what to do i do if players want to kill each other for their race.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
The DM wants to start a new campain, and one of the players race is so horribly ugly that my fellow adventures find it grounds to kill him. I'm trying to aviode this conflict, how can i do so?
The DM wants to start a new campain, and one of the players race is so horribly ugly that my fellow adventures find it grounds to kill him. I'm trying to aviode this conflict, how can i do so?

Talk to your fellow players and come up with in-game reasons why your characters have to get over their horror for at least a little while, during which the characters earch a grudging respect for one another. If you can't do that with your current character, make a character you can do it with.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

The way to handle this is very, very simple.  No player can attack another unless everyone agrees to it.
The way to handle this is very, very simple.  No player can attack another unless everyone agrees to it.

I like this one too. It allows for cool, classic conflict between members of the same party, but it players out as agreed, rather than depending on the rules to make something cool out of a situation they're not designed for.

Settle it like men. Arena battle. Good looking pc wins, ugly pc needs to wear a permanent mask. Ugly pc wins, good looking pc gets a mean scar making him ugly.
Maximus: "Are you not entertained??"

Talk to the player concerned, outside the game, about how he can stop violating Wheaton's Law or stop coming to the game.  Jerkish behaviour like that should not be acceptable and 'it's what my character would do' is not an acceptable answer. What his character would do is entirely up to him, and he can come up with something else that they would do.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Settle it like men. Arena battle. Good looking pc wins, ugly pc needs to wear a permanent mask. Ugly pc wins, good looking pc gets a mean scar making him ugly. Maximus: "Are you not entertained??"

Pretty much what I was thinking.

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

Read the two links in my signature for players ("Players: Read These!") and share them with your group. The solution is there.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Settle it like men. Arena battle. Good looking pc wins, ugly pc needs to wear a permanent mask. Ugly pc wins, good looking pc gets a mean scar making him ugly. Maximus: "Are you not entertained??"

Pretty much what I was thinking.

As long as the players agree, that can work fine. In fact, if there's that much agreement, it's probably not even necessary to even play it out, and I recommend it not be because at some point in the combat the DM is going to have to make a ruling, and it will look like he's ruling for one player over another.

I am at a loss as to why this would even happen.  It just does not make sense.  Ask the players why do their characters feel that ugliness is reason enough to kill.  Would they kill a human (or other "standard" race) with a 2CHA?  Or is it more racial hatred?  Is the race is question normally an enemy of the rest?  Even so, there are plenty of reasons to accept the PC in question.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.

Exactly what race are we talking about here? Is it a non-standard race that normally isn't a PC race?
I assume you're probably playing 3.5, or at least homebrewing some new race in 4E, since none of the available PC races in 4E (even the ones originally from the monster books) are all that unusual?

I'm having trouble picturing what race this person's character might be that would cause that kind of reaction from the entire party...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

This is what Session Zero is for.

Don't just have everyone show up with full character sheets on the first day and everyone just then knows who their companions are going to be.
Allow all players to know what every other player is going to roll.

This could mean that some players might want to make adjustments to their PC in light of the new info, and issues like this can be dealt with before game day.

Assuming it's something like a Drow and a Dwarf in the party, two races known to be hostile to each other, it can even be an opportunity to explore as long as everyone involved is on board with making it work for the good of the fun. Heck, that bit of tension and jabs at each other could be entertaining. But this will require a bit of maturity and forethought to work with.

So, Session Zero. 

Exactly what race are we talking about here? Is it a non-standard race that normally isn't a PC race?
I assume you're probably playing 3.5, or at least homebrewing some new race in 4E, since none of the available PC races in 4E (even the ones originally from the monster books) are all that unusual?

I'm having trouble picturing what race this person's character might be that would cause that kind of reaction from the entire party...

MEDUSA.

Don't look at me with your ugly face!
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Don't just have everyone show up with full character sheets on the first day and everyone just then knows who their companions are going to be.

This could mean that some players might want to make adjustments to their PC in light of the new info, and issues like this can be dealt with before game day.

Assuming it's something like a Drow and a Dwarf in the party, two races known to be hostile to each other, it can even be an opportunity to explore as long as everyone involved is on board with making it work for the good of the fun. Heck, that bit of tension and jabs at each other could be entertaining. But this will require a bit of maturity and forethought to work with.

So, Session Zero. 

from what i understand, he is a home made, gaint golden human.

So, Session Zero. 

So, Session Zero. 

So, Session Zero. 

sorry for the multi quote and as i said hes a gaint golden human.
sorry for the multi quote and as i said hes a gaint golden human.

So he's a gaint golden human then?

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I'm getting kind of sick of him too, maybe he should die
Frankly the whole notion of killing someone because they are ugly is pathetic.

If the players are antagonistic, just wipe - get an angel of the beauty goddess who deems the rest of the surviving players too 'ugly' to live and kill them.

Then start gain at 'session zero' 

www.4eDM.org - A 4th Edition D&D Resource Site 

A core conceit of D&D is the party of player characters adventuring TOGETHER.  D&D is not player-vs.-player.  Whether they ever thought  they were or not, players are largely OBLIGATED to find reasons for their PC's to adventure with each other.  Players are also largely obligated to NOT insist on characters with a high level of annoyance or disruptive influence especially if it's requiring all the other players to be making the accomodation so that ONE player can get what he wants.  Yeah, basically Wheaton's Law.

If the players can't work it out then the DM has the right and the duty to force a solution, either telling multiple players that they have insufficient basis NOT to accomodate the character or that it is NOT an imposition upon the player in question to simply find some other character to play.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

I go with simple solution to a simple problem.
What? You want to attack this pc cause his butt is on his face?
Yes. It offends me.
Yo buttface, this Corellen luving tree hugging eladrin wants to kick your...face.
What? I defend my honor!

Ok onwards to arena. Beauty vs the beast. Other pc's want to place bets?
This is so entertaining to me, that I would put my planned adventure aside and just roll with it. Lol
I go with simple solution to a simple problem. What? You want to attack this pc cause his butt is on his face? Yes. It offends me. Yo buttface, this Corellen luving tree hugging eladrin wants to kick your...face. What? I defend my honor! Ok onwards to arena. Beauty vs the beast. Other pc's want to place bets? This is so entertaining to me, that I would put my planned adventure aside and just roll with it. Lol

Which is fine unless you didn't show up with the only 4 hours you have in your schedule for playing D&D to watch two OTHER players have their PC's fight in an arena while you did nothing.  D&D is a GROUP exercise and lettting two players take over the table that way makes the DM as much of a heel as the players involved.  It is unnecessary and rude to other players who are there.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

seems more like a grab them by the ears and tell them to grow up situation to me
Which is fine unless you didn't show up with the only 4 hours you have in your schedule for playing D&D to watch two OTHER players have their PC's fight in an arena while you did nothing.  D&D is a GROUP exercise and lettting two players take over the table that way makes the DM as much of a heel as the players involved.  It is unnecessary and rude to other players who are there.

Agreed. Same reason I don't do one-on-one duels with a PC and NPC/monster either. It leaves an awful lot of people with little to do. Sometimes you can gin up some other things for the rest of the group to engage with, but I think it's just best to avoid these sorts of situations.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Sign In to post comments