Need people to play so i can learn

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So yeah bought the 4th edition D&D and did the single player walkthrough after always wanting to play the game and so far im exited.............but i have asked friends if they want to take part and all said no!!! So if anyone here is reading this from nottingham UK and they also want to play or have a lvl 1 or just wanan roll again let me know cause that would be great!!

thanks everyone

any advise to find more ppl let me know

Jongo 
You'd have better luck posting here, in the D&D Classifieds.

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588...

Other than that check some shops near you if they have any sort of D&D group or what not. If you don't have any luck with those you can try looking for groups online as in playing over the internet.

IMAGE(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb126/FearTheLiving-DFG/FearTheLiving.png)

So yeah bought the 4th edition D&D and did the single player walkthrough after always wanting to play the game and so far im exited.............but i have asked friends if they want to take part and all said no!!! So if anyone here is reading this from nottingham UK and they also want to play or have a lvl 1 or just wanan roll again let me know cause that would be great!!

thanks everyone

Jongo 

Thought about playing online with a Virtual Table Top?  If you've not heard of VTTs check out Roll20.net and/or rptools.net.  Both great systems for playing online.

thanks everyone

Jongo 

Thought about playing online with a Virtual Table Top?  If you've not heard of VTTs check out Roll20.net and/or rptools.net.  Both great systems for playing online.

Personally, I think those are good programs, but there is nothing better for 4e than RPGTO; you can import 4e PCs from your cpu (old builder files or new builder files), buy 4e tile sets, all of the 4e monsters, upload your own images, share adventures, etc, etc. The link is in my sig. Its great for players, as it is free and you can import PCs free of charge as well.

thanks everyone

Jongo 

Personally, I think those are good programs, but there is nothing better for 4e than RPGTO; you can import 4e PCs from your cpu (old builder files or new builder files), buy 4e tile sets, all of the 4e monsters, upload your own images, share adventures, etc, etc. The link is in my sig. Its great for players, as it is free and you can import PCs free of charge as well.

I'll have to check that one out when I get home.  I have a couple quick questions though:

1)  Does it offer the same level of automation some of the Maptool frameworks do.  I really like the fact that they can track all the different status affects on a player/monster and when you click an attack macro it automatically adds combat advantage, temporary attack and/or defense modifiers and all that.  Less rules and math at the table, more gameplay.(as long as it was all set-up right anyway)

2)  Do the players have to download anything additional or can they run it straigh from thier browser.

The first one is a major advantage of Maptool and the reason I use it.  However, the set-up can be a pain at times.  If a new player joins a game, he has to go download the software and download an old version of java then tell Maptool to use it.  It's been a slight pain in the rear on more than one occasion and has caused me to think about using Roll20, since that just runs out of the browser and requires nothing on the PCs end.  Roll20 however, does not offer the automation that Maptool does, so I am hesitant to switch.  If this offers the best of both, I am really interested in looking at it.
well, nevermind, it appears as the DM, if I want to upload my own maps or tokens I can't, I have to buy them.  What BS. 
well, nevermind, it appears as the DM, if I want to upload my own maps or tokens I can't, I have to buy them.  What BS. 

I dont have much time to post right now, but you get 50 free image uploads a month (which you can then set as the map), you do have a selection of free monster and PC tokens (although you have hundreds more you can buy). They do not let you upload your own token images; if that is a deal breaker than it isnt for you. You get the basic 4e tile sets free, although you can buy more. It is true that while there is a lot of automation, there isnt as much automation possibility as maptools, but personally I would rather have things like the entire 4e library of monsters at the click of a button and the ability to easily import a PC from the CB than an auto-CA macro I have to program myself, especially since I can just add 2 to a dice roll without straining my fingers or anything.
ok guys thanks for the tips have now posted on the classified

cheers 

I dont have much time to post right now, but you get 50 free image uploads a month (which you can then set as the map), you do have a selection of free monster and PC tokens (although you have hundreds more you can buy). They do not let you upload your own token images; if that is a deal breaker than it isnt for you. You get the basic 4e tile sets free, although you can buy more. It is true that while there is a lot of automation, there isnt as much automation possibility as maptools, but personally I would rather have things like the entire 4e library of monsters at the click of a button and the ability to easily import a PC from the CB than an auto-CA macro I have to program myself, especially since I can just add 2 to a dice roll without straining my fingers or anything.

Take a look at the MPB Framework for Maptool then.  You can import monster stat blocks and .dnd4e files directly from the compendium/builder and they work with very very little setup.  It's super quick and easy, plus entirely free.  Also, with the right framework, you do not have to program those macros yourself, that's the point of the framework, it does all that for you.
Never understood why so many people have such a thing for Maptools. It's pretty clunky in my opinion. Sure it's usable but I would rather pay a few bucks and get a full product then having to mess with that thing.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Never understood why so many people have such a thing for Maptools. It's pretty clunky in my opinion. Sure it's usable but I would rather pay a few bucks and get a full product then having to mess with that thing.

I can understand why it would turn some people off, but if you have a technical/programming backround, alot of it is actually far easier to use than you would imagine, especially with the frameworks, and it's free.  Costs nothing.  Free is nice.  You never get ads or anything ever asking for money other than a donate button on the website.  It is really powerful and you can do a lot more with it than just about any other VTT I have seen.  Also, from the player end, it requires no work other than installing it, making sure you have the right version of java and connecting to the server.  Heck, most of the DMs I know that use Roll20 still build thier maps in Maptool because it is just so awesome for creating your own maps quickly and easily.
Sign In to post comments