The Derp Files

514 posts / 0 new
Last post

Stop this nonsense.
I'm the King of Non Sequitur.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I used to be interested in this thread....

EDIT:  GO SPLAT AND GoA!!!! 
nice thread. i hope i'll be able to participate.

does it count if i post a screen of my randon 2HG teammate having 90+ cards in the deck? cause that happens quite often ^^ 

does it count if i post a screen of my randon 2HG teammate having 90+ cards in the deck? cause that happens quite often ^^ 

Well, the qualifications for a derp have never been expressly laid forth, but I think that's probably too commonplace to be of much interest. It's more the actual play gaffes that make for amusing anecdotes.

(Also, the mods got right on this one, huh? Good thing nobody was spam-necrioing threads...) 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Well, the qualifications for a derp have never been expressly laid forth, but I think that's probably too commonplace to be of much interest. It's more the actual play gaffes that make for amusing anecdotes.

(Also, the mods got right on this one, huh? Good thing nobody was spam-necrioing threads...) 

Let's not speak of this.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Okay, have another (mild) one, but a derp all the same.

Late game, FW (partner) and HS (self.) Enemies playing GL and DW for third game in a row. They're at 14 life and Furnace of Rath is down with an active Grim Lavamancer out. DW plays Sign in Blood on self and some random critter, leaving two mana open. GL plays a couple of enchants to draw off a Kor Spiritdancer, including a Pacifism on Grimmy, who had attacked last turn to take them down to 14 because he only had one card in the bin. Sign takes them to 12. This turn they leave a blocker back so Grimmy can't swing.

They pass turn - partner's been holding two Lava Axe and chucks one at their face. No response, they drop to 2. Partner taps Grimmy, using the freshly deposited Axe for the necessary fuel along with his other card.

This is the moment at which DW tosses Doom Blade at the Lavamancer. Not on their turn, not as the Axe was being thrown and not yet in the bin to use as fuel. It ended poorly for them.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Okay, have another (mild) one, but a derp all the same.

Late game, FW (partner) and HS (self.) Enemies playing GL and DW for third game in a row. They're at 14 life and Furnace of Rath is down with an active Grim Lavamancer out. DW plays Sign in Blood on self and some random critter, leaving two mana open. GL plays a couple of enchants to draw off a Kor Spiritdancer, including a Pacifism on Grimmy, who had attacked last turn to take them down to 14 because he only had one card in the bin. Sign takes them to 12. This turn they leave a blocker back so Grimmy can't swing.

They pass turn - partner's been holding two Lava Axe and chucks one at their face. No response, they drop to 2. Partner taps Grimmy, using the freshly deposited Axe for the necessary fuel along with his other card.

This is the moment at which DW tosses Doom Blade at the Lavamancer. Not on their turn, not as the Axe was being thrown and not yet in the bin to use as fuel. It ended poorly for them.

Haha....what a twist at the end :P

I was like "I really don't see a misplay here....I mean....I don't know why you leave a blocker to defend a pacified creature, especially when it has a better ability....OH, THERE IT IS."

Dude was probably trying to be super slick, but then opened the chat window and got caught trying to close it ;) 
Two and a half years of stand-up comedy and years of writing beforehand taught me that you don't stick the twist in the middle except in very singular situations. :p

I'm guessing they left the blocker back in case I drew my other Bramblecrush

A minor derp I ran into yesterday:

I'm playing Avacyn's Glory against Guardians of Light. He has Ajani's Chosen in play, staring down a 7/7 Champion of the Parish. We're both topdecking, and on his turn he pulls a Pacifism and plays it, as you would expect, on the Champion.

However, the Pacifism triggers the ability on Ajani's Chosen, generating a 2/2 token. The game asks him if he wants to move the Aura he just played onto his new 2/2 token... and he says yes.
I tried to Unsummon my Phantasmal Image.

I Ovinized something in AG (can't remember) with 2x Honor of the Pure in play and lost my blocking creature.

I tried casting Doom Blade to "counter" Consume Strength.

And this was just last night!

Somehow I feel that there were more... [reaches for the aspirin]
You should make an account for your Evil Twin, Drunkeem.

Yeah, he can be a bit of a problem. [moan]
Opponents: MM/GL

Self: MotD

Partner: AG

Derp level: Minor

MM uses a Phantasmal Image on my partner's Geist-Honored Monk. His partner puts Indestructibility on the Image.

Bonus points; Painful Quandary was on the table and they were topdecking. This play cost them ten life.

You should make an account for your Evil Twin, Drunkeem.

That's actually not a bad idea. Gives us a good idea where he's coming from with his posts.

Long as he's honest about it. I don't want Drunkeem correcting my **** on here...
Yeah well, I just played a game Sober and Ovinized a Champion of the Parish... with +1/+1 counters on it. At least Drunkeem has an excuse... sigh.
I hope you at least had the decency to cuss out your opponent and call him a hacker and then proceed to pause the game forever instead of admitting your mistake like a gentleman wuss
Game losing derp from the other team...  You know when you playin those dudes that want to cast all there spells before swinging lethal?  Well this time it cost em...

Illusions had phantasmal imaged then bounced my eldrazi and was about to swing it when it was enough to kill us... but his genius arua teamate decided to show off his hand and....yea he made his teamate sac the dude with enough power to kill us...

another one I see alot is eldrazi players tutoring with the legend land on their turn.... when it'll be the only card in their hand and a dimir guidmage out....wtf man!!!
Game losing derp from the other team...  You know when you playin those dudes that want to cast all there spells before swinging lethal?  Well this time it cost em...

Illusions had phantasmal imaged then bounced my eldrazi and was about to swing it when it was enough to kill us... but his genius arua teamate decided to show off his hand and....yea he made his teamate sac the dude with enough power to kill us...

[hazy]We played some sealed last night right? Glad I didn't make it into this thread.[/hazy]

Show

yea man Im hooked on sealed too!! got 5 decks with each color represented twice..really happy with the variety and fun of my sealed decks
I always mess up stupid stuff in the UI.  I've skipped so many attacks thinking I was hitting 'Attack with all' not 'Skip attack' and I swear it swaps whether my portrait is on the right or left every time I start up the game...

This afternoon both my opponent and I agreed I threw the game on turn 3 when I accidently tossed a Sign in Blood on him.  He got out of a potential mana screw much faster and I drew my sorely needed control cards 1-2 turns too late to save the game.  Basically I had a perfect draw to his deck...But 1 turn too slow, so that reversed draw 2 would've been the entire game.

Maybe it's just me, but don't you think it should be fixed convention: You are always on the left, opponent on right?  Why oh why does it change?
Sadly, I should be up here. In the last couple days I've made two game losing "WAIT LET ME TAKE THAT BACK!!!" moves lol. That'll teach me to play while I'm tired, drunk, naked, high, and dead.

Alright fine I just made stupid moves.

Whatever The Market Will Bear 2015 brought to you by Wizards of the Coast.

I win... Oh wait.

playing FW vs HS
he's got 4/4 spider with +3/+3 enchant out and has 19 life
I've got fire servant, chandra's spitfire, and fireshrieker w/ disintegrate, a mountain, and final fortune in hand. I've got 6 mana.

I equip fireshrieker on the spitfire and attack.
he blocks, and I cast final fortune to buff the spitfire... Oh wait.  DERP!

I was going to equip the fire servant after killing the spider, in case anyone was wondering how I do 19 damage next turn.

game over man... Lol  
I loved Final Fortune ever since it was first printed. That's about as "Death or Glory!" as you can get.

Sadly, I should be up here. In the last couple days I've made two game losing "WAIT LET ME TAKE THAT BACK!!!" moves lol. That'll teach me to play while I'm tired, drunk, naked, high, and dead.

Or when it won't allow you to play land for some reason
First time playing Browbeat I targeted my opponent...

OKay yeah, honest maistake, but really... I should know by now to read the text that comes up on my screen and not automatically assume it's asking me who I want to take 5 damage (which I knew going in was not how the card works).

Or when it won't allow you to play land for some reason

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Show

Durped a couple of times last night by holding back a card to play at end phase "like a pro"
Shouldn't hold back a Lord before a Zombie attack.

Can I take that move back please, sir?

Show

Done that several times with Pillar of Flame trying to catch them attacking and trade out after killing their lord....woops
Held back Disintegrate for X=3 when there was a 3/3 Champion on board... passed the turn, only to realize that it's a sorcery. This was not a Drunkeem play. Ouch.
Held back Disintegrate for X=3 when there was a 3/3 Champion on board... passed the turn, only to realize that it's a sorcery. This was not a Drunkeem play. Ouch.

Champion has had me casting instants on my turn more than I would like.

Show

I overlooked a 1 drop Codex Shredder on turn one so didn't play it until turn four.
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Both me and the AI controlled the same amount of creatures. My creatures had a minimum power of 3. AI had 5 life. AI attacked with 2 creatures while I had tons of life. Do the math.

Another derp thing is, I didn't even notice it for a while. When it was my turn, I was carefully looking at the board, deciding what would attack, and what wouldn't, to prevent negative trade-offs (after all, that would only slow me down getting through that big pack of creatures). And then it suddenly hit me: I could just attack with everything and win! I fortunately noticed this before I had declared my attackers.
Should have played an island when instead I played a swamp. Set me back a turn which I feel in the end caused me to lose.
Should have played an island when instead I played a swamp. Set me back a turn which I feel in the end caused me to lose.

I made this very same mistake just earlier today. It didn't matter in the end though. Also lost a game because I was tutoring for an aura but I ended up taking too long choosing and got nothing. 

I made this very same mistake just earlier today. It didn't matter in the end though. Also lost a game because I was tutoring for an aura but I ended up taking too long choosing and got nothing. 

lol I did something similar when chosing target for the elephant in CoMD. I took too long making that epic third choice that it didn't do any of my choices... sad panda
This match just ended about 30 seconds ago.,  I was using Chant of the Mul Daya, playing against Enter the Dracomancer.  My mana is fine, I've ramped up to about 12 lands around turn 5 or 6, but I still haven't drawn into any big creatures.  My opponent is having good luck getting down some devour creatures, a Gorger Wurm that's sitting at 8/8 and a Hellkite Hatchling.  I'm being kept alive by Grazing Gladehart's (I usually don't run them but I was getting mowed down by humans and illusions early so I subbed them in).  He begins outpacing my lifegain with his damage and I have to play All is Dust.  He then lays Dragon Fodder followed by a Predator Dragon, so that's an 8/8, and attacks, he gets me down to 8 life.  I draw into All is Dust and wipe the board again.  We're both topdecking now, his turn he lays a land, I draw into Tooth and Nail, so I snag two Pelakka Wurm's, because A) they're awesome, and B) it's cushion against the random explosiveness of dragons.

The next turn he draws, and then playsForm of the Dragon...then quits.  He was under 14 life so I'm guessing he thought he was dead the next turn, the issue being, obviously, I was never going to be able to attack.  No more All is Dust and no fliers, I had no way of winning and he just gave up because he had a card in his deck that he seems to have not taken the time to read.
Hey, I win! [/wrists!]

Forgot to post mine from the other night.
Playing 2hg with an old dotp friend. Ramping like crazy and have the Oracle out. Come to a turn when Eldrazi Conscription was on my topdeck... wish could remember what I cast out of my hand that shuffled my library..........

Show

Two minor derp confessions here. Playing DW against HS. It's turn 5, I've got a Lord and two other Zombies on the field, and my opponent has no creatures. On his turn, he throws down a 1/1 blocker, and without thinking I immediately throw a Doom Blade at it. Unforunately, I was so confident in my position that I completely failed to take note what exactly my opponent had played.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, I did the same thing later on that night. This time I was playing AG against GoL, and he put a Spirit Mantle onto an Ajani's Sunstriker. I'm thinking "Yeah, whatever, I'll just Fiend Hunter that and make you lose the enchant--oh. Right. Well, that's 3 mana wasted."
Two minor derp confessions here. Playing DW against HS. It's turn 5, I've got a Lord and two other Zombies on the field, and my opponent has no creatures. On his turn, he throws down a 1/1 blocker, and without thinking I immediately throw a Doom Blade at it. Unforunately, I was so confident in my position that I completely failed to take note what exactly my opponent had played.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, I did the same thing later on that night. This time I was playing AG against GoL, and he put a Spirit Mantle onto an Ajani's Sunstriker. I'm thinking "Yeah, whatever, I'll just Fiend Hunter that and make you lose the enchant--oh. Right. Well, that's 3 mana wasted."

Durp:
Yah I'm fairly quick with Doom Blade on their endphase. I think I would may have tossed it quick also. I happens.
That's a rough one though.

Show