Attacking a planeswalker rule

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Planeswalkers can be attacked. When you declare attacking creatures, you choose whether each one is attacking your opponent or a planeswalker that opponent controls. Your opponent can block as normal, regardless of what each creature is attacking. If a creature deals combat damage to a planeswalker, that many loyalty counters are removed from it.

Friends and I are having a debate about whether this means you can choose to devide your attacks between planeswalkers and players, or if every single attacking creature must attack either the planeswalker OR the player.

Whatever it is, can you link your answer to a written example in the rules?

Thanks. 
508.1a The active player chooses which creatures that he or she controls, if any, will attack...
508.1b (...) the active player announces which player or planeswalker each of the chosen creatures is attacking.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

To them, it still sounds like you can devide the attacking creatures. Is that so?
How do they come up with that idea?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

*shrug* But it's 4 against 1. I'm the 1.
Note that the rule chaikov quoted says "each", not "all". If you had to choose "which player or planeswalker all of the chosen creatures are attacking", they would all be attacking the same thing. But instead you make individual choices for each of the creatures.

Maybe i can find some youtube videos of tournaments in which players split their attacks...

EDIT: found an example. At 33:15 of this video, Eric Froehlich attacks with two creatures. The wolf token attacks liliana, and Flinthoof boar attacks owen turtenwald.
ok cool, thank you. I was wrong then. I could have sworn at my tournaments I couldn't devide my attacks.
You may attack the player with some creatures, and attack a planeswalker with some others.

What does devide mean?

What does devide mean?

It's a verb that means, "to remove vides."  Compare it to debone.

Rules Advisor

Friends and I are having a debate about whether this means you can choose to devide your attacks between planeswalkers and players, or if every single attacking creature must attack either the planeswalker OR the player.

I'll assume you tried to say divide... (both times... )
It could still mean three things:
1) some creatures attack the player while some others attack the PW (this is correct)
2) all creatures attack the player OR all creatures attack the PW, but not both (this is untrue: both can be attacked)
3) creatures attack. when damage assignment comes, damage can be divided freely between player and PW (this is not correct)

So, what was the actual debate among your group?

The debate was whether all attacking creatures need to attack the same thing.
What Cyphern said. Thanks for all the answers guys.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">When you declare attacking creatures, you choose whether each one is attacking your opponent or a planeswalker that opponent controls.

I'm sorry, OP, but you've answered your own question there. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments