Wild Sorcerer, with restrictions- PEACH

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
As mentioned above, with restrictions:

1) Has to remain a Tiefling
2) No Themes
3) Nothing from any setting specific material (no dragonshards or dragonmarks, etc.)
4) He's undergoing a major transformation from an Elementalist, so the equipment might look a bit odd.  I may be able to make various suggestions fit, though.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Qirun, level 11
Tiefling, Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept
Spell Source Option: Wild Magic
Hellfire Heir (Learn Supernal)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 13, DEX 19, INT 12, WIS 9, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 16

AC: 22 Fort: 19 Ref: 24 Will: 27
HP: 75 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +15, Intimidate +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +7, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +6, Heal +4, History +6, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Streetwise +10, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Sorcerer Attack 1: Acid Orb
Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade
Sorcerer Attack 1: Bedeviling Burst
Sorcerer Attack 1: Shocking Magnetism
Sorcerer Utility 2: Focused Chaos
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Attack 3: Lightning Cuts
Sorcerer Attack 5: Slaad's Gambit
Druid Utility 6: Eagle's Splendor
Sorcerer Attack 9: Prime the Fire
Sorcerer Utility 10: Maiden's Waking
Demonskin Adept Attack 11: Demon-Soul Bolts

FEATS
Level 1: War Wizard's Expertise
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate dagger)
Level 4: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Superior Reflexes
Level 11: Secrets of Belial
Level 11: Lightning Soul

ITEMS
Accurate dagger of Speed +1 x1
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Potion of Healing
Potion of Mimicry (heroic tier)
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier) x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Brooch of Shielding +2 x1
Handy Haversack
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Adventurer's Kit
Fine Clothing
Fearsome Reputation (heroic tier)
Backlash Tattoo x1
Lightning Accurate dagger +2 x1
Battle Harness Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Power Jewel
====== End ======

Items on his wishlist are going to include:
1) Accurate Radiant Dagger
2) Gifts for the Queen set
3) Robe of Eyes

Along with various other items.

I'm not entirely sure what to go with for feats.  DIS is definitely on the list.  Possibly other Tiefling specific feats (Imperious Majesty?).  Various multiclass ideas are presenting themselves- for example, Monk for Centered Body FoB, not for the damage but to get an auto-slide for Flame Spiral.  I took Superior Reflexes because his Fortitude is ultimately so terrible that Improved Defenses doesn't help so much.  Obviously a switch to Silvery Glow when he gets his radiant weapon.  I'm not commited to daggers (and he could save a feat with staffs), but he already has the Weapon of Speed.  Without a dagger expertise feat, that attack gets pretty hard to hit with.

I've considered Unlucky Teleport/MC Bard/Walk Among the Fey, but the group's consensus is that it's a random d10, not part of any power, so I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. 
If you are going to be using Lightning attacks, then you should be using a Lancing Dagger rather than an Accurate one.  Or, since you can't take Mark of Storm anyway, just don't use Lightning which will free up your weapon enchantment.  If you want to keep using Lightning damage, look into a Thunderbolt weapon as your next upgrade since it's significantly cheaper than the Lightning weapon.

If he has to remain a tiefling, why not look into Fire instead of Lightning?  There is a superior implement option for Fire too.
If you are going to be using Lightning attacks, then you should be using a Lancing Dagger rather than an Accurate one.  Or, since you can't take Mark of Storm anyway, just don't use Lightning which will free up your weapon enchantment.  If you want to keep using Lightning damage, look into a Thunderbolt weapon as your next upgrade since it's significantly cheaper than the Lightning weapon.

If he has to remain a tiefling, why not look into Fire instead of Lightning?  There is a superior implement option for Fire too.

1) The plan is to ultimately go with Radiant (Radiant Weapon has +item bonus as well).  So that's the next upgrade.  Why Lightning right now?  Because if I get items from Gifts for the Queen now, and knowing my DM it's a possibility, it'll still be effective.

2) Lancing vs. Accurate is something of a toss-up.  Lancing gives +3 to attack and higher crits.  Lancing is probably slightly better now, but falls behind over the course of paragon.

3) The only way to get fire on every attack is a Weapon of Summer.  That locks item bonus in at +3, and is a heavy blade, so it requires MCing and there is no superior implement.

Calculations for damage types:
Show

Radiant Weapon +3:
War Wizard's Expertise
Sup Imp Prof (Accurate Dagger)
Silvery Glow

+1 to hit, +3 item bonus, +3 elemental damage, pick up Gifts for the Queen

Lancing Thunderbolt Dagger:
War Wizard's Expertise
Sup Imp Prof (Lancing Dagger)
Lightning Soul

+3 Lancing bonus, +3 elemental damage, pick up Gifts for the Queen, +crit damage

Weapon of Summer:
War Wizard's Expertise
AIP or MC Swordmage
Hellfire Blood
Fiery Blood

+1 to hit, +3 item bonus, +4 elemental damage

At the +3 level, Radiant gets +1 to hit vs +crit damage on the thunderbolt dagger (+1 to hit is probably better).  Fire costs one more feat, for which you effectively get +1 damage, and can't get Gifts for the Queen as a benefit.  Thunderbolt is available earlier, but I don't really want to switch main weapons, again, at a higher tier, and Radiant slowly outpaces Thunderbolt when all else is equal (albeit Thunderbolt is 2 levels lower).
I'm going to make one more plea for aid- does everything look ok, and most signficantly (in planning things)- is a Monk multiclass for Centered Body FoB worth it (given no MoS or Infernal Slave).  Or should I just say that Flame Spiral will do 2 damage instances when there's no AP.

Otherwise, looking at DIS, Wild Spellfury, and the WLR/MR feats in Paragon, followed by Sorcerous Imp. Expertise, Quickened Spellcasting, Bard MC and MC Mastery for powerswapping, and Ruthless Spellfury in Epic for plenty of extra attacks.
White Lotus tends not to be very good if you aren't specifically optimizing at-wills (and you shouldn't be, on a Sorc). Unless you are being granted RBAs or MBAs on a regular basis. Which makes me ask: Why aren't you an Elementalist? Tiefling Elementalist is a build that basically writes itself.

Ruthless Spellfury was nerfed btw. Not worth a feat anymore.
White Lotus tends not to be very good if you aren't specifically optimizing at-wills (and you shouldn't be, on a Sorc). Unless you are being granted RBAs or MBAs on a regular basis. Which makes me ask: Why aren't you an Elementalist? Tiefling Elementalist is a build that basically writes itself.

Ruthless Spellfury was nerfed btw. Not worth a feat anymore.

I was an Elementalist.  It's the most boring thing on the planet, unfortunately.  This is an attempt at putting together a viable sorcerer (an evolution of the character, if you will), rather than repeatedly saying "Elemental Bolt [Escalation].  Elemental Bolt [Escalation]."  Or with Demonskin Adept: "Demon Soul Bolts.  Weapon of Speed: Elemental Bolt [Escalation]."

I'll see about Ruthless Spellfury later on- one of the characters in the party is going with Divine Oracle for his PP, so it's possible that a regular occurence could involve a critical hit in most, if not all, encounters. 
I'm going to make one more plea for aid- does everything look ok, and most signficantly (in planning things)- is a Monk multiclass for Centered Body FoB worth it (given no MoS or Infernal Slave).  Or should I just say that Flame Spiral will do 2 damage instances when there's no AP.

Otherwise, looking at DIS, Wild Spellfury, and the WLR/MR feats in Paragon, followed by Sorcerous Imp. Expertise, Quickened Spellcasting, Bard MC and MC Mastery for powerswapping, and Ruthless Spellfury in Epic for plenty of extra attacks.

A lot of useless feats. You're a Sorcerer now. Besides the quickened version in epic, you wont use your at-wills anymore.
Even more in your build's case who adds an absolutely gorgeous standard action attack to the arsenal. Add recharges via Epic Resurgence/Power Jewel, etc. and you're absolutely standard action starved in any party that is not absolutely low op.
I was an Elementalist.  It's the most boring thing on the planet, unfortunately.  This is an attempt at putting together a viable sorcerer (an evolution of the character, if you will), rather than repeatedly saying "Elemental Bolt [Escalation].  Elemental Bolt [Escalation]."  Or with Demonskin Adept: "Demon Soul Bolts.  Weapon of Speed: Elemental Bolt [Escalation]."

I'll see about Ruthless Spellfury later on- one of the characters in the party is going with Divine Oracle for his PP, so it's possible that a regular occurence could involve a critical hit in most, if not all, encounters. 

Then why not make a new character? A complete rebuild is hand waving anyway, may as hand wave the race as well.

Your need your armor to be Robe of Eyes because of the 16 feature of your PP.
Well, Quickened and Weapon of Speed, actually.

Then what's the way to go?  Imperious Majesty is always a Tiefling possibility, as is Dispater's.  Anything else to give a punch that I'm missing?  Is there a preferable MC?  Any of the Wild Magic feats actually worthwhile? 
To Alcestics:

Mostly because they want the same "character."  We're theoretically trying to play a campaign all the way through, though, and folks are starting to get annoyed with switching characters, since they make some of the continuity difficult.  And I'm aware of the Robe of Eyes issue- there's a gold issue, since I'm coming from the previous character.  I'm thinking about asking the DM if I can just exchange some things, rather than selling/buying all new stuff, but we'll see.

To Pinkisthenewred:

So what would you consider worth adding after DIS?  MC feat?  Dispater's Iron Discipline to basically eliminate stun and daze from his vocabulary?  Anything more damaging out there? (I know about WAtF and Unlucky Teleport, but the group wants to count that as a separate, random 1d10 of damage, and I can sort of understand why). 
Mostly because they want the same "character."  We're theoretically trying to play a campaign all the way through, though, and folks are starting to get annoyed with switching characters, since they make some of the continuity difficult.

Don't know if it would help with your group, but it seems to somewhat pacify my group if the old character remains in the story as an NPC. Just because someone is no longer in the party doesn't mean they can't still be active in the storyline.
Sign In to post comments