Hypnois -Abuse?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am a DM for a 4e campaign and my son, who runs a level 3 wizard, routinely uses his Wizard's hypnosis spell to commandeer an enemy and walk them into traps or fire hazards, etc...basically making the creature inflict environmental damage on itself.  I can't find anything that says he can't do this so I have allowed it.  Am I making the right decision?

Hypnosis is a slide, so as long as he's obeying the rules for sliding (principally, not into the air unless they can normally fly, and they get a saving throw if they're going into hazardous terrain (over a cliff, into a fire) but not if they're going into a hazardous zone or aura, then yes, it's legit.  It's what Enchanter wizards are for.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Just remember, hypnotism is a charm and not a dominate.  The player can fluff the hypnotism any way the player wants as long as it does what the mechanics specifies, which is to slide the target or have the target attack a creature of the player's choice (which can include charging through hazardous terrain as long as the target is not aware of the hazardous terrain).  If the player slides the target into hazardous terrain, the target gets a saving throw to stop itself.  If the save succeeds, the target falls prone in the square before the hazardous terrain and the slide or charge ends.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

If the player slides the target into hazardous terrain, the target gets a saving throw to stop itself.  If the save succeeds, the target falls prone in the square before the hazardous terrain and the slide or charge ends.

Thanks for the info.  Can you tell me where I look in the DM Guide or elsewhere to find this rule(about saves for entering such terrain)? 

If the player slides the target into hazardous terrain, the target gets a saving throw to stop itself.  If the save succeeds, the target falls prone in the square before the hazardous terrain and the slide or charge ends.

Thanks for the info.  Can you tell me where I look in the DM Guide or elsewhere to find this rule(about saves for entering such terrain)? 

You are a DDI subscriber.  Check the glossary in the online compendium, and follow the trail to the paper source there.  Use 'forced movement' as your search term.

I don't have my book handy for page references but the key terms you want to look up are Forced Movement and Hindering Terrain.

Note that a creature does NOT get a saving throw if you slide it into a zone or effect from another spell, like Stinking Cloud or Wall of Fire.   As a trade off, almost all of those have a restriction that a creature can only take damage from entering the zone once per turn, so you can't slide them in and out of it repeatedly with a single instance of forced movement.

Creatures do get saving throws for Hindering Terrain, which is basically any terrain that would cause them harm, such as cliffs, pits, lava, forges, furnaces, steam vents, etc.  If the creature makes the save, they drop prone at the last square they legally occupied before they would have been pushed into the hindering terrain.
(which can include charging through hazardous terrain as long as the target is not aware of the hazardous terrain). 

I agree with everything you said, except the quoted portion above.
A: The target being aware of something or not makes absolutely no difference in any way whatsoever. They slide where you tell them (excepting the rules for forced movement and hindering terrain, etc.)
B: You cannot make the target charge. You can slide them or have them do an MBA against a creature of your choice (even themselves, which is just oh so fun Tongue Out).

The rest of your post was quite correct however.
Ahh.  I misread the power.  Sometimes I do that.  I saw that it said MBA and somehow my mind translated that to a possible charge action.  I stand (or sit) corrected.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Sign In to post comments