character creator

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where is the link to Download the Character Creation Generator? 
unfortunately the generator has been online only for awhile now, so you must torrent it if you want to have it offline.
sorry, but I believe giving a url to a generator that WotC purposely took from offline use would break some rule somewhere or otherwise piss them off.
but it's out there.

I promise.

I wouldn't know for sure.

But it's there. Promise. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Thanks bud
Use the online builder.  It's fully up to date and believe me, I wasn't a fan of it when it was first released but now I find it way easier to use than the old offline builder, and I enjoy the cleaner, less cluttered look and feel of the character sheet.

As for the offline builder, yeah, it's out there, but IMO, it's not worth it  ... buggy junk.  Save yourself the grief and embrace the change.  After all, you're already paying for it.

And if you have any questions on how the online builder works or doesn't work or whatever, feel free to ask them in the D&D Insider forum.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

and I enjoy the cleaner, less cluttered look and feel of the character sheet.

Only addressing this point:
I believe you never got the hang of how to customize the character sheets in the offline build.
You could remove or resize blocks, shrink and stretch columns,  hide or collapse details and so on.

I made a custom layout for myself that has all the important details in a single page, using the back side for inventory, and the rest being all power cards.

I must prefer the offline, customizeable character sheets to the online one.

But yeah, getting it now is... a quest in an of itself.

I believe you never got the hang of how to customize the character sheets in the offline build.
You could remove or resize blocks, shrink and stretch columns,  hide or collapse details and so on.

I made a custom layout for myself that has all the important details in a single page, using the back side for inventory, and the rest being all power cards.

Oh, believe me, I did.  I customized the heck out of mine, and believe it or not, we came on almost the same solution ... I got everything I wanted on one page and use the back page for inventory and notes, etc.

I just like the newer layout (not the simplified Essentials layout, that's TOO simple for me) because it's the right size text (I know you could change font size on the old one) and it's just pleasing for me to look at.  Generally what I do is print the 1st and 2nd pages on one sheet of paper, front and back, and just not use the 3rd page.  For some reason, now when I go back to the old character builder I just kinda go ugh ... too much.  Matter of fact, I found somewhere a fillable PDF of the online CB-style character sheet and I use that for a few 3rd party classes that aren't in the official CB for when I want to fill out a sheet by hand.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Oh, believe me, I did.  I customized the heck out of mine, and believe it or not, we came on almost the same solution ... I got everything I wanted on one page and use the back page for inventory and notes, etc.

I just like the newer layout (not the simplified Essentials layout, that's TOO simple for me) because it's the right size text (I know you could change font size on the old one) and it's just pleasing for me to look at.  Generally what I do is print the 1st and 2nd pages on one sheet of paper, front and back, and just not use the 3rd page.  For some reason, now when I go back to the old character builder I just kinda go ugh ... too much.  Matter of fact, I found somewhere a fillable PDF of the online CB-style character sheet and I use that for a few 3rd party classes that aren't in the official CB for when I want to fill out a sheet by hand.

The one thing I really dislike about the online builder and it's char sheets is it does not always show you -how- it arrives at the bonuses on things.  It's great that it's all there and all correct, but sometime, when a player submits thier char to me in *.dnd4e format and I load it up in the builder, I want to see each bonus that leads up to that +11 Atk.  The old builder had that, the new one does not.

Also, in addition to the old builder being out there somewhere, fairly easy to find, if it exists at all, I have also heard rumor of a third party editor that you can use to update it, that can be found if you look, I think, but probably not.

All that said, I still pay for DDI and use the online builder.  It really is nice to be able to build my chars at home, and after players submit them, see them there, but also log in from work and then print them out on the nice color printer here.  Both have thier advantages though.

Also, in addition to the old builder being out there somewhere, fairly easy to find 1, if it exists at all, I have also heard rumor of a third party editor that you can use to update it 2, that can be found if you look, I think, but probably not.

All that said, I still pay for DDI and use the online builder.  It really is nice to be able to build my chars at home, and after players submit them, see them there, but also log in from work and then print them out on the nice color printer here.  Both have thier advantages though.

Risking it.
1) Yes, though not that easy
2) Yes, confirmed

And yeah, the only real advantage with the online builder is being able to check it from anywhere without having to move files back and forth.

It's really the only reason why I signed up for another year of D&DI even when the updates are coming in dreadfully slow.

The one thing I really dislike about the online builder and it's char sheets is it does not always show you -how- it arrives at the bonuses on things.  It's great that it's all there and all correct, but sometime, when a player submits thier char to me in *.dnd4e format and I load it up in the builder, I want to see each bonus that leads up to that +11 Atk.  The old builder had that, the new one does not.

You should be able to see that, but not on the character sheet.  You need to go to the Powers tab and click on the individual power.  If you scroll down on the right side it'll show you its calculations.

You should be able to see that, but not on the character sheet.  You need to go to the Powers tab and click on the individual power.  If you scroll down on the right side it'll show you its calculations.

Yeah, that's my problem, as a newer DM, if a player is playing a class I am not as familiar with and they send me a .pdf of thier char sheet, I end up having to rebuild it within my builder to find out these things instead of just a glance at the sheet.  I have solved the problem by simply requesting*.dnd4e files from the people that have the builder instead of the .pdf.  It's not a huge deal, but when building the macros within Maptool, it really helps to know where all the bonuses come from.  The more I play, the easier it gets as I am getting more familiar with all the classes though.