FNM draw etiquette

132 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a match ends in a draw at game 3 turn 5 after time is called.  My opponent looks at his next card and asks "Would you like to concede?  A draw is the same as a loss and I would have won next turn anyway."

Based on the next card he's probably correct.

What's the "proper" response?  Do you be a nice guy and say "OK'?  Do you be a hard-ass and say "No thanks"?
First, a draw is not the same as a loss.

Second, when you realize you can't win, you get into defense mode and try to survive until you get a draw. That's a strategic thing to do (of course, without stalling). That means that telling you "I would have won next turn" is the same as if you'd just won : you still didn't. You have to kill your opponent in the given time to win. He didn't. It's not your place to change that.

Remember that someone else will be lower in the ranks because of this.

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Rancor dies to in-response removal.
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
You can't ban rancor, it just returns to your deck.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
Indeed, both posters down there would be thrilled.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
4. donate them a platinum angel
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
One part of the statement being true=/=the whole statement true.
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
why did Garruk Relentless lose a loyalty counter
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
Dilleux_Lepaire just won the thread.
57461258 wrote:
And, as usual, Dilleux wins the entire thread. Nice work, sir, nice work.
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
Wow, holy doggy poop, kids, obvious statement is obvious.
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
I haven't tried the app. How is its use of English grammar? Cheers!
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Sorin opens You
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
Torpor Orb is absolutely godawful against Vexing Devil.
whoever is playing vexing devil is probably losing anyways
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Albus Dumbledore, The Lord of the Rings.
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
Then we shall play in the shade.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
Now show me on the Garruk doll where Zac Hill ruined your enjoyment of Magic...
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

EDH is the best format anyway

See, it's starting already.

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
Week 1 : Xenograft
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Week 2 : Mindlock Orb
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Week 3 : Bludgeon Brawl
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
Week 4 : Followed Footsteps
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
Week 5 : Delaying Shield
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
Week 6 : Painter's Servant
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
Week 7 : Venser, the Sojourner
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
Week 8 : Personal Sanctuary
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
Week 9 : Sundial of the Infinite
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
Week 10 : Jace's Archivist
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
Week 11 : Search the City
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
Week 12 : Fiend Hunter
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
Week 13 : Clock of Omens
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
Week 14 : Light of Sanction
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
Week 15 : Assemble the Legion
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
Week 16 : High Tide
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
Week 17 : Illusionist's Bracers
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
Week 18 : Savor the Moment
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
Week 19 : Grinning Ignus
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
Week 20 : Transcendence
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
Week 21 : Mortus Strider
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
Week 22 : High Priest of Penance
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
Week 23 : False Cure
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

Week 24 : Akroan Horse

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

Winner : Dknowle's "Indian Giver".

Week 25 : Leylines

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Winner : POSValkir1's "Laying the Battle Lines".

A draw earns you 1 point while a loss earns you 0 (and him 3), so I dont know why he would say that.

If 3 points makes a difference to his standings (and prizes) but 1 point doesnt make a difference to mine, and if he was a nice guy, then I might concede to help him get some prizes. But then, doing that would force someone else out of the prizes, so I suppose it depends on the other person as well. 

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Well, this guy would have known that a loss and a draw are not the same, so he was trying to take advantage of my inexperience and lack of knowledge about tournament structure.  He definitely doesn't need any help in the prizes area, though he may be fighting for PW points or whatever (he competes in larger events like GPs and such).

I'm glad I didn't concede.

So, are tournament structure, W-L-D point awards, and tournament ranking/placing covered in the comprehensive rules, or are they just for gameplay and the tournament stuff covered elsewhere?  Looks like it's time to educate myself on this aspect of the game as well...
so, I dont know why he would say that.

Umm...
I know exactly why he would say that. I got a guy at my FNM who pulls stuff like that all the time.
Good job sticking to your guns zooligan.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.
Once a game has concluded in a draw I would neither conceed nor ask for the concession. That's just poor sportsmanship, IMO.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

so, I dont know why he would say that.

Umm...
I know exactly why he would say that. I got a guy at my FNM who pulls stuff like that all the time.
Good job sticking to your guns zooligan.

Same here... resident Spike is Spikey... he tried this same kinda thing with me before and ended up kinda steamed cuz I knew better than to fall for that crap and he thought I didn't.
I think about it like a sports game without overtime... if we're tied at the end of regulation, niether of us win.

I was playing in an SCG open in DC earlier this year, and I was playing game 3.  He had 73 life, and I had 3 life.  He couldn't kill me by turn 5, and got pretty angry that I didn't concede because it would basically mean he couldn't advance in the tournament to any meaningful finish.  I was actually opening my mouth to say "I'll just give you the win and concede," but before I could do that, he called me an a-hole.  Before that, he was cordial.  Needless to say, we ended in a draw.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Maybe he was talking in terms of PWP rather than tournament points. (In that case he would be right, yes?)

You can read the tournament rules here, OP: www.wizards.com/wpn/Events/Rules.aspx?ca...  

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
That is when you turn it around and say he could concede to you if he feel there is no difference.
The guy is a Level 1 (maybe 2 now) Judge, he knows there's a difference.  

Tells me some things about him tho... 
Once a game has concluded in a draw I would neither conceed nor ask for the concession. That's just poor sportsmanship, IMO.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Let's say at FNM if you draw, both players won't make the cut to top 8. Instead of both of you not being able to make it one should concede to the other. It's the same if you're trying to make the cut of a GP. Instead of both of you being 6-2-1 one person should concede to make it to day two. 
Not asking for a concession in some cases is just plain wrong.  If you are at an FNM that pays out by points (2-1 or better record) and you are currently 1-1-0 and your opponent is 0-2 and you got an unlucky pair down then you should absolutely ask for the concession and explain that his win will earn him nothing and your loss will put you out of the prizes.  Hell, I would ask for a concession before I even played and I would expect my opponent to give it to me.  If he didn't, I'd be pretty pissed.

And I agree with Shadowchu that at 6-2 in a GP a draw is just going to knock 2 people out of Day 2 and someone should break first.  Even in turns the eventual winner is usually pretty clear unless something drastic might happen most board states can be read to a conclusion especially if each player flips a few cards and just applies some logic to the decision of who goes on and who concedes. The only problem here is that you always get the "nice guy" who probably was going to win but his opponent is being a bit of a dink and refuses so the nice guy concedes and the villain wins.

TL:DR I will always concede or ask for a concession when the situation clearly favors 1 person for a benefit and the other person is likely to get nothing regardless of the outcome of a match. 
I now know that the situation was a little different than what Shadowchu describes.  

Dude wasn't like, "I'll get bumped out of the multi-pack prize level into the pity-pack prize level" (not that he cares about packs anyway).  He straight up told me there was no difference between a draw and a loss trying to con me into conceding.
Could be worse.  I had a guy try to get me to concede in a match so he could guarantee top 8.   Since the two players above us had to play unless I won and if I won after their match finished I could also make top 8, I said no.  That said, I'm not a slowplaying type of player so our match finished relatively quickly in two games.  With lethal damage coming at him, he tried to bribe me to just concede.  That pissed me off badly and I flat out told him no and that if he said one more thing, I would report him to the TO.  Of course, as soon as I reported in, the other two immediately drew.  What made me really suspicious of the guy I played was when I checked PWP in our area later that night and he had one of the top 3 totals.  Makes me wonder if he's pulled this crap before.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Could be worse.  I had a guy try to get me to concede in a match so he could guarantee top 8.   Since the two players above us had to play unless I won and if I won after their match finished I could also make top 8, I said no.  That said, I'm not a slowplaying type of player so our match finished relatively quickly in two games.  With lethal damage coming at him, he tried to bribe me to just concede.  That pissed me off badly and I flat out told him no and that if he said one more thing, I would report him to the TO.  Of course, as soon as I reported in, the other two immediately drew.  What made me really suspicious of the guy I played was when I checked PWP in our area later that night and he had one of the top 3 totals.  Makes me wonder if he's pulled this crap before.

Emphasis mine: Always report a bribery attempt to the TO or judge.  It is a huge violation of the rules, it will result in a DQ and will start a paper trail for the DCI.  Asking for a concession or asking for a prize split are allowed but you cannot offer anything in exchange for a concession or ask for something.
I think you guys are reading way too much into the "no difference between a draw and a loss" statement.  While not technically true (the 1 pt vs. 0 pt), it is true in the reality of standings.  From the perspective of someone who would have lost if not for being in turns, a draw and a loss are the exact same in that the ending result is the same.  They both knock you out of contention for a cut to Top X, make you miss out on prizes the same, etc.  It's a well known fact of the tournament structure that any unintentional draw is the same as a loss.

I wholeheartedly think you should have conceded, assuming there was something actually on the line.  I'll use my store's FNM structure as an example (4 rds, 4-0 gets 12 packs, 3-0-1 gets 9, 3-1 gets 6).  If you're both 2-1, drawing gets you both nothing.  Since you would have clearly lost had the game not gone to time, you should concede graciously.  If you're both 3-0, then you should feel free not to concede, though it would be a very good gesture and would probably win you a friend.

So basically, if it's a win-and-in, lose-and-out situation, you should concede.  If not, do whatever you think is right.

That said, all bets are off if the guy was an ass to you, played very slowly or is known to not return that kind of favor.   
Even in the situations described above, no one is ever entitled to have their opponent concede.  If you're going to be an impolite jerk, I will stay in just to spite you, because you deserve it.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Not asking for a concession in some cases is just plain wrong.  If you are at an FNM that pays out by points (2-1 or better record) and you are currently 1-1-0 and your opponent is 0-2 and you got an unlucky pair down then you should absolutely ask for the concession and explain that his win will earn him nothing and your loss will put you out of the prizes.  Hell, I would ask for a concession before I even played and I would expect my opponent to give it to me.  If he didn't, I'd be pretty pissed. 

If you do that though and get prizes you didnt actually deserve based on record, wouldnt you be "cheating" the TO/Store out of packs that they shouldnt have to give away? Im all for helping out your fellow player etc, but unless the packs are being provided free from Wizards and have to be returned if they arent given out, then arent you screwing your local store?

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
I think you guys are reading way too much into the "no difference between a draw and a loss" statement.  While not technically true (the 1 pt vs. 0 pt), it is true in the reality of standings.  From the perspective of someone who would have lost if not for being in turns, a draw and a loss are the exact same in that the ending result is the same.  They both knock you out of contention for a cut to Top X, make you miss out on prizes the same, etc.  It's a well known fact of the tournament structure that any unintentional draw is the same as a loss.

I wholeheartedly think you should have conceded, assuming there was something actually on the line.  I'll use my store's FNM structure as an example (4 rds, 4-0 gets 12 packs, 3-0-1 gets 9, 3-1 gets 6).  If you're both 2-1, drawing gets you both nothing.  Since you would have clearly lost had the game not gone to time, you should concede graciously.  If you're both 3-0, then you should feel free not to concede, though it would be a very good gesture and would probably win you a friend.

So basically, if it's a win-and-in, lose-and-out situation, you should concede.  If not, do whatever you think is right.

That said, all bets are off if the guy was an ass to you, played very slowly or is known to not return that kind of favor.   

The person in the thread has said that the person was not getting anything outside of another win.  So don't try to put more into it.

I've had someone at game day as we were coming to a draw the same stuff.  I might have even had a better chance of winning than them at the time too.  They told me we would both be out if we tied.  So I decided to buy into it and be the nice person and concede.  Guess what player made top 3 because of that?  Also guess what player fell out of prizes due to tie breakers?  If we had tied I was certainly in and we were both probably in on prizes.

I have also had players stall and play slow to get draws.  While I am usually a pretty quick player.

There has only been one person who conceded so I can make prizes.  That is the one player I would concede to in the future.  Anybody else can feel free to concede to me if it boils down to both of us are out or one of us is in.

And I agree with Shadowchu that at 6-2 in a GP a draw is just going to knock 2 people out of Day 2 and someone should break first.  Even in turns the eventual winner is usually pretty clear unless something drastic might happen most board states can be read to a conclusion especially if each player flips a few cards and just applies some logic to the decision of who goes on and who concedes. The only problem here is that you always get the "nice guy" who probably was going to win but his opponent is being a bit of a dink and refuses so the nice guy concedes and the villain wins.

TL:DR I will always concede or ask for a concession when the situation clearly favors 1 person for a benefit and the other person is likely to get nothing regardless of the outcome of a match. 

I totally disagree, If I forfeit to you than I'm knocking someone else out of the prizes that got all of his points through winning.

If you can't beat me then you don't get prizes, I've never once asked for a concession at FNM...
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
The person in the thread has said that the person was not getting anything outside of another win.  So don't try to put more into it.

Even then, if they make it clear that they're trying to get points for something (like GP byes), I would concede instantly.  There is nothing on the line, so what does it matter? 

I've had someone at game day as we were coming to a draw the same stuff.  I might have even had a better chance of winning than them at the time too.  They told me we would both be out if we tied.  So I decided to buy into it and be the nice person and concede.  Guess what player made top 3 because of that?  Also guess what player fell out of prizes due to tie breakers?  If we had tied I was certainly in and we were both probably in on prizes.

Then this is entirely your fault.  You were not aware of the standings and didn't do the tiebreaker math.  Had you done so, you would have known that you both were in the prizes on breakers, and that you would be out of the prizes on breakers with a loss.  It's not the opponent's fault that you failed to do your own work and missed out.  You could have easily known the breakers and said "no thanks, I'm out of the prizes with a loss and in them with a draw." 

I totally disagree, If I forfeit to you than I'm knocking someone else out of the prizes that got all of his points through winning.

If you can't beat me then you don't get prizes, I've never once asked for a concession at FNM...

I've very rarely played at an FNM that uses standings instead of match points to determine prizes.  Only 1 store out of about a half dozen has used standings and they were the least experienced event group.  If you get nothing by winning and I miss out on prizes by losing then you are probably a dirtbag by not conceding.  I certainly don't recommend using standings to determine prize payout because if you have too few rounds for a # of players you get people dealing with a 3-0 and second place because of crappy tie breakers and that just makes people feel bad.  

If you are knocking me out of Top 8 to save some faceless guy you probably don't even know in a large event and secure yourself nothing then you are definitely a dirtbag.

Even in the situations described above, no one is ever entitled to have their opponent concede.  If you're going to be an impolite jerk, I will stay in just to spite you, because you deserve it.

I would say your situation is different because you opponent was not very nice. 

I've very rarely played at an FNM that uses standings instead of match points to determine prizes.  Only 1 store out of about a half dozen has used standings and they were the least experienced event group.  If you get nothing by winning and I miss out on prizes by losing then you are probably a dirtbag by not conceding.  I certainly don't recommend using standings to determine prize payout because if you have too few rounds for a # of players you get people dealing with a 3-0 and second place because of crappy tie breakers and that just makes people feel bad.  

If you are knocking me out of Top 8 to save some faceless guy you probably don't even know in a large event and secure yourself nothing then you are definitely a dirtbag.

I come to play, you need to beat me fair and square, and yes that faceless guy sometimes happens to be a new comer with his first strong score getting knoced out. I think it makes you an incredible douchbag to try and demand resignations from your opponent. If you can't win 2 of 3 then you don't deserve prizes, only your type would actually be lame enough to ask for a forfeit.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

I come to play, you need to beat me fair and square, and yes that faceless guy sometimes happens to be a new comer with his first strong score getting knoced out. I think it makes you an incredible douchbag to try and demand resignations from your opponent. If you can't win 2 of 3 then you don't deserve prizes, only your type would actually be lame enough to ask for a forfeit.

UA, End Boss of FNM
Then this is entirely your fault.  You were not aware of the standings and didn't do the tiebreaker math.  Had you done so, you would have known that you both were in the prizes on breakers, and that you would be out of the prizes on breakers with a loss.  It's not the opponent's fault that you failed to do your own work and missed out.  You could have easily known the breakers and said "no thanks, I'm out of the prizes with a loss and in them with a draw." 

I suppose you are right.  I am the bad guy in this situation.  What was I thinking trusting a store employee who was helping run the event, and who I had played with for years?  Especially when it was only my second such event.  Perhaps I should have re-asked for the results of everyone who has turned in their rounds and their standings because it might have been told different the second time?
Seriously, FNMs are supposed to be about community building and getting people together.  The feel bad of 2 people losing out on prizes when 1 could have easily won in is a pretty crappy way to get people back to a store.  I have been in both positions and I have never denied a request for a concession and have only ever once been denied a request.

Emphasis mine: Always report a bribery attempt to the TO or judge.  It is a huge violation of the rules, it will result in a DQ and will start a paper trail for the DCI.  Asking for a concession or asking for a prize split are allowed but you cannot offer anything in exchange for a concession or ask for something.

I know that and my only excuse (and that's all it was) was that it had been a long day and I just did not feel like dealing with it unless he pushed.  I wish I had, honestly, because he was a little prick, but I also have the personality of trying to give people the benefit of the doubt too.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Seriously, FNMs are supposed to be about community building and getting people together.  The feel bad of 2 people losing out on prizes when 1 could have easily won in is a pretty crappy way to get people back to a store.  I have been in both positions and I have never denied a request for a concession and have only ever once been denied a request.

Conceeding after a tie seems like a bad preceedent to set regardless of how the prize structure is set up (this is the first I've heard about stores giving prize packs based on record and not standings). I don't think this practice should even be allowed. 
Don't be too smart to have fun
What is the bad precedent that is set?  Concessions should definitely be allowed because they are the only way to resolve certain prize payout disputes (PTQ invites, GP byes from GPTs) and the only time a concession shouldn't be allowed is if a match slip is signed and submitted.  What is the negative impact of allowing a concession after a Draw result?
What is the bad precedent that is set?  Concessions should definitely be allowed because they are the only way to resolve certain prize payout disputes (PTQ invites, GP byes from GPTs) and the only time a concession shouldn't be allowed is if a match slip is signed and submitted.  What is the negative impact of allowing a concession after a Draw result?

It seems unsporting. Imagine if they allowed this in the world cup.... it would just leave a really bad taste all around. 
Technically, there is no result until the match slip is signed or the result is otherwise reported.  Even if the game was technically over (i.e. both players pass through the end step on turn 5), the result is not final.  Therefore, any concessions that may happen after that point hasn't happened after a draw.  The draw hasn't happened yet, as the match slip hasn't been signed or the result reported.

There is nothing unsporting about it.  Also, comparing it to soccer is a very poor comparison.  Soccer never has a team "concede" a match or both teams actually agree to a draw before the match starts (or in the middle for that matter).  There really is no comparison in sports to this kind of activity. 

It seems unsporting. Imagine if they allowed this in the world cup.... it would just leave a really bad taste all around. 

Concessions are a big part of Magic tournaments, people concede to friends in large events all the time.  I have known people to go to a tournament for fun and concede to a friend who needed to win it (People with GP byes playing in a GPT) for the same benefit.  Using a major sporting tournament in a sport which concession is not a norm is a poor example of concessions in a game where it is commonplace.  Hell, if my friend and I were paired against each other in the top 8 of a sub-1200 person GP and I was Q'ed for the PT and my friend wasn't, I would scoop him in for the PT invite.
Technically, there is no result until the match slip is signed or the result is otherwise reported.  Even if the game was technically over (i.e. both players pass through the end step on turn 5), the result is not final.  Therefore, any concessions that may happen after that point hasn't happened after a draw.  The draw hasn't happened yet, as the match slip hasn't been signed or the result reported.

There is nothing unsporting about it.  Also, comparing it to soccer is a very poor comparison.  Soccer never has a team "concede" a match or both teams actually agree to a draw before the match starts (or in the middle for that matter).  There really is no comparison in sports to this kind of activity. 

The San Antonio Spurs (NBA team) got penalized for resting their players in a meaningless game even though they almost won the game. The teams aren't allowed to conceed. I understand that Magic is different and they've made allowances for people who run out of time and have to drop from a tournament or whatever but it goes against my competitive spirit to see these types of concessions. I can almost be ok with concessions before the game starts. If you've earned your way into the top 8 along with the other player and the two players decide to draw it out that seems ok to me because they played competitively to put themselves in that position. Once the game starts and each player has decided they have something to play for it's a little bit different. Player A convinces Player B to conceed to get a few more planeswalker points....... it just seems wrong. 

Concessions are a big part of Magic tournaments, people concede to friends in large events all the time.  I have known people to go to a tournament for fun and concede to a friend who needed to win it (People with GP byes playing in a GPT) for the same benefit.  Using a major sporting tournament in a sport which concession is not a norm is a poor example of concessions in a game where it is commonplace.  Hell, if my friend and I were paired against each other in the top 8 of a sub-1200 person GP and I was Q'ed for the PT and my friend wasn't, I would scoop him in for the PT invite.

Yeah, let me join this event just to give my buddy a win should we face each other.... You don't see the problem with this as a competitor? Although there is no real way to oversee and penalize this type of action I'm sure that no one who is interested in setting up a fair competition was ok with this practice. 
I don't see a problem.  I am not a seriously competitive player, I will more often than not let my opponent have his missed trigger unless playing on the bubble, and because of that I am much more willing to be lenient towards my more competitive friends.  And like I said, I would absolutely concede if my friend had something to gain and I didn't.  If I was in a GPT and only playing for PWP or prizes outside of byes I would never scumbag a friend by crushing him in a game and thereby crushing his chances at byes that I already had.  If I was Q'ed for a PT and was about to Top 4 a GP while playing against a friend or someone I know, (and like) I would probably give up the cash and chance to win the GP so that my friend can have a free trip to Ireland or wherever and I might lose out on a potential $1500 or a definite $500 of prize money because by scooping I will enable a friend to have something he wants that I don't need (a PT invite).  I would probably insist that afterwards he buy me dinner, and he damn well make it good, but if the situation ever came up I would trust my friends to do the same.  It builds a better community to have people like that, even if it runs contrary to competitive spirit.

This game is about community for me more than it is about competition, it is probably why I make a better judge than player. 
I don't see a problem.  I am not a seriously competitive player, I will more often than not let my opponent have his missed trigger unless playing on the bubble, and because of that I am much more willing to be lenient towards my more competitive friends.  And like I said, I would absolutely concede if my friend had something to gain and I didn't.  If I was in a GPT and only playing for PWP or prizes outside of byes I would never scumbag a friend by crushing him in a game and thereby crushing his chances at byes that I already had.  If I was Q'ed for a PT and was about to Top 4 a GP while playing against a friend or someone I know, (and like) I would probably give up the cash and chance to win the GP so that my friend can have a free trip to Ireland or wherever and I might lose out on a potential $1500 or a definite $500 of prize money because by scooping I will enable a friend to have something he wants that I don't need (a PT invite).  I would probably insist that afterwards he buy me dinner, and he damn well make it good, but if the situation ever came up I would trust my friends to do the same.  It builds a better community to have people like that, even if it runs contrary to competitive spirit.

This game is about community for me more than it is about competition, it is probably why I make a better judge than player. 

Isn't there a rule against buying a higher finish. This is so borderline on that rule and another reason why I think they should just disallow the practice. How do we know if two friends made an agreement that one friend will pay the other half his/her winnings? However, if player A offers player B $20 to conceed all of a sudden it's breaking the rules. 
I disagree wholeheartedly. Let's say at FNM if you draw, both players won't make the cut to top 8. Instead of both of you not being able to make it one should concede to the other. It's the same if you're trying to make the cut of a GP. Instead of both of you being 6-2-1 one person should concede to make it to day two. 

"should"

"expect"

"should"

These statements all feel really entitled to me (especially the second).  Your opponent is your challenge.  There's no reason to expect your opponent to give up, nor hold animosity towards them for not doing so.  It really reflects poorly on you as a competitor if you believe that people "should" be conceding in any situation.  Personally, I will agree to concede only up front (and have before) -- not after a match has already started.  I think it shows a lack of respect if someone tries to intimidate/embarrass their opponent into conceding after agreeing (explicitly or implicitly) to play things out.  It's even worse in the OPs situation, given that (with only their side of the story) the opponent seemed to be trying to deceptively persuade the OP into conceding.

In all cases, though, your opponent is never socially obligated to help you get prizes.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

Isn't there a rule against buying a higher finish. This is so borderline on that rule and another reason why I think they should just disallow the practice. How do we know if two friends made an agreement that one friend will pay the other half his/her winnings? However, if player A offers player B $20 to conceed all of a sudden it's breaking the rules.

That's not buying a higher finish; that's just kind of oweing the guy one.  If someone scooped to me and got me a PT invite, I'd feel like I owe them one just on principle and I'd gladly buy them dinner or something.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

"should"

"expect"

"should"

These statements all feel really entitled to me (especially the second).  Your opponent is your challenge.  There's no reason to expect your opponent to give up, nor hold animosity towards them for not doing so.  It really reflects poorly on you as a competitor if you believe that people "should" be conceding in any situation.  Personally, I will agree to concede only up front (and have before) -- not after a match has already started.  I think it shows a lack of respect if someone tries to intimidate/embarrass their opponent into conceding after agreeing (explicitly or implicitly) to play things out.  It's even worse in the OPs situation, given that (with only their side of the story) the opponent seemed to be trying to deceptively persuade the OP into conceding.

In all cases, though, your opponent is never socially obligated to help you get prizes.

If you knew how to read, I said one person should concede. If my opponent refused, I would concede to them. 

It reflects poorly on you that you are unable to comprehend properly.