Magic 2014 - Deck Laboratory

146 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magic 2014 - Deck laboratory

This year I will try something different than last year. Instead of trying to fix some decks, I will let anyone give suggestions about how to fix a specific deck and only then I will try to do that. Just to complement the process in the end, I'll submit the fixed deck for approval.

Some decks are clearly less competitive than others. The purpose of this thread is  to give ideas in how to fix these decks, so they can have a fighting chance against OP decks. The less changes being made, better the fix is considered.

Rules to participate:

- Refrain from making unnecessary posts.
- Cling to the current theme.
- Don't discuss anything not related at this thread. Leave this kind of discussion to the specific deck threads.
- When making suggestions, be concise. If you want to add explanations, add under a spoiler alert.
- Some topics will have a deadline. Be alert for it.

Example of Suggestions:

Suggestion:

- Change all Phantasmal Bear for Dream Prowler
- Change one Lava Axe for Beacon of destruction
- Add Damnation
- Remove Vengeful Vampire

Current deck selected to offer suggestions:

None.

Firewave 1.1 :

Masks of the Dimir 1.1

Chant of Mul Daya 1.1

Enter the Dracomancer 1.1

Hunter's Strength 1.1

Hall of Champions 1.1

Sword of the Samurai 1.1

Sliver Hive 1.1

I voted, but it seems that Firewave is coming out as the worst. But it is much better than Chant, imo. And people are being really unfair with the Dimir one.
After trying Megas Firewave build I'm seeing it in a new light. It actually performs well now.
Vote session closed.

Time to start making suggestions to improve Firewave, the worst deck in the opinion of the majority.

Just read the rules before you post anything or your post will be ignored.

The deadline to make suggestions will be until wednesday.
Add 3x Searing Spear and another Flamebreak or Flames of the Firebrand.
Show
This deck needs more burn to deal with the dominant aggro decks in the format.
Suggestion:

I'll leave my suggestion here too.

- Add one more Chandra's Spitfire and/or Firewing Phoenix
- Add Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
- Replace one Lava Axe with a Beacon of destruction.
- More cheap instant spells.

Show
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle is the only card I suggested that I really want to give an explanation. This card would be deadly in this deck, specially using it with Pilgrim's Eye. Pilgrim's Eye is a strange card for this deck, but I think it is a card that define the Firewave deck, so I don't have intention of changing that unless people don't share my point of view.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle conflicts with Seismic Assault and is, arguably, worse, as you can't activate it at instant speed nor use more than once per turn.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle conflicts with Seismic Assault and is, arguably, worse, as you can't activate it at instant speed nor use more than once per turn.

Yes, I know that, but this deck is not known by its synergy. Look at the example of Final Fortune and Sulfuric Vortex. So why not replace one Fireshrieker with Valakut?

Its a land so I guess it could be fetched with the Pilgrims right? surprisingly they are helpful in Megas build. I orginally thought they might help but left them out because they were meh then tried them again and their good.
No, it can't. Valakut is not basic land.

Suggestion:

- Change Bloodpyre Elemental for Pitchburn Devils

Time to start making suggestions to improve Masks of the Dimir.

I'll put my suggestions here.

- Change all Illusionary Armor for Helm of the Ghastlord
- Add one Recoil
- Add Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Change Vengeful Vampire for Sengir Vampire
- Change all Divination and Mind Rot for Consult the Necrosages
-4 Moroii, +1 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker, +2 Vampire Nighthawk, +1 Coerced Confession?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg)

I'll put my suggestions here.

- Change all Illusionary Armor for Helm of the Ghastlord
- Add one Recoil
- Add Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Change Vengeful Vampire for Sengir Vampire
- Change all Divination and Mind Rot for Consult the Necrosages

Duskmantle perhaps?

Bane Alley Broker (I dunno its Dimir and has nice art) :P
Consuming Aberration
Coerced Confession
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
-1 Guardian of the Ages, +1 Sphinx of Magosi
-1 Smog Elemental, +1 Rune-scarred Demon
-1 Mental Vapors, +1 Recoil
-2 Vengeful Vampire, +1 Sengir Vampire, +1 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
-4 Illusionary Armor, +3 Helm of the Ghastlord, +1 Fool's Demise
-3 Vedalken Dismisser, +1 Time Ebb, +2 Mark of Eviction
-1 Divination, +1 Consult the Necrosages (having 4x Consult would be a bit too powerful imo. 2x is fine)

Pfff go all out on the power I think especially with the three main aggro decks going around. Wizards didn't think of power when making them :D
-1 Divination, +1 Consult the Necrosages (having 4x Consult would be a bit too powerful imo. 2x is fine)

Pfff go all out on the power I saw especially with the three main aggro decks going around. Wizards didn't think of power when making them :D

4 Consult the Necrosages is the kind of power I don't want to see in DotP. I understand that it would help greatly, but discard spam is a very unfun thing to play against. Liliana's past decks have been by FAR the most aggravating decks to play against for this very reason. As for the all out on power, I think my proposed changes would make the deck more than well off. More control, cheaper control, and much better game ending power.

Magosi might be a bit too color intensive for a deck with only Expanses for fixing. May I suggest its Consegrated cousin instead? Not only it's an overall better card, it also has an easier CC.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Mark of Eviction looks incredibly fun, but is kind of broken with Chittering Rats. I guess the same thing can already be done with Stolen Identity though.
-Replace all Divination and Mind Rot with Consult the Necrosages
-Replace 1 Chittering Rats with Thought Scour
-Replace 2 Moroii with 2 Body Double
-Replace 3 Illusionary Armor with 3 Time Ebb

I really liked the minor combos this deck seems to have with thought scour and Time Ebb. Combine that with discard, and you can play around with the graveyard a bit with Beacon of Unrest, Diluvian Primordial and the newly added Body Doubles.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Nice suggestions from all of you.

Duskmantle perhaps?

Bane Alley Broker (I dunno its Dimir and has nice art) :P
Consuming Aberration
Coerced Confession
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

I liked Consuming Aberration. I'll try to find a spot for it.

Very good suggestions. And I agree with you about Consult the Necrosages. I regretted in making that suggestion, right after I did it.

May I suggest keeping 1 or 2 vedalken dismissers for sinergy with beacon of unrest,evil twin , stolen identity and, after the promo are released, followed footsteps?

If we want a little more power may I suggest

-2 divination-2surveilling sprite + 4 ancestral recall

-1mind rot-2 lobotomy-1mental vapors+4mind twist

-1countersquall-3thought scour+ 4mana drain

EDIT:more seriously could we have 1 or 2 tower geists?

May I suggest keeping 1 or 2 vedalken dismissers for sinergy with beacon of unrest,evil twin , stolen identity and, after the promo are released, followed footsteps?

Yes, you can. And I don't feel I'm changing them.
Here are my final suggestions:

- Add one Infest or  Incremental Blight. I'm favoring the first one.
- Replace Surveilling Sprite with Baleful Strix
- Forget about my suggestion about Vengeful Vampire and replace it instead with Big Game Hunter.
Open for comments about the fixed MotD deck.
Open for comments about the fixed MotD deck.

I know I totally forgot to comment on it before, but Treasure Hunt definitely has no place in this deck. My vote as a replacement is Wistful Thinking or See Beyond. Other than that, deck looks like a serious powerhouse. I could easily see this version being able to consistently trounce AG and DW.

Unfortunately, the deck still suffers from and costs; but there's nothing that can really be done about that without dual lands being implemented into DotP.
Other than that, deck looks like a serious powerhouse. I could easily see this version being able to consistently trounce AG and DW.

A powerhouse is a bit too much, but better equipped to fight them no doubt.

Time to start making suggestions to improve Chant of the Mul Daya.

Here is my suggestion:

- None.

Show
I really don't think this deck need any change to work well. But people voted for it, so the space is open now for suggestions.
- Remove Pathrazer of Ulamog and add a Rude Awakening
- Add a second Rude Awakening (don't know what to cut here)
- Replace Rites of Flourishing with a second Harmonize

Show

- Pathrazer is too expensive and the "evasion" is not very relevant. RA acts like a "hasty" finishers and can also be a big ramp spell if you have enough lands in play.
-There are a lot of cards I could cut for the second RA, but I don't want to cut a card that has a very different function in the deck.
- The deck could use a little more card draw, and Rites is simply not good enough. Harmonize is a good card without being broken.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

A little too much, don't you think? I see no problem with one, but two seems too much.
The reasoning was that it's better than most finishers in the deck since:

- It's impervious to removal;
- It's "Hasty" nature means you can win right now instead of in the next;
- It can have some use even if you're not quite ready to kill your opponent yet.

I'm pretty sure I would run 2 if we had it, so maybe that's the reason I suggested 2
Since I don't know what to cut to include the second, maybe 1 is fine.

-Ramp-

-4 Rampant Growth, +4 Nature's Lore
-4 Farhaven Elf, +4 Wood Elves

Were playing Mono-Green here, Considering Hunters' Strength gets Nature's Lore anyway there is no reason for this deck to get short changed imo.

-Stall-

-2 Grazing Gladehart +2 Pulse of The Tangle

Grazing Gladehart was obviously put in this deck to stall the game while ramping however 4 of them is total overkill and extra life only delays the problem as opposed to solving it. Granted Pulse of the Tangle may be too good of an answer. Call of the Herd maybe?

-Bomb-

Nothing here really needs changing that hasn't already been mentioned.
Open for comments about the fixed CMD deck. 
Open for comments about the fixed CMD deck. 

Might I suggest a specified list of what was removed and what was added? It would clarify the changes greatly.

As for the deck changes, Obstinate Baloth never came to my mind and is a great addition. Overall, solid changes. Not anything too powerful, but enough to increase the deck's consistency by a good amount.
Suggestion accepted.

List of changes in CMD:

-1 Vengevine = +1 Rude Awakening
-2 Exploration = +2 Carven Caryatid
-2 Bountiful Harvest = +2 Obstinate Baloth
Obstinate Baloth was indeed a good idea.

Damn, forgot to suggest Panglacial Wurm for this deck. I guess it's too late, right?