enchanted by other Auras.
Do they intend to change old cards to use the new "Exile [object] until [event]" template or not?  They haven't touched Oblivion Ring, Venser, the Sojourner, Fiend Hunter, Journey to Nowhere, and probably a bunch of others I didn't bother to check.

Brothers Yamazaki needs to have its text and/or rulings changed to fit with the new legend rule.

It's good that they finally fixed Homura's Essence, but like the rest of its cycle, it has P/T when it's not supposed to, and Budoka Pupil and Cunning Bandit (and Callow Jushi and Hired Muscle) still have their rules text broken.

(Also, why is this set "Magic 2014 Core Set" when the last four core sets have all just been "Magic 201X"?) 
Do they intend to change old cards to use the new "Exile [object] until [event]" template or not?  They haven't touched Oblivion Ring, Venser, the Sojourner, Fiend Hunter, Journey to Nowhere, and probably a bunch of others I didn't bother to check.

No. They work fine as printed. Changing them would be a functional change, so I would not expect to see their wording changed.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

No. That would be a functional change.
Brothers Yamazaki needs to have its text and/or rulings changed to fit with the new legend rule.

My guess is the text will stay the same, which necessitates ruling changes. If the rulings don't change, we can (and should) propose that they change in the Requested Rulings for Gatherer thread

No. They work fine as printed. Changing them would be a functional change, so I would not expect to see their wording changed.

How would it be a functional change?  As the reminder text for Colossal Whale makes clear, the exiled cards return under their owner's control.  There is the issue of whether the new "until" usage creates a delayed trigger or not, but we haven't gotten enough information on the upcoming rules changes to know for sure.
Delve got new shorter reminder text. Logic Knot now says "Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for ."

The Gatherer rulings have not been updated yet. I think they will probably get updated sometime after the Magic 2014 FAQ is released.
Chaos Orb is no longer able to destroy tokens it lands on, if anyone cares.

Duplicant is going back to the old "most recent creature card" template that it had before linked abilities became a thing, because Strionic Resonator exists now.

Cards that previously told you to put a token onto the battlefield under another player's control will now simply tell the opponent to do the putting; Varchild's War-Riders becomes "Cumulative upkeep - Have an opponent put a 1/1 token..."

How would it be a functional change?  As the reminder text for Colossal Whale makes clear, the exiled cards return under their owner's control.  There is the issue of whether the new "until" usage creates a delayed trigger or not, but we haven't gotten enough information on the upcoming rules changes to know for sure.

The new wording was to close the 'bounce' loophole with O-Ring that allowed you to permanently exile something, thus it would be a functional change.
Yay! This is my favorite part of new set releases.

Normally, the update bulletin is posted before the set is on Gatherer. I'm not going to bother trying to find and categorize all changes if we're going to get that soon; I'd rather wait and then see if there was any unannounced changes. I will just note that I'm happy that Bant finally has its proper "for as long as" and that Soltari Guerrillas finally has the right mana cost order.
Convoke also had its reminder text updated like delve's. Conclave Phalanx now says "Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's color."
I don't see any changes to Isochron Scepter or Oblivion Ring. I guess we'll get to choose one of the exiled cards?
They cleaned up Fire Dragon's wording. They have made this change to a number of cards such as Sudden Impact, but they keep missing Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded.

They also fixed the issue with Venarian Gold where X is zero while it is on the battlefield, but they did not fix Kangee, Aerie Keeper or Verdeloth the Ancient.
I don't see any changes to Isochron Scepter or Oblivion Ring. I guess we'll get to choose one of the exiled cards?

Matt Tabak has said we'll get our answer when the Magic 2014 rules are actually released.

It never should have been able to in the first place. Older cards that mention "cards" have consistently been erratad to say "nontoken BLAH", simply for clarity, because tokens aren't cards. It's a change in template only.
Ogre Marauder should have gotten a fix. It should be just like Shrouded Serpent: "Whenever Ogre Marauder attacks, defending player may sacrifice a creature. If he or she doesn't, Ogre Marauder can't be blocked this turn."

It was reported a while ago.

It never should have been able to in the first place. Older cards that mention "cards" have consistently been erratad to say "nontoken BLAH", simply for clarity, because tokens aren't cards. It's a change in template only.

I wish Beasts of Bogardan would get fixed too. It keeps getting missed.

Gaea's Touch got an interesting change this update. It now has an activated ability. I guess its old ability did not jive with the new rules.
They also fixed the issue with Venarian Gold where X is zero while it is on the battlefield, but they did not fix Kangee, Aerie Keeper or Verdeloth the Ancient.

Say, isn't this technically an issue with almost any costed permanent card as well?

costed permanent cards usually have enters-the-battlefield replacement effects associated to X. So when checking how such a spell would look like on the battlefield, it would be seen to have an ability referring to an X which equals zero (since the "X" refers to the in its cost, which is always zero on the battlefield).

Gaea's Touch  got an interesting change this update. It now has an activated ability. I guess its old ability did not jive with the new rules.

I'm a bit surprised, I thought it could have worked as a static ability with a few tweaks. Maybe they deemed it to be too confusing? Or maybe they turned "land drops per turn" into an official term like maximum-hand-size?
I was really expecting Gaea's Touch to read, "You may play an additional land on each of your turns, if you played a basic forest."

I don't think there was a way to preserve functionality under the new rules.

Level 1 Judge

Gaea's Touch got an interesting change this update. It now has an activated ability. I guess its old ability did not jive with the new rules.

So if I bounce and replay Gaea's Touch then I get to use it twice, but if I flicker an Oracle of Mul Daya then I dont?

EDIT: isnt this activated ability now a functional change when it comes to things that care about when you play a land? (Fastbond, for example) 

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Correct. This is a side effect of the rules for extra land plays becoming simplified. Since land plays are no longer tied to their source, there's no way to enforce that the extra land play be used on a forest.
Correct. This is a side effect of the rules for extra land plays becoming simplified. Since land plays are no longer tied to their source, there's no way to enforce that the extra land play be used on a forest.

"You may play an additional forest this turn"?

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Sure, but that can get confusing. Here's a situation:

I control Oracle of Mul Daya, then I play two swamps off the top of my library. You blade the Oracle, and then I play Gaea's Touch. May I play a forest from my hand?

I feel like the intention is no, but the propsed wording seems to imply otherwise.
Sure, but that can get confusing. Here's a situation:

I control Oracle of Mul Daya, then I play two swamps off the top of my library. You blade the Oracle, and then I play Gaea's Touch. May I play a forest from my hand?

I feel like the intention is no, but the propsed wording seems to imply otherwise.

Why would the intention be no? The point of Gaea's Touch is that it lets you play an extra land as long as that land is a forest.

Hmm, maybe I see what you mean though. Looking back at the turn you did play an extra land, but it wasnt a forest. Looking at the number of land drops you have now, you have used them all up (under the crazy new M14 rules). One of the things I dont like about this rule is how it makes the game retroactive. How could you have used something up before you got it?

However, under the new Oracle wording for Gaea's Touch or under my proposal, you would still get to get a forest out after playing 2 swamps and losing a Oracle, right?  

They could add a line to the Comp Rules to explain what "play an additional (land type)" means (and that looking back in time you would never the playing of a non-forest when checking to see if this extra land drop has been used).

In keeping with the new rules, if you have a Gaea's Touch and play a forest, then something triggers and in response I remove Gaea's Touch, you shouldnt get a play another land that turn (whether it is a forest or not). With it's new Oracle wording, you could still get 2 forests out as long as you remember to activate the ability for the first one.

This seems to run contrary to what the new rules were trying to achieve, and make it "one rule for one and one rule for another". Why hasnt Oracle of Mul Daya got an activated ability now? Why doesnt Explore give the player an activated ability now?

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
EDIT: isnt this activated ability now a functional change when it comes to things that care about when you play a land? (Fastbond, for example)

Yes, but the original says 'put', so an argument can be made that it doesn't really matter.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yes, but the original says 'put', so an argument can be made that it doesn't really matter.

But that original wording never worked, did it?

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
One of the things I dont like about this rule is how it makes the game retroactive. How could you have used something up before you got it?

The same way that if you cast two spells and then cast Rule of Law, all of a sudden you can't cast any more spells this turn.

But that original wording never worked, did it?

It was from The Dark. That's a given.

By the way, the Magic 2014 FAQ is now posted. Most of it's pretty straightfoward (to rules-nuts like us), though we do get a glimpse into how cards like Banisher Priest actually work.
One of the things I dont like about this rule is how it makes the game retroactive. How could you have used something up before you got it?

The same way that if you cast two spells and then cast Rule of Law, all of a sudden you can't cast any more spells this turn.

OK, you make a good point about over cards being retroactive (or at least looking back to a point before they existed, if retroactive isnt the right word), but it still feels different.

Maybe because Rule of Law is putting a limitation into place, which starts applying from then on, where as Oracle of Mul Daya is granting something extra, which you either used up or didnt use up at the time.

If you play a land, cast an Oracle, and then lose the Oracle without playing a second land, then I am not asking that Explore would let you play 2 more lands: you didnt use up the Oracle's land drop while you had it, so now it's gone.
However, if you play a land, cast an Oracle, plat a second land and then lose the Oracle, why should that affect Explore?

And if it is going to affect Explore, why shouldnt it affect Gaea's Touch?

~ Tim     
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
However, if you play a land, cast an Oracle, plat a second land and then lose the Oracle, why should that affect Explore?

For the same reason this happens:

Rule of Law is in play, and I cast Look at me, I'm R&D and decide to change "one" to "two". I then cast a second spell. My opponent kills off my LAMIR&D somehow. I use an ability to drop another into play. I still can't cast another spell this turn.

And if it is going to affect Explore, why shouldnt it affect Gaea's Touch?

Because Gaea's Touch is weird enough that it can't be made to function as it may have originally been supposed to under the new paradigm, and thus, has to do something else. Like Simulacrum, Volrath's Shapeshifter, or Animate Dead, the card simply cannot function under the current rules without making it work differently.

the card simply cannot function under the current rules without making it work differently.

Does my "you may play an additional forest" (with some rules support) definately not work then?

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Does my "you may play an additional forest" (with some rules support) definately not work then?

Given the fact that they didn't do that, I would assume not.

Given the fact that they didn't do that, I would assume not.

Well I didnt suggest it until after they made the change, so... ;)

(I get that you mean that if I could have thought of it then they would have thought of it first... but thats not always correct. There is a chance they didnt think of it, and saying "if it would have worked they would have done it" doesnt actually prove that it wouldnt have worked, if you see what I mean)

-- 

EDIT (this was going to go into the last post but you replied faster than I could edit): If Oracle of Mul Daya had said "Your maximum land drops per turn is increased to 2" or just "you may play 2 lands a turn", then I wouldnt be fighting this change. That would more closely resemble your Rule of Law example and I would be far more comfortable with it.

Even "the number of lands you may play in a turn is one more than it would otherwise be".  

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
All the changes from Dragon's Maze to Magic 2014 are on Yawgatog's site.
Well, the difference there is that there's already an existing limit to how many lands you can play. It makes sense to say "you can play an additional land," but it's nonsense to say "you can cast an additional spell."

As for cards like Minamo Scrollkeeper, "Your maximum hand size is increased by one" just reads better than "You can hold an additional card in your hand." Vice versa for "Your land play limit is increased by one this turn" vs "You may play an additional land this turn."

"You may play an additional forest this turn" would of course work if they added rules support to make it work. However, I don't think it makes sense to define a new template construct and add a section to the rules just for a single card that is unlikely to see play. Instead, they just changed it so that it (a) works under the current rules, and (b) will be played correctly by the casual crowd anyhow.
As for cards like Minamo Scrollkeeper, "Your maximum hand size is increased by one" just reads better than "You can hold an additional card in your hand." Vice versa for "Your land play limit is increased by one this turn" vs "You may play an additional land this turn."

I almost brought up that effect, but then I realised that while it may be templated similarly, it works differently: handsize is only checked in the cleanup step of your own turn - you are allowed to go over it at other times. If your max handsize is 8 you can still hold 10 cards. If your max landrops is 2 you cant play 3 lands.

Blinking a Scrollkeeper didnt work like blinking an Oracle. Is there anything that does/did? And if there is, has it been changed in line with the Oracle (etc) changes? 

EDIT: Blinking Karador, Ghost Chieftain still works like how blinking an Oracle used to work, for example.

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Ogre Marauder should have gotten a fix. It should be just like Shrouded Serpent: "Whenever Ogre Marauder attacks, defending player may sacrifice a creature. If he or she doesn't, Ogre Marauder can't be blocked this turn."

It was reported a while ago.

I wish Beasts of Bogardan would get fixed too. It keeps getting missed.

Now that Beasts is probably going to bother me.

Yay! Gaea's Touch storm is still a deck! Thank you wizards!!!
Sign In to post comments