Would like to make a deck around Jace

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I recently found a Jace, Memory Adept in a pack and I wanna build a milling deck around him. Problem is that I don't know what cards to use around him. I can do either straight Blue or Blue Black.
I can see this going in two different directions.

1. Going all-out Mill, with Jace landing on turn 5 to Glimpse the Unthinkable your opponent, and hopefully finish them off with a second Glimpse on turn 6. Seems weak to me for several reasons. If you're packing your deck with 1-shot mill effects, you can easily run out of gas before your opponent is finished, and you won't have made any impact on the board state to show for it. This also makes you very reliant on Jace as the finisher, and if he's countered or killed, you won't win. Plus, for an all-out offense deck with no backup plan, a turn 6 win isn't particularly impressive. RDW or Sui-black could do it in 4 turns, and they wouldn't burn out as fully.

2. Going a control route, with mill as the eventual plan. Pack your deck full of permission, destruction, bounce, etc. Jace's Phantasm makes for a solid roadblock/alt wincon, as does Wight of Precint Six if you put black in the deck. Upon landing Jace, you'll primarily generate card advantage off of his +1 ability, possibly after a single 0 ability to help your creatures out. Then, once you've established board dominance, you can win through some combination of creature beats or Jace's 0 and -7 abilities. This strikes me as the better option by far. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

I can see this going in two different directions.

1. Going all-out Mill, with Jace landing on turn 5 to Glimpse the Unthinkable your opponent, and hopefully finish them off with a second Glimpse on turn 6. Seems weak to me for several reasons. If you're packing your deck with 1-shot mill effects, you can easily run out of gas before your opponent is finished, and you won't have made any impact on the board state to show for it. This also makes you very reliant on Jace as the finisher, and if he's countered or killed, you won't win. Plus, for an all-out offense deck with no backup plan, a turn 6 win isn't particularly impressive. RDW or Sui-black could do it in 4 turns, and they wouldn't burn out as fully.

2. Going a control route, with mill as the eventual plan. Pack your deck full of permission, destruction, bounce, etc. Jace's Phantasm makes for a solid roadblock/alt wincon, as does Wight of Precint Six if you put black in the deck. Upon landing Jace, you'll primarily generate card advantage off of his +1 ability, possibly after a single 0 ability to help your creatures out. Then, once you've established board dominance, you can win through some combination of creature beats or Jace's 0 and -7 abilities. This strikes me as the better option by far. 

A control option seems really attractive to me (My other deck is a green-blue infect that has a LOT of aggro). I would imagine Vapor Snag and Rewind would be spells I would want to invest in. Along with that blue card with Defender and negates damage (cannot remember the name)
Probably Fog Bank? It's a solid defensive card.

Vapor Snag is objectively powerful, though if you plan to win via mill the loss of life is immaterial and you might consider a simple Unsummon instead for use on your own dudes. I'm more of a fan of Repeal and Into the Roil for the cantrip.

Rewind is solid, but in practice I often have no use for the untap effect and the cost can be prohibitive. I recommend 2-mana countermagic, with my three favorites being Remand, Rune Snag, and Mana Leak.  

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Probably Fog Bank? It's a solid defensive card.

Vapor Snag is objectively powerful, though if you plan to win via mill the loss of life is immaterial and you might consider a simple Unsummon instead for use on your own dudes. I'm more of a fan of Repeal and Into the Roil for the cantrip.

Rewind is solid, but in practice I often have no use for the untap effect and the cost can be prohibitive. I recommend 2-mana countermagic, with my three favorites being Remand, Rune Snag, and Mana Leak.  

Fog Bank was definitely the card I was looking for. I really like Into the Roil as well.

I can see your point about Mana Leak and Rune Snag as well.  I'll look to pick one playset of those up.