What are some tweaks I could do to improve my Radvoker?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's the basic setup I've cobbled together...

The feats look a little funky as I have one extra listed (Still weighing the benefits of Versatile Master vs. Power of Skill). The reason for this is that I used the homebrew button in the CB to wishlist the feats I wanted before moving them to the appropriate level slots or discarding them. 3 Deity worship won't be a problem for our game (the build requires Amaunator, Sehanine, and Corellon) as his whole thing is Sun/Moon and his "Elfy roots".

The item list is also a bit heavy due to recent loot generosity and flexibility in swapping less useful loot for more useful loot.

I'm trying to figure out how I can...

a) Improve the At-Will DPS (Mostly Hand of Radiance) through feat re-majiggery or item switcheroo and the like (during practical situations as opposed to mathammer). I feel like there should be more ways to "double-tap" this than I'm seeing.

b) Determine whether Power-of-Skill/Divine-Bolts or Versatile Master/Eldritch-[Strike/Blast] is going to be worth more for basic attack needs in the long run, and how to scrap the one to improve the other. (If PoS/DB is more useful for basics then I'd love to find some Minor Action At-Will through Versatile Master that could enhance my action economy)

-- At-Will Breakdown --

Morninglord doesn't really kick in until next level unfortunately, but Currently Hand of Radiance is one two or three creatures +20ATK 1d4+22DMG (+7 if they have any vulnerability to radiant. From Pelor's Sun Blessing. I can currently exploit this temporarily with Solar Enemy providing V5 Radiant, effectively allowing an extra +12DMG for that duration. This is moot next level when at-will V10-Rad comes into play.)

Divine Bolts trails it a bit at One or Two creatures +20ATK 1d6+19DMG (and the same vuln exploit from Pelor's Sun Blessing), but I'm not sure if the builder is taking into account the fact that Divine Bolts can be converted to Radiant damage through Crown of the Brilliant Sun, thereby benefitting from the same +3 damage that Silvery Glow gives to Hands of Radiance.

Eldritch Strike is currently doing +20ATK 1d8+12 (It can still benefit from Pelor's Blessing on a vulnerable target, but won't access all that tast Morninglord juice due to lack of Radiant damage)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Solus "SPF 9000" Wrathstar, level 15
Half-Elf, Invoker, Morninglord
Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Wrath
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Detective (Detective Benefit)
Theme: Elemental Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 22, DEX 13, INT 16, WIS 24, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 15, WIS 18, CHA 15 (Standardized convention for our group)

AC: 28 Fort: 30 Ref: 27 Will: 31
HP: 88 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Insight +23, Perception +21, Religion +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +8, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +12, Heal +14, History +10, Intimidate +10, Nature +14, Stealth +7, Streetwise +10, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Priest Feature: Spirit of Athas
Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead
Covenant of Wrath Power: Armor of Wrath
Feat Utility: Solar Enemy
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
Invoker Attack 1: Hand of Radiance
Invoker Attack 1: Lightning's Revelation
Invoker Attack 1: Brilliant Beacon
Invoker Utility 2: Divine Call
Invoker Utility 6: Demand Justice
Invoker Attack 7: Rain of Blood
Invoker Attack 9: Summon Blade Angel
Invoker Utility 10: Angelic Messenger
Morninglord Attack 11: Pure Glow
Morninglord Utility 12: Rising Sun
Invoker Attack 13: Deadly Doubt
Invoker Attack 15: Wall of Blades

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Battlewise
Level 4: Solar Enemy
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Superior Reflexes
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Power of Skill
Level 14: Silvery Glow

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Hand of Fate
Crown of the Brilliant Sun x1
Bracelet of the Radiant Storm x1
Queen's Quickbeam staff +3 x1
Accurate staff of Ruin +3 x1
Time Link Braidmail Armor +3 x1
Periapt of Cascading Health +3 x1
Diamond Cincture (heroic tier) x1
Siberys Shard of the Mage (paragon tier)
Curse Eye Tattoo x1
Avandra's Boon of Escape (level 3)
Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 13)
Stone of Light
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
====== End ======

--Near Future Wishlist-- (fun tip, I customize the names of items I want with the level where I will try to acquire them. That way I have them in the CB without getting them mixed up with current items)

[17] Champion's Ring
[17] Ring of the Radiant Storm

[16] Spark Slippers
[16] Solitaire (Aquamarine)

--Pocketed For RBA Use--
Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier) 
Drop improved defenses. It gets you a +1/2/3 in your weakest defense..let it go.

Assuming you cannot change those start up ability scores, so i'll leave that be.

Why are you focusing on at will damage when you can do such great things with your encounter powers? Also, not a single +4 item ?

Level +5 to attack seems low.

You daily choices make me sad. Certainly the invoker handbook hands out better advice than that.

Drop improved defenses. It gets you a +1/2/3 in your weakest defense..let it go.

Assuming you cannot change those start up ability scores, so i'll leave that be.

Why are you focusing on at will damage when you can do such great things with your encounter powers? Also, not a single +4 item ?

Level +5 to attack seems low.

You daily choices make me sad. Certainly the invoker handbook hands out better advice than that.

Good catch on the ID. I'm not sure why I didn't think of those not stacking.

I figure much of the radiant optimization should help at-wills and encounter/dailys equally, but I'd just like to play up the at-will aspect a bit  for more longevity.

I'm really not sure where they're keeping all the lvl 15 +4 items. +3 is the best I've found available.

I'm still not sure what the breakdown on +attack by level should be. I'm looking for it though.

As far as the daily choices go, maybe you could give me some feedback, but here's what I was thinking...

D1: Brilliant Beacon: Sustainable zone for debuffs and a save-ends radiant that exploits radiant vulnerabilities outside of my subsequent attacks. I've been trying to find ways to utilize the vulnerabilities beyond my round-by-round actions and this seemed like a good way to do it.

D5: Searing Orb (Replaced): It was nice, but the other options seemed better.

D9: Summon Blade Angel: CFlames and FourDoom seemed nice, but the summon lets me do more with my minor actions while I'm throwing out other standard action attacks. Plus he could probably find my car keys or get that thing off the roof.

D15: Wall of Blades:  I was also considering GodHammer, StormPunishment, and VilePlague, but the first two would be more useful if I was going thunder instead of radiant and all 3 were also friendly fire. WoB is a wall so I'm thinking it will have a bit more situational flexibility ("in-game map editor", not need line of sight to do its pass-through damage so it can be used in ambush or an unlikely retreat) as well as providing more out of turn instances of proccing radiant vulnerability damage.

I figured a lot of the control would come from encounters and the damage would come from at-wills/encounters, with the dailies filling in the "I need something weird right now" gaps.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. If I'm making errors in judgment then best to remedy them, eh? 

I figure much of the radiant optimization should help at-wills and encounter/dailys equally, but I'd just like to play up the at-will aspect a bit  for more longevity.

You will make your group end encounters in no time. You wont ever use your at-wills besides on granted out of turn attacks.
I see what you mean. I just have a tendency to think of contingincies for drawn out battles.

I guess my question then is what could I change to improve the results of my enounters/dailies that I'm not already doing.
These seem like they're already doing just as much good for dailies and encounters as they are at-wills anyway:
Staff Expertise
Battlewise
Solar Enemy
Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Silvery Glow
...and the rest of the feats are pretty much just defenses and setting myself up with MBA/RBA usage (of which I'd still appreciate some input on whether I should be going for both Power of Skill and Versatile Master or if one is highly superior to the other).

Something else I'm curious about... Is there some way of prolonging the effects of a vulnerability? Morninglord is going to keep things V10 for most of the encounter, but I'd like to stretch things like Solar Enemy (gain V5 or increas vuln by 5) a bit longer than two standard actions. 
I'm really not sure where they're keeping all the lvl 15 +4 items. +3 is the best I've found available.

Your group may do it differently as I see you've got some houserules going on, but the baseline distribution of magic item drops outlined in the DMG includes items up to current level+4. Thus playing by the normal rules you would have had several chances by now to encounter items at level 16 and above.

...and the rest of the feats are pretty much just defenses and setting myself up with MBA/RBA usage (of which I'd still appreciate some input on whether I should be going for both Power of Skill and Versatile Master or if one is highly superior to the other). 

What's the group setup you're playing this in? If you are granted MBAs very regularly, going for Eldritch Strike could be good. If you only get an occasional MBA from time to time, i'd rather go for Bracers of Mental Might, which will also give you +1 hit compared to your Eldritch Strike.

Something else I'm curious about... Is there some way of prolonging the effects of a vulnerability? Morninglord is going to keep things V10 for most of the encounter, but I'd like to stretch things like Solar Enemy (gain V5 or increas vuln by 5) a bit longer than two standard actions. 

What for? I think you aren't aware of how a Morninglord (especially an Invoker one) boosts a (fairly op'd) party. You don't need to stretch anything. And even if your party is not op'd enough to end it in r2, then combat is at least in the mob-up phase by then.
To answer your question anyway: There is a PP U12 that expands a ueont effect one (?) more round, iirc, but i neither remember the PP's nor the power's name. And since your PP slot is locked anyway..

Your group may do it differently as I see you've got some houserules going on, but the baseline distribution of magic item drops outlined in the DMG includes items up to current level+4. Thus playing by the normal rules you would have had several chances by now to encounter items at level 16 and above.

Huh, I always thought those were one of the hard limits to item optimization. Our group experiments with a lot of things and we've been using a loot generator that our current DM found. I'm not sure which one it is as I rarely DM 4e games.

What's the group setup you're playing this in? If you are granted MBAs very regularly, going for Eldritch Strike could be good. If you only get an occasional MBA from time to time, i'd rather go for Bracers of Mental Might, which will also give you +1 hit compared to your Eldritch Strike. 

They don't really give them out (that used to be my old marshal's job), I was more interested in being able to drop some AOs when needed (as I have some power benefits for wading in with close bursts) and make basic attacks when the situation arises. 

What for? I think you aren't aware of how a Morninglord (especially an Invoker one) boosts a (fairly op'd) party. You don't need to stretch anything. And even if your party is not op'd enough to end it in r2, then combat is at least in the mob-up phase by then.
To answer your question anyway: There is a PP U12 that expands a ueont effect one (?) more round, iirc, but i neither remember the PP's nor the power's name. And since your PP slot is locked anyway..

The reason I ask is that I will be able to keep them V10 all day, but I'd like to stretch that V15 interval out a little longer. The party is somewhat optimized, but in a very independent way. I've been considering just dropping a nice item to pickup a handful of radiant weapons for the party.

They don't really give them out (that used to be my old marshal's job), I was more interested in being able to drop some AOs when needed (as I have some power benefits for wading in with close bursts) and make basic attacks when the situation arises. 

So you neither have an OA generating mechanism nor an MBA granting leader? Definitely pick Knack for Success then. Picking another race would also be an option. You could pick the Bracers for the very rare occasion, if you have to. But i would only do it if there's a dominator/anybody else in party, that generates OAs by controlling, since Bracers are a rather important slot.

The reason I ask is that I will be able to keep them V10 all day, but I'd like to stretch that V15 interval out a little longer. The party is somewhat optimized, but in a very independent way. I've been considering just dropping a nice item to pickup a handful of radiant weapons for the party.

Or that lazy bunch agrees to work as a team for once and just picks Pervasive Light. Weapon Enchant >>> feat slot, most of the time. Of course there are other ways for radiant op, but i would have to know your exact group setup (race, build) to give advice.

Huh, I always thought those were one of the hard limits to item optimization. Our group experiments with a lot of things and we've been using a loot generator that our current DM found. I'm not sure which one it is as I rarely DM 4e games.

The standard parcels for a group of 5 are 4 items of level +1, 2, 3, and 4, and double the gold for an item of that level.  At 14th level, for example:

1 item of level 15
1 item of level 16
1 item of level 17
1 item of level 18
Gold = 2x14th level (i.e. 42000 total)

if you want to ensure that everyone receives an item, the DM could skip granting the level +4 item for 2 level +1 or +2 items (the numbers vary a bit depending on level).

The standard parcels for a group of 5 are 4 items of level +1, 2, 3, and 4, and double the gold for an item of that level.  At 14th level, for example:

1 item of level 15
1 item of level 16
1 item of level 17
1 item of level 18
Gold = 2x14th level (i.e. 42000 total)

if you want to ensure that everyone receives an item, the DM could skip granting the level +4 item for 2 level +1 or +2 items (the numbers vary a bit depending on level).

This is in direct contradiction the what is stated in the DMG, page 143.

Choose Equipment and Magic Items. Mundane equipment is much less important for higher-
level characters than it is when you’re starting out. Choose whatever standard adventuring gear you want from the tables in the
Player’s Handbook. For magic items, choose one item of your level + 1, one item of your level, and one item of your level – 1. In addition, you have gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of your level – 1. You can spend this money on rituals, potions, or other magic items, or save it for later.

Level +1, Level +0, Level-1, gold equal to Level -1.

Obviously, if your DM wants much more powerful characters, have at it.

Tresure bundles, not higher-level start rules.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein