Sealed - Meta/Strategy

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been playing a lot of sealed DOTP and finally broken the top twenty on PC.  I am really enjoying the format, but would like others' thoughts on the meta currently in place.  We obviously see a lot of Blue Black decks dominating the format at the top tier.  Rune Scarred Demon is just a beast, coupled with grave diggers, rise from the graves, bats and vampire nighthawks.  Then there is the blue supplement with essence scatters, switcheroos, archeomancers, clones and that nasty nasty Sphinx.

I have a fun white deck that attempts to counter a lot of this by having a lot of pacifies to prevent creatures being put in graveyards, but I also have three DOJ's to wipe the board when needed.  It's a black white deck so I have that grim recall spell that works well with DOJ if I have seven mana available.  But it's going to lose to the top tier blue black decks 7 out of ten times.  It just can't compete.  I also see a lot of these blue card draw decks running the elixer to reset their libraries.

Also noticed a lot of people resorting to swift boots since there is so much removal and creature interaction.  It also makes my pacifies really bad.  So I am wondering if people are also running solemn offerings now or a master thief?  If you are green and have an acidic slime, that would work too.  Would be great to steal that 1 mana exile creature artifact, wouldn't it?

Other great decks I have seen are some red white or red green sliver decks.  Red seems really tough to make it work, but the right cards and the right draw can certainly make it happen.  Have also seen green with primordial do really well, but I would definitely only run that card with the swift boots, otherwise you are asking for it . . .

Anyway, does anyone else have any thought here?
Bingo
I wonder if the meta is different on different systems. I play on the iPad, and I'm surprised to see the most common combination is red/green. Not sure if it's because it begs to be aggro or because so many creatures in the pool are green or red. I've also seen a lot of black/white, which makes sense since it can really lock down a board, especially in this format. Surprisingly, I haven't come up against any sort of blue deck yet.
I wonder if the meta is different on different systems. I play on the iPad, and I'm surprised to see the most common combination is red/green. Not sure if it's because it begs to be aggro or because so many creatures in the pool are green or red. I've also seen a lot of black/white, which makes sense since it can really lock down a board, especially in this format. Surprisingly, I haven't come up against any sort of blue deck yet.

Interesting. I have a green white deck with 7 slilvers where I splash blue for the two clones I have.  Nothing like having an army of 6/6 vigilence dudes - throw in the Packleader for the card draw, and it's really fun!!  But it takes a perfect draw, and it can't compete against most top tier decks.
Bingo
2 out of my 3 decks run 3+ boots to compete against removal decks, and they do pretty well.  One relies on protecting creatures which can then become insurmountable (3 hydras, or an advocate+beast combo, etc), but that makes it a bit slow.  The other tries to rush by getting a cheap evasive critter under the boots and then loading it up with lifelink and Tricks of the Trade.

Honestly, I've seen quite a wide variety of deck strategies though, so the boot tactics don't always work.  Last night I faced a B/W deck that was all fairly cheap fliers backed up by Angelic Destiny that was just too fast (I didn't draw Windstorm..), and another red/white rush deck that ran Shock, which is the major bane to my strategy as it burns all my cheap 2/2's and 1/2's at instant speed when I try to apply the boots.

Time to get some more slots to see if I can't get some good counter-counter strategy pools
As for Slivers.. eh.  I had two different pools that had 10+ slivers plus some decent support, and I tried to make both of them work, but never could.  You have to get your three colors straight, and you have to get a bunch of slivers on the board, and you have to get them through because they don't have evasion.  Generally what happens is, your +1/+1 guy eats removal immediately, and your little 2/2 and 1/1's peck away, eating up your combat tricks, and then just stall as the other guy gets his board position.  Having to draw three colors AND a lot of creatures AND removal/evasion in the perfect amount is just too much.  It's great when it works, but it mostly doesn't.
I wonder if the meta is different on different systems. I play on the iPad, and I'm surprised to see the most common combination is red/green.

Ditto, the most common color combinations I come across happen to be either blue/ white or red/ green. I aslo play on the iPad.

I've recently started to employ a mono black deck, but used to use a very reliable green/ white build previously. 
On Xbox pretty much every sealed deck contains black. BU and BG being the ones I see most. I'm not pointing fingers here, because of my 4 pools 3 use black (BW, BU, BG). The last one is UG and does surprisingly well w/o being able to beat the top decks.
On Xbox pretty much every sealed deck contains black. BU and BG being the ones I see most. I'm not pointing fingers here, because of my 4 pools 3 use black (BW, BU, BG). The last one is UG and does surprisingly well w/o being able to beat the top decks.

very similar on the ps3. Everyone runs at least Black but the most I have seen is U/B. I have also seen a lot of white, but few have been successful. very few red as well.

Off topic, but why on earth would they put angelic destiny and give green the best hexproof monsters? The few green decks I played used Gaea's Revenge and that other hexproof creature that has its toughness and attack equal to the number of forests you control.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
most I played is black also and like garden weasel my 2 dungrove plus swiftboots plus little dudes and unblockable aruas does pretty well against them.

Although just played an interesting red deck that felt like he had 12 land destroyers !! Felt good to switch to blue green and unsummon my acidic slime a few times against him in the second game

My most competetive deck is black red agrro.  No burns/murders just turning dudes sideways with 2 boots, 2 Gravedigger, 2 Rise From the Grave, 2 Crumbling Colossus, Xathrid Demon, Inferno Titan, a few of those high power little red dudes, 3 2 power little black flyers, and 1 unblockable 1 power dude.  All backed up with Cleaver riot, Slaughter Cry, and that 1 black card that does -1 to dudes opponent control...and if the game aint over yet Diabolic Revelation....most murder decks are just to slow for this sort of thing

although both those 2 decks fail against decks setup like my G/W, U/W, or B/W/G decks! rock paper scissors man!!

of note all five decks I opened had atleast 1 day of judgement in them O.o
Only played my sealed deck online once and I have no idea what my opponents strategy/deck was (I won). He played one first strike Sliver and then spammed that sorcery that creates 1/1 elementals. That's all he did other than a Briarpack Alpha that he threw in the mix but I murdered it.

My strongest sealed deck contains R/B. I'm surprised more of you don't play this setup. It contains some removal along with Vampire Nighthawk and Rune Scarred Demon with some red fatties and a Shivan Dragon. I believe I have some graveyward recursion too. I'm loving it! Is it just me, or does anyone else hate blue? I don't like playing with what little it offers. Just doesn't seem much fun.
I was actually very tempted to use G/U, as I was lucky enough to draw some nice blue control options. In the end, I went with G/W, as the white gave me more versatility and better protection overall. Still...I bet there's a sweet blue deck waiting to be built with my pool.
On 360, the clear meta is a Murder-rich environment, with Archaeomancer support. If you have a Grave Titan and/or Time Warp to support it, then you're golden. I have neither, but have a couple of Scroll Thieves and Hypnotic Specters for card advantage, that combined with 4 of each Murder/Archaomancer, gives me great card advantage.

A counter strategy has arisen though that takes advantage of this build's weakness to Hexproof, with Dungroves and Swiftfoots building to an Overwhelming Stampede and using Deadly Recluses as defence. Usually paired with Black for kill, but often just utilises whatever colour can give it the best enchantments to stack on the Hexproofers.

This can often ruin Blue/Black as Giant Scorpions are your only Dungrove defence, and often they'll either get taken out by Hunt The Weak or just ignored until they hit Stampede territory.

Generally, if you aren't running Dungroves or Murders on 360 you aren't going to get very far.
My strongest sealed deck contains R/B. I'm surprised more of you don't play this setup. It contains some removal along with Vampire Nighthawk and Rune Scarred Demon with some red fatties and a Shivan Dragon. I believe I have some graveyward recursion too. I'm loving it! Is it just me, or does anyone else hate blue? I don't like playing with what little it offers. Just doesn't seem much fun.

Interesting.  I can't get red to work for me at all, but it may be my playstyle.  One deck has two awaken the ancients, another has an inferno with several angels including the one with lifelink that gives counters to all my creatures.  But murder, unsummon, clone, essence scatter, assassinate, et al just wreck that deck.  Throw in a fog bank or two, and I am done.  Yes, I have answers too, but BU has too many simple answers to my biggest and baddest spells.

Regarding blue, I don't think anyone is playing blue primarily for creatures - other than the Sphinx, which is just a sick card.  Blue can be, and is, an incredible supplement for decks.  Card draw, clones, unsummon, essence scatter, fog banks, and archeomancers to recast all of those murders, unsummons, scatters, rise from the graves, divinations, day of judgments, et al.  Oh and don't forget switcheroos.  Such a ridiculous combo with archeomancers.

My favorite deck is actually BWu.  It has the standard black creatures - scorpions (amazing card), nighthawk, bats, grave diggers, et al.  But the bombs are amazing - Xanthrid Demon, Angelic Arbiter, Aegis Angel, Rune Scarred Demon, and Grave Titan!!!  LOL.  White also has three pacifisms, a solemn offering for those pesky artifcats or enchantments.  Blue is splashed for the Clone - why settle for one Titan when you can have two?  BTW, Turn six Titan followed up by Turn seven Xanthrid is LOL.  I also threw in a scatter because sometimes it's the only answer to a rune scarred demon.  Sadly, no rise from the graves, tutors or grim recalls, but I was lucky enough to get a boots.  Three terramorphic expanses really help to fix my manabase as well.

If I ever figure out how to post a deck list I will.  Would definitely like some help tweaking this one . . .

One last thing, I would love to build a deck around jinxed idol and act of treason.  That one would be my red deck most likely.  I just don't have the card combos yet, but will keep trying.
Bingo
On 360, the clear meta is a Murder-rich environment, with Archaeomancer support. If you have a Grave Titan and/or Time Warp to support it, then you're golden. I have neither, but have a couple of Scroll Thieves and Hypnotic Specters for card advantage, that combined with 4 of each Murder/Archaomancer, gives me great card advantage.

A counter strategy has arisen though that takes advantage of this build's weakness to Hexproof, with Dungroves and Swiftfoots building to an Overwhelming Stampede and using Deadly Recluses as defence. Usually paired with Black for kill, but often just utilises whatever colour can give it the best enchantments to stack on the Hexproofers.

This can often ruin Blue/Black as Giant Scorpions are your only Dungrove defence, and often they'll either get taken out by Hunt The Weak or just ignored until they hit Stampede territory.

Generally, if you aren't running Dungroves or Murders on 360 you aren't going to get very far.

Throw in a Primordial with boots on that bad boy and make them smell the inevitability . . .
Bingo

Throw in a Primordial with boots on that bad boy and make them smell the inevitability . . .

Boots with anything with a ton of enchantments on it works to make em sad.. in most of my games like that, their hand is so full of removal they don't do much while the hydra grows or you dump enchantments on your lone critter (not to mention when the enchantments are unblockable and lifelink..).  3 boots in one and 4 in the other makes it pretty consistent.

Also bought a new slot today and made a sweet Izzet deck that removal-heavy options don't like much either.. lots of draw, Archaeomancer, 2 Volcanic Geyser, Earthquake,  various Shocks and some hasty critters generally make removal dead cards

Even better, boots and Indestructibility. Nothing short of a forced sacrifice is getting rid of that bad boy.
 I like listening to some of the deck builds. It seems much more variend then i've experienced so far. Question, have a lot of you paid for a few more slots to obain some of these outstanding combos? I have a few good things in my decks, but i've only played the first two slots thus far and just have some decent stuff, nothing crazy like multiiple hex proofs or anything. I'm thinking about it though, if many people still play 1v1?
yea thats pretty much it on psn too stevo! Throw in the day of judgment decks to counter the dungrove elders or boots decks and thats where psn is at atm...rock paper scissors! But still its not a hard counter as anything can happen with draws and mistake
yea thats pretty much it on psn too stevo! Throw in the day of judgment decks to counter the dungrove elders or boots decks and thats where psn is at atm...rock paper scissors! But still its not a hard counter as anything can happen with draws and mistake

Ah yes, I forgot the DoJ decks. They do take it to Rock/Paper/Scissors and are common on 360 too.

Essentially Murder decks beat Day of Judgment decks which beat Dungrove Elder decks which beat Murder decks.

Murder decks are more common simply because the card itself is more common, while Dungrove and Judgment are rares. Murder decks typically partner with Blue while Dungrove and Judgment decks partner with Black or Blue - often simply based on what has the better pool.

Red is rarely used, but you do get it as the odd wild card, especially if they've managed to get a pool with an Inferno Titan or a Firewing Phoenix or two, but typically in the top tier these are simply splashed in service to the above archetypes instead of Black or Blue. Red is rarely, if ever, a competitve primary colour unless say you've lucked on 4 Young Pyromancers...
Well it seems that im extremly unlucky... I bought 10 pools, got 7 realy crappy pools with mixed colors, 1 single vampire nighthawk in 10 Pools, no titan, 4 Murders in all pools 3 of them in a pool where i cant play them. My last pool got 3 honor of the pure! Sadly only one white creature....

I got a fun to play U/B, well it got only 1 switcheroo und one murder but its a fun deck. But 9/10 pools arent competitive at all. In paper magic i would be satisfied with most of my decks but i saw some crazy **** online. I played last night against a guy with 5-7 murders, the same ammount of assasinate, X switcheroos, 3+ clones, 4 aeromancer, ****ing 3 gravetitans, two time warps and some nighthawks. I dont know how he managed to draw this **** out of his boosters but he enjoyed to show me his whole deck, murdering everything i threw on the board and blow me up in a single attack after 20 turns.

ffs sealed need a resett option! Its so annoying playing with medicore pools against such monsters.
 I like listening to some of the deck builds. It seems much more variend then i've experienced so far. Question, have a lot of you paid for a few more slots to obain some of these outstanding combos? I have a few good things in my decks, but i've only played the first two slots thus far and just have some decent stuff, nothing crazy like multiiple hex proofs or anything. I'm thinking about it though, if many people still play 1v1?

So far I'm at 5 pools, but my best one was probably my second free one.  All of them ended up being pretty good though, once I threw away what I started with and tried to start fresh without being swayed too much by trying to fit a particular bomb in my deck.  People easily see combos like "tons of removal", but if you sit down with your pool once you have all the cards and really try and find synergy, there will probably be something competitive.. weenie flyer swarm, red/green beast mode, rush and face burn. 

The one good thing about multiple pools is that you can build them to serve different purposes.  Even if it's not the 100% optimal build for a particular deck, if it does the same thing as another deck but worse, it might make sense to make a deck do another thing instead.  That way, when you run up against someone spamming his most powerful deck, you generally have enough options that you can pick one that'll counter it pretty well.

Red is rarely used, but you do get it as the odd wild card, especially if they've managed to get a pool with an Inferno Titan or a Firewing Phoenix or two, but typically in the top tier these are simply splashed in service to the above archetypes instead of Black or Blue. Red is rarely, if ever, a competitve primary colour unless say you've lucked on 4 Young Pyromancers...

I see a lot of Red on Steam, actually.  It's not a terrible pool, although I have no idea why they didn't include Searing Spear.. it would've been a fantastic card in this meta and would've made Red pretty powerful, as 1-3 toughness is most of the pool.  It's definitely more of a support deck, though.. it's not as versatile as black, so you need cards in other colors that play well with it.  Firewing Phoenix is probably my favorite card in the entire pool, though.  It can hold down a game by itself.

Actually, the kryptonite to the deck I generally start with lately has been people who run Shock.. generally I drop the Boots turn 2/3 and slip a creature in when they don't have enough mana for Murder in one of the turns after that, and go to town.  But those freaking Shockers and their 1 open red mana keep ruining my strategy

Slaughter Cry is an underappreciated card too, with all the deathtouch running rampant.  On a deathtouch creature it kills anything, and against deathtouch they kill nothing.

Referencing missing cards like searing spear, for the life of me I cannot figure out why the counterspells are gone.  Sure, scatters.  Okay.  And Redirect?  Redirect??  Scatter doesn't stop Rise from the Grave.  It doesn't stop pacifism, DOJ, switcheroo, murder, etc.  Redirect helps, but it's a rare - and very situational, and it doesn't stop DOJ, Windstorm, Earthquake, etc.  It's just odd not having answers to certain things.  What I love about Magic is the rock, scissors, paper part of it.  Stave off helps some, but I think the lack of counters is why swiftfoot boots is such a huge thing now.

I distressed a UW opponent the other day.  He hadn't cast anything for several turns, and I was getting a tad worried something was up.  I had a booted up Nighthawk on the battlefield, so I took a quick look.  Sure enough:  Switcheroo, Condemn, Fog Breath and Turn to Frog.  That right there told me everything I needed to know regarding the value of the boots.
Bingo
I'm a bit relieved there's not full counters (unless they were rare).. not that I don't like countering things, but it might have made things a little *too* easy for people who drew powerful rare creatures and wanted to protect them.  I don't even mind that black has common kill spells really, although I would've preferred if theirs were at sorcery speed (or expensive) and red had nice instant speed stuff to distinguish the colors a little more.

It's just quibbling, though, the pool is proving to be better than I thought really.
I like what I'm reading here, just goes to show for me personally that the sealed environment is way much varied, better  and competiive then pre built. What with all the rock paper scissors around you know you will get your sealed deck tested for sure. Just the other day i fought with decks that were mostly murder meta and I adjusted my deck to counter that, than yesterday as I was ready to try out my new dungrove deck to counter the murders, guess what I run thru a lot of DOJ control decks that uses solemn offering so back to square one for me. Makes me want to unlock another pool just to have more variety and more fun once again. 

I also agree that your sealed pool can be built in a lot of ways if you try to dig deeper into it. I only currently have the two free sealed pools both in xbox and ipad and i have change them almost a dozen times already as they can be built in several ways... aggro, combo, control etc and that's why i like sealed so much it gives you a fresh deck to play with all the time and you don't know what you will be up against with.

I run a B/G full of removals and Deathtouch creatures. My strategy is to use 2 of my Enlarge on a deathtouch creature, to clear the field. I even managed to use Enlarge on my Prized Unicorn and clear my opponent's field. Its pretty good.

My other deck is a R/B deck that is focused on using a lot of enchantments to power up my monsters. I managed to get 3 Tricks of the trade 4 Goblin War Paint and 2 Swiftfoot Boots. I also have 4 Marauding Maulhorn.

The metagame is surrounded by Black and Blue unfortunately.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
How do you guys feel about buff enchantments like Oakenform? I can see how they come in handy, but I'm not sure if they're worth a spot in what's already a fairly small deck.
I think it's a great way to wear down opponents who are far too busy admiring the strength of their own creature cards to prepare proper countermeasures. 

Go for it, NimNams. 

I've actually been having fairly good luck with R/B on 360.  I pulled 4 R rares- Destructive Force, 2 x Earthquake, and a Firewing Phoenix. Destructive Force is definitely underrated as a board reset and it combos well with a creature like Earth Servant (provided I save 2 mountains). Since the card doesn't show up nearly as often as DOJ, people forget about it and they don't hold creatures back.   I've also won half a dozen games by attacking with all creatures then Earthquaking to finish off the opponent.  

Flyers are a huge weakness for R.  Shock can take care of Hippies and some of the Griphons, but Serra Angel or Sengir Vampire are very problematic without relying on Murders or Assinates (I only got 1 of each in this pool).  I also have no way to deal with Gaea's Revenge short of racing + earthquaking. 

Fun times.  I have definitely rebuilt the deck 3 completely different ways until I settled on this.
How do you guys feel about buff enchantments like Oakenform? I can see how they come in handy, but I'm not sure if they're worth a spot in what's already a fairly small deck.

I play it in the build with 3 Boots, so the 2-for-1 aspect is negated.  If you can get it on Protean Hydra in that case, it's basically immune to damage.

However, in those rare cases where I don't get the Boots out and am forced to use it, it's usually quickly 2-for-1'd by removal.

Fun times.  I have definitely rebuilt the deck 3 completely different ways until I settled on this.

That's one of the major fun things about sealed to me. The ability to absolutely and completely tear down one build to rebuild another one. I think perhaps too many players get so super attached to a certain deck or build, that they fear tearing it down in order to experiment.
Well it seems that im extremly unlucky... I bought 10 pools, got 7 realy crappy pools with mixed colors, 1 single vampire nighthawk in 10 Pools, no titan, 4 Murders in all pools 3 of them in a pool where i cant play them. My last pool got 3 honor of the pure! Sadly only one white creature....

I got a fun to play U/B, well it got only 1 switcheroo und one murder but its a fun deck. But 9/10 pools arent competitive at all. In paper magic i would be satisfied with most of my decks but i saw some crazy **** online. I played last night against a guy with 5-7 murders, the same ammount of assasinate, X switcheroos, 3+ clones, 4 aeromancer, ****ing 3 gravetitans, two time warps and some nighthawks. I dont know how he managed to draw this **** out of his boosters but he enjoyed to show me his whole deck, murdering everything i threw on the board and blow me up in a single attack after 20 turns.

ffs sealed need a resett option! Its so annoying playing with medicore pools against such monsters.

You're not unlucky, just went up against someone who hacked their profile and created their own deck. It's fairly easy to do unfortunately. I won't be doing it, but if I start seeing many people with hacked decks I'll know it's time to stop playing if they aren't going to fix the exploit.
The fact that a the "sealed" mode even has a metagame is a problem; I love limited, but it's a one-and-done affair where you get six (not nine) boosters from a 200+ (not 151) card pool. Also not a fan of unconditional instant-speed removal at common in such a small pool.

I can barely bring myself to complete the campaign. And I'm an achievement junkie.....
The fact that a the "sealed" mode even has a metagame is a problem; I love limited, but it's a one-and-done affair where you get six (not nine) boosters from a 200+ (not 151) card pool. Also not a fan of unconditional instant-speed removal at common in such a small pool.

I can barely bring myself to complete the campaign. And I'm an achievement junkie.....

Fair enough, but you should know that you're missing out on what's probably the best part of this game. The randomness of the pulls pretty much ensures a lack of monotony when playing online. Even if you play against the same colours consistently, you still won't know what cards you'll be facing.
I actually enjoy sealed a great deal--it almost feels like I'm playing paper rather than the computer game, with the semi-randomness of it all.  One problem I keep running into is which colors to play with my primary sealed deck.  Green is the uncontested primary color, having gotten a Primordial Hydra and 3 Dungrove Elders along with some miscellaneous support cards like 2x Oakenform, Windstorm, Prized Unicorn, and Acidic Slime.  The problem is actually drawing the Dungrove Elders when I need them.  I also lack any decent creatures to create a mono Green deck, with only a Yavimaya Wurm, Duskdale Wurm, Briarpack Alpha, and 2x Deadly Recluse to choose from.

The secondary colors I've decided on are Black and Blue (of course :P).  In Black, I have Rune-scarred Demon, Hypnotic Specter, and some good support cards like Diabolic Tutor, Murder, 3x Distress, 2x Cower in Fear, Rise from the Grave, and Gravedigger to choose from.  I like these cards a lot, but I don't have enough card draw to get what I need when I need it or removal to get rid of cards I don't want to face.

On the Blue side of things, I have Void Stalker, 2x Tricks of the Trade, 2x Divination, Fog Bank, Trained Condor, 4x Essence Scatter, Sleep, Switcheroo, and Archaeomancer to work with.  It has better choices for card draw, but the creatures are kinda meh aside from the ones I mentioned.  Having Tricks of the Trade on my Elders is pretty beastly, though, especially with my lack of good enchantments from the other colors aside from the ones listed.

Any advice on which support color I should use?  Or should I try to make a 3-color deck, using the best of what I've gathered to make a super deck?  I have 2 Terramorphic Expanses to use, should I be convinced to go that route.
I have 2 different three color decks...problem is, every time I go the route of 3 colors, it always ends up being blue/green/black.  The blue for drawing (mind spring and divinations), the green for rampant growths (especially if you only pull 1 or none Terramorphic) and the deadly recluses (make people waste them murders!), and black for obvious reasons (destroy, demon, draw, flyers, discard...everything...).  Anyone else done well with different 3 color combinations and won consistently?  I play on the PS3 so don't run into hackers, luckily.

On notes about what I have seen on the PS3, it seems every deck I play is 1 of 3;
1) Black/White - DOJ, Murders x 12..., demon, specter, titan...ball game
2) Black/Blue - Divination, murder, nighthawk, murder, rat, switcheroo, divination, murder, demon...ball game
3) Black/Green - Deadly Recluse, sign in blood, 4/4 beast, murder, Might of Oaks, bat, murder, bat, 7/7 trample wurm..ball game

I have a few combination decks like these also, but have found my best deck has been red/black.  It has three scorpions, two nighthawks, three of the 4/1 elementals?, two 2/1 sorcerers, two earthquakes, two volcanic geyser, two 4/3 double sorcery/instant damage fellas, and 3 act of treason.

Basically hits hard and early and uses act of treason to pull blockers and add extra early damage, then finish them off with the earthquake/geysers. 

If things are not looking great....just earthquake yourself and take your opponent with you
It feels a lot like M13 limited. The black card pool is maybe a bit too powerful, a lot of very good commons and uncommons. The best deck I have is a B/R deck with 3 nighthawks, a lot of removal, some tutoring, graveyard recursion, 3 dragons (2 scourge of valkas) and 1 rune scarred demon and a nice mana curve.

A few days ago I also rebuilt one of the pools into a Door to Nothingness deck, it's pretty horrible with only 1 Door and 1 tutor, 3 ramp, 2 expanse and all the control spells in the pool, but I managed to win a match with it yesterday which was pretty lulz. Perfect draws and pro level topdecking skills combined with a last-minute tutor to the last forest.
It feels a lot like M13 limited. The black card pool is maybe a bit too powerful, a lot of very good commons and uncommons. The best deck I have is a B/R deck with 3 nighthawks, a lot of removal, some tutoring, graveyard recursion, 3 dragons (2 scourge of valkas) and 1 rune scarred demon and a nice mana curve.

A few days ago I also rebuilt one of the pools into a Door to Nothingness deck, it's pretty horrible with only 1 Door and 1 tutor, 3 ramp, 2 expanse and all the control spells in the pool, but I managed to win a match with it yesterday which was pretty lulz. Perfect draws and pro level topdecking skills combined with a last-minute tutor to the last forest.

Most of the cards are from M13. At least from the booster draft on this site I recognise a lot of cards.

Like some of the dudes where saying... it is really fun to completly tear down your deck and change it to a completely different strategy and colors..

I just changed one of my decks to red green pure rushdown where the highest cost is 4!! Using Goblin Shortcutter, Act of treason, and the Tectonic Rift to get my little dudes through...with Jinxed idol as the only rare! That thing messes with peoples heads man! 

Just played against a cool deck that was looping Diabolic Revelation into Rune-Scarred Demon plus Elixir of Immortality plus whatever depending how many lands he had...then next turn he pop the elixer and play runescar...getting his revalation back...or something...I was like O.o
Like some of the dudes where saying... it is really fun to completly tear down your deck and change it to a completely different strategy and colors..

I just changed one of my decks to red green pure rushdown where the highest cost is 4!! Using Goblin Shortcutter, Act of treason, and the Tectonic Rift to get my little dudes through...with Jinxed idol as the only rare! That thing messes with peoples heads man! 

Just played against a cool deck that was looping Diabolic Revelation into Rune-Scarred Demon plus Elixir of Immortality plus whatever depending how many lands he had...then next turn he pop the elixer and play runescar...getting his revalation back...or something...I was like O.o

I have a similar one, 2 Pyromancers, 2 Molten Birth, 4 Act of Treason, 4 Giant Growth, 3 Fog, 3 Shortcutters and 3 Tectonic Rifts, and 2 Earthquakes as finishers. Works pretty damn well!
Sign In to post comments