Innistrad, torment, judgment draft!

279 posts / 0 new
Last post
For the next fun draft I'm doing Innistrad, Torment, Judgment.  If people want I will do a Portal Three Kingdoms draft.

Also I plan on starting an M14 draft as soon as I can so hopefully within the next few days or so.

Pack 1:

Divine Reckoning
Butcher's Cleaver
Rally the Peasants
Grasp of Phantoms
Grave Bramble
Dead Weight
Pitchburn Devils
Stromkirk Patrol
Blazing Torch
Traveler's Amulet
Woodland Sleuth
Night Revelers
Stitcher's Apprentice
Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald 
Gimme that cleaver

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This could be interesting. I'm not that familiar with the older sets, so I'm inclined to take Dead Weight, assuming there will be plenty of targets from those older sets.
Those are the two choices.  I had to gather it up but there are 49 human cards in Innestrad and 17 each in the other two.  I didn't filter by rarity or set size.
The fact that dead weight is black and I hear tell black is the bomb in Torment makes this a very close call.

Cleaver seems nice but slow (3 and 3 to equip).... dead weight but I could be convinced otherwise.

rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Dead Weight

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Having never drafted Torment or Judgement, I would be inclined to take the Cleaver. It's colorless and should get played in every deck regardless of whether that deck has humans. I do not know the speed of the format, but since it is non-standard and involves early sets my expectation is that any equipment will be exceptional.

For non-colorless cards I like Villagers of Estwald better than Dead Weight, but that may be a personal preference. Still I remember removal being better in the early sets and creatures/equipment being better in later ones, so I would be inclined to make my picks accordingly.
Personally, I like Blazing Torch. Great deterrent early, and it's always good to be able to play direct damage in blue.

Cleaver seems too clunky unless it's on a Human. But if you can get it on Invisible Stalker, it will win the game ...

Go draft, young man, go draft!

The Odyssey block was mostly a loose collection of mini-tribes; the actual tribal block was following it, Onslaught.  Cleaver is more than likely going to be a Greatsword unless we can draft all humans in Pack 1 (not that that's necessarily bad, but it should be looked at like that in this draft).

Dead Weight is a strong pick here, as being able to cut into Black early is extremely helpful with the Tainted lands next pack -- Black actually has the best fixing in the Odyssey block because of them, almost nullifying a need to go colorless.  Torment itself is nearly 1/3 Black, so we won't have competition during pack two (we'll need a second color for Judgment packs, preferably white).  The "Nightmare" mechanic was a strong theme in Torment, even though white has since adopted it.

Torment/Judgment and Innistrad both have about the same ratio of 1 & 2 toughness creatures as 3 and above, so the removal is equally effective across blocks.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

I'm tempted to take the rare and build around it but the Cleaver should do fine
Cleaver
I am not participating in this since I hate all 3 sets in here.  But, we should realize that playing Black is a Double edged Sword.  We get Bonus Cards in Torment but less than average in Judgement.  I'd suggest going for B/G.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Cleaver.  We could take the good green card, the good blue card, the good black card, or the good colorless card.  I'll go with the one that doesn't involve a color commitment.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Greven, I'm in for the P3K draft. Love that set, know nothing about drafting it. 
I hate passing a Cleaver, but keeping in mind that we only have one pack of Human tribal I think it will be underwhelming.  Equipment in general would be a good thing to have, but maybe we'll get lucky and see a more efficient one.

That said, I have to give the edge to Dead Weight.  Slow equipment isn't good enough to pick over removal.  And even if it's late game and -2/-2 is not enough to kill a creature, it still permanently neuters it.

Villagers of Estwald is also a close pick, but again removal comes first.
The torch basically does the same thing as Dead Weight (though a little less effectively) without color commitment. But I want to force black. Dead Weight.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I hate passing a Cleaver, but keeping in mind that we only have one pack of Human tribal I think it will be underwhelming. 

You don't need human tribal for cleaver, you just need humans.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
I would say [b]Cleaver[/c]
I can think of Several picks, but it's obvious what the right one is.

My only question is, what uncommon was good enough for the guy passing to us to take it over StB?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Sever the bloodline

Unconditional removal with flashback seems good.

What uncommon was worth taking over this?
Ninja'd
Ninja'd

Cats are notoriously agile creatures

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
There aren't any commons in the set better than Sever the Bloodline. This, in addition to the tabled Bonesplitter make me question the people Greven is drafting with.
It would be an uncommon,

Looking through the list there are a few I would say are possible, the biggest one I could gueas though woild be an invisible stalker.
Sever.  If a common was missing from the pack it could have been a foil Olivia Voladren and that would be that, but at uncommon it was almost certainly stalker.  Glad the cleaver is going the other way.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Sever seems like the obvious pick.
There aren't any commons in the set better than Sever the Bloodline. This, in addition to the tabled Bonesplitter make me question the people Greven is drafting with.

Splitter was an admitted mistake.  They weren't sure how good it was gonna be in Modern Masters.
Sever

re-removal is re-removal.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
I think forcing black is the way to go with how Torment is black centric. 
Sever.  No question here.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Sever.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Sever
Juggernaut, Fiend Hunter, Murder of Crows is the short list I could make up. Spider Spawning and Burning Vengeance in triple ISD would make sense but not in this draft.

We obviously slam the Sever.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Juggernaut, Fiend Hunter, Murder of Crows is the short list I could make up. Spider Spawning and Burning Vengeance in triple ISD would make sense but not in this draft.

I dunno, I still think sever is better than those guys.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

I dunno, I still think sever is better than those guys.

I do too.
Man, there's some good stuff in here. I'd be inclined to take the blade just for alt-win.... but stitched drake is pretty sweet.

Why commit to a second color so early and heavily? I'm happy with +2.5/+0 (Trep Blade)
Why commit to a second color so early and heavily? I'm happy with +2.5/+0 (Trep Blade)

Me too.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

One worry I'd have with the Blade is that it not only enables Inn's graveyard theme, but Judgment also has creatures that do really well in the graveyard (Valor et al).  However, knowing Torment and Judgment, I'd rather go for G/B, so I'm going to go with Grizzled Outcasts.

191752181 wrote:
Sign In to post comments