Livestream Game: Against the Slave Lords

Livestream Game
Against the Slave Lords

By D&D Team

Grab a virtual seat as members of the D&D R&D team play through A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity. R&D will also be using the very latest D&D Next playtest rules -- so sit back and watch the action unfold!

Talk about this livestream here.

Livestream Game

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

They are an hour in and there is still an hour to go...

Yan
Montréal, Canada

That first combat certainly didn't seem to be a challenge....

-Polaris

EDIT PS:  DiD the orcs even get to attack at all?  I don't think so...
OTOH it took less than 20 minutes. If this were 4E we'd still be halfway through the first player's turn!

Stop the H4TE

I like that someone (Trevor?) shows maps during play

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Howdy folks,

Let's keep this thread to commentary on the session being played and leave the negative commentary about other editions out of it.

Thanks.  

All around helpful simian

Its live streamed can it be viewed later not something I can do right now?
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Exactly how is Mearls determining how good people are at sneaking and how the Halfling got a ridiculous stealth check?  Are they using skills?

Oh...maybe it's about to be answered...

-Polaris
Howdy folks,

Let's keep this thread to commentary on the session being played and leave the negative commentary about other editions out of it.

Thanks.  

Okay, apologies.

Stop the H4TE

Howdy folks,

Thanks.  

is this also a place where we can post questions that might arise from the stream?

like what was that action surge that was used? 
Its live streamed can it be viewed later not something I can do right now?

@mikemearls I'm running D&D streamed live later on today. Tune in and check it out: http://www.wizards.com 
@KatoKatonian Cool! Will it be available to watch afterward, or just during the stream?
@mikemearls I believe the video of us playing will be available afterward

Yan
Montréal, Canada

you can get a pretty high stealth at level 3. dex +5, advantage, skill die, and skill focus are totally reasonable.
like what was that action surge that was used? 

In the Against The Slavelord Bestiary, Action Surge is an extra action similar to an Action Point.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Good improv by Mearls there with the Halfling's BS story, however I don't see how it's unique to Next.  Indeed I am sorta wondering how the halfing got a 21 on that roll.....although he might have got luck.  I'd also like to know what Mearls assigned as a DC for that.

-Polaris
you can get a pretty high stealth at level 3. dex +5, advantage, skill die, and skill focus are totally reasonable.

Yeah but I thought skills were completely optional now.

-Polaris

-Polaris

well they might be optional but we don't know what optioal parts they might be using.
If they're optional they can still be using them.

Maybe when they post the video they can explain which modules were in use.

-Polaris

well they might be optional but we don't know what optioal parts they might be using.

Ehh, if they are livestreaming this to show how the game words, shouldn't they be showing the base game unless we are explicitly told otherwise?  Otherwise we aren't getting a good look at the game as it currently exists.

-Polaris
''its a disco ball'' (Light) LOL

Yan
Montréal, Canada

''its a disco ball'' (Light) LOL

The offhand 'rules lawyer' comment IMHO explains a lot about how things are going and not in a good way....shutting up now.

-Polaris
That rules lawyer comment does not impress me at all.

Stop the H4TE

It's nice to see a D&D game being played without a battlemap.

Not feeling any tension to these combats at all. The PC's are absolutely not being challenged enough.

Stop the H4TE

cunning action - what is that?

the rules lawyer thing... while it did not bother me per se, it did explain a lot  
It's nice to see a D&D game being played without a battlemap.

I don't find it all that remarkable.  Given how one sided these battles are, I wouldn't have used battlemaps either....regardless of edition.

-Polaris
Many AD&D adventure have those 1 monster encounter. Not an average encounter for sure, easy.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

cunning action - what is that?

the rules lawyer thing... while it did not bother me per se, it did explain a lot  

Not finding it off hand in the rogue class.  Is this a theme thing?

-Polaris
Many AD&D adventure have those 1 monster encounter. Not an average encounter for sure, easy.

Eh, I remember my ADnD days.  I don't remember it being this one sided.

-Polaris
nope, I looked (searched for cunning in classes). It seems similar to something I'm already houseruling with hiding and moving.
i found a cunning aciton in the slavelords bestiary just now. extra action to hide or rush
Those cousins roll like crazy ;)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

The cleric rolls a 26 Dex check.  Exhibit A that the d20 is too swingy for the bounded skill system/accuracy that they say they want.

-Polaris
i found a cunning aciton in the slavelords bestiary just now. extra action to hide or rush

What's the restriction?  How does one get it?

-Polaris
Cleric actually got hit (and paralyzed).

-Polaris
Wonderful example of fake difficulty here.

-Polaris
Ghouls are nasty!

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Ghouls are nasty!

Only because of the fake difficulty.

-Polaris
And the guy that could turn them is paralyzed !  ;)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

You get hit twice for ... six damage.

Woo! Exciting numbers there.

I attack and hit for lots of damage ha!

13 damage. 

Stop the H4TE

Mearls is trying to spare the players by having the ghouls suddenly spit attacks (and I don't think you can split a mulitattack).

-Polaris
And the guy that could turn them is paralyzed !  ;)

Like I said, fake difficulty.  There is a reason a lot of us loath save vs die.

-Polaris