[3CM] Three Card Magic: Alternate Formats (New Players Welcome!)

258 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rDAAwbR.png)

Welcome to Three Card Magic: Alternate Formats! We're starting a new run of everyone's favorite forum way to play Magic. If you're new to the game, read the rules below; it's the same Magic you've always played, but with a few different rules and a much smaller deck size. If you're a returning player, welcome back!

Rules
1. Each round is a new format with its own restrictions on deck-building. Each player creates a deck of three Magic cards following the restrictions of that round. Decks are submitted to me via private message entitled "3cm Round #". My deck is finalised before reading these PMs; if you'd like me to send you a verification PM with my list in it, just ask. You may update your decklist up until the deadline. (Unless you've asked me to share my list with you.) Rounds will be once per week, ending at 9pm PST each Wednesday.
2. Each deck will play against each other deck twice, once going first and once going second. Wins are worth 3 points, draws are worth 1 and losses are worth 0. 
3. Normal Magic rules apply to a game of 3CM, except that players do not lose if they would draw from an empty library. (Note that draws are not skipped: if you can get a card back into your library you will draw it as you would in a normal Magic game.)
4. Games are played with the contents of both decks known to each player at all times. Players will always play optimally and to win. 
5. If the original source of a random effect (i.e. coinflip) comes from one player's deck, the other player chooses its outcome.
6. Effects that get cards from outside the game (Wishes, Research // Development, Ring of Ma'ruf) cannot be used to find anything. 
7. When the round is closed, a spreadsheet of all the decks and matchups is posted, to be filled in by the players. Players are encouraged to double-check the matchups graded by other players, since mistakes are often made when complicated decks are involved. 
8. When the scores are completed, the player(s) with the highest score are allowed to choose a new format to be added to the next format poll.

Banned List
Each round will have its own banned list, but the following are assumed to be banned every round unless otherwise stated.

Any card banned in Vintage.
Any deck that can reduce the number of cards in an opponent's hand by more than one card during a single turn.
Any deck that can win before an opponent has had a full turn.
Barren Glory
Blackmail
Chancellor of the Annex
Channel
Dark Depths
Flash
Foil
Force of Will
Ghost Quarter
Inquisition of Kozilek
Laboratory Maniac
Leyline of Anticipation
Phyrexian Revoker
Shelldock Isle
Show and Tell
Strip Mine
Thoughtseize

Previous 3CM threads and rounds
Qwyrixian's reign
Caldera42's reign
Just_a_cleric's reign
Purple_Shrimp's reign
Rush's reign

Round 1 - Winner: razorborne
Round 2 - Winner: Artemix
Round 3 - Winner: razorborne
Round 4 - Winner: Rush_Clasic
Round 5 - Winner: Rush_Clasic
Round 6 - Winner: billiondegree
Round 7 - Winner: razorborne
Round 8 - Winner: Rush_Clasic

Leaderboard
New players begin with a starting ELO of 1200.

razorborne - 1379
Rush_Clasic - 1362
thatmarkguy - 1318
verdek - 1300
Ffancrzy - 1299
Shazzeh - 1297
Dr_Demento - 1297
DARK_DRACO - 1272
Just_a_cleric - 1272
silasw - 1270
billiondegree - 1256
Purple_Shrimp - 1243
Artemix - 1238
iamajellydonut - 1216
EternalUnreality - 1210
Suudsu220 - 1210
SimonGlume - 1205
CommanderJim - 1193
plopfill - 1181
morticianjohn - 1176
WildWumpus - 1175
Nyktos - 1164
Shockwave07 - 1151
mqj - 1150
Aaarrrgh - 1144
Thragtusk2468 - 1136
Bahamuto - 1135
tmich - 1127
Tevish_Szat - 1108
Caldera42 - 1094
Esterdi - 1078
Gathered - 1042

||ROUND 9: 4CM Alt-Win-Con||
Players submit 4 card decks. Players don't lose the game for having 0 or less life or for having 10 or more poison counters. Submissions due by September 4th, 9pm PST.

Dark Depths, Flash, Leyline of Anticipation, and Show and Tell are all unbanned for this round.

Round 9 Spreadsheet

ROUND 10: Badghast
Each deck must lose (0-6) against Swamp/Undiscovered Paradise/Bloodghast. Submissions due Wednesday, 11am PST, September 25th.

Note: Not sure what day the normal deadlines will be. It depends on a few things going on with the forums. Also, until polls go back up, we'll either have to do vote-by-post of figure something else out. I also have to finish the the spreadsheet from last round. Anywho, get those decks in for next round!

WOOT! New thread and my submitted format is the first one. Can't wait.
Rush, is this 4th card starting in your library or hand?
In your hand. I'll update that information into the round criteria.
And yet my sideboarding idea was "too complicated" 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I wish Gemstone Caverns weren't useless.
blah blah metal lyrics

I do not follow.  Isn't that just about the perfect card for this format?  It lets you play a turn-0 Force Spike/Mana Tithe or Piracy Charm/Funeral Charm on the draw.  A simple deck like Manasource - Disruption - Threat with this as a bonus .5-on-draw card (exiling your manasource) should work... doesn't it?
Huh.

Yeah, those sure are better than any of the ideas I came up with for it.
blah blah metal lyrics
way to ruin the tech

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I was just thinking of it as "you get an extra land on turn 1" and forgot about the part where it comes down on your opponent's turn.
blah blah metal lyrics

I do not follow.  Isn't that just about the perfect card for this format?  It lets you play a turn-0 Force Spike/Mana Tithe or Piracy Charm/Funeral Charm on the draw.  A simple deck like Manasource - Disruption - Threat with this as a bonus .5-on-draw card (exiling your manasource) should work... doesn't it?

OK.  So now you have the Caverns on the field and no cards in hand.  What's your wincon from there?  And if you are not on the draw, it's a land that can only produce colorless mana.  One of them might be the mana source you were planning to exile if you went 2nd, so now you need a one-card wincon.

Doesn't sound that useful.

Mishra's Factory?  Blinkmoth Nexus?  Chronomaton?  Those usual suspects in 3CM as wincons when you dedicate a card to disruption.  You don't even need to resort to the usual fallback trio of 0-cost self-contained 1/1 threats (Memnite, Dryad Arbor, Chancellor of the Forge).

If you're not on the draw, it's not even in your deck.  That's the format we're talking about - a format where you get a fourth card when you're on the draw that you don't get when you're on the play.

Something like: 

Mox Sapphire
Piracy Charm
Mishra's Factory
and-when-on-the-draw-bonus-card Gemstone Caverns.
Gah! The format itself will tell us whether the idea is good or not. My prize deck is ruined! ;)
My deck is so wierd.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
I'm gonna try something crazy, just to be unique.

Edit: lol I lied.

Edit2: Nevermind. >:3 
Bad decks is going to be so much fun if it wins

not really. we've done it like 80 times before.

I've always enjoyed the bad decks format.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a Pauper 3CM; no mythics, no rares, limit 1 uncommon, no limit on commons and basic land.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pauper 3CM; no mythics, no rares, limit 1 uncommon, no limit on commons and basic land.

Could be interesting. Gotta win the round to guarantee it gets in the poll!

not really. we've done it like 80 times before.

And yet the last one was last October.  And there are people here that haven't been here forever, you don't need to tell people they're not going to have fun just because you've done something before.  See that "New players welcome" in the title?  It means you shouldnt' keep on trying to antagonize and push away other people who just want to have fun.  But keep on pissing in everyone's cornflakes, it's making you so many friends.

IMHO bad decks' win-against-nothing restriction is too lenient.  The last time bad decks was run the minimum requirement was that it be able to beat at least one of Island-Island-StormCrow or Forest-Forest-GrizzlyBears.
And yet the last one was last October.  And there are people here that haven't been here forever, you don't need to tell people they're not going to have fun just because you've done something before.  See that "New players welcome" in the title?  It means you shouldnt' keep on trying to antagonize and push away other people who just want to have fun.  But keep on pissing in everyone's cornflakes, it's making you so many friends.

woah there, Sparky. my point is that, from experience, it's not actually all that fun.

Could be interesting. Gotta win the round to guarantee it gets in the poll!

I'm thinking; I'm thinking!

I've only played 5-card backbuild, I really have no idea what the 3CM version would look like.

I guess it really is just looking for the slowest win condition possible.

In the 5 card version, Opalescence+Standstill is popular, but you can't really do that with only 3 cards.
If I win, I'm gonna feel guilty. :/ So I kinda hope I get curb-stomped.
Still over 9 hours to submit decklists! Find a 3CM deck that would love to be a 4CM deck half the time.

And yet my sideboarding idea was "too complicated" 

Resend it to me. I forget what it was.
Well, seems like I submitted my "bad deck" a week too early.
3, 5, 6, and8 don't seem to have anything. Am I reading this wrong? D:
The scoresheet doesn't just fill itself out.  3, 5, 6, and 8 haven't been filled out yet because nobody's gone through and figured out how they did yet. Usually people fill out their deck's own score row (you're #6!), and only if they have an abundance of time or ambition do they do other people's rows as well.
What Mark said. I fill them out if a day or so goes by without people working on their own rows. But I miss quirky interactions ALL THE TIME, so I'm not to be trusted!
Wait, wait, wait.  3CM isn't a singleton format?  This changes everything!

Also, I did not expect that to actually work out so well, especially after my original idea got all effed up.

Looks like raz wins another. I feel a meerca hate-crime coming on.

||ROUND 2: Bad Decks||
Players submit "bad" decks and scoring is reversed: you get 0 points for wins and 3 points for losses. (Ties remain the same.) Each deck submitted must be able to win against an opponent whose deck has blank cards at all. (For example, using Karn Liberated as your win condition does not make for a legal deck this round.) Players still play optimally and to win. The "random" rule will also be reversed this round: if your deck would create a random effect, instead you choose its outcome. Decks are due by 9pm next Wednesday, July 17th.

Additional Bans

Helix Pinnacle
Define "an opponent who does nothing".

If my opponent got a Sleeper Agent... would the opponent never attack ... and never block?  Would the opponent even block if he was forced to?

basically, does the dummy opponent still play to win and just has no playable cards-in-hand, or does he happily accept a loss which makes him quite unlike the opponents our decks will actually be facing (which will often find various ways to be useless but will actually play to win if given the opportunity).
Your deck must beat an opponent whose deck consists of no cards at all. "Do nothing" is rather vague. I'll make it more clear.
If my Revelation was properly changed to Despise, I would have done so much better. .-.

Oh well. There's always next time. 
If my Revelation was properly changed to Despise, I would have done so much better. .-.

Oh well. There's always next time. 

Forgot to change it! I've done so, now.

Everyone, I've altered scroes against deck 6. Check yours to make sure I've done so correctly.  
BAN UPDATE

Helix Pinnacle is being added to the ban list for Round 2. I haven't checked decklists yet, so if you submitted a deck with Helix Pinnacle in it, now's the time to start brainstorming elsewhere.
There were decks that won much later than that the last time.

EDIT: I think that we got way past  turn 100.

EDITED again Buhahahahahahaha.

I look forward to seeing them. The Helix ban very well might prove to be unnecessary. But the deck I had with Helix took over 200 turns to win.
Yep, my turn-204 Helix-Cylix-LavaTubes deck, down the Tubes.

There were decks that won much later than that the last time.

EDIT: I think that we got way past  turn 100.

Last time had the requirement that we had to be able to beat one of StormCrow.dec or GrizzlyBears.dec.  Of course, even Wall of Wood, Helix, and a depletion land could beat GrizzlyBears.dec... in 204 turns.