What are your favorite 3.5 Epic Spells?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My favorite spells for a larger story-based focus are:

Damnation: The role-play opportunity of a victim who not only spent a long time trapped in one of the Infernal Realms, but spent almost a full day brainwashed into believing in his heart of hearts that he's trapped because he's dead and the gods themselves sent him because he was evil, rather than knowing that he's still alive and some mage sent him because the mage is evil. Even when his friends get him out, the trauma could mess him up for a while (even a Paladin who's immune to fear probably wouldn't be immune to the kind of self-hatred they would remember feeling from before the mind-control wore off). I would love to play a character who gets that broken and has to function anyway.

Demise Unseen: Depending on how much control and observation the necromancer has over the ghoul, an entire nation could be in his palm of his hand until the King is revealed to be long dead. Even if the ghoul is killed, the nation (or at least the aristocracy and royal family, they might not let the genral public know about an incident like this) still wouldn't feel any semblance of security until the necromancer capable of an assassination coup like that is killed.

Eclipse: If a necromancer activates the spell during the Winter Solstice sufficiently close to one of the Poles, his vampire army could have over 40 hours to control a major city instead of just 10-20, and even just the next days might not give the populous time to repair the damage for when night falls again.

Raise Island: There can be so many more aquatic adventures for land-based characters that don't need to rely on ships when they have a larger, more stationary outpost that they teleport to.

My favorite for shorter, specific combat scenes is:

Dragon Strike: 10 Adult Red Dragons. That is all (Sure, individually the Challenge Rating is not worth it against the kind of people who could be enemies with an Epic enough spellcaster for this to happen in the first place, but I believe that more enemies makes for a better overall challenge than just bigger enemies, and they certainly wouldn't be the only obstacle)

What about you guys? What are yours?

Founder and figurehead of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, add mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.
Nailed to the Sky.  It's pure style in both its name and the simple effectiveness of what it does.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Also, Vengeful Gaze of God, because killing people with your eyes is pretty cool, and Verdigris Tsunami is just kickass.

Well, what else would you do when you've got a 400+ Spellcraft modifier and several million gold pieces burning a hole in your pocket?

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Random quotes taken out of context
(More to come as I find them...)

Magical fairy princesses (i.e. all fairy princesses) have the pleasant situation of not needing to choose, unless they're rebellious teen emo fairy princesses.~ Slagger_the_Chuul, Gleemax

So you can have the basic stats of full plate armor in an iron loincloth or steel bikini? If you were playing Jeopardy, you'd get points for that.~ StevenO & Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

The monkey "yells" at the Dwarf, (high pitched monkey sounds) and turns to look at the Cleric to talk in common and says... *deep Barry White type voice. "Ah yea. Here ya go"~ BuddhaKai, Gleemax

One could, I guess, take the view that part of the spell is simply persuading physics to sit down and shut up~ Ocarina_Guy, Gleemax

So what happens if you automatically fail an automatic success? Inception.~ Kamanchu & MrDayKwan, Gleemax

Jafonel, that is absolutely my favorite misreading of RAW EVER. ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax You know the best part? These are four-foot-tall creatures that can conjure hammers from nowhere. They are CHIBIS!!!! ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax

Hmm. And here I thought that a whip was an implement of torture and a sword was an implement of killing... ~skydragonknight, Gleemax

I'm a little behind on this, but wouldn't letting the ability (to) create a Ruby Rod open up a whole can of worms with people claiming that means they can also create a Corbin Dallas? ~Kilroo, Gleemax

wow - we accidently went by the rules when the barbarian took of(f) someones arm on purpose.... ~Tetsuoh, Gleemax

Guys, it's obviously a trick question. No one plays a CN rogue unless they want to commit Evil acts and get away with it. :P ~herrdoktor, Gleemax

This ain't the real world. This is gosh darn Dungeons and Friken Dragons! ~Arcanist, GiantitP

just so I can have the glee of, when one of the PCs gets angry and yells "WHY WON'T YOU DIE" I can respond "I would prefer not to." ~Deth Muncher, GiantitP

If sleeping with Tieflings is "Tapping into Evil power" (if ya know what I mean), that is also an Evil Act according to BoVD, and would make a Paladin fall accordingly. ~Slipperychicken, GiantitP

So we have a real world basis for it to rain cattle ~MrCustomer, Gleemax

You both make point so good, you could stab someone with them. ~Immabozo, GiantitP

Given how gravity works differently for jumping, falling, stalling, and reverse gravity, we can conclusively say that D&D physics are powered by ACME Corp. ~Flickerdart, GiantitP

In D&D, I'm pretty sure the square-cube law merely describes how cubes are to be drawn on battle mats. ~Cog, GiantitP

continuous Prestidigitation refrigeration ~Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

Sign In to post comments