Best bang for the buck?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so I'm sold on modern. I built a burn deck a few months ago and I have been having moderate success. I have been having fun playing and I am enjoying the format.

So, now it's time to grow up.
I'm prepared to invest in something tier1, but I'm having trouble deciding. It's very likely I'm only getting one shot at this for the forseeable future. I realize it's going to require a significant investment, and that's OK. I'm not so much worried about the start up cost as I am the upkeep.

The real question is: what is the smartest deck to build in modern in terms of play result, monetary value, and expected longevity?

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.
There really isn't an answer.  A while ago, the answer was clearly Jund because it was customizable and had a good shell of cards.  Then, out of the blue, Bloodbraid Elf was banned, and the deck died.  People thought that the shell could survive, but it turns out it can't.

The fact of the format is that at any moment, seemingly any card could be banned with no warning or reason.  Storm has had 3 (or 4, I forget) bannings targeting it, but it's still around and does fairly well.  Heck, I got Stormed on turn 3 two games in a row in KC, which the DCI said shouldn't be possible any more.

So while I'd like to say that you should build something like Melira Pod or Kiki Pod (as they are probably the best decks in the format), I can't recommend those.  Melira has won the last two Modern GPs, and could be ripe for a banning, which could probably hit Kiki Pod as well.  I would also like to suggest no matter what you build, you need to build a combo deck, as the format is only about combo, but those decks are always targets for bannings.  So that would leave with something fair, but the fair decks are terrible in Modern.

In summary, basically it just comes down to finding the deck you like to play.  Play with proxied decks against friends until you find the one deck you love to play with and buy that.  Then when the DCI bans it, you can abandon the format like everyone else.
Mono-blue Tron I think has the best performance-to-cost ratio of the tier-1 Modern decks. Has the cheapest land base by far.
Sounds like the burn deck was a good idea... It's unfortunate modern seems so difficult to get into. The format is so much fun. But I know that if I dump a bunch of money building a competitive deck and the key cards are suddenly banned, then that's it. There's no way I could swing a second deck for quite some time.

[EDIT] Mono decks might not be so bad. Land seems to be the big culprit in most of these decks.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.
Burn is a perfectly fine deck.  I'd just stick with it until you find a deck you love.  If that ends up getting banned, you'll probably just hate the format enough to stop playing it instead of needing to buy a new deck.
I'm 90% sure the difficulty to get into modern is what stifles the development of the format and leads to stuff like GPKC top.

Dont worry about bans (except Goryos Vengance) and just figure out what you want to play

(at)MrEnglish22

More likely Griselbrand gets banned rather than Goryo's Vengeance. 
More likely Griselbrand gets banned rather than Goryo's Vengeance. 

Given the choice, they are gonna ban the card that cheats dudes into play rather than the big dudes. Turn 2 Emrakuls are still pretty damned annoying. 
But I understand why they would ban Griselbrand, seeing as he lets people power out the ACTUAL win, instead of just resetting a person's first 2 turns and putting them at five. 

(at)MrEnglish22

The thing is, I've played this reanimator deck and it doesn't feel good to get the turn 2 emrakul. You get all of their stuff and they're at 5 life but you don't have any action. Most decks in modern can kill in like 4-5 turns consistently so they will just kill you. 

Todd Anderson (I hate that guy) put up an article about his good finish with the deck and said that he felt that it was easier to abuse Griselbrand in Legacy than in Modern because there was more "free" stuff you could do in Legacy which I agree with.

If they print like 2-3 more cards that makes the deck consistent then I would think that it would lead to a card in the deck getting banned. Until then, I can see them letting it stick around.  
Well, with the Emmy play you're looking at being down 2-3 cards in exchange for them losing both their lands, if you're on the draw. Being at card parity and still having two lands when they have none... Is a sittuation that only a burn deck could be happy about.

That being said, Gris really is the best play. "We're both at 13 life, I just drew 14 cards", even without the free stuff of eternal formats is definutive, especially since the black and red pitch cards of coldsnap fit so perfectly into the game-plan and, hilariously, represent a continuing usage of your draw engine.

That being said... To heck with all of the 'cute' nuts and bolts stuff. Make a deck based on fundamentals. If you like control or want to learn to play it aim for MU tron. If you want to play tempo/midrange gun for Raka Geist (I refuse to call it America or Patriot. Geist of Saint Win works as a name because cutting delver and leaning on geist 'wins', but... it's a Raka deck defined by Geist...). If aggro is your jam the get thee some cranial platings (risky, what with our fears about Opal, *shrugs*) or add white to your burnination and take boros landfall for a spin.

For combo... Living end is Officially A Thing.

*shrugs* None if those decks is perfect, but they're all solid, well-positioned and based on sound principles, give or take affinity.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Don't build Living End.  The deck is very, very bad.

If you want combo, Kiki Pod is by far better.  Or even American Twin. 
Living End is even worse when you don't know what your own dang cards do.

(at)MrEnglish22

Living End is even worse when you don't know what your own dang cards do.

I think Living End is a good deck. It's been putting up strong finishes and preys on fair decks. There are a lot of fair decks in the field right now and I think it can be good going forward. 
There are no fair decks in the format.  Look at KC's Top 8.  There were 7 combo decks and one control deck.  That's not a lot of fair decks...
One of the dumber things I've heard. Are you saying that since there were 7 combo decks in the top 8 nobody in the field played fair decks? That's ridiculous. A lot of people play the junk/jund/dunebrood deck but it didn't have a good showing at the tournament. People play r/g aggro, burn, that kibler naya deck, etc. UW/R control/midrange whatever you want to call it. Take the blinders off. 
I'm saying that if you're preparing for a metagame, you should expect vastly more combo at the higher tables than fair decks.

And I was there.  There really wasn't many fair decks in contention past round 3.  I don't really count Burn as "fair" though, as it's similar to a lot of combo decks (play a bunch of things that can be difficult to interact with, ignore what the opponent is doing, etc.).  I consider things like Junk/Jund Midrange, 4-color Midrange (like Ajani Jund or Lingering Jund), Gifts Ungiven, UWR Midrange and UWR Control as the "major" fair decks in the format.

What I'm getting at is that fair decks are extremely uncommon late in the rounds of a typical Modern tournament.  The metagame clearly shows that the statement "there are a lot of fair decks in the field right now" as absolutely false.
Do you have some kind of tournament break down saying that these fair decks apparently just ceased to exist? 

Being there means nothing to me.  
Living End is a fine deck. Not my favorite combo deck in the format, but its a good one for beginners. My comment was directed at the guy who was in the finals of GPBBQ (Kansas City) and just let his opponenet combo off with two Faerie Macabre in hand (opponent was pod, had kitchen finks and redcap) which he had specifically sided in.

(at)MrEnglish22

Do you have some kind of tournament break down saying that these fair decks apparently just ceased to exist? 

Being there means nothing to me.  

Well, I have the Top 16 decks reported on the main site.  And I have my experiences of walking around the tournament site and seeing what was being played.

And again, fair decks exist, they're just terrible and get overshadowed by the unfair decks very quickly in any given Modern tournament.  The only time a fair deck is good in Modern is when everyone decides to play a fair deck. 
Well, or if you're playing affinity and no one else is packing a fair deck/you have 3 byes.

Or... wait. Are we excluding affinity from the list of fair decks?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Well, or if you're playing affinity and no one else is packing a fair deck/you have 3 byes. Or... wait. Are we excluding affinity from the list of fair decks?

Well, he excluded Burn as a fair deck, so I guess anything can theoretically be tossed into the "unfair" pool.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Affinity is probably fine to be considered a fair deck, though I"m hesitant to do so because it can have basically unstoppable draws like a combo deck...

And really, Affinity has very tough matchups against a lot of the combo decks.

I guess what I mean by "fair" decks are really non-aggro, non-combo decks.  Sure, Affinity and the RG aggro decks are "fair" in that they don't rely on a combo to win, but they don't exactly feel like fair decks when they kill on turn 3 or 4.  I stand by not calling Burn fair under any definition because the deck looks to remove interaction from the game.  "Fair" decks typically thrive on interaction, not on having non-interactive games.  Burn loses when the opponent can interact via counters and life gain.
Well, sure. By artificially setting a mininum time limit in leui of giving us tools, Wizards has made that time limit the norm.

Being fast shouldn't make you unfair. 'Fairness' is about decks 'doing stuff' that 'magic decks do'
76783093 wrote:
Which Affinity doesn't do.  They don't spend mana to cast spells, which is the second reason why it's not exactly a fair deck...   
Which Affinity doesn't do.  They don't spend mana to cast spells

2003 called. They wany their Affinity back.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
4 Opals, 4 Ornithopters, 2 Memnites, 4 Vault Skirges and 4 Thoughcasts.  That's 18 spells that are free or cheat on mana costs.  Nearly half the deck "breaks" the rules of Magic by not requiring mana.
Er, what? Vault skirge is a 1/1 flyer for 1. That... requires mana.

Thoughtcast is draw 2 for U with a downside that makes it conditional. Anyone memnite and orni are only good for the synergy. Opal is 'just' ramp.

I agree that it toes the line, but an affinity plays dudes and turns them sideways one turn at a time and folds to t2 pyro. It's stupid fast, but it's still something that 'feels' like Magic.
76783093 wrote:
Yeah, not sure what realm of magic you're living in when aggro decks aren't fair decks. 
Yeah, not sure what realm of magic you're living in when aggro decks aren't fair decks. 

They're about as fair as control decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

THIS WHOLE WORLD IS A SHAM OH MY GOD
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:

THIS WHOLE WORLD IS A SHAM OH MY GOD

Look away from the light, step away from the ledge, etc.

(at)MrEnglish22

Wait, Tron fair or gifts fair?

Because, like, gifts control DOESN'T have a fair plan against fair decks.

Why on earth is this formst aggro beats combo beats control beats aggro again? Ugh.
76783093 wrote:
It sounds like someone is just getting salty about the format. One thread its all 'Just play what you can until your deck gets banned, because its going to get banned.. wizards bans decks randomly at any given moment' .... which in reality is like what...once a quarter?

Then its all 'the format is all combo, fair decks aren't decks'.

Fair decks exist and can be successful, it just so happens that they have no room for error since combo decks are constantly threatening a 1 shot kill.... no later than turn 5 if undisrupted.

Fish decks (merfolk, D&T) are good, heavy discard decks are good (bw tokens, jund remnants)... but they get rolled over on by people running true fair decks like zoo... because those knuckleheads haven't learned we're in Legacy Light.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

D&T is decent as are the other flash decks... but they've got marginally better games than affinity in their good matchups and worse battles when they've got problems.

As far as t5 without disruption, it's more like an assured t5 without disruption... and a shot at t5 with it.
76783093 wrote:
I'd agree that you need sustained disruption to beat combo. Thalia, Liliana of the Veil... that kind of thing. A kill spell on an electromancer. =)

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Burn is a great deck to start with because the money you spend is on actual Magic cards - DRS and fetchlands.

It is a powerful module to start with. 

I have a few Modern decks, but I prefer Living End.   I can't suggest it for bang for the buck because the components have skyrocketed since the GP.  My foil Fulminators are now over five times what I bought in at and the Living Ends themselves follow suit.

It felt good to finish foiling that deck about ten months ago.

Burn is what I suggest to get the most real Magic cards.  It is a great platform into the format because DRS and fetches are ubiquitous.  Other than the GGs and VDs, most of the cards in the deck are inexpensive.

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
The same could be said of Melira Pod, with the expensive cards being good in lots of decks.

...Could, until Chord of Calling went nuts this month.
Jesus. It used to be that was in the 'bulk, buy at least 5 playsets or else shipping to purchase costs ratios will murder you' catagory.

Hmmm. Excuse me while I look through my bulk purchase pile. I think I gave a playset or two away but there still should be some in there.

At this point I think it's safe to say that the best cost:viability ratio is safely centered on MU Tron. It's rising but remarkably inelastic. Thank god the only shortage my affinity deck has is the magical evaporation of half my Ravagers. Bullet Dodged.
76783093 wrote:
I'm currently working on a UW Tron build that I've been having a bit of fun with online.  Granted, I'm just getting started in Modern (I took a rather long hiatus between Mercadian Masques and New Phyrexia) so I've been having a complicated time getting used to the cards that I've never played with.  The build I'm looking at costs about 300 bucks, and some of the cards I already have.  The most expensive cards in my build are Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and a playset of Remand.