Five attacking - three defending too complex for n00b

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have declared attackers Plated Geopede had land this turn so it is 3/3, Stone Giant, Anger, Greater Stone Spirit and Vulshok Berserker

Does my opponent have to declare defenders first or he can use his Mistmeadow Witch and exile two of my attackers he had enough mana.

He declared three defenders Wall of Denial, Slith Strider was 3/3 at the moment and Mistmeadow Witch

I casted Seismic Strike had 8 or 9 mana aviable targeting Mistmeadow Witch, can my opponent at that moment before my spel resolves exile two of my creatures(I gues not because my spell is on top of the stack)

In a response to my Seismic he summoned Whitemane Lion and took his Mistmeadow in his hand, and than he casted Vanish into Memory targeting my Greater Stone Spirit, I guess that even when priority returned to me that I can't use it's spells before it gets exiled.

I get the feeling that I played wrong all this time having priority in mind, me and my friends played as there are several "stacks" at same time. Now I am pretty sure that there is only one stack at the time and that players have both to pass, before game can continue.

Confusing is when there are like I described  several attacking and defending creatures, I guess that after assigning defenders attacking player gets back priority to cast instants or activate abilities. HERE I get confused do I have to declare instants/enchants/abilities on ALL attacking creatures at the same time or we should deal with each pair separate. I guess that combat damage is being assigned simultaniosly on all creatures regardless on their numbers on the battlefield(Guessing that's why we have to declare all attackers at the same time and not one by one).

But stack is what is confusing, can attacking player activate ability on one creature and wait for respone(pass) or he have to activate/cast all he/she had planned to do at the same time and than wait for response, before he gets priority again.

I have declared attackers Plated Geopede had land this turn so it is 3/3, Stone Giant, Anger, Greater Stone Spirit and Vulshok Berserker

Does my opponent have to declare defenders first or he can use his Mistmeadow Witch and exile two of my attackers he had enough mana.

He will get priority before the declare attackers step, so he can use the Witch.

He declared three defenders Wall of Denial, Slith Strider was 3/3 at the moment and Mistmeadow Witch

I casted Seismic Strike had 8 or 9 mana aviable targeting Mistmeadow Witch, can my opponent at that moment before my spel resolves exile two of my creatures(I gues not because my spell is on top of the stack)

Yes, your opponent can respond by using the Witch's ability.  Those activations will go on top of the stack, and they will resolve first.  

In a response to my Seismic he summoned Whitemane Lion and took his Mistmeadow in his hand, and than he casted Vanish into Memory targeting my Greater Stone Spirit, I guess that even when priority returned to me that I can't use it's spells before it gets exiled.

Yes, you can use the Spirit's ability, if that's what you mean.

I get the feeling that I played wrong all this time having priority in mind, me and my friends played as there are several "stacks" at same time. Now I am pretty sure that there is only one stack at the time and that players have both to pass, before game can continue.

You are correct.  There is one stack.  When both players pass priority without doing anything, then the top item on the stack resolves and then each player will get priority again.

Confusing is when there are like I described  several attacking and defending creatures, I guess that after assigning defenders attacking player gets back priority to cast instants or activate abilities. HERE I get confused do I have to declare instants/enchants/abilities on ALL attacking creatures at the same time or we should deal with each pair separate. I guess that combat damage is being assigned simultaniosly on all creatures regardless on their numbers on the battlefield(Guessing that's why we have to declare all attackers at the same time and not one by one).

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

But stack is what is confusing, can attacking player activate ability on one creature and wait for respone(pass) or he have to activate/cast all he/she had planned to do at the same time and than wait for response, before he gets priority again.

Either way.  You can activate several abilities in a row without passing priority, or you can activate one, pass priority, then activate another one when you get priority again.  The key thing to remember is that nothing on  the stack resolves until all players pass priority without doing anything.

The stack and priority are covered in the excellent FAQ in Rules Q&A.  I think that if you read that, it will help clear up your confusion.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I also recommend that you and your friends read the basic rulebook.  This will also help clear up the confusion your group is having.  It's available here:
www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

Let's break this whole mess down. 

Sweet.

Both players always get priority before any step can end. After you declare attackers, both players will get priority. Your opponent can easily exile as many creatures as he can at this point, before he has to declare blockers.

M'kay.

First off, you most likely have Land available, not mana. Land is not mana, mana is not land. Your spell is on top of the stack, sure, but unless it had Split Second your opponent is welcome to put his own spells or abilities above it. So your opponent can use the Witch even though she's under the gun.

As said above, the Whitemane play works. If your opponent then uses Vanish, you'll get priority after he passes it just as he did against your own spell. You have plenty of time to use the Stone Spirit's activated abilities. Note that they're abilities, not spells. Only you can cast spells =P

There is only ever one stack. You're correct in that both players have to pass. Each time both players pass, ONE item resolves off of the stack, and then both players get priority and pass again. Then, once both players pass on an EMPTY stack, the step or phase ends.

Both players get priority after the declaration of attackers, then again after the declaration of blockers. You can never use more than one ability at a time, so if you have multiple plays to make, you play them one at a time and obey the priority rules. Of course, players always get priority back after they use an ability or spell, but you almost always want to let your opponent respond or decline to respond before proceeding. That way, you don't cast three back-to-back-to-back Giant Growths only to lose them all to a single Murder. Most instants and abilities occur during the Declare Blockers step after blockers are declared, and once the stack is empty and both players pass, we move to the Combat Damage step at which point all combat damage is dealt simultaneously. Unless, of course, First Strike or Double Strike are relevant. 

That should be adequately answered above. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Oof, ninja'd so hard. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Sign In to post comments