[M14-ICD] Barrage of Expendables

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
It said in the article why they needed to have it cost mana to activate. Modern does NOT need the goblin bombardment + enduring renewal combo.
scorched Rusalka is a creature. If it stopped being a creature, it would be the closest card to barrage of expendables here. That's all. My point is that this card is much worse than Scorched Rusalka.

Really? I was always under the impression that being "on a stick" was worse than being on an artifact or enchantment. Is it because Rusalka could get in the red zone if need be?

Pretty much. Just compare Dark Confidant to Dark Tutelage, or even Phyrexian Arena.
How many times have we seen this flavor text with different wording?

All goblin flavor text is basically the same thing said a different way.

except Rummaging Goblin, fortunately
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
scorched Rusalka is a creature. If it stopped being a creature, it would be the closest card to barrage of expendables here. That's all. My point is that this card is much worse than Scorched Rusalka.

Really? I was always under the impression that being "on a stick" was worse than being on an artifact or enchantment. Is it because Rusalka could get in the red zone if need be?

And self-sacifrice made removal sting less. The real point is, Scorched Rusalka replaced a one-drop, and served as a mogg fanatic stand-in, switching between creature and burn. This is only burn, leading to the question...

Regardless, I'll be testing this in my B/r Zombies deck and various other red decks to see if it will help them go over the top for those last few points of damage like I think it will.

What do remove? You can't pull searing spear for this, or a one-drop zombie. It's far worse than Flakenrath, and doesn't do as much work as blood artist.

I'll be honest and say I'm more looking at one of my straight red burn decks than my B/r Standard Zombies. I'd be willing to go down a couple of cards for a way to push those last points of damage through, which is really important to me as a player. Also, with this out, Geralfs Messenger turns into a four-mana-for-five, which is something alot of zombie decks would like to do on turn four and on. Whether it's possible or not is another matter, but you'll never know until you try, right?

I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.

Regardless, I'll be testing this in my B/r Zombies deck and various other red decks to see if it will help them go over the top for those last few points of damage like I think it will.

Being "on legs" is worse than being an artifact or enchantment IF we're talking about a big effect on a small body.

If we're talking about a small effect on a reasonably costed body, it's actually much better to be a creature.

Qasali Pridemage > Naturalize
Hero of Oxid Ridge > Gruul War Chant

In the case of a small, aggro effect like Rusalka?  Absolutely you want a creature.  It's not like you're locking down the board or drawing seven cards or something crazy; you're doing a little bit of damage to the face.  And when you have an extra 1/1 body, you get to do a little bit more damage to the face.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

EyeHunter appears to have overlooked the fact Barrage can target creatures while Rusalka cannot.

Between Burn at the Stake, Massive Raid, Young Pyromancer, and this, I'm seeing a quirky creature-based burn deck happening.

EyeHunter appears to have overlooked the fact Barrage can target creatures while Rusalka cannot.

Between Burn at the Stake, Massive Raid, Young Pyromancer, and this, I'm seeing a quirky creature-based burn deck happening.

I called this irrelevent in my first post.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Not actually irrelevant at all. Just less relevant. If Rusalka had been able to hit creatures.....I get shivers just thinking about it.
Synergy with Doubling Season: 1/3
Not really that good. Yeah creature token decks love it I guess, but who wants to put mountains in a deck like that? Just no. Please don't use this in your doubling season decks.

Playable in Standard: 3.5/5
Oh yeah. This is going to shake the format. Definitely a good card. Lots of cool things you could do with it. Assemble the Legion decks would love this, for instance.

Would I draft it: 2/2
Hell yeah I would draft it. This + Tenacious Dead is crazy, and both are going to show up pretty commonly.

EDH playability: 2/5
You probably have better options over this card, but this card lets you practically play two of those sac engines, and it'll be cheap. I say go for it.

Would I play it in other formats: 1/2
Meh.

Flavor hit: 3/3
Finally a goblin cannon card done right.

Final Score: 12.5/20
Overall: A very cool new card. 

Stop the H4TE

Being able to knock out Dark Confidants and Birds of Paradise with recurrable creatures is not irrelevant. Not to mention the combo with Sprouting Phytohydra...Yeah, the Rusalka can sac itself if necessary and I'm not saying it's bad either, just that I think Barrage here is just as good. And if you're playing one, why not both? You get double the sac outlets.

Goblins fling goblins at the enemy.

Planeswalkers fling Dragon Eggs instead.

You can probably make an infinite combo in Modern with this and Enduring Renewal (Tangleroot and Wild Cantor?).  But why would you play that, when you can go infinite with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker instead?

Modern has got enduring renewal + Blasting Station so what's the big deal?

Yeah the thing about scorched rusalka was that it could attack for 1. It could also sacrifice itself to deal 1 more damage. It wasn't useless in multiples. In red aggro, getting the most damage out of your cards is more important than dodging creature removal. If you're more of a combo deck based around sacrificing, this is better. 

good one drops are hard to find
NO WAR

On Entrance; put a land you control owner's hand.

: gather , or .

and tap a creature you control: add or remove

an underground counter to or from that creaure.

Creatures with underground counters

can only block or be blocked by

other creatures with underground counters.

~ancient and forgotten dwell

Sign In to post comments