God and Avatars?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
i guess mtg is probably finding away or givng a place to avatars in the next part considering that from observation that avas have effects on the either world/field and i would imagine gods having similar effects aswell; this is would be exceptional idea. curious what others feel and think bout this theory (btw this idea came to me while i was drinking coffee and during a sleep cycle i miss yesterday @@ yay :s)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

You may be right.
blah blah metal lyrics
You may be wrong.

Joke done, now for the real question: huh? I don't understand what you're saying (partly due to the huge grammar mistakes).
Basically, MageTheBlack is saying that since greek mythology has a huge emphasis on Gods, and Theros is supposed to be based around it, there should be God analogs there. He thinks Avatar creatures make a good impression, because they are often huge and powerful (and revered?) creatures with a huge impact on the world.

Which belongs in Future Set Speculation.
Basically, MageTheBlack is saying that since greek mythology has a huge emphasis on Gods, and Theros is supposed to be based around it, there should be God analogs there. He thinks Avatar creatures make a good impression, because they are often huge and powerful (and revered?) creatures with a huge impact on the world.

Can I borrow your decoder ring?

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

yupz! couldn't rly say it better myself; ty shiny :D But as i mention b4 its just an theory. And i know that an avatar is an incarnation or expression of a god, so better yet maybe they'll become the tokens of gods... idk :/
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

yupz! couldn't rly say it better myself; ty shiny :D But as i mention b4 its just an theory. And i know that an avatar is an incarnation or expression of a god, so better yet maybe they'll become the tokens of gods... idk :/

Please put more effort into your grammar and spelling. We do not tolerate leet-speak on these boards.

Moving to Future Set Speculation.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Please put more effort into your grammar and spelling. We do not tolerate leet-speak on these boards.

Moving to Future Set Speculation.

sry bout that; thought that topic was close to what i was speculating/posting
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

Friends
Sorcery

Put a 6/6 white legendary God creature token named Zeus with ",: Deal 3 damage to target player and tap all his permanents." onto the battlefield.

--

Foes
Sorcery

Put a 2/1 white Human Knight creature token with Protection from Black and Exalted and a 2/1 black Human Knight creature token with Protection from White and Exalted onto the battlefield.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I really like zues here

board rocking powers with focus against the player
NO WAR

The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock. T.S. Eliot. Read by Anthony Hopkins

Got blocked out of twitter I'm told I must provide

a mobile phone number for a text confirmation before my suspension is lifted I do not own a mobile phone

got to a help window and sent this message

my phone number is 858 483 3822 where I will confirm my identity

I'm taking this change in the Legend rule (which, mechanically, I don't actually mind, but acknowledge that it is a flavour fail) to be a big indicator that Theros will be a Legend set. With the Legends rule amended, the way is paved to create a Gods, Heroes & Monsters set without the "apparent frustration / confusion" of the legends rule (not that I particuarly had a problem with it).

If that's true, then flabourwise we'd probably have god cards. I'd be interested to know how the gods are distinguished from 'mere' legends (without creating ridonculous eldrazi). maybe something lateral like this...

Divinity (you may cast this creature from your hand for twice its mana cost; if you do, put this creature in the command zone rather than on the battlefield; you may cast creatures in your command zone for their mana cost as if they were in your hand)

Zeus, the Thunderer -
Legendary Creature - Immortal [MR]
Divinity (you may cast this creature from your hand for twice its mana cost; if you do, put this creature in the command zone rather than on the battlefield; you may cast creatures in your command zone for their mana cost as if they were in your hand)
When Zeus enters the battlefield, it deals 5 damage to target creature or player and you gain 5 life.
As long as Zeus is in the command zone, attacking creatures you control get +2/+2.
5/5

God Cycle

Poseidon, the Shapechanger -
Legendary Creature - Immortal
Divinity
You may have Poseidon enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield or in any command zone, except it's still 5/5.
As long as Poseidon is in the command zone, you may have nontoken creatures you control enter the enter the battlefield as a copy of any other nontoken creature you control.
5/5

Hades, the Wretched -
Legendary Creature - Immortal
Divinity
When Hades enters the battlefield, you may return target legendary creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
As long as Hades is in the command zone, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control from the graveyard enter the battlefield with two additional +1/+1 counters on them.
5/5

This uses the command zone for the first time outside of EDH... a zone that a lot of players are now familiar with. Of course this gives an extra kick to runnign those cards in EDH (a bit like those Vanguard cards of old).

The mods and rules around here are annoying...every time i come to these forums i am reminded why i dont come here. This is why all the third party forums are so much more popular. I know this seems like a bit of an over reaction but its a long time coming.

On topic:

I dont really care. Mods please be of use and edit something here...maybe a spanking or a slap on the hand...

Other snobby users please here please ensue with flaming...something along the lines of dont let the door hit you on the way out or we hate you. Blahblahblah....see you in 3 months.
The mods and rules around here are annoying...every time i come to these forums i am reminded why i dont come here. This is why all the third party forums are so much more popular. I know this seems like a bit of an over reaction but its a long time coming. On topic: I dont really care. Mods please be of use and edit something here...maybe a spanking or a slap on the hand... Other snobby users please here please ensue with flaming...something along the lines of dont let the door hit you on the way out or we hate you. Blahblahblah....see you in 3 months.

Then get the **** off the boards and go to those third party boards that are "more popular." What rule that was pulled out in regards to the forum was annoying? The audacity that it be asked that people post in the appropriate forums? How DARE they ask that people put thought into what they do! This is 'MERICA, dammit, where we want other people to think for us!

Seriously, shut the **** up. 

MTG Rules Advisor

What a lot of people and mods here fail to understand is a lot of people post on there mobile devices and/or don't speak English as their first language. Not only that but your website is absolutely horrible with mobile devices....
My work here is done
Way to derail the topic.

Avatars as the creature type for Gods sounds like it might be reasonable, but if there's a mechanic in Theros that cares about Gods, that could possibly mean Avatars are checked by certain cards, primarily those meant to represent worship, and, well, I suppose most Avatars seem like beings that could be worshipped. But I would think a new Divine supertype could be introduced to distinguish godlike beings from decidedly less godlike beings. Also, divinity already sees use as a type of counter. Come to think of it, Theros might be a good time to bring that mechanic back.

Apollo - white
Pan - green
Zues - red
Hades - black
Poseidon - blue

Mount Olympus legendary land
chill [this enters tapped]
pull
Tap 3 creatures you control:
  Unrule Mount Olympus
 and choose a creature to rule it.
A creature that rules is exiled when it dies.
You may pay the creature's mana cost
to return it to play.

Can't quit fit the commander in..
NO WAR

a mobile phone number for a text confirmation before my suspension is lifted I do not own a mobile phone

God Cycle
Hades, the Wretched - Legendary Creature - Immortal Divinity When Hades enters the battlefield, you may return target legendary creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. As long as Hades is in the command zone, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control from the graveyard enter the battlefield with two additional +1/+1 counters on them. 5/5

Hades was not evil. That's a Disney creation.

Or, well... He was less evil than most of the other gods, including Zeus. Especially Zeus. Like, seriously.

What a lot of people and mods here fail to understand is a lot of people post on there mobile devices and/or don't speak English as their first language.

I always thought this was a terrible excuse. i english just fine with not first languge lol.
Athena - blue
Aphrodite - green
Hera  white
Hecate - black
Aries - red

greek gods are fairly elemental signifying prime colors
NO WAR

God Cycle
Hades, the Wretched - Legendary Creature - Immortal Divinity When Hades enters the battlefield, you may return target legendary creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. As long as Hades is in the command zone, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control from the graveyard enter the battlefield with two additional +1/+1 counters on them. 5/5

Or, well... He was less evil than most of the other gods, including Zeus. Especially Zeus. Like, seriously.

But being the god of the underworld and of wealth, he does fit black mana.

"Hades, the Wretched"...
God Cycle

Dis.

Seriously, if Hades is evil, then so is most of the pantheon (and let's face it, even with the jerkassery going on, nobody can stand the main pantheon being anything but benevolent). Having an Hades-like figure is the best way to bring 's benevolent side!
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I'm defenitely sure they will use the avatar creature type in Theros because of Karona, false god.

My take on the color/god matchups:

White : Zeus
Black : Hades
Blue : Poseidon
Red : Ares
Green : Dionysus (yeah I said it, god of wine and regeneration, and fertility)

then there's multicolor for gods who could fit into multiple spectrums.

Artemis, could very easily be W/U and her brother Apollo going W/R. Aphrodite I see as G/W. Hera as G/B.

then there is grand daddy Cronus who will be a malevolent 5 color monster of all monsters. The leader of the titans (giants).

Artemis, could very easily be W/U and her brother Apollo going W/R. Aphrodite I see as G/W. Hera as G/B.

So you think the goddess that is anti-civilisation, brash, agressive and associated with mountains is , the goddess of eroticism and death (one of Aphrodite's lesser known roles relates to the Underworld) is , and the goddess of matrimony, family, discipline, law and protection to women is .

Sounds legit [/sarcasm]
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I don't think there will be multicolour cards in this set... everything in the core set and RTR block points to colour tribal.

That being said, the colour identities of some greek gods:

Zeus: :Rm::Wm::Um:/:Rm::Wm:/:Wm::Wm::Wm: (because who else rules the world with :Rm::Wm::Bm:? but seriously, RW mostly for all the lust and rage.)
Poseidon: :Gm::Um::Rm:/:Gm::Um:/:Um::Um: (sea creatures + earthquake)
Hades: :Wm::Rm::Bm:/:Rm::Bm:/:Bm::Bm: (cruel and honestly I don't know but he doesn't seem blue or green
Apollo: :Wm::Um:/:Wm::Wm: (light and reason duh)
Artemis: :Um::Gm::Bm:/:Bm::Gm:/:Gm:  (nature, moon, night)
Aphrodite: :Rm::Rm: (love is the reddest of the red)
Demeter: :Gm::Wm:/:Gm::Gm: (she reminds me of selesnya, also she's a nature goddess)
Hermes: :Um::Rm:/:Um:  (He reminds me of Izzet in that he's mercurial)
Athena: :Um::Wm:/:Um::Wm::Rm:/:Um: (justice and reason and war, MURICA!)
Ares: :Rm::Bm: (cruelty and violence)
Hera: :Wm::Um::Bm:/:Wm::Bm: (she's a perfectionist and wouldn't mind going dirty)
Dionysus: :Gm:/:Gm::Rm: (Gruul rage and drunkeness)
Haephestus: :Rm:/:Xm: (machines! machines everywhere!)
Hestia: :Rm::Wm:/:Rm: (fire and unity and overall being nice and stuff)
Hecate: :Rm::Um::Bm:/:Um::Bm:/:Bm::Bm: (she's not cruel per-se, but witches seems the most Grixis and witches CAN be cruel)
Cronus: :Bm::Bm::Bm: (Primordial darkness)
Uranos: :Um::Um::Um: (Primordial sky-ness)
Gaia: :Gm::Gm::Gm: (Primordial earth-ness)
Chaos: :Rm::Rm::Rm: (Primordial chaos...ness)

Edit: now with explanations!
Aphrodite Goddess of love, beauty, desire, and pleasure. I am not sure that love has a color but se seems black to me.
Apollo God of light, music, arts, knowledge, healing, prophecy, poetry, purity, athletism. white/blue
Ares God of war, bloodshed, and violence. black/red
Hera Queen of the heavens and goddess of marriage, women, childbirth, heirs, kings, and empires. white/green however in the Herc myths she the antagonist and she seems very black focused mostly on revenge.

So you think the goddess that is anti-civilisation, brash, agressive and associated with mountains is , the goddess of eroticism and death (one of Aphrodite's lesser known roles relates to the Underworld) is , and the goddess of matrimony, family, discipline, law and protection to women is .

Sounds legit [/sarcasm]

This thread is nothing if not hilarious.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Aphrodite's main color is red as it's the color most strongly associated with emotions including love. Apollo is more :wbm: since he's a god of light, darkness, healing, and plague in addition to knowledge. Ares is red, full stop. Hera sounds like another :wbm: to me.

but it seems from the panal review at comic con in san francisco that the gods lean towards a more of a world enchantment type of card; since this next block is going be a bit more enchantment oriented; and i'm not saying that gods are going to be world enchantments because they set is going to be enchantment oriented, they will most likely have characteristics of world enchantments.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

Well the god card frame has a box in the corner so they must have loyalty or power or favor or something.
 Having an Hades-like figure is the best way to bring 's benevolent side!

Black doesn't really do benevolent.
I would really appreciate the opportunity to have a major black figure be pragmatic in his/her methods, but I'm worried that because of the pop cultural perception that the god of the underworld/dead/darkness must obviously be evil.

Just don't get your hopes up is all I'm saying. 
Has the idea for World Creatures been thrown around yet?  If the gods were World Creatures instead of Legendary Creatures, this would get around the new Legendary rules so that, not only could there be only one of the same god on the battlefield at any given time, there can be only one god period.  This way, we get the World Enchantment feel, but the gods are still creatures.  This could also explain the new card frame too, since we'd be able to see if there's more than one starry-framed thing on the table at once.

Rules Advisor

They've retired World Enchantments, why would they do something that similar?
They've retired World Enchantments, why would they do something that similar?

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

World enchantments currently languish in retirement because they did not, in the opinion of some, provide much that a Legendary Enchantment (a weird, rare thing even now) would not also provide.

If there is a good reason to summon the world mechanic out of retirement, it can be done.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

uhh....

If there is a good reason to summon the world mechanic out of retirement, it can be done.

Oh don't get me wrong, I always liked the flavor and have always been bummed out they never tried to incorporate something like that into Magic again.
For those too young to remember, World Enchantments were a bunch of enchantments that all provided a global effect to all players. There could only be one permanent with the type "world" in play at any time, and the flavor was that it was a spell that changed where the battlefield took place.
A precursor in theme to Planechase, if you will. 
Has the idea for World Creatures been thrown around yet?  If the gods were World Creatures instead of Legendary Creatures, this would get around the new Legendary rules so that, not only could there be only one of the same god on the battlefield at any given time, there can be only one god period.  This way, we get the World Enchantment feel, but the gods are still creatures.  This could also explain the new card frame too, since we'd be able to see if there's more than one starry-framed thing on the table at once.

One issue with World Enchantments was they always had the implied removal effect in addition to their primary effect, making them a 1-for-0 if you got to remove someone else's World with it.  Chances are you didn't put a World Enchantment in your deck unless you were able to maximize its benefit for you and minimize it for everyone else.

I'd like to see them again, for sure, just for the how much more interesting they could make a game.  But I feel like Planechase really did a better job with Plane cards.

If they showed up again, I'd like to see them blended with Karona, where your God card being inherently sacrificed because someone else played a God card isn't quite so damaging.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

World stuff doesn't seem very likely to me due to the tendency to make everything 'positive for you only effect' (New slivers, overload, etc.) Apparently we all be too stoopid to work stuff what might help them t'others / have a downside for us...

I wonder if we'll have both gods and avatars? We were told the gods can appear in any form they like when they're not in Nyx, such as Thassa (Thalassa? Thesala? Whatever that blue one's name is) appearing as a Triton. Maybe each god will also have an avatar form, either as a manifestation of themselves or as some kind of 'indwelling of an acolyte' type idea. It'd be a good way to give each god a signature smaller creature. At least having Heliod instead of Zeud means we won't end up with a white swan avatar creature.
Sign In to post comments