Bicycle mounts and other silly ideas.

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I'm running a rather light hearted campaign, which everyone in the group is some sort of fey creature, and they have formed an adventuring group for fun and profit.  Most of the group is a homebrew race, fey corgi.  There is one dwarf, who is the straight man of all the gags.

Anyway, they are low level, currently level 2, and I want to provide some fun treasure that might not be magical (or is magical but not normally awesome).  I have a couple ideas, and I'd like some input or brainstorming.

One idea is for the group to find a bicycle, or several bicycles.  I'm thinking they would require a successful acrobatics or athletics check to learn how to ride (DC 20?) but once you succeed, you no longer have to make the check again.  I'm thinking of making them speed 18, but a full round action to use (slightly faster than a double move run).  Or maybe a minor action to mount, and as a move action, you can move 9?

Another idea I was thinking of was a Tiny club of healing.  On a basic attack, deals 1d3 damage, but heals 1d6.  It would be amusing immediately after combat.

Do you have any "Fun" items you like to include in your lighthearted campaigns? 
Assuming that you are going to let the players try several times to learn to ride, I don't really see any benefit to having the roll to learn. On a failure, I wouldn't expect anything more than them crashing to the ground, which might be interesting enough as a check only if they still learn how. I personally would have no problem with the check if it represented scraping myself up against the gravel while learning, rather than just not being able to (though that may work for some characters), or having to repeatedly roll.

As for the club of healing, if you are interested in having semi-risky combat in addition to the comedy, I would take a good look at that club; if someone gets down to negatives (but still 4+ damage from dieing), you can guaranteed get them back up to 1d6 hp by smacking them with the club. It would also guarantee that your players would enter every battle with max HP.

That said, those may not be too big of concerns for you. My personal favorite lighthearted item was when my DM gave the group of level 11s (specifically, me) the level 7 bag of tricks. Obviously, a level 7 minion as a daily power is practically worthless at level 11, and I talked with my DM about it for a minute. We ended up coming up with the idea that my character would pull the various animals from the bag as an at-will, but they were harmless critters. In the next cinematic battle, my character threw a cat in the face of an enemy to distract them and wrapped a snake around a foe's mace to yank it out of their grasp.
Maybe for the bike, it increases the rider's speed by 2. When bloodied, that bonus goes away - chain came off, tire popped, banana seat went flying. No checks for learning how to ride it... just narrate that scene. I'm sure the players will have good ideas to make the scene funny without any rolls. If the players try to do some cool tricks on their bike to gain an advantage, that's when the checks come out, provided it's not a mundane situation and there's a chance of interesting failure.

Consider letting them get upgrades - a baseball card for the spokes that debuffs attack rolls for beasts because of the annoying sound, streamers on the handlebars that can predict the weather, or pegs on the back to allow them to carry their friends to the convenience store. 

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

That all sounds fine. Second that the roll should not be to see if they learn, but to see if they crash while learning.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Hah, I like that.   I was thinking about having them find a bag of everlasting southern comfort food.  Reach in, find a bucket of fried chicken.  Next time?  Fried okra.  Cornbread.  Sweet tea. Etc.

I would let the players try as many times as they like.  On a failure, depending on how big a failure, might take as much as 1d4 damage.   If they keep failing over a few times, I might make them pass a very trivial will save to not be afraid of it.
The would, of course, be able to try again if they failed the trivial will save.  They would just have to try again later.
I'm confused about what edition you're playing. You're using terminology distinctive to both.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

4th edition.

Was it about the will save?  The will save would be a fear attack the bicycle does against them, versus their will defense.  Probably a d20 + 0 versus will.  Much like if it were an extremely low level trap that does no damage.  Basically a way of saying "yeah.. you might not want to try that again just yet" if the continue to fail horribly.
That could be interesting. Until you clarified, however, I thought your group had had the same idea mine had to have the opponents always "take ten" for attacks and have the the players roll their defenses (subtract 10 from their score, that's their modifier). It never caught on with the group, but we tried it for a bit.

I really wouldn't make them roll more than once or twice for learning to ride, before you do the fear check. Too much and it becomes tedious without having some interesting type of failure.

Another idea you could implement is a pogo stick that gives a bonus to jumping.
Hah, I like that.   I was thinking about having them find a bag of everlasting southern comfort food.  Reach in, find a bucket of fried chicken.  Next time?  Fried okra.  Cornbread.  Sweet tea. Etc.

I would let the players try as many times as they like.  On a failure, depending on how big a failure, might take as much as 1d4 damage.   If they keep failing over a few times, I might make them pass a very trivial will save to not be afraid of it.

If you are going to let them try as many times as they like, or basically giving them a garunteed success eventually anyway, why slow it down with multiple rolls, or even roll at all?  It's a point I actually agree with several of the posters around here on and has improved the quality of my games.  If there is no interesting failure, why roll?  You fail to learn to ride the bike is not an interesting failure.  You fall off the bike and take some damage, but in the process learned how to ride it properly is an interesting failure.

Not doing it that way, you have the potential for a player to end up rolling 10, 20..30...100 times.  Granted, not likely to fail that many times in a row, but it is a possibility.  Just rolling, 5-10 times, for the same check, until you succeed, gets boring, at least IMO.  If your players like sitting there rolling for the same thing over and over, go for it though.

Another idea you could implement is a pogo stick that gives a bonus to jumping.

I like that.  Yeah, I figure its a DC 20 challenge, though maybe I should lower it to DC 15.  If they get lower than 10, they fall and take damage.  If they fail twice, they might not want to try again until later (unless they succeed on a very low will save to try again anyway).  At level 2, they should be able to succeed untrained with no bonus at all, with about a 30% chance.  If they are trained in athletics, acrobatics, or have any sort of positive Str or Dex, the odds go up.

Not doing it that way, you have the potential for a player to end up rolling 10, 20..30...100 times.  Granted, not likely to fail that many times in a row, but it is a possibility.  Just rolling, 5-10 times, for the same check, until you succeed, gets boring, at least IMO.  If your players like sitting there rolling for the same thing over and over, go for it though.

Everyone in the group has a positive Strength or Dexterity modifier, and most of them have Atheletics or Acrobatics trained.  Lets say they have a +2 modifier in either, and both skills untrained, at level 2 they have a +3 on their skill roll.  Assuming they don't have an armor check penalty, if the DC is 15, then they need a 12.  If they have either skill trained, they need a 7.  And if Str of Dex is their main stat, they need a 4.

That doesn't seem like 10, 20...30..100 times. 
I would just assume that Pogo Sticks and Bicycles are a natural part of the world. Save falling off the bikes for NPC's and messengers, while heroes (that is, players) do cool tricks.

For the food, instead of having it deal damage on a failure, just have it give something like "Fried Beaver Nuggets with a side of Possum Tail Fries".

You could also have some monsters use these things like a group of goblins that ride bicycles and act like biker gangs, maybe have them portray a trope like "the white guy who thinks he is black" or "the skinny guy that thinks he is hard", like the commercials for that movie where the person "Of course i am not okay!!" (Holds up finger to reveal a papercut).

You could have Enchanted Cans of Color Spray to simulate graffiti and spray painting, you could have a "tribe" of "smack talkin' parrots" who tell "yo mamma jokes" at the PC's.

If they go into the bar, they might see a group of rejected bards trying to perform "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" or cheech and chong showing up to pull some antics (Think: Corsican Brothers).

There are a lot of fun ways to do these things, some of them I might do myself once in a while (the parrots, and color spray cans).

Within; Without.

I kind of want to make the bikes an oddity.  Describe it as some sort of mechanical horse.

The food though-- no damage on that.  Its just a bag that is always filled with comfort food.  No tricks.  Just reach in, and suddely buttermilk biscuits and sawmill gravy. 
I would just assume that Pogo Sticks and Bicycles are a natural part of the world. Save falling off the bikes for NPC's and messengers, while heroes (that is, players) do cool tricks.

For the food, instead of having it deal damage on a failure, just have it give something like "Fried Beaver Nuggets with a side of Possum Tail Fries".

You could also have some monsters use these things like a group of goblins that ride bicycles and act like biker gangs, maybe have them portray a trope like "the white guy who thinks he is black" or "the skinny guy that thinks he is hard", like the commercials for that movie where the person "Of course i am not okay!!" (Holds up finger to reveal a papercut).

You could have Enchanted Cans of Color Spray to simulate graffiti and spray painting, you could have a "tribe" of "smack talkin' parrots" who tell "yo mamma jokes" at the PC's.

If they go into the bar, they might see a group of rejected bards trying to perform "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" or cheech and chong showing up to pull some antics (Think: Corsican Brothers).

There are a lot of fun ways to do these things, some of them I might do myself once in a while (the parrots, and color spray cans).

And now I have the urge to make a tribe of orcs that ride tricycles while wearing a complete set of pink safety gear. Baskets optional.

Though, I kind of like your idea on "failure".  Maybe I'll throw in a d20 roll, and on a 1, you'll find.. less desirable foodstuffs, like pickled eggs.
Though, I kind of like your idea on "failure".  Maybe I'll throw in a d20 roll, and on a 1, you'll find.. less desirable foodstuffs, like pickled eggs.

Gnomes, particularly, simply LOVE pickled eggs. I thought it important to note that.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

Maybe there is a self-playing mechanical instrument (Animusic) as well. Unicycles would be a cool addition too.

Within; Without.

Everyone in the group has a positive Strength or Dexterity modifier, and most of them have Atheletics or Acrobatics trained.  Lets say they have a +2 modifier in either, and both skills untrained, at level 2 they have a +3 on their skill roll.  Assuming they don't have an armor check penalty, if the DC is 15, then they need a 12.  If they have either skill trained, they need a 7.  And if Str of Dex is their main stat, they need a 4.

That doesn't seem like 10, 20...30..100 times. 

I said it would be kinda unlikely, but when I first started DMing I had a similar issue.  It was a sarcophogus that the module I was running called for a Str Check to open.  I had a Str based Char with a +5 trying to open this sarcophagus with a DC15.  All he had to do was roll an 8 with an assist.  I remember the rolls exactly to this day.....7, 4, 1, 7, 3, 5, 7, 6, 19.....It happens....and it's boring.

The point was that if they are going to succeed anyway...why roll, unless there is an interesting failure?  Like falling off and taking some minor damge, but still learning how to ride.  The end result is the same, minus the chance for a string of boring bad rolls.
*nod* I see your point.
It might be fun if the bicycles turn out to be sentient. Perhaps they're polymorphed demons being punished, or they're experimental golems each with individual personality quirks that the PCs discover over time (this one tips up whenever somebody sneezes, that one steers itself towards bodies of water, etc).

I'd second the sentient bicycle idea - at the very least, they have individual personalities like horses. Perhaps the frames of the bikes are shaped like horses.

Also, the Panic Button...

It's a magical item that looks like a brooch or pin, a large round red gem set into a silver backing. When placed upon a flat surface and pressure is applied to the gem, the device sprouts mechanical arms and legs, springs to it's feet like a miniature person, and begins running around in circles gesticulating wildly, wailing hysterically and proclaiming dire warnings, such as "We're all doomed! Doomed!" and "The sky is falling!"...
 The device continues carrying on for one full minute or until it runs blindly into something, knocking itself over and reverting into it's original form. It has no other magical ability.

Depending on the level of comedy in the campaign, the party may find an entire box of them.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Also, the Panic Button...

It's a magical item that looks like a brooch or pin, a large round red gem set into a silver backing. When placed upon a flat surface and pressure is applied to the gem, the device sprouts mechanical arms and legs, springs to it's feet like a miniature person, and begins running around in circles gesticulating wildly, wailing hysterically and proclaiming dire warnings, such as "We're all doomed! Doomed!" and "The sky is falling!"...
 The device continues carrying on for one full minute or until it runs blindly into something, knocking itself over and reverting into it's original form. It has no other magical ability.

Depending on the level of comedy in the campaign, the party may find an entire box of them.

I really like this one.  
Sounds like a great way to put alarms round your camp =D
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A few years ago there was a contest to come up with card ideas for Munchkin the card game. I created (but missed the deadline to submit) the "Jug of War." It looked like a moonshine jug, complete with xxx on the side. Flavor text was "It angers up the blood."

Could be a daily item where as a minor action you take a drink and gain access to a Barbarian rage power.
Sounds like a great way to put alarms round your camp =D

I've had players get attacked by a swarm of them once - they got underfoot and each turn made a trip attempt (3.5) aganst everyone within their area. They also caused a hell of a ruckus and alerted all the bad guys in the area... And then there were the Easy Buttons, the nominally useful version, who proceeded to strip the entire party of all their possessions, clean them and all their gear within an inch of their lives, organize all the wizard's scrolls, retie the fighter's undone boot lace and then charge off down the corridor in pursuit of some giant spiders untidying the place with their webs...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

A unicycle could have a random movement mechanic. Roll over an ally an that ally gets pulled on top of the unicycle. Roll over a monster and monster takes 1d? per number of riders damage.