Rakdos, Lord of Riots 2nd Ever Posting of a Commander (EDH) Deck

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well that's what I came up with. Any suggestions or concerns would be greatly appreciated.  

Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Creatures- 24

Magmatic Force
Platinum Angel
Heartless Hidetsugu (Combos with Wound Reflection, kills everyone at end of turn)
Wurmcoil Engine *(Combos well with Goblin Welder )
Solemn Simulacrum
Blightsteel Colossus
Darksteel Colossus
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Harvester of Souls
Duplicant
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Steel Hellkite
Cryptborn Horror (Perfect card for this deck)
Silent Arbiter
Visara the Dreadful
Mephidross Vampire (Combos well with Triskelion, Infinite creature damage)
Triskelion *SEE ABOVE
Hellkite Charger (Combos well with Sword of Feast and Famine)
Goblin Welder
Anger
Bloodgift Demon
Stuffy Doll

Planeswalkers- 3

Karn Liberated
Liliana Vess
Chandra, the Firebrand

Enchantment- 3

Wound Reflection
Phyrexian Arena
Sneak Attack

Artifact- 12

Sensei's Divining Top
Darksteel Forge
Oblivion Stone
Nevinyrral's Disk
Vedalken Orrery
Swiftfoot Boots
Lightning Greaves
Sword of Feast and Famine
Mimic Vat
Memory Jar
Crucible of Worlds
Skullclamp

Spells- 17

Damnation
Void
Black Sun's Zenith
Terminate
Dreadbore
Vandelblast
Beacon of Unrest
Night's Whisper
Sign in Blood
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Staggershock
Seize the Day
Yawgmoth's Will
All is Dust
Life's Finale
Reiterate

Lands and Mana Sources- 40
Thran Dynamo
Sol Ring
Gilded Lotus
Mana Vault
Mox Diamond
Mox Opal
Rakdos Signet
Command Tower
Badlands
Blood Crypt
Reflecting Pool
Rakdos Guildgate
Rakdos Carnarium
Dragonskull Summit
Tainted Peak
Graven Cairns
Shadowblood Ridge
Strip mine
Wasteland
Tectonic Edge
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Shivan Gorge
Volrath's Stronghold
Maze of Ith
Bloodstained Mire
Marsh Flats
Scalding Tarn
Verdant Catacombs
Temple of the False God
Bojuka Bog
Piranha Marsh
Reliquary Tower
Cabal Coffers
Phyrexian Tower
3 Swamp
3 Mountain

Just a suggestion

but I'd remove the blightsteel colossus

He does more hurt than good if your playgroup has a lot of aquire/bribery
I run a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck which you can check out here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

My advice - you need to run a lot of effects and/or creatures that can get damage through to ensure Rakdos casting.  Pingers, Shadow, Damaging Artifacts and Enchantments help a lot.

I wouldn't count much on two card combos from within your deck unless you can reliably draw them.  In most cases you may get one of the cards and never see the other.

@Twistex - Running Blightsteel is worth the risk, in my opinion.  It, like Darksteel Colossus, is made for this deck.

I like running pingers. And i ran exactly the quoted card - cunning spark mage.

Also if your mata is removal heavy, i suggest you try staggershock. Takes care of a small creature and burn face on turn 4. And you have 4 free mana to cast him. 

Vedalken Orrery is a card I'm still looking for. From what I see, your mata probably play fetch lands as much as you do. Take advantage of that in case your initial damage source wouldn't stick. Cast your general on their turn is awesome.

Also, there's another use for Vedalken Orrery:

I'm not sure how your fellow players react to board wipes. But it'd be cool if you can swing with your team with the Lord of riots. Cast darksteel colossus for free, and with that on the stack, cast apocalypse. And watch your oppoents' faces turn green lol.

Also, I love sire of insanity. Might not for you though if you can't empty your hand quick enough. Which by the looks of it you can't.

Lastly, you should run ramps. Basalt Monolith, Thran Dynamo
Depending on what rules you play, you don't want to be completely screwed when your general is tuck away. I find decks that rely too much on their generals usually fail. But that could be just me. (or my mata is too vicious)

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Just a suggestion

I tend to lean toward this line of thought, but I also didn't bother with the Colossi/Eldrazi because I didn't feel like paying for them. Any any event, if this proves to be an issue, Homeward Path and Brand could help

My advice - you need to run a lot of effects and/or creatures that can get damage through to ensure Rakdos casting.  Pingers, Shadow, Damaging Artifacts and Enchantments help a lot.

Agree completely here. My deck (in my sig, though it hasn't been updated in a while) uses a good number of them as well.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Just a suggestion

No one really plays bribery type spells. So that's why he is in there
I run a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck which you can check out here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I wouldn't count much on two card combos from within your deck unless you can reliably draw them.  In most cases you may get one of the cards and never see the other.

@Twistex - Running Blightsteel is worth the risk, in my opinion.  It, like Darksteel Colossus, is made for this deck.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like running pingers. And i ran exactly the quoted card - cunning spark mage.

Also if your mata is removal heavy, i suggest you try staggershock. Takes care of a small creature and burn face on turn 4. And you have 4 free mana to cast him. 

Vedalken Orrery is a card I'm still looking for. From what I see, your mata probably play fetch lands as much as you do. Take advantage of that in case your initial damage source wouldn't stick. Cast your general on their turn is awesome.

Also, there's another use for Vedalken Orrery:

I'm not sure how your fellow players react to board wipes. But it'd be cool if you can swing with your team with the Lord of riots. Cast darksteel colossus for free, and with that on the stack, cast apocalypse. And watch your oppoents' faces turn green lol.

Also, I love sire of insanity. Might not for you though if you can't empty your hand quick enough. Which by the looks of it you can't.

Lastly, you should run ramps. Basalt Monolith, Thran Dynamo
Depending on what rules you play, you don't want to be completely screwed when your general is tuck away. I find decks that rely too much on their generals usually fail. But that could be just me. (or my mata is too vicious)

Thank you for your ideas.
Pestilence and Pyrohemia seem good. Help cast Rakdos and makes your creatures cost a lot less. Shivan Gorge seems preferable to stensia bloodhall. Bloodhall is just too much mana for its effect. I always recommend Everflowing Chalice when I see Ur-Golem's Eye. Warstorm Surge is great in Rakdos decks. Molten-tail Masticore might be a good replacement for Masticore. Rakdos likes stuff that damages players and Molten-tail is good at that and pretty good at killing creatures also. Grave Consequences is a card that I recently saw and thought wow that might be really cool in a Rakdos EDH deck. Cryptborn Horror likes Rakdos. 

Cards that I don't like much:
Magmatic Force - there are way better creatures for this type of deck. 
Filth - pretty mediocre unless you face a lot of black decks
Crystal Ball - card draw is usually preferable and black has some really good card draw effects
Spine of Ish Sah- 7 mana to exile a permanent is a lot and it's not to easy to get in your graveyard other than Phyrexia's Core.
Simian Spirit Guide- temporary mana isn't great in edh
Lotus Petal (possibly)- same problem as spirit guide. I do like the interaction with salvaging station though
Salvaging Station (possibly) - really cool with lotus petal and lotus bloom, but not sure if that's enough to play it.
Gut Shot - pretty weak effect for EDH

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Pestilence and Pyrohemia seem good. Help cast Rakdos and makes your creatures cost a lot less. Shivan Gorge seems preferable to stensia bloodhall. Bloodhall is just too much mana for its effect. I always recommend Everflowing Chalice when I see Ur-Golem's Eye. Warstorm Surge is great in Rakdos decks. Molten-tail Masticore might be a good replacement for Masticore. Rakdos likes stuff that damages players and Molten-tail is good at that and pretty good at killing creatures also. Grave Consequences is a card that I recently saw and thought wow that might be really cool in a Rakdos EDH deck. Cryptborn Horror likes Rakdos. 

Crystal Ball - card draw is usually preferable and black has some really good card draw effects
Spine of Ish Sah- 7 mana to exile a permanent is a lot and it's not to easy to get in your graveyard other than Phyrexia's Core.
Lotus Petal (possibly)- same problem as spirit guide. I do like the interaction with salvaging station though
Salvaging Station (possibly) - really cool with lotus petal and lotus bloom, but not sure if that's enough to play it.

Thanks for your suggestions

Filth is there to combo with Urborg. XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Filth is there to combo with Urborg. XD

Bingo
I missed that interaction with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth when looking though. Filth seems worth it since it makes your creatures unblockable.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

I missed that interaction with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth when looking though. Filth seems worth it since it makes your creatures unblockable.

All I'm trying to do right now is find cards that could work, then slowly cut it down to 99.
Actually, remember what I said about adding ramps to your deck so you can cast your big stuff without your general?

Add cabal coffers and expedition map to the list.
combo with your urborg as well.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Actually, remember what I said about adding ramps to your deck so you can cast your big stuff without your general?

Add cabal coffers and expedition map to the list.
combo with your urborg as well.

Cool thanks, will do
Edited op

I have to disagree here - Magmatic Force is great with Rakdos, Lord of Riots, and I run it in my build.  It automatically makes your creatures less to cast on your turn when Rakdos is on the field, plus it hits during other upkeeps.  To top it off its a beefy 7/7.  I would keep it.

I have to disagree here - Magmatic Force is great with Rakdos, Lord of Riots, and I run it in my build.  It automatically makes your creatures less to cast on your turn when Rakdos is on the field, plus it hits during other upkeeps.  To top it off its a beefy 7/7.  I would keep it.

Vedalken Orrery and Magmatic Force seem like a cool combo, no?
Play Rakdos, Lord of Riots on your opponents turn? Seems good to me?

Same thought here.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Magmatic Force is actually really good. He's not going anywhere
Bump!!! Any suggestions?
OP updated. We now have a working decklist of 99 cards +1, For General of course. Please take a look at it and give me some suggestions.  
[C]Gratuitous Violence[/c]

[C]Kaervek The Merciless[/c]
Also, Basilisk Collar
Combos with Magmatic force, Heartless hidetsugu, all your trample dudes, Triskelion, and Goblin Sharpshooter
I second Kaervek the Merciless.

Have you playtested the deck at all?  I'm really concerned with the lack of options to deal direct damage to enable Rakdos casting.  I have a ton in my deck and still sometimes have trouble getting him onto the field.
Thanks for the suggestions. I too find there is a lack of "pingers". Which ones do I use?

Thanks for the ideas.
What are some "pingers" I should be using?
BUMP!!!! Anyone suggest what percentage of "pingers" the deck should have? I have 11, and it doesn't feel right.
notice it is not just damage that triggers rakdos, lord of riots'  effect.  It is loss of life and it is as much life lost from all opponents.  This fits perfectly with extort.  Perhaps pontiff of blight? or crypt ghast?  also, lobber crew is generally a useless card, except for your deck.  I would also recommend warstorm surge for sheer silliness.  furnace of rath is also funny.  I also think roiling horror could be nice.
I have crypt ghast in the deck, but I over looked Pontiff of Blight. That's a good idea, thank you. Lobber Crew is a card I'm going to pick up. Warstorm Surge is a good suggestion as well. Furnace of Rath, I'm going to not run. Personally don't like that card, however Roiling Horror is a card I over looked. Do you guys think Mana Web is a good choice?
Any other ideas, or suggestions?
OP updated

Rakdos Ickspitter seems like a pretty comfortable fit here. I would also go with Curse of the Pierced Heart. Havoc Festival would be kind of fun in this deck and basically let you empty your hand of stuff like the Eldrazi for free.  It also lets you get everyone down to a point where you can just bash them with Rakdos a few times and win. I would also just include some basic damage stuff like Bump in the Night so you can cast Rakdos. I know you had gutshot in there but the flashback on Bump will help, I think. I feel like you should worry more bout casting Rakdos and less about his ability. If you want to just play big stuff for cheap, use Kaalia of the Vast with Conspiracy. I mean, Rakdos is a 6/6 flying trampler for 4. That's good enough to win games on his own as long as he sticks around.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Hi guys and gals of the magic community!!! I have been on a slight hiatus from magic, well since before Theros came out. Are there any cards I should look at for this deck?

I think Burnished Hart might be the best card in Theros for this deck. If the list is still up-to-date I would say you still have a lack of enablers for Rakdos. You should probably run the Hondens, Subversion, and possibly some artifact pingers. Scepter of Empires isn't bad here. Talon of Pain might be cute. My favorite though, is Surestrike Trident because it plays so well with Blightsteel.

Then make sure all of your creatures have low colored requirements and awesome effects. Rakdos sorta plays out like animar in that way.

3DH4LIF3

To be honest, this deck is far from finished. Thank you for the suggestions @niheloim. i'll tweek it when I have a better idea what I want to do with it

Purphoros is definitely worth a slot now that its been mentioned. It enables the commander by playing other creatures, and allows costs to cascade lower as you cast more of them. I wouldn't play it over something that deals damage on its own for free (I have a crush on Lobber Crew in my Rakdos deck), but its not something easily discounted.

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments