P.E.A.C.H Gensai Wizard control/blaster?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ki-amar, level 2
Genasi, Wizard (Mage)
School: Evocation School
Elemental Manifestation Option: Embersoul
Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 17 Will: 13
HP: 30 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Dungeoneering +6, History +11, Nature +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Endurance +6, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +0, Perception +1, Religion +6, Stealth +1, Streetwise +0, Thievery +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Embersoul Genasi Racial Attack: Ashfall Evasion
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Attack 1: Fountain of Flame
Wizard Attack 1: Flaming Sphere
Wizard Attack 1: Burning Hands
Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism
Wizard Attack 1: Freezing Burst
Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Wizard Utility 2: Spectral Image

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather

ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)
Adventurer's Kit
Quarterstaff x1
Leather Armor x1
====== End ======

Im content playing an all control character i would maybe like it more. I have never played a controller i played pathfinder before this i was an archer. My party *posted in a different thread* had no controller or tank so my friend went gensai swordmage "shielding" and im going wizard. i think i probably picked the wrong type "mage" but i have no experience at higher levels or with a caster/controller i like the idea of blaster stuff but our group doesnt really need the damage i have read the archmage guide i think i did an ok job. but im open to any suggestions only request is i need to stay a gensai for background purposes.

id love to be more controller than it is but this game is hard to grasp in such a short time with so little play time in. 

if you want to be a genasi blaster, you should start w/ 20 int 16 str (or 18 str, 18 int, 12 dex, 12 wis--so you can get dual implement/spell focus in paragon) and take the feat elemental empowerment. Further, whenever possible, you should take "born under a bad sign" or "auspicious birth" background. 
I wanted to be more controller than blaster but the illusions vs enchantment vs conjure im not sure how to put it all together.
well... for control, i like illusionist, with renegade red wizard theme, all the good debuffs to save ends stuff (laurel crown, etc), with the good daily save ends powers (read sleep) and with winged horde at will (energy admixtured to thunder, taking the feats resounding thunder/enlarge spell/psychic lock/mark of thunder/orb expertise/superior implement crystal orb) you will have an at will that is an area burst 3, enemies only, slides 2, and gives a -4 to each of their attacks--you will have awesome at will control and encounter ending dailies (then you can focus on encounter powers that are interrupts or minor actions)...
Genasi are great at blasting. Not so much as a full control wizard. Seriously, the main selling point of Genasi Wizards is Elemental Empowerment. So for a start, might be worth getting a different race. If you do want to stay with Genasi, I heartily recommend Stormsouls. Promise of Storm is so much gravy on your AoE attacks.

Get rid of Magic Missile. Swap it for Beguiling Strands or Winged Horde. Basically either focus on being a blaster or a controller. Usually characters who try to do both (Without generous helping of optimization and block of tofu DMs) suck at both.
Tieflings tend to be the best... Deva ain't bad either
Genasi are great at blasting. Not so much as a full control wizard. Seriously, the main selling point of Genasi Wizards is Elemental Empowerment. So for a start, might be worth getting a different race. If you do want to stay with Genasi, I heartily recommend Stormsouls. Promise of Storm is so much gravy on your AoE attacks.

Get rid of Magic Missile. Swap it for Beguiling Strands or Winged Horde. Basically either focus on being a blaster or a controller. Usually characters who try to do both (Without generous helping of optimization and block of tofu DMs) suck at both.

He's a Mage, his at-wills have to be Magic Missile and two others.

Devas are mostly awesome wizards because Tieflings are awesome wizards.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I like Devas better as Invokers or Invoker/Hybrids like Cazzeo's Dominator or MwaO's Illusion of Hope
the race is semi important only due to background issues i think there are ways around it. My friends character gensai swordmage and i are suppose to be brothers, i think a shade could be refluffed to fit sounds like deva or tiefling are the best options. illusion with thunder sounds like its awesome. also looks like arcanist > mage. why are tiefling and deva so good i though gensai and int and con to make them good. i thought wizards like int and con? 
Tiefling is the feat support. Deva is the Soul of the World ED, which opens up Tiefling (and everyone else's) feat support. That was the joke.
If you're set on playing a genasi, this thread is old but has some of the basics about the genasi blaster build.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

anyone have a build they could post?
Asking other people to post builds for you is going to get you nowhere fast. May i recommed checking out the builds section of the wizards handbook or seeing if there are any wizards on the elysium fields thread.
The builds seem very very specialized or built around using specific weapons.I understand your point I'll just go with what I got play with the character builder.
IIRC the old wizard handbook by Nausicaa has sample builds. There
should be a couple of genasi blasters there, not sure how up to date they are. 

Also, Arcanists are better if you abuse Improved Tome of Readiness, otherwise not so much.
The builds seem very very specialized or built around using specific weapons.I understand your point I'll just go with what I got play with the character builder.

A build that doesn't invest in a specific weapon type is a bad build. Basic optimization rule of 4e.

4e rewards specialization. Another basic optimization tidbit.
There's an example build in the thread I linked.  From a rules standpoint, it's probably a little more complicated than a Tiefling fire blaster (you need to be up to speed on how keywords work).  The other option you mentioned would be a Tiefling enchanter/illusionist, which is obviously a totally separate build.  All three of these builds can be very potent, but they don't generally mix well with one another.  There are various threads out there for both Tiefling builds. 

You have finite resources (namely feats, but also gold) that you need to invest in making these builds better and picking feats that improve fire damage (for example) and then taking enchanter powers half the time means you're not spending your finite resources effectively. 
with the suggestions i got and the guides given i changed to teifling and picked more control centered abilities to focus on control and not try to mix damage i picked the orb for more sliding and also mage class for more sliding i think i have a +3 to forced movements? im not sure how the rules work. i think i have a push 6 total for at will. 

hope it looks better than before. my first real caster.

Morthos, level 2
Tiefling, Wizard (Mage)
School: Enchantment School
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 18 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16
HP: 34 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Diplomacy +9, History +11, Religion +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1

POWERS
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep
Wizard Attack 1: Grasping Shadows
Wizard Attack 1: Beguiling Strands
Wizard Utility 2: Glib Tongue

FEATS
Level 1: Orb Expertise
Level 2: Armor Proficiency: Leather

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Orb Implement x1
Leather Armor x1
====== End ======

That armor profiency just hurts my eyes. I would pick a superior implement feat as well as a superior implement right off the bat. Never know when your DM is gonna let you shop again.
That armor profiency just hurts my eyes. I would pick a superior implement feat as well as a superior implement right off the bat. Never know when your DM is gonna let you shop again.

See normally I would agree with you on this point, but for a control based enchant mage..  Not so much ?  What does the superior implement really give you ?  In my experience, not much that can't wait until later on.  However a bonus to AC or a bonus to initiative would, I think, be more tantalizing.

As for the build itself, I would change a few things.  Your powers are solid, feats are good (imo you either go for Umarmored Agility or Leather Prof), I would drop CON and invest more into CHA instead.  Like that your racial feat for intiative gains even more value and will scale as you level up at a better pace.  You're not using CON for your HP anyway because of your background, so it's really not worth the points invested.  Left over points should be put into WIS, even an 11 or 12 would open up feats for you eventually that you might find interesting as well as multiclass options.  Your FORT defense will go down, but it was basically in the gutter anyway, the odds of an attack against it missing you weren't good.

What theme are you going for ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I think accuracy will improve battlefield control, and if his teammates know what they're doing, his AC should not be targetted all that often.

haha fair enough
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Been reading themes not sure yet. Red mage sounded cool.
So what are the best implements. I thought orb would be good with the + sliding
so i think i picked better starting feats found crystal orbs. *didnt know there was more than just a regular orb :P* 

Morthos, level 2
Tiefling, Wizard (Mage)
School: Enchantment School
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 11, CHA 14

AC: 16 Fort: 11 Ref: 16 Will: 16
HP: 34 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Diplomacy +9, History +11, Nature +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Bluff +6, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +1, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +4, Perception +1, Religion +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1

POWERS
Scholar Utility: Use Vulnerability
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep
Wizard Attack 1: Grasping Shadows
Wizard Attack 1: Beguiling Strands
Wizard Utility 2: Glib Tongue

FEATS
Level 1: Orb Expertise
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Crystal orb)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Crystal orb x1
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
Dagger
====== End ======

Sign In to post comments