7/4/2013 Sealed Deck Exercise

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I went with a midrange Naya build. Its got a decent curve and at most points on the curve your creatures are superior to average plus you get some removal. You are probably going to outclass / stabilise vs aggro and if the game goes long you are looking to close out the final points with gruul charm or chorus of might. 

This Deck was built in 0:09:57

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
4 Mountain
5 Plains
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Selesnya Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Wolf-Rider
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Daring Skyjek
1 Experiment One
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Kraul Warrior
1 Maze Sentinel
1 Phantom General
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Scab-Clan Giant
1 Sunspire Gatekeepers
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Stonefare Crocodile
1 Wojek Halberdiers

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Gruul Charm
1 Madcap Skills
1 Punish the Enemy
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Street Spasm
1 Alive // Well

Naya seemed to be the way to go, although the rares in the pool were powerful, they just seemed to be too slow, and there wasn't much else in black to supplement the rest of the curve. RGW had a lot going on in the low end of the curve, and some decent end game options. Overloaded Street Spasm, or Grull Charm to get your guys through.

This Deck was built in 0:13:40

17 Lands
---------------
1 Forest
7 Mountain
3 Plains
1 Azorius Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Selesnya Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Wolf-Rider
1 Blaze Commando
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Daring Skyjek
1 Experiment One
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Kraul Warrior
1 Rakdos Shred-Freak
1 Riot Piker
1 Scab-Clan Giant
1 Seller of Songbirds
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Sunspire Gatekeepers
1 Wojek Halberdiers

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
1 Gruul Charm
1 Madcap Skills
1 Morgue Burst
1 Profit
1 Punish the Enemy
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Street Spasm

This Deck was built in 0:20:31

17 Lands
---------------
4 Island
5 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Bane Alley Blackguard
1 Daring Skyjek
1 Deathcult Rogue
1 Doorkeeper
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Horror of the Dim
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Lord of the Void
1 Maw of the Obzedat
1 Metropolis Sprite
1 New Prahv Guildmage
1 Seller of Songbirds
2 Syndicate Enforcer

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Azorius Cluestone
1 Dispel
1 Mindstatic
1 Pilfered Plans
1 Profit
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Scatter Arc
1 Warped Physique

I had to go B/W mainly for it's fair amount of creature cards but I still found it lacking so I added blue.  Black had some pretty heavy hitters but unfortunately not enough kill or removal which why left out the Grave Betrayal  Again, I hate playing 3 colors but 2 in any combo just seemed too week.  With a heavy casting cost that includes 3 black Lord of the Void seemed bad for a 3 color deck, but for all the exiling and stealing it does I thought it was worth playing anyway.  Plus, I figured by the time I get 7 mana out, at least 3 are likely to provide black.  Was a tough decision to pick what to include and not to include, but since black was lacking it's normal kill, I went some blue counter.  As always, your input would be appreciated.

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

I noticed [card]Profit\\Loss[card/] Shows up only as Profit and is in German(?) when highlighted on these boards.

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

The pool is weak, and you can't get anything stable. So I tink the best way to go is card quality while using every bomb you can. The pool should be able to stall long enough to win with them.

Blue was horrible, and there isn't much to extort so the enforcers weren't worth it. manabase was tough to balance though.

Oh, who am I kidding? There's never any discussion here.

This Deck was built in 0:13:30

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
3 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Selesnya Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Wolf-Rider
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Experiment One
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Kraul Warrior
1 Lord of the Void
1 Scab-Clan Giant
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Sunspire Gatekeepers

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Electrickery
1 Forced Adaptation
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Gruul Charm
1 Lyev Decree
1 Profit
1 Punish the Enemy
1 Riot Control
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Selesnya Cluestone
1 Street Spasm
1 Verdant Haven
1 Well

This Deck was built in 0:17:16

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Plains
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Selesnya Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Wolf-Rider
1 Blaze Commando
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Daring Skyjek
1 Experiment One
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Kraul Warrior
1 Maze Rusher
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Scab-Clan Giant
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Stonefare Crocodile
1 Viashino Racketeer
1 Wojek Halberdiers

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Gruul Charm
1 Madcap Skills
1 Punish the Enemy
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Selesnya Cluestone
1 Street Spasm
1 Verdant Haven
1 Alive // Well

Definitely a build I'm not quite happy with.  I don't like going heavy three color, even with 3 gates and a stone.  At least the Reckoner is the only card that need two of any color I have. 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
The pool is weak, and you can't get anything stable. So I tink the best way to go is card quality while using every bomb you can. The pool should be able to stall long enough to win with them.

Blue was horrible, and there isn't much to extort so the enforcers weren't worth it. manabase was tough to balance though.

Oh, who am I kidding? There's never any discussion here.

This Deck was built in 0:13:30

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
3 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Selesnya Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Armored Wolf-Rider
1 Dutiful Thrull
1 Experiment One
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Kraul Warrior
1 Lord of the Void
1 Scab-Clan Giant
1 Skarrg Guildmage
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Sunspire Gatekeepers

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Electrickery
1 Forced Adaptation
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Gruul Charm
1 Lyev Decree
1 Profit
1 Punish the Enemy
1 Riot Control
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Selesnya Cluestone
1 Street Spasm
1 Verdant Haven
1 Well

Even if there isn't any discussion, I do still enjoy reading other people's decklists and their reasonings.  Especially from someone like you who has some experience building limited decks.

I ended up Jund.  I felt that B/G was the core way to go for the creature base and the quality of spells.  Then it was up to whether I splash White or Red.  Since red offered the removal and the tasty tasty gruul cards I took red.  I did consider naya, which would have allowed me access to Reckoner, but I just wasn't as comfortable with the core.  I'd much rather have two core colors and a splash than three core colors (which is what I felt Naya would give me) in order to alleviate as many color issues as possible.

In the end I suppose I "technically" splash white, but it's only off of one guild gate and it's only for the second half of Profit // Loss, which I'm perfectly fine with just playing the black half.  It's more just there because it doesn't really hurt.

10 black sources, 9 green, 5 red, 1 white.  My core should be adequately covered and my splash is heavy enough that I should generally be able to find a single red source each game. 

This Deck was built in 0:19:22

18 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
2 Mountain
7 Swamp
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage If the games go as long as I hope they do this will be a nice closer
1 Selesnya Guildgate

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Bane Alley Blackguard solid early defense
1 Dead Reveler not as useful as in an aggressive deck, but still quite decent
1 Deathcult Rogue evasive
1 Drainpipe Vermin 1-drop that might hit a card in hand
1 Experiment One should usually be a 2/2 or better
1 Greenside Watcher plenty of gates to untap, and he's a 2 drop
1 Kraul Warrior good value bear
1 Lord of the Void oh heavens...7/7 flier.
1 Maze Abomination such a solid card on both defense and offense
1 Rubbleback Rhino 4 toughness and hexproof make this difficult to get through
1 Scab-Clan Giant gruul smash!
1 Skarrg Guildmage what a house
1 Stonefare Crocodile tick, tick, tick, tick

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Forced Adaptation Up we go!
1 Grave Betrayal Bomb
1 Gruul Charm Finisher/removal
1 Madcap Skills good singleton
1 Morgue Burst removal/recursion
1 Profit // Loss such a nasty combat trick
1 Punish the Enemy removal
1 Street Spasm removal
1 Verdant Haven color fixins

The card pool was weak, but I think I did alright for myself here.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I passed on the stronger Naya build to go with Bant tokens/ flyers, but that's only because I like that sort of deck. I agree the better pool is Naya.

This Deck was built in 0:08:15

Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 6 Forest 1 Island 6 Plains 1 Azorius Guildgate 2 Golgari Guildgate 1 Selesnya Guildgate

16 Creatures --------------- 1 Armored Wolf-Rider 1 Boros Reckoner 1 Daring Skyjek 2 Drakewing Krasis 1 Dutiful Thrull 1 Experiment One 1 Greenside Watcher 1 Hussar Patrol 1 Isperia's Skywatch 1 Kraul Warrior 1 New Prahv Guildmage 1 Phantom General 1 Seller of Songbirds 1 Stonefare Crocodile 1 Sunspire Gatekeepers

7 Other Spells --------------- 1 Azorius Cluestone 1 Call 1 Chorus of Might 1 Profit 1 Rootborn Defenses 1 Selesnya Charm 1 Well

Sign In to post comments