best board game

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
My son and I enjoy playing 4 E. My sone really enjoys board games , we have not purchased any yet.. i have a few questions about them.

1. Are they any good
2. which one is better CR, WoA, of LoD.

3. How many adventures are included in each set

4. when they say that there is alot of replay value , what does that mean, how much is alot?

5. |If you finish all the adventures in the box is that it|? can you buy new adventures?

6. how much space do you need to set up the game

7. is it easy to understand the rules and play

thanks and sorry for all the questions

also are there any more board games like this about to be released?

I love these three games. They're what got me hooked on 4e a month ago. To answer your questions.

1. YES!

2. They're all a lot of fun, but ieach one adds some new game elements. My personal favorite is LoD.  

3. I believe there are 12 or 13 adventures in each. Some are connected, and WoA has two campaigns.

4. I'm not quite sure what they mean by replay value, but if you get all three, that's nearly 40 separate adventures -- more if you include the WoA campaigns. 

5. I haven't finished all of the adventures yet, but if you look around this website, there are several additional CR adventures, and one that allows you to combine CR with WoA. More would be nice. Keep your fingers crossed!  

6. I play on my dining-room table (which is about 3-feet-by-3-feet), and have plenty of room.

7. I had a heck of a time learning 4e (and I'm still learning). The board game was easy to pick up. If you already play D&D, a lot of the concepts should be pretty familiar.

As far as future releases -- I sure hope so! There's so much potential for other settings and monsters. 

Hope that helps. 

Steve 
If you were to get 1 get WoA, unless your a Drizzt fanboy then LoD. That's not to say RtCR is bad, its just that they are all great, but WoA is more refined and Drizzt has drizzt and some drow if you're in to that.

www.4eDM.org - A 4th Edition D&D Resource Site 

My son and I enjoy playing 4 E. My sone really enjoys board games , we have not purchased any yet.. i have a few questions about them.

1. Are they any good
2. which one is better CR, WoA, of LoD.

3. How many adventures are included in each set

4. when they say that there is alot of replay value , what does that mean, how much is alot?

5. |If you finish all the adventures in the box is that it|? can you buy new adventures?

6. how much space do you need to set up the game

7. is it easy to understand the rules and play

thanks and sorry for all the questions

also are there any more board games like this about to be released?

1. The "Ravenloft series" of board games (wish they'd have created a series name) is among my top 3 cooperative board games of all time. The combination of the random dungeons and the smart, yet unique behaviors of the enemies make for a fast based and challenging game every time.  The characters are thematic and each one plays differently.  Suffice it to say, this is my go-to coop for my more experienced friends.  People that don't play a lot of boardgames might be lost in some of the more complex rules, but there are enough 'first timer' rules to still allow it to be accessible.  Most of my non-gamer friends will enjoy it but lean toward simpler co-op games (e.g. Pandemic or Zombicide).

2. My personal favorite to play is Wrath of Ashardalon, but Legend of Drizzt feels more thematic (it's a better experience as a whole).  The only thing that really prevents LOD from being higher than WOA is the sheer fact that Drizzt is such an overpowered character compared to a lot of the team (especially if he gets a hold of the "haste bracers").  Often times, we will combine the WOA and LOD and play the LOD adventures.

3. Each set comes with about 20 core adventures that can be played in about an hour or two.  There are roughly 2-3 adventures in each set that are designed to be very random for the purposes of replayability.  It's not difficult to create your own adventure based on the exisiting ones as well.

4. The game is very random (almost to a fault to the opinion of many Eurogamers).  Every dungeon will look unique.  Every game will be unique.  Even a story will often play different each time.  When all three games are combined you have an experience that is very deep and ever-changing.

5. There is a lot of user-created adventures and WOTC has posted a few "best of" articles for download.  Outside of the 3 core games, there isn't much (I wish they'd release more games/articles/content/characters because I love it!).  Again, it's not hard to create your own content, just like real DND. We have talked about trying to recreate our existing PNP-RPG characters into the game, but haven't done it yet...

6. As Steve said, the game can usually be played on a 3'x3' table.  It gets cramped at later stages of each adventure, but you can offset this with a side table or two.

7. Like I said in #1, the game is very easy but not as easy as some other co-ops.  The theme is a little tough to feel at times thanks to the randomness.  All that said, COR was my first leap into pure co-op (players vs. the board) gaming and it didn't take very long for everyone at the table to get it.  My non-gamer wife and my friends' non-gamer wives are more likely to vote for a different game than this one.  My RPG-gamer friends will prefer this one over some others.  My board gamer friends will prefer more tactical and less random games.

I hope that helps.  In all, it sounds like it'd be a good fit for you.  I packed up all three games and took them to Blizzcon two years ago because I loved them so much and they took up many hours with people that I had previously only played WOW with.  They took a lot of space in my bags, but it was totally worth it!!
The only bummer about these games -- and it's not really that big of a deal -- is that the miniatures are not painted.
I'm an artist by no means, but these games inspired me to give miniature painting a whirl. While my work is nowhere near as good as the painted minis you'll see on this website, it was a fun, relaxing activity, and by the time I painted my last drow, I was actually getting to be pretty OK at at.
As a former pro minis painter, I'm glad the minis are unpainted, AAMOF, that was one of the main reasons I got the games, in order to get a bunch of decent minis to paint all in one shot.
Wrath of Ashardalon is that good? I have all 3, but I think my group has only played one mission from WoA, whereas we've played almost all of CR (my personal favorite) and many of LoD. We'll have to start playing some Wrath!
Wrath of Ashardalon is that good? I have all 3, but I think my group has only played one mission from WoA, whereas we've played almost all of CR (my personal favorite) and many of LoD. We'll have to start playing some Wrath!

WoA is a blast! I just got all three and I find WoA the most challenging of them all. The quests IMO are more in depth and well thought out. Although I have not played much of the LoD quests. The treasure you get in that game has some great items compaired to the other two. Almost too good.
Everything said times 10!

These games are really that good. I really would have loved to see another come out, possibly with a Dark Sun theme. But, I don't think that's very likely...

Anyway, these games are great for all of the reasons said already. And they are definitely replayable. A given adventure isn't "static". Due to tile randomness, different character options, and other variables, the same adventure can play out completely differently each time.

And for those that have played and been commenting on the three different boxes, I agree that WoA is the most challenging and has the most in-depth adventures. I would probably pick that one over the others whenever I played. However, I think the concept of the other two seems more appealing to my friends that come over to play. Most everyone has heard of Drizzt and also of Ravenloft and Strahd. When I mention Ashardalon, they say "who?"
I highly recommand going on boardgamegeek.com for a lot of nice new stuff. Go in the "Files" section of one of the D&D board game, their is a lot of stuff to download: New campaings, news rules, new monsters, new heroes, etc.

When you start playing D&D board game, you will see that their is a lot of new stuff that you can easily create by yourself. Good board game, only sad that the minis are not painted.