How would YOU optimize a party for Ranged Basic Attacks?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
In an upcoming campaign, we're talking about what classes we're all going to play.  Here's what we have so far:
-Archer Warlord (me)
-Eagle Shaman 
-Seeker/Ranger (hybrid or multiclass-- not really sure.  Think this will be the first choice for giving out ranged attacks though)
-Ranger
-Crossbow Artificer

I talked to my group a bit, and convinced one player to take a look at Eagle Shaman or Archer Warlord, and that I'd play the other.  The rest of the group was pretty much how it was.  So I'm not sure anything else is going to change or anything, it makes me wonder something.  What would your ideal five person party be, if you want to take full advantage of granting RBA's?
Well, you've got no elementalist in there, and a Spirit Infusion shaman or shaman hybrid is a STRONG go-to.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Spirit infusion shaman?  I'm not familiar with that-- is it better than Eagle Shaman for ranged attacks?
We have no tank or melee characters either.  I'm hoping we can do alright with slows, pushes, and control powers.
For one thing, you don't optimize the party as it is for Ranged Basic Attacks. The Warlord should be painting a target so the multi-attacking Rangers get multiple modifiers from it. If the Shaman is going to grant, it's to the hybrid using his Seeker powers.

Do you want to see an Archer Ranger blow something up? Magic Weapon from the Artificer, Resourceful Warlord next with Paint The Bulls Eye, AP Martial Doom and Adaptive Strategem the the Ranger goes in to gatlin gun mode. The DM's use of solos may drop precipitously.
For one thing, you don't optimize the party as it is for Ranged Basic Attacks. The Warlord should be painting a target so the multi-attacking Rangers get multiple modifiers from it. If the Shaman is going to grant, it's to the hybrid using his Seeker powers.

Do you want to see an Archer Ranger blow something up? Magic Weapon from the Artificer, Resourceful Warlord next with Paint The Bulls Eye, AP Martial Doom and Adaptive Strategem the the Ranger goes in to gatlin gun mode. The DM's use of solos may drop precipitously.

Hah, I like it. :D
Yep, gotta agree. Full on Seeker for lots of RBAs, Warden to keep the ranged party from getting demolished, Warlord to improve the number of RBAs, Ranger...meh I'm open to filling this slot with something else that hits hard like a sorcerer, and then your shaman for healing. I wouldn't be opposed to a debuff/peacekeeping cleric though. They're pretty fun.
4 Shoot to Thrills + Killswitch or something.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Lol, that's one way to put it.
Seekers may have encounter powers that are RBAs, but that doesn't make them a better RBA class. Biting Volley on turn and then a decent RBA offturn and Disrupting Strike >>> Tidal Spirit Shot on turn and Wasp Sting Shot offturn. You'd need over a dozen RBA grants for a seeker to be as useful as a StT ranger in this respect.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

Lol, that's one way to put it.

I did that once with my group for Lair Assault. 

Didn't feel like Lair Assault any more, more like playing RE4 with the Chicago Typewriter...
I would start with an elemental pact warlock and an elenentalist and build from there. Seekers have no role in optimized groups unless your optimizing "weak control" or "sub-standard DPR".