Mono Green - A Deck for all Occasions...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey folks!

Okay this is a bit of a challenge... My freinds and I regularly play FNM but we have a strict 'no sideboard' policy, there are a quite a few of us each week but often it's never the same players each week. We don't use sideboards to help keep the field level, especially for those players who are new or can't always come.

Anyway, my goal is to but together a Mono Green deck that is competitive against... well everying! I know there are no 'one beats all' decks but without sideboard options and with twenty or so different decks in the mix between us I love the challenge of getting to the top of the leaderboards using only one single deck

So here we go!

22 x Forest

4 x Ambush Viper
3 x Predator Ooze
4 x Dungrove Elder
3 x Troll Ascetic
4 x Deadly Recluse
4 x Strangleroot Geist
1 x Garruk, Primal Hunter

4 x Increasing Savagery
4 x Revenge of the Hunted
4 x Rancor
3 x Basilisk Collar

TACTICS:

The idea behind this one is to unleash the fury around turns 7-10.

1) The trio of Dungrove Elder, Troll Ascetic and Predator Ooze are the damage-dealers. Hard to remove and hopefully on the field for the entire game as soon as they are played.  

2) Basilisk Collar, Increasing Savagery and Rancor provide permanent boosts with the aim being to keep the creatures on the field and slowly build up each attack so it does more and more damage and gives more and more life until it's unsurmountable.

3) Deadly Recluse and Strangleroot Geist are my main deffenders. Hopefully making opponents think twice before launching an assault. Ambush Viper is perfect for stopping an early advance and I'll usually only ever play as a Flash.

3) Revenge of the Hunted is a superb wildcard and is always super effective as a Miracle as long as you Mulligan with it in mind.

4) Garruk, Primal Hunter is in the mix just to give opponents something else to worry about!

So what do folks think? Bare in mind that this has been designed to take on all-comers and is a mid-game deck, not a traditional arggro!

Let's have the feedback!

EDIT: Corrected the numbers of cards! (Got a bit copy/paste happy!)
You are at 66 cards (if this list is correct) so I would trim that back to 60. If a lot of your play group uses heavy control then consider thrun, the last troll it is slower then troll ascetic and a legendary which might deter you, but a little stronger and can't be countered.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

Most FNMs are Standard legal, and some of your cards are not Standard, notably Dungrove Elder, Troll Ascetic, and Basilisk Collar.

If your intent is to keep the deck Modern legal, I think you're good.

Cheers! 
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
(Edited to show actual quantities of cards... )

Yeah, we call it FNM but it's really just a Modern tournament and a few beers...

I have a single Thrun but wasn't sure about the rules regarding playing more than one...

Thanks for the advice!

Basiclly you can only have one legendary with the same name in play under your control at a time this means you could have as many different legendaries in play at a time but only one of each name at a time. If you play a thrun while one is on the field under your control you will have the choice of which one stays on the field and which one is destroyed.

Each player may have a legendary in play of the same name but no player can have multiple copies of the same legendary in play this rules out cloneing legendaries.

These are the rules as of some time this month (July) I think the 15th. So you might as well start using them now.

If you are going to use a legendaries like thrun I would suggest only using 1-2 copies.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

Sign In to post comments