Community wishlist - an organised thread.

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
I figured I'd make this easier on Sean to relate to the developers in time for the Expansion since it is more than likely the last time the code itself will be touched by Stainless. I'm intending for it to be for technical/bug/interface issues rather than balance ones, which they probably won't be tending to in any case (although possibly a particularly potent one may be addressed, such as Serra Ascendant last year.)

Here's how I want this to work; with each post, quote the prior one - you can spoiler the list prior to your own additions once it starts getting long - excepting these two explanatory paragraphs, which need not be reproduced. In this way, the latest post shall always contain the fullest, most up-to-date list, without any need for my editing the first post, just in case I lose interest in the game prior to the expansion or go away for some time, or become busier than I am at the time. If your request is for a particular platform, please be sure to note it. My own will only be for Steam as I have no experience with other platforms.

To start;

• Restoration of prior chat functionality; Escape key to close chat window.

• Some way in deck editor of viewing how many many symbols of each colour are in a deck for manual land editing purposes.

• A method by which in multiplayer, each player may know if and which other people have selected "random deck" as their option.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I believe you know what I would like to address.
Many people on different platforms crashing out or not being able to play at all.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

- A fix for the 'sticky' iPad screen, where cards are unresponsive to touch for several seconds
- A fix for iPad's repeated lagging. This is both in online multiplayer and in single player against the AI.
Psst, pay attention to the formatting request, please. It's intended for Sean's benefit and the community's should I becone incapable of updating the first post.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

• Some way in deck editor of viewing how many many symbols of each colour are in a deck for manual land editing purposes.

• A method by which in multiplayer, each player may know if and which other people have selected "random deck" as their option.

• Many people on different platforms crashing out or not being able to play at all.

• A fix for the 'sticky' iPad screen, where cards are unresponsive to touch for several seconds

• A fix for iPad's repeated lagging. This is both in online multiplayer and in single player against the AI.

• Bring back the Disable AI Takeover option from the previous games, and have it on by default

• Change the default sort method for the deck editor to something that's actually useful (ie: not Rarity)

• Remember that Random was the last deck selected in a custom game, instead of switching to the deck it selected when you return to the lobby

• Make the deck editor accessible from every place that it was accessible in previous versions of the game, then add a few more

• Add the ability to save multiple builds per deck

• Give players the chance to cast spells and activate abilities during the upkeep and combat damage steps even if nothing triggers during them

I feel like there's more I should add, but I'll leave it at this for now

• Many people on different platforms crashing out or not being able to play at all.

• A fix for the 'sticky' iPad screen, where cards are unresponsive to touch for several seconds

• A fix for iPad's repeated lagging. This is both in online multiplayer and in single player against the AI.

• Bring back the Disable AI Takeover option from the previous games, and have it on by default

• Change the default sort method for the deck editor to something that's actually useful (ie: not Rarity)

• Remember that Random was the last deck selected in a custom game, instead of switching to the deck it selected when you return to the lobby

• Make the deck editor accessible from every place that it was accessible in previous versions of the game, then add a few more

• Give players the chance to cast spells and activate abilities during the upkeep and combat damage steps even if nothing triggers during them

• Set combat animations to OFF by default.

Well I do agree here. This stuff needs some attention and like yesterday. Covers a good amount of ground.
Add a priority system to Duels like that of the actual card game. This is supposed to introduce new players to the real cards gradually right?  surely it should have this so they don't go "Waaaa why can't I "Activate my trap card!" whenever I want with the real cards".

No player has probably said that but I know when I learned of a priority system on these forums I was shocked it wasn't in Duels and throughout playing Duels I always thought you could activate a instant at any time without the other player passing priority. Hex has their system already in place (its the same as Magics) why don't you Wizards? :P

I feel like there's more I should add, but I'll leave it at this for now

I don't think this is a problem. I liked the new system. The players are not divided and you can always quit the game.

GoA, sorry I didn't read the OP completely. It's been a horrible day and I'm unbelievably exhausted.
Forgive.

I still want to know the answer asap.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I'm going to post this here as I don't see it: SEPARATE CHAT rooms for teams in 2HG.
FOr the Tenth TIme; the Chat System is NOT BROKEN.  It IS an Improvement.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Don't you know the new rule?
You're statement must either have meaning, or if it's drivel, it must be longer than your signature.

Show

You're statement must either have meaning, or if it's drivel, it must be longer than your signature.

Pot....kettle....

Pot....kettle....

Mine had meaning.  Smile

Edit: I can't resist a good meme, and Garrens description of the campaign has to be in there.
Blocklist is a service to the PS3 community.
First one... well, it has to be there.

Show

• Set combat animations to OFF by default

• Seperate team/all players chat in 2HG.

• Add priority system.

• If a full priority system is too hard to implement, at least enable players to choose the order of triggered abilities. Something as simple as the damage assignment UI would do it.

(Also added OrbitingCow and Nuke2099's comments to the list)
Whoo hoo

• Add priority system.

• If a full priority system is too hard to implement, at least enable players to choose the order of triggered abilities. Something as simple as the damage assignment UI would do it.

• Random deck selection unlocking cards properly in online multiplayer

You chat with all members of game in 2HG. It is ridiculous. Does muting somehow make them go away and not hear you. Anyway you have it they need a better and more functional system.
Random lobbies would be a great addition to 2015.

• Add priority system.

• Repositioning of the chat box.

I have hotlinked this thread to the Technical Issues OP.

Show

• Add priority system.

• When creating a Custom Game, the ability to choose whether AI opponents use their normal or Revenge decks.

• Swap "draw new hand" and "keep hand" back to their original positions that they've had for every other version.

That is a fine list. If somehow none of this were to make it into 2015 I would seriously never buy another product from these guys again. I think they can manage most of that in a year.

• Separate team/all players chat in 2HG.

• Add priority system.

• When creating a Custom Game, the ability to choose whether AI opponents use their normal or Revenge decks.

• Swap "draw new hand" and "keep hand" back to their original positions that they've had for every other version.

• Fix the ranking system

• Lobby Improvements:

• Get rid of 'hosting match' and 'custom match' - automate the process, so that the first person 'looking' for a match hosts, the second person 'looking' for a match joins the first. Why have 10 people hosting matches, when they could play each other? As a bonus, fix the 'that game is no longer available'

• Allow for matching opponents based on accurate ranking (implies the ranking systems needs to be fixed)

• Allow for matching opponents by 'friends'

• Allow for not being matched by folks on your 'no-play' list

• When I concede a game, let me concede the game, not the interaction I have with the other player(s), i.e. allow for proper rematches without having to sit through useless turns when the game has been decided

• Observe games, as a bonus indicate the ranking of the players (implies the ranking systems needs to be fixed)

That is a fine list. If somehow none of this were to make it into 2015 I would seriously never buy another product from these guys again. I think they can manage most of that in a year.

Most likely what they will do is take 1-5 of that list to make it happen and then leave the rest for future versions (they like slightly improving it over time to get more cash from us). Or they will only make one thing that doesn't actually matter happen.

• Get rid of 'hosting match' and 'custom match' - automate the process, so that the first person 'looking' for a match hosts, the second person 'looking' for a match joins the first. Why have 10 people hosting matches, when they could play each other? As a bonus, fix the 'that game is no longer available'

Hosting/Custom match keep a "no-play" list from being necessary. The only thing the latter might be useful for would be to keep you from playing someone who's changed their identity. (Such as the Champion_of_Magic/Mwuanno thing.) Custom's also useful if, for example, you're looking to play, but a different person/people than the last game you played, but you have no reason to put them on a no play list. I kind of vote against these two. See below.

As a side note, I would like to point out that I'm intending this for largely non-controversial improvements. I held off for awhile on the "Swap the keep/mulligan buttons back where they were" and almost didn't mention it at all just because I thought some people might prefer the new order for whatever reason. So far things have been mostly along those lines, but I thought I'd mention it before anything more debate-worthy popped on the list.

Feel free to add/remove whatever you feel is controversial. I looked through the thread and I did not notice that particular requirement.

WRT to the match making system, I think it is just poorly thought out. The reason you need the whole 'hosting/custom' idea is because you're trying to avoid forcing people into playing matches/people that they don't like or have preferred participants. And I think it is also to prevent folks from getting stuck in the 'this match is no longer available' mess.

The problem with that implementation is that you now have 10 people 'hosting' when in fact 8 of those people could just be playing 4 matches. That seems incredibly backwards to me. So your argument seems backward to me, but I'm happy for you to feel the same about my argument.

I play regularly on a chess server (I've played about 50K games there over 10+ years). They have a fairly nice 'seek' system which allows quick and painless starting of matches with a whole bunch of  (self-defined) parameters. It works incredibly well. They also have a concept of a challenge, if you want to play a specific person. I think such a system is far superior to what DotP provides and I don't think it is that hard to implement. though given that this needs to be shoe horned into Steam/PS/Xbox/Android/iPad, I'm probably underestimating the effort.
Yeah, but Chess is a significantly different game. In Magic, you can just be in a mood where you don't want to see deck X for the yth time today, and can avoid playing people you know play that deck exclusively. Or as is becoming possible, just out-and-out cheaters - although they would be solved by a no-play list, yes. There's too many grey areas in Magic for a "here you play this guy" system to work favourably. I'll leave them on the list, partially because it's not really "my" list and partially because it's up to Wizards/Stainless on that one anyhow.

Your solution would be closer to how tournament Magic works - you can't exactly go to the judge and say "Please pair me with anyone other that guy ____ Flores" or anything - but if they were interested in a tournament feel, we'd have best two of three matches and sideboards. I think that would be for if they ever split this franchise into an "introductory" and "advanced" line. 

Yeah, but Chess is a significantly different game. In Magic, you can just be in a mood where you don't want to see deck X for the yth time today, and can avoid playing people you know play that deck exclusively. Or as is becoming possible, just out-and-out cheaters - although they would be solved by a no-play list, yes. There's too many grey areas in Magic for a "here you play this guy" system to work favourably. I'll leave them on the list, partially because it's not really "my" list and partially because it's up to Wizards/Stainless on that one anyhow.

Your solution would be closer to how tournament Magic works - you can't exactly go to the judge and say "Please pair me with anyone other that guy ____ Flores" or anything - but if they were interested in a tournament feel, we'd have best two of three matches and sideboards. I think that would be for if they ever split this franchise into an "introductory" and "advanced" line. 

I agree with your point about magic not being quite like chess and I understand the sometimes temporal nature of your desire to avoid specific players. However, if it's implemented well (and I would still argue that is not hard), you could simply have a 'add current opponent to my no-play list for 8 hours' or whatever to simply avoid playing him/her for a while. I guess to me the current system seems to favor a lot of folks hosting and not many people joining, because that's the only way you can control who you'll play. And that seems to throw out the baby (i.e. get me a match as soon as possible) with the bathwater (I don't want to play opponent 'X' anymore). Anyway, even if they don't implement it the way I described, a re-think of the whole lobby system would be a good idea.

There were also three other points on there that I think are of value (fix rating system, proper concede and observe games). I would not think those are too controversial. Which reminded me, it would be real nice that if they implemented multiple save slots for a specific deck, that I could switch to one of the builds prior to starting a match.

As a side note, I would like to point out that I'm intending this for largely non-controversial improvements. I held off for awhile on the "Swap the keep/mulligan buttons back where they were" and almost didn't mention it at all just because I thought some people might prefer the new order for whatever reason. So far things have been mostly along those lines, but I thought I'd mention it before anything more debate-worthy popped on the list.

So I would recommend to you to don't put controversial features like:

• Bring back the Disable AI Takeover option from the previous games, and have it on by default

Or features purely cosmetical without a real benefit like:

I have to add that all other features metioned are either good or necessary.

Two of those aren't even mine, and the Disable AI takeover I don't feel like fussing over - the only reason I can see for its removal was so that people wouldn't rapid unlock by having a friend concede to them repeatedly, so I don't see them putting it back in.

Remembering "random" feels intuitive, it remembers every other selection, why not that one? Someone who's going to want to use random repeatedly just has to waste everyone's time dialing back over to it. There's no reason for the current counter-intuitive implementation.

I already mentioned I debated adding the "swap the hand options" back" bit. If it gets another couple of complaints, I'll take it off, but as is it just feels like a slap in the face to established players. Of course it means nothing at all to new ones since they didn't see the old order.

Setting combat animations to OFF by default strikes you as "without real benefit?" Considering there's dozens or hundreds of posts in this forum mentioning how irritating it is for people to have them on in multiplayer games? Let alone that it takes a good two minutes to explain how to turn them off, assuming the person even gives a damn about anyone else's play experience - and it might take another three or four minutes to convince them why they ought to.

Which still isn't as long as the amount of time uselessly eaten up by the animations themselves in a 2HG game.

If anyone has any complaints about anything on the list, feel free to start another thread or PM me directly. I want to keep this thread clean and on-topic so that whenever someone from Wizards/Stainless asks Sean "What's the community said?" he can just paste the most recent post from here or link them to the thread, and his work on the matter is done, barring different threads for blatantly controversial features (random lobbies, et cetera.)

Just disable them for multiplayer games. If someone wants to see the pretty effects on their own time in SP, terrific. But when I alpha strike and have to stare at that window telling me they're still watching the effects for a solid minute, it's a bit offputting.

Remembering "random" feels intuitive, it remembers every other selection, why not that one? Someone who's going to want to use random repeatedly just has to waste everyone's time dialing back over to it. There's no reason for the current counter-intuitive implementation.

I already mentioned I debated adding the "swap the hand options" back" bit. If it gets another couple of complaints, I'll take it off, but as is it just feels like a slap in the face to established players. Of course it means nothing at all to new ones since they didn't see the old order.

Setting combat animations to OFF by default strikes you as "without real benefit?" Considering there's dozens or hundreds of posts in this forum mentioning how irritating it is for people to have them on in multiplayer games? Let alone that it takes a good two minutes to explain how to turn them off, assuming the person even gives a damn about anyone else's play experience - and it might take another three or four minutes to convince them why they ought to.

I have to apologize then first for answering. But from now on I'll refrain from polluting it, but if any person asks for a contrary feature you must also add it. It only seems fair.

1. It feels intutive, but since it isn't necessary for it to remember other decks also, at least for different sessions (at the same session I have no opposition at all). It isn't necessary for it to remember random also for a different session. I, for example, don't care for either and find it irritating in this case.

2. Completely cosmetical. 

3.  Yes, the company created them, so it is only natural for them being shown to players. Or clicking a button a single time seems as too much work to stop the combat animations.

Wizards_Sean, when you get a chance, kindly remove the off-topic/debate posts? Answering last one in PM so he'll stop tying up the thread.

EDIT: Or I would take it to PM, but I get a "too many redirects" error trying to access his profile and neither of the suggested fixes worked. *Shrugs.* 

• Add priority system.

• Fix the ranking system

• Lobby Improvements:

• Allow for matching opponents based on accurate ranking (implies the ranking systems needs to be fixed)

• When I concede a game, let me concede the game, not the interaction I have with the other player(s), i.e. allow for proper rematches without having to sit through useless turns when the game has been decided

• Observe games, as a bonus indicate the ranking of the players (implies the ranking systems needs to be fixed)

• Don't automatically add unlocked cards to a deck, only to the pool (this should be a given if there are multiple deckslots)

I want more input from the guy with the hosting match and custom match ideas.

Would these suggested changes only apply to ranked/quick match? Or do you aim to replace the interface with a quicker, but less flexible interface?

Because I play friendly matches with friends by creating our own matches and I have to say, if the system were streamlined to just be a join match button with an automatic algorithm....well that would suck. We want to create our own custom games, if we're not given the ability to we're just going to leave and rejoin forever until we get matched together.

(or more accurately, probably quit playing as the system would be unintuitive and a hassle for us to use.) 

• Add priority system.

• Fix the ranking system

• Lobby Improvements:

• Don't automatically add unlocked cards to a deck, only to the pool (this should be a given if there are multiple deckslots)

• Damage displayed as damage, and not as a reduction to toughness

As I understand the official rules for 2HG allow players to target an opponent to be hit by a "defending player" effect - for example, a Sword of Body and Mind could mill either of your opponents, rather than it having to be the player who happens to be directly across from the controller of the creature the Sword is attached to.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.  If I'm right though, this can have an important impact in 2HG games, as many cards included in DotP currently do not have this option when they should.
I want more input from the guy with the hosting match and custom match ideas.

I guess that's me.
Would these suggested changes only apply to ranked/quick match? Or do you aim to replace the interface with a quicker, but less flexible interface?

I would certainly not suggest a less flexible interface. Actually, I would argue the current interface is not very flexible. The only scenario it sort of works for is what you describe, where you start a match and invite friends. Of course this does imply you do get to kick innocent bystanders out (i.e. those folks that clicked join a match before you marked the slots private). For that sort of match I would argue you somehow just have a way to start a match with specific opponents, maybe just a 'private' button. I do like the way you can invite folks to your match. That functionality seems to work pretty well.
Because I play friendly matches with friends by creating our own matches and I have to say, if the system were streamlined to just be a join match button with an automatic algorithm....well that would suck. We want to create our own custom games, if we're not given the ability to we're just going to leave and rejoin forever until we get matched together.

(or more accurately, probably quit playing as the system would be unintuitive and a hassle for us to use.) 

I think just having a way to specify within reasons the sort of match you're looking for and than an automatic matching system once you specify that is all I'm looking for.

New feature

• A method by which in multiplayer, each player may know if and which other people have selected "random deck" as their option

• Add priority system.

• Lobby Improvements:

• Damage displayed as damage, and not as a reduction to toughness

• In addaition to campaign and revenge, add a custom campaign, where the AI plays with the users own version of the decks (with multiple deckslots, let the user mark which one to use)

Bug

• Fix the ranking system

@Goa:
I took the liberty of splitting the list into bugs and new features. Since tyou haven't left the forum yet, could you add the entire list to the first post?