Power Damage

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This has confused me for a while.  On the standard character sheet there is a place for recording damage for for certain ablities.  If my character has a Longsword then I record 1d8 in the damage box.  I also mark down the Strength modifier and any other enhancements.  So a melee attack might yield 1d8 + 4 damage.

The question is what part of that is included in the [W] on a power that also uses the Longsword?  

The powers usually say something like "1[W] + Strength Modifer".  Does this mean I only include the 1d8 and not any other enhancements that I might have?

[W] is the weapon die. 1d8 in the case of the longsword. It does not include anything else.

A power that says "1[W] + Strength modifier damage" includes your strength modifier in the damage roll. Some powers might simply do "1[W] damage", in which case you do NOT add your strength modifier to the roll.

Other modifiers generally apply to any damage roll and will still be added even if your ability modifier is not. (The only time they don't apply is if the base damage is a fixed value.)
You will notice that things that increase damage says "bonus to the damage roll" or something along those lines, but you will notice it says "damage roll"

meaning if you don't get no roll, then you don't get no tolls

So 1[w] is the damage roll
+ Strength is a modifer to the damage roll 
So let's say I am a Fighter. I have a +1 Magic Longsword. If I just do a basic melee attack, then the damage would be 1d8 + Strength Mod + 1. Yes?

But if I wanted to use my Cleave power, the damage would be 1d8 + Strength Mod (1[W] + Strength). I would give up the +1 enhancement bonus in favor of doing damage to an additional enemy?
So let's say I am a Fighter. I have a +1 Magic Longsword. If I just do a basic melee attack, then the damage would be 1d8 + Strength Mod + 1. Yes? But if I wanted to use my Cleave power, the damage would be 1d8 + Strength Mod (1[W] + Strength). I would give up the +1 enhancement bonus in favor of doing damage to an additional enemy?

No.  The target would take 1d8 + strength mod +1.  An enemy adjacent would take just your strength mod.  The enemy does not have roll done against it, so no 1d8, and also no +1.

If you had Weapon Focus: Heavy Blade, which gives a +1 feat bonus to damage with heavy blades, then it would be 1d8+ strength mod +2 (and the adjacent enemy would still be just strength mod). 
Ok. That would match how I was originally interpreting.

What was odd for me was how the character sheet was specifically listing out all of the bonuses but then the powers were just saying 1[W] + Strength. It seems like it should be saying 1[W] + Strength + Enhancements or something.

Or maybe I just need to chill. [:D]

Thanks
It seems like it should be saying 1[W] + Strength + Enhancements or something.

Basically, they do. Thats part of the point of the Weapon and Implement keywords. From the section on How to Read a Power:

Accessories: These keywords identify items used with the power. If you have a proficiency bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls from your weapon or an enhancement bonus to your attack rolls and damage rolls from a magic weapon or an implement, you add that bonus when you use a power that has the associated keyword.

Weapons and Implements are listed as accessories.
That is really the key part I was missing. I know I have read that before, but I guess it never sank in. Reading again it makes perfect sense.

Thanks