Booming Blade: Bonus to the damage roll from moving.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking at the swordmage at-will power booming blade I am confused as to what bonus damage can be applied to the secondary (movement) damage roll effect of the power.

Swordmage Attack 1Booming Blade

A field of sound punishes your enemy if he tries to escape.

At-Will        Arcane, Thunder, Weapon Standard Action      Melee 1

Target: One creature

Attack: Intelligence vs. AC

Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier thunder damage. Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

The secondary damage is not a (W) so I am certain items like Iron Armbands of power will not boost it. However I am not so sure about the enhancement bonus of the weapon used in the attack and feats like "weapon focus" and "Eladrin Soldier."

A level 30 character will have a con mod of +10 (at best) its seems it needs to be getting an additonal boost somewhere to validate its use past early heroic. 1d6+10 damage is rather small at high levels.         

I believe that your various other damage bonuses (feat, power, item, etc) only apply once per hit line. As such, they would not apply to the movement triggered damage. In regards to scaling, it shouldn't really be all that big of an issue; by level 30 each player has 4 encounter and 4 daily powers. With most encounters typically lasting around 4 - 5 rounds, you shouldn't really use at-wills all that often. Even so, as a defender you're priority isn't necessarily dealing damage (though admittedly every bit helps).

That said, that color green is very hard to read. I would change it back to black.
I believe that your various other damage bonuses (feat, power, item, etc) only apply once per hit line.

They apply once per damage instance, but the "takes 1d6 + CON mod" is a separate damage instance, I think, so feat / item bonuses to damage rolls should apply.

That said, that color green is very hard to read. I would change it back to black.

Agreed.
With the exception of anything that applies "when you hit" everything that applied to the first damage roll will apply to the second. Damage roll, same power, same keywords. It is effectively a double-tap.
A couple of situational questions:

1) If an effect that granted a damage bonus on the initial attack is no longer in effect when the targeted creature moves, does it still get applied to the on-movement damage?
  Example: Original attack was made while adjacent to a Shaman's Spirit Companion which had used Flashing Spirit to grant a +6 damage bonus. The Shaman's turn occurs before the targets turn so the Flashing Spirit effect goes away. 
  If the target then moves, does the +6 still apply to that damage roll?

2) If the original hit is a critical hit, is the on-movement damage also maximized + crit bonus, or not?  My understanding is that it would not be maximized because its not actually part of the critical hit.

There is an ambiguity in the strict RAW of your question. RC 222.

"Also, an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack power against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power."

So one could make the argument that any bonus that applies to one damage roll in a power applies to all of them, regardless of triggers or timing. It would only apply to things that are labeled as a "bonus", of course.

It makes more sense to read that line as a reminder that bonuses apply per instance (per roll) of damage and simply get any applicable bonuses. Lines up with the Explosive Pyre FAQ (and various other rulings) that way, as well.

So:

1. No, unless you want to go with the really odd argument outlined above.

2. Correct.
There is an ambiguity in the strict RAW of your question. RC 222.

"Also, an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack power against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power."

So one could make the argument that any bonus that applies to one damage roll in a power applies to all of them, regardless of triggers or timing. It would only apply to things that are labeled as a "bonus", of course.

It makes more sense to read that line as a reminder that bonuses apply per instance (per roll) of damage and simply get any applicable bonuses. Lines up with the Explosive Pyre FAQ (and various other rulings) that way, as well.

So:

1. No, unless you want to go with the really odd argument outlined above.

2. Correct.

So one inverted case to propose then

Swordmage uses Booming Blade
Shaman then uses Flashing Spirit and hits at least one enemy. At the end of the Shaman's turn, the Spirit Companion is adjacent to the Swordmage.
Then the enemy hit by Booming Blade gets its turn and moves away from the Swordmage.

Would the bonus damage from the Flashing Spirit then apply to the 1d6 + Con modifier damage from Booming Blade because the enemy moved?

Flashing Spirit Effect Line

Effect: While any ally is adjacent to your spirit companion, he or she gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls for each enemy you hit with this attack. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn.

Based on your answer above, it sounds like the answer is Yes, it would apply

Yes it should apply.
Sign In to post comments