Iron Storm Question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

I am running Thunderspire Labyrinth and am at the part with Urwol, Master Smith.

He has a power:
Iron Storm (standard; sustain standard; at-will)
Area burst 1 within 10; +9 vs. AC; 1D10 + 3, and the target is dazed (save ends). When Urwol uses a standard action to sustain the zone, it repeats its attack as part of the standard action.  As a move action, Urwol can move the zone to a new space within range.

My question is how exactly does this work?
It creates a zone, but what does the zone do?
Does it not do damage immediately on cast, and only when people start their turn or walk into it?
Why use it as a zone and not just recast it?

Thanks! 
It does the attack and damage and effect when he casts it, and it also creates a 3x3 zone, apparently.  Then when he uses a standard action to sustain the zone, it attacks anyone who is in the zone at that time.

Problem is, the power doesn't explicitly state that it creates a zone in the first place.  But that looks like what was intended.  It also doesn't say how long the zone lasts when he first creates it, but it would have to last at least until the end of his next turn in order for him to be able to use a standard action to sustain it.

Looks like it's poorly written, but my best guess says that's how it was intended.  Regardless of how you interpret it, just make sure you apply it consistently.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

The weird part is, unless some of his allies get a benefit from him creating a zone, there's no reason for it to be  zone or to have sustain standard, because its at-will.

I'm wondering if originally it was an encounter power, possibly with recharge in which case the sustain would make sense, but they decided to make it at-will and forgot to remove the sustain portion.
Thanks for the advice!  I think I will do the initial attack as suggested and then make it a zone that doesn't do anything, just to keep the players on their toes. ;) Thanks again!
Good chance I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't allowing it to sustain allow the caster to use the attack again without triggering opportunity attacks? The area burst itself would trigger one, but I don't recall any rule saying that sustaining a power triggers one.
Good chance I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't allowing it to sustain allow the caster to use the attack again without triggering opportunity attacks? The area burst itself would trigger one, but I don't recall any rule saying that sustaining a power triggers one.

You're correct, actually. Only the initial use of a ranged or area power provokes OAs.

Sign In to post comments