Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for July, 2013

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
That MTGO news is pretty sweet.
So, I think that the reason MBS-SOM-SOM is one of the draft options is because Trick asked on Twitter about draft formats people liked other than RoE and MM, and I responded with MBS.

So, you can either hate me/thank me for this. I for one loved the format more than NPH-MBS-SOm 

(at)MrEnglish22

Where's the TSP/TSP/PLC option for draft format? I'd love TPF except Sprout Swarm is a card.
The end is always nigh.
That MTGO news is pretty sweet.

Is it?

Last week they announced a change to phantom queue pricing, requiring tickets + Phantom points to play and paying out only Phantom points. This requiring cash for every single draft, no matter your win rate.  The backlash was great enough that they changed the policy and took the ticket requirement out - lowering the cost per draft by a full $2 and allowing players to go infinite again.  (Basically preserving the status quo instead of creating a large price hike.). 

And now less than a week later there's a new promotion with the same problem?  Unless you win your 64-man and sell the FTV, there's no infinite here.  Even the guy finishing 2nd out of 64 will have to reach into his pocket to play again.  That's not a particularly great value offering.

If people are happy, go for it.  But I wouldn't be shocked if few of these actually fire. 

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Write in vote:  Tempest / Stronghold / Exodus. 

Options to consider for the next vote:  Mirage block. 

And Mercadian Masques needs to be in the mix, even if no one would actually vote for it.  The cards are painfully scarce. 

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

Also, this post feels like a time warp. "The cyberpunk deckmaster will hopefully be a Netrunner game." Today, I was introduced to the 2012 reboot of the Netrunner CCG, and it was amazing. It's so cool to read this piece about the beginnings of a game that was produced by Wizards, ultimately died, lived on through its fans, and was recently revived in drammatic and successful fashion. It's definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Back in the day, everyone at my local wargames club got into Magic. Everyone. Except me, and my best friend. We decided we were going to buck the trend. "What else have you got?" we asked.

And so we became the only two people who played Netrunner. Over time we would split dozens of boosters, make mammoth decks using every card we owned, and play some truly epic games. We even made pilgrimages to the capital city because there was a shop there that had packs from the second set, and every time we did we would buy up all the stock. I still have all our old cards.

I dont see my friend much anymore, since he has moved halfway round the world and is chasing his dreams. I look forward to a time when we can sit down and play some Netrunner again.

I have all the new cards. I pick up each expansion as it comes out. I dont get to play much, but so far I have competed in Nationals and had a few friendly games. I also play online from time to time too.

I would never stop playing Magic for Netrunner, but thankfully the way the game is set up (as an LCG rather than CCG) means I wouldnt have to.

Thank-you, Richard Garfield. I owe you a lot of happy.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Am I the only one who looks at the old alternating-color-boxes textbox of the original duals and...well...shudders in revulsion? I don't really understand how anyone could think that that looks attractive.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Am I the only one who looks at the old alternating-color-boxes textbox of the original duals and...well...shudders in revulsion? I don't really understand how anyone could think that that looks attractive.

No, I also find them hideous. However, apparently WotC likes them, perhaps for historical values.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

No, I also find them hideous. However, apparently WotC likes them, perhaps for historical values.

I can't imagine many people legitimately think those textboxes look nicer than the modern gradiant, but there's certainly a lot of nostalgia behind them, and nostalgia can pull a hell of a lot of weight.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I don't know, the GSalvage promo looks kinda the same to me.
Is devotion the mechanic Maro said got a reskin?  It's a reskinned chroma, right?
Is devotion the mechanic Maro said got a reskin?  It's a reskinned chroma, right?

Yes.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

It's a reskinned chroma, right?

That was my first thought as well. The card would have worked just fine with Chroma, but I guess "Devotion to Black" sounds much sexier.

And lolz to Trick for "her mighty fine bident" Cool
omg, the wording of the abilites on these preview cards is odd, clunky and the opposite of elegant design.
bestow with its neverending rules text. monstrosity is acceptable at best. devotion to black is just ridiculous and I don't feel the heroic-ness of heroic. I don't get the connection.
Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum
omg, the wording of the abilites on these preview cards is odd, clunky and the opposite of elegant design.
bestow with its neverending rules text.

That little reminder text packs a ton of rules into an incredibly small space.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I agree for the most part Feroz.  The keywords really feel contrived.  If this much rules text is necessary, all a keyword does at this point is take up more space.  I'd rather they reserve keywords for really simple and straightforward mechanics like flying - so intuitive they could just print an icon (like the ones used in DotP) and everyone would know what it meant.  

It's still not 100% clear to me from reading Archon whether a Bestowed aura reverts back to a creature when its target is killed out from under it.  I'm guessing it does.  It's not apparent which part of Anthousa's effect is definitive of Heroic. Maybe the part where you target her with a spell?  I guess we'll  know when we see more Heroic cards.  If a mechanic generates a different effect on every card, that's not my idea of a keyword.  I can still appreciate the flavor of cycles of cards that share mechanics without being hit over the head with a unifying but contrived keyword.

I would like to thank WOTC for remembering cultural diversity again in art. It's been a long time since I've seen something besides a pasty white boy or girl as cover art. It's refreshing.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Licids are back!

At least they seem to have been executed in a better fashion this time around...

@Guest1130598577: I would imagine if it's cast for its Bestow cost and the targeted creature becomes an illegal target (by way of removal or protection or some other method), it's countered on resolution. Because it was targetting a creature, and now it can't do anything to that target. A normal Aura spell does not hit the battlefield and then dissipate when its target disappears, I see no reason why Bestow would act any different. Unless, of course, the spell doesn't become an Aura until it's on the battlefield, in which case they need to word the reminder text better. But even so, if it entered the battlefield not attached to anything, it would turn back into a creature before you had a chance to attach it to something...So yeah, makes more sense that if you cast it for its Bestow cost you have to choose a target, and if the target goes away it gets countered by SBAs.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I really like devotion as a "named concept" (it's more like converted mana cost than a normal keyword). And the word is so much more flavourful than Chroma. My primary problem with Chroma was that the word didn't explain the action, whereas "How committed am I to black? Look at all the BBBB's" is pretty strong. Also, if you want to positively push monocolour and hybrid, this is the way to go.

I would like to see a simple aggressively costed monster which just boosts with no "becomes monstrous effect" (G: Monstrous 3 plz), but it's nice to see my theory of how it works confirmed.
It's a shame Devotion won't get to shake hands with Geralf's Messenger in Standard. Rgeardless, I await you with open arms, reskinned Chroma.
The new keywords are sort of wordy, but underneath they are simple enough to understand. I really wish they would have ordered the bestow card differently though. Something like:

Flying, lifelink

Bestow

Enchanted creature gets +4/+4 and has flying and lifelink

Seems much easier to understand to me. Now I'm reading a line to do with the enchantment part, then a creature line and then the second enchantment line. That seems very weird (although I'm sure we'll learn to live with it).
If this much rules text is necessary, all a keyword does at this point is take up more space.  I'd rather they reserve keywords for really simple and straightforward mechanics like flying - so intuitive they could just print an icon (like the ones used in DotP) and everyone would know what it meant.

There's a confusion of ideas here.

1. Keywording complex concepts cost 1 word up front ("Bestow") for a medium-to-long term saving of the entire rest of the reminder text. ("Bestow cost? 2G? Bah-Roken" compared to "What's its cost when being cast as an enchantment with the option to become a creature afterwards? 2G? Bah-Roken."). By Journey, they'll can just write "Bestow: 2G" on the uncommons and rares.

2. The more simple a concept is, the less it needs a keyword. Contrast "Must Attack" to Regenerate.

As the platonic example, look at "Equipment". All that complexity, from "drops off and can be reattached" through "only equippable as a sorcery" all the way up to "if you take control of it, go look it up in the rules, because it's really weird, guys" all hidden behind "Equip 1", and available at common. COMMON. Within NWO. Bestow is exactly the same.

It's still not 100% clear to me from reading Archon whether a Bestowed aura reverts back to a creature when its target is killed out from under it.  I'm guessing it does.

Tabak's tumblr would be the place to ask this, but it'll undoubtedly be in the "Bestow-specific" rules (another advantage of keywords, you can have easy-reference rule sections for them).

It's not apparent which part of Anthousa's effect is definitive of Heroic. Maybe the part where you target her with a spell?  I guess we'll  know when we see more Heroic cards.  If a mechanic generates a different effect on every card, that's not my idea of a keyword.  I can still appreciate the flavor of cycles of cards that share mechanics without being hit over the head with a unifying but contrived keyword.

Ah, but Heroic is not a keyword, it's an ability word. Note that it's in italics, which means it falls in the same camp as flavour text.

Ability words are designed to highlight a theme, but don't have the consistency of keywords. Other examples include Landfall, Battalion, Morbid, etc. The key differences are that an ability word:

• Doesn't exist within the rulebook

• Can't be referred to on a card (e.g. you can destroy or boost creatures with flying, but there's no "destroy target creature with battalion" or "all creatures with battalion get +1/+1)

• Only shares a part of it's behaviour (Contrast with monstrosity: "Pay cost, grows by Monstrosity value, is now monstrous", always the same. The trigger effect I suspect only to be on the rares)

As you say, Heroic is like battalion or morbid, in that it shares a trigger, but the effect diverges wildly, so it really can't be a keyword. You call it being hit over the head, but it turns out that not having it means there's not enough for people to spot the connection, as proved by Mercadian Masks and "Cycles from Play" (see the link). Also, I find that it gives confidence in how the triggers work. "Does this count to trigger this creature? Well it did for the other 3 battalion/morbid creatures." This is especially important for stuff like Heroic, which requires a bit of thought when interacting with stuff like bloodrush*.
I do get what you mean about the flavour, but I see it as the heroes being particularly capable of channeling the blessings of the gods.

*: Bloodrush isn't "cast" as it's a creature ability, so it doesn't trigger heroic. Apparently activated abilities triggering Heroic is 100% broken all the time forever, because for example (1): Target creature gets -1/+1 is a perfectly acceptable activated ability.
On Anthousa, Setessan Hero:

"...up to three target lands you control each become 2/2 Warrior creatures until end of turn."

That's a nice subject/verb mismatch.  It should be either "up to three target lands you control each becomes a 2/2 Warrior creature" or "up to three target lands you control become 2/2 Warrior creatures".
On Anthousa, Setessan Hero:

"...up to three target lands you control each become 2/2 Warrior creatures until end of turn."

That's a nice subject/verb mismatch.  It should be either "up to three target lands you control each becomes a 2/2 Warrior creature" or "up to three target lands you control become 2/2 Warrior creatures".

"Each" is being used as an adverb, modifying "becomes", which agrees with "lands". The first fix you gave is not actually correct.

You call it being hit over the head, but it turns out that not having it means there's not enough for people to spot the connection, as proved by Mercadian Masks and "Cycles from Play" (see the link).

"Cycling from play" was released in Urza's Destiny, not Mercadian Masques
Templating is maths, not English. IIRC, the use of each is to ensure that destroying one land after targeting doesn't smash the whole effect (as each separates the targeting into individual effects)

Also, I'm pretty sure your first sentence actually worse English than the original unless you put a comma between the control and the you.
I looked up each on dictionary.com, and found this:

Usage note
The adjective each is always followed by a singular noun: each person; each book. When the adjective follows a plural subject, the verb agrees with the subject: They each dress in different styles. The houses each have central heating.

So the current wording is indeed correct.  I learned something today!
Licids are back!

At least they seem to have been executed in a better fashion this time around...

It's just Elephant Guide in reverse, at extra-bloated manacosts.
A little odd that monstrosity is a keyword action (like scry), but it isn't actually a verb.

Check out the period.  That means it's a keyword action, right?

Wonder if we'll get spells with monstrosity.  "Monstrosity 3 target creature."  That reads really weird.  What am I missing? 
A little odd that monstrosity is a keyword action (like scry), but it isn't actually a verb.

Wonder if we'll get spells with monstrosity.  "Monstrosity 3 target creature."  That reads really weird.  What am I missing? 

Flying's not a verb either, nor is haste or regeneration. Something like "Target Creature gains Monstrosity 3"

Even though it doesn't make much sense semantically, I think they decided to make monstrosity a keyword action because
": Monstrosity 4."
reads better than the keyword ability alternative,
"Monstrosity 4 - "

Well, it's debatable which one reads better, but that was probably their reasoning, at least.
I'm sure they'll avoid using the ability in full sentences.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Red gets a 4/5 with upside for 4 now?

Bestow is one of those things that's easier to play than to read. I don't mind "aura or creature?" as a concept, but I'm not going to enjoy reading that layout every time.  

DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.

Flying's not a verb either, nor is haste or regeneration. Something like "Target Creature gains Monstrosity 3"

Indestructible also fits into this category of non-verb keywords. 

None of those are keyword actions...

Keyword Actions

Abandon
Activate
Attach
Cast
Clash
Counter
Destroy
Detain
Discard
Exchange
Exile
Fateseal
Fight
Monstrosity
Planeswalk
Play
Populate
Proliferate
Regenerate
Reveal
Sacrifice
Scry
Search
Set in Motion
Shuffle
Tap
Transform
Untap

AluminumAngel's point was that "monstrosity" is the only non-verb among those. You gave some good examples of keyword abilities that aren't adjectives (making them similarly awkward to monstrosity), but that's not exactly what AluminumAngel was talking about.

^^^ Blast!  Sarnathed by Jim! ^^^

Flying and haste are not keyword actions.  "Regeneration" isn't the correct term, the correct term is "regenerate," which is a verb.

Also isn't a keyword action.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com — A functioning forum

As I'm sure you realize, that would be a really clunky card regardless of verbage.  Better to just "put 3 +1/+1 counters on target creature and it becomes monstrous."

Hotspur000 wrote:

CommanderJim wrote:
Hotspur000 wrote:
deworde2510 wrote:
AluminumAngel wrote:
A little odd that monstrosity is a keyword action (like scry), but it isn't actually a verb.

Check out the period.  That means it's a keyword action, right?

Wonder if we'll get spells with monstrosity.  "Monstrosity 3 target creature."  That reads really weird.  What am I missing?

None of those are keyword actions...

Keyword Actions

Abandon
Activate
Attach
Cast
Clash
Counter
Destroy
Detain
Discard
Exchange
Exile
Fateseal
Fight
Monstrosity
Planeswalk
Play
Populate
Proliferate
Regenerate
Reveal
Sacrifice
Scry
Search
Set in Motion
Shuffle
Tap
Transform
Untap

AluminumAngel's point was that "monstrosity" is the only non-verb among those. You gave some good examples of keyword abilities that aren't adjectives (making them similarly awkward to monstrosity), but that's not exactly what AluminumAngel was talking about.

Ah, I see.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

Ith wrote:

That new Vindicate art is amazing.  Here's hoping it shows up as a Magic Online promo soon.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

Jamas wrote:

The new Vindicate flavour text really doesn't match the name of the card.

Also, this is a pet peeve of mine, but it's really irritating to see Vindicate called an Orzhov card. The original existed long before the guild existed, and the new one has no reference to the guild.

Jakusotsu wrote:

Qmark wrote:
It's just Elephant Guide in reverse, at extra-bloated manacosts.

Ever tried casting Elephant Guide as a creature?
The "extra-bloated manacost" is a kicker to turn a creature card into Elephant Guide. More options, more mana.

Medic_Mage_67 wrote:

Why are they making another Judge promo for Vindicate?  I really wonder sometimes if anyone else gets frustrated with these decisions like I do.