Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for July, 2013

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
They already have a day when they give out free booster packs. It is called Magic Celebration, and this is the third year in a row that they have run it.

Yeah, the first, second, and third anniversary of New World Order.  Told ya!

No seriously, I don't think anyone is saying "they owe us free packs".  We're saying that if THEY feel "ripping a pack" is some sort of grand 20th celebration, they could put a little effort into it.  Players aren't the ones who decided to make this anniversary pack-based.  They are.

What I think we're feeling is more along the lines of "holy crap, it's your 20th anniversary and it barely warrants a mention?".  Don't they have specific job titles for "experience designer" to crate activities for this stuff?

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I have a suggestion:  Here is a FANTASTIC way to combine "International Buy A Pack Day"

with "An Actual 20-year Anniversary"

Fantasy Dream World Announcement by WoTC:

HEY GUYS!!! GUESS WHAT! MAGIC HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 20. YEARS.  THAT'S A LOT! CAN YOU REMEMBER ALL OF THOSE VISITS TO YOUR LOCAL FNM, CRACKING PACKS FOR THE LATEST AWESOME RARE? OR EVEN JUST GETTING INTO A NEW SET'S LIMITED ENVIRONMENT? OR HOW ABOUT ALL THE FLAVOR THAT WE HERE AT MTG ARCANA HAVE LOVINGLY CURATED OVER THE PAST BI-DECADE?

WELL HAVE WE GOT A TREAT FOR YOU!

THIS YEAR, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A *LEGACY* SEALED EVENT AT FNMS ACROSS THE WORLD ON AUGUST 2!  BUT IT GETS EVEN BETTER THAN THAT! TO CELEBRATE THE -TWENTY- YEARS OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING, WE'RE GOING TO GIVE PLAYERS *20* PACKS TO BUILD FULL, 60-CARD, 24-LAND, DECKS WITH! FROM ALARA TO OTARIA, FROM MIRRODIN TO INNISTRAD, THE SETS WE CHOSE FOR THIS EXCITING EVENT REPRESENT SOME OF MAGIC'S MOST WELL-LOVED PRODUCT EVER OPENED.

DUE TO OBVIOUS CONSTRAINTS THAT YOU WHO HAVE STUCK FOR ALL TWO DECADES KNOW ABOUT (THE RESERVED LIST, AND SOME FORMAT BALANCE ISSUES), NO SET WHOSE RARES ARE ON THE RESERVED LIST WAS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS CELEBRATION. I KNOW, I KNOW. LIKE YOU, WHEN I FIRST HEARD ABOUT THIS, I WAS -REALLY- HOPING THAT WE'D GET THE CHANCE TO SLING BLACK LOTUSES AND BROKEN URZA CARDS AT EACH OTHER. I THINK IT'S HONESTLY BETTER NOT LETTING ALL THE FAMOUS SILLY BANNED CARDS RUIN LIMITED, THOUGH. INSTEAD, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE ALL KINDS OF COOL COLLECTIBLES AT THESE EVENTS, REPRESENTING SOME OF THOSE INELLIGIBLE FOR REPRINT CARDS!!!

THERE WILL BE FIVE FNM FOILS FOR THIS EVENT, ONE FOR EACH COLOR OF MAGIC. THESE WILL BE OVERSIZED, GOLD-BORDERED, NOSTALGIC BROWN FRAME, **VERY MUCH NOT LEGAL FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY** CARDS.  THERE NAMES MAY SOUND FAMILIAR TO YOU.

MOX PEARL
MOX SAPPHIRE
MOX JET
MOX RUBY
MOX EMERALD

THE ARTS LOOK LIKE THIS:

WE ASKED VOLKAN BAGA TO DO THESE FAMOUS ARTIFACTS OVER AGAIN, THIS TIME SPECIFICALLY WANTING HIM TO GO FOR A MORE ''ALPHA'' LOOK.  YES, WE FOUND ANOTHER LOOPHOLE IN THE RESERVED LIST. OVERSIZED GOLD-BORDERED CARDS WILL NOT CAUSE THE SKY TO FALL, BUT THEY'LL BE FUN TO OWN IF IT'S, YOU KNOW, A FREAKING MOX.   

WE WANTED TO PRINT THE WHOLE RESERVED LIST. WE REALLY DID. WE WANTED TO CELEBRATE EVERY CARD ON THE VINTAGE BANNED & RESTRICTED LIST. WE OPTED FOR THESE OVERSIZED MOXEN BECAUSE THEY REALLY DRIVE HOME WHAT MAGIC IS ALL ABOUT: THE COLOR WHEEL, AND DOING CRAZY AWESOME BROKEN THINGS WITH ARTIFACTS IN DIRECT DEFIANCE OF THAT COLOR WHEEL!

NOW, FOR THE PART OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT I'M SURE YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, THESE ARE THE TWENTY SETS WE CHOSE FOR THE 20-PACK LIMITED SEALED DECK TOURNAMENTS! WE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE THAT FORCE OF WILL, UNFORTUNATELY, IS AN ''ALLIANCES'' CARD, AND WHILE IT IS AN UNCOMMON AND NOT ON THE RESERVED LIST, ''ALLIANCES'' RARES ARE ALL RESERVED.

1.  MERCADIAN MASQUES- THE FIRST NON-RESERVED SET! RISHADAN PORT!
2.  PROPHECY- AVATARS!
3.  INVASION- GOLD STUFF!
4.  APOCALYPSE- THE END OF YAWGMOTH! VINDICATE!
5.  ODYSSEY- THE MIRARI!
6.  JUDGMENT- WISHES! INCARNATIONS!
7.  ONSLAUGHT- MORPH!
8.  SCOURGE- CREATURES!
9.  MIRRODIN- ARTIFACTS!
10. DARKSTEEL- DARKSTEEL COLOSSUS!
11. CHAMPIONS OF KAMIGAWA- LEGENDARY/COMMANDER GOODIES!
12. BETRAYERS OF KAMIGAWA- UMEZAWA'S JITTE! 
13. RAVNICA: CITY OF GUILDS- SHOCK LANDS!
14. TIME SPIRAL- TIMESHIFTED CARDS!
15. COLDSNAP- ICE AGE'S THIRD SET! NOT RESERVED!
16. LORWYN- FIRST PLANESWALKERS!
17. SHARDS OF ALARA- MANA FIXING!
18. ZENDIKAR- LANDFALL!
19. SCARS OF MIRRODIN- MIRRODIN!      
20. INNISTRAD- WEREWOLVES!

WE WANT YOU TO KNOW WE HOPE YOU THINK OF THIS AS MORE THAN A LIMITED EVENT. MODERN MASTERS WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR DRAFT. THIS ISN'T REALLY ALL THAT ORGANIZED A LIST OF 'CARDS THAT DRAFT WELL TOGETHER'. REALLY IT'S MORE OF A 'CARDS!!!! CARD PARTY!!!! BOOSTER PACKS!!!! LET'S BUST SOME RARES!!!!' THING.  

ALSO, HAVING THIS ON FOR JUST ONE FRIDAY NIGHT REALLY WOULDN'T BE FAIR TO ANYONE THAT COULDN'T MAKE IT ''THE MOST AWESOME NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MY LOCAL GAMING STORE, EVER''.  NO, THAT'S NOT NICE AT ALL. SO, THIS SPECIAL FNM FORMAT WILL BE OFFERED ONE WEEK *EVERY* MONTH FOR THE REST OF 2013!!! THAT'S RIGHT- IF YOU MISS THE AUGUST PARTY OF EPICNESS AND MAGIC, YOU CAN STILL PUT A REMINDER IN YOUR CALENDAR TO *GET OUT. AND PLAY. MAGIC* THE FIRST WEEKS OF SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, AND DECEMBER.

THE PROMO CARDS WILL BE DIFFERENT EACH MONTH THOUGH, SO AUGUST IS YOUR *ONLY* CHANCE AT THOSE MOXEN!!!!  AT EACH EVENT, 1ST PRIZE WILL BE A SPECIAL 20TH ANNIVERSARY BOOSTER BOX WITH *36* DIFFERENT PACKS, FROM MERCADIAN MASQUES TO M14, SELECTED AT RANDOM.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL AN ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!         

ATTENDANCE TO THESE EVENTS WILL BE UP TO YOUR LOCAL GAME STORE, BUT WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED THEM TO SET IT BELOW THE PRICE OF MODERN MASTERS DRAFTS. THE STORES HOSTING THESE FNMS WILL ALSO BE PROVIDED WITH ENOUGH PROMOS FOR EACH ATTENDEE TO LEAVE WITH ONE. ATTENDANCE IN THE TOURNAMENTS WILL, HOWEVER, BE CAPPED AT 25 PLAYERS. 20 PACKS X 25 PLAYERS X 5 MONTHS X ALL OVER THE WORLD, THIS RE-RELEASE OF MANY SETS WILL ENTAIL A HUGE AMOUNT OF PRODUCT BEING OPENED, BUT NOT ENOUGH, WE THINK, TO CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO THE SECONDARY MARKET. MANY CARDS WILL DEPRECIATE, BUT THE AMOUNT OF PRODUCT RELEASED IS ONLY GOING TO BE ENOUGH FOR 5 NIGHTS, WHICH IS MUCH LESS THAN MODERN MASTERS WAS DESIGNED FOR.  WE ARE PRETTY SURE THE MARKET THAT KEPT MODERN MASTERS CARDS VERY HIGH VALUE WILL KEEP THE PRICES OF CARDS FROM THESE SETS FLOATING IN A REASONABLE RANGE AS WELL.

THAT'S RIGHT, IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: YOU GET A GUARANTEED MOX FOR COMING, EVEN IF YOU DON'T OPEN YOUR FAVORITE RARE IN YOUR 20 RANDOMIZED PACKS. 

I have a suggestion:  Here is a FANTASTIC way to combine "International Buy A Pack Day"

with "An Actual 20-year Anniversary"

Fantasy Dream World Announcement by WoTC:

HEY GUYS!!! GUESS WHAT! MAGIC HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 20. YEARS.  THAT'S A LOT! CAN YOU REMEMBER ALL OF THOSE VISITS TO YOUR LOCAL FNM, CRACKING PACKS FOR THE LATEST AWESOME RARE? OR EVEN JUST GETTING INTO A NEW SET'S LIMITED ENVIRONMENT? OR HOW ABOUT ALL THE FLAVOR THAT WE HERE AT MTG ARCANA HAVE LOVINGLY CURATED OVER THE PAST BI-DECADE?

WELL HAVE WE GOT A TREAT FOR YOU!

THIS YEAR, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A *LEGACY* SEALED EVENT AT FNMS ACROSS THE WORLD ON AUGUST 2!  BUT IT GETS EVEN BETTER THAN THAT! TO CELEBRATE THE -TWENTY- YEARS OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING, WE'RE GOING TO GIVE PLAYERS *20* PACKS TO BUILD FULL, 60-CARD, 24-LAND, DECKS WITH! FROM ALARA TO OTARIA, FROM MIRRODIN TO INNISTRAD, THE SETS WE CHOSE FOR THIS EXCITING EVENT REPRESENT SOME OF MAGIC'S MOST WELL-LOVED PRODUCT EVER OPENED.

DUE TO OBVIOUS CONSTRAINTS THAT YOU WHO HAVE STUCK FOR ALL TWO DECADES KNOW ABOUT (THE RESERVED LIST, AND SOME FORMAT BALANCE ISSUES), NO SET WHOSE RARES ARE ON THE RESERVED LIST WAS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS CELEBRATION. I KNOW, I KNOW. LIKE YOU, WHEN I FIRST HEARD ABOUT THIS, I WAS -REALLY- HOPING THAT WE'D GET THE CHANCE TO SLING BLACK LOTUSES AND BROKEN URZA CARDS AT EACH OTHER. I THINK IT'S HONESTLY BETTER NOT LETTING ALL THE FAMOUS SILLY BANNED CARDS RUIN LIMITED, THOUGH. INSTEAD, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE ALL KINDS OF COOL COLLECTIBLES AT THESE EVENTS, REPRESENTING SOME OF THOSE INELLIGIBLE FOR REPRINT CARDS!!!

THERE WILL BE FIVE FNM FOILS FOR THIS EVENT, ONE FOR EACH COLOR OF MAGIC. THESE WILL BE OVERSIZED, GOLD-BORDERED, NOSTALGIC BROWN FRAME, **VERY MUCH NOT LEGAL FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY** CARDS.  THERE NAMES MAY SOUND FAMILIAR TO YOU.

MOX PEARL
MOX SAPPHIRE
MOX JET
MOX RUBY
MOX EMERALD

THE ARTS LOOK LIKE THIS:

WE ASKED VOLKAN BAGA TO DO THESE FAMOUS ARTIFACTS OVER AGAIN, THIS TIME SPECIFICALLY WANTING HIM TO GO FOR A MORE ''ALPHA'' LOOK.  YES, WE FOUND ANOTHER LOOPHOLE IN THE RESERVED LIST. OVERSIZED GOLD-BORDERED CARDS WILL NOT CAUSE THE SKY TO FALL, BUT THEY'LL BE FUN TO OWN IF IT'S, YOU KNOW, A FREAKING MOX.   

WE WANTED TO PRINT THE WHOLE RESERVED LIST. WE REALLY DID. WE WANTED TO CELEBRATE EVERY CARD ON THE VINTAGE BANNED & RESTRICTED LIST. WE OPTED FOR THESE OVERSIZED MOXEN BECAUSE THEY REALLY DRIVE HOME WHAT MAGIC IS ALL ABOUT: THE COLOR WHEEL, AND DOING CRAZY AWESOME BROKEN THINGS WITH ARTIFACTS IN DIRECT DEFIANCE OF THAT COLOR WHEEL!

NOW, FOR THE PART OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT I'M SURE YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, THESE ARE THE TWENTY SETS WE CHOSE FOR THE 20-PACK LIMITED SEALED DECK TOURNAMENTS! WE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE THAT FORCE OF WILL, UNFORTUNATELY, IS AN ''ALLIANCES'' CARD, AND WHILE IT IS AN UNCOMMON AND NOT ON THE RESERVED LIST, ''ALLIANCES'' RARES ARE ALL RESERVED.

1.  MERCADIAN MASQUES- THE FIRST NON-RESERVED SET! RISHADAN PORT!
2.  PROPHECY- AVATARS!
3.  INVASION- GOLD STUFF!
4.  APOCALYPSE- THE END OF YAWGMOTH! VINDICATE!
5.  ODYSSEY- THE MIRARI!
6.  JUDGMENT- WISHES! INCARNATIONS!
7.  ONSLAUGHT- MORPH!
8.  SCOURGE- CREATURES!
9.  MIRRODIN- ARTIFACTS!
10. DARKSTEEL- DARKSTEEL COLOSSUS!
11. CHAMPIONS OF KAMIGAWA- LEGENDARY/COMMANDER GOODIES!
12. BETRAYERS OF KAMIGAWA- UMEZAWA'S JITTE! 
13. RAVNICA: CITY OF GUILDS- SHOCK LANDS!
14. TIME SPIRAL- TIMESHIFTED CARDS!
15. COLDSNAP- ICE AGE'S THIRD SET! NOT RESERVED!
16. LORWYN- FIRST PLANESWALKERS!
17. SHARDS OF ALARA- MANA FIXING!
18. ZENDIKAR- LANDFALL!
19. SCARS OF MIRRODIN- MIRRODIN!      
20. INNISTRAD- WEREWOLVES!

WE WANT YOU TO KNOW WE HOPE YOU THINK OF THIS AS MORE THAN A LIMITED EVENT. MODERN MASTERS WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR DRAFT. THIS ISN'T REALLY ALL THAT ORGANIZED A LIST OF 'CARDS THAT DRAFT WELL TOGETHER'. REALLY IT'S MORE OF A 'CARDS!!!! CARD PARTY!!!! BOOSTER PACKS!!!! LET'S BUST SOME RARES!!!!' THING.  

ALSO, HAVING THIS ON FOR JUST ONE FRIDAY NIGHT REALLY WOULDN'T BE FAIR TO ANYONE THAT COULDN'T MAKE IT ''THE MOST AWESOME NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MY LOCAL GAMING STORE, EVER''.  NO, THAT'S NOT NICE AT ALL. SO, THIS SPECIAL FNM FORMAT WILL BE OFFERED ONE WEEK *EVERY* MONTH FOR THE REST OF 2013!!! THAT'S RIGHT- IF YOU MISS THE AUGUST PARTY OF EPICNESS AND MAGIC, YOU CAN STILL PUT A REMINDER IN YOUR CALENDAR TO *GET OUT. AND PLAY. MAGIC* THE FIRST WEEKS OF SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, AND DECEMBER.

THE PROMO CARDS WILL BE DIFFERENT EACH MONTH THOUGH, SO AUGUST IS YOUR *ONLY* CHANCE AT THOSE MOXEN!!!!  AT EACH EVENT, 1ST PRIZE WILL BE A SPECIAL 20TH ANNIVERSARY BOOSTER BOX WITH *36* DIFFERENT PACKS, FROM MERCADIAN MASQUES TO M14, SELECTED AT RANDOM.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL AN ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!         

ATTENDANCE TO THESE EVENTS WILL BE UP TO YOUR LOCAL GAME STORE, BUT WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED THEM TO SET IT BELOW THE PRICE OF MODERN MASTERS DRAFTS. THE STORES HOSTING THESE FNMS WILL ALSO BE PROVIDED WITH ENOUGH PROMOS FOR EACH ATTENDEE TO LEAVE WITH ONE. ATTENDANCE IN THE TOURNAMENTS WILL, HOWEVER, BE CAPPED AT 25 PLAYERS. 20 PACKS X 25 PLAYERS X 5 MONTHS X ALL OVER THE WORLD, THIS RE-RELEASE OF MANY SETS WILL ENTAIL A HUGE AMOUNT OF PRODUCT BEING OPENED, BUT NOT ENOUGH, WE THINK, TO CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO THE SECONDARY MARKET. MANY CARDS WILL DEPRECIATE, BUT THE AMOUNT OF PRODUCT RELEASED IS ONLY GOING TO BE ENOUGH FOR 5 NIGHTS, WHICH IS MUCH LESS THAN MODERN MASTERS WAS DESIGNED FOR.  WE ARE PRETTY SURE THE MARKET THAT KEPT MODERN MASTERS CARDS VERY HIGH VALUE WILL KEEP THE PRICES OF CARDS FROM THESE SETS FLOATING IN A REASONABLE RANGE AS WELL.

THAT'S RIGHT, IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: YOU GET A GUARANTEED MOX FOR COMING, EVEN IF YOU DON'T OPEN YOUR FAVORITE RARE IN YOUR 20 RANDOMIZED PACKS. 

i understand that this is really so far-fetched a concept it dwells several lightyears beyond "Evan Erwin's Magical Christmas Land".  

I also scratched it out in 5 minutes. If anyone at WOTC had been smart enough to pitch  "20 Booster Packs: the Format" at their office, then they could have developed the idea all they wanted.

Also, this list of sets really does probably step too much on the toes of Modern Masters.

Modern Masters, the Reserved List, and the '20 Booster Packs' idea are all limiting factors on what might be eligible. I don't know which Core Sets would be good to include for this either.  Obviously Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised are out. 

Here's my second jab at picking "20 Booster Packs! Yay!" that might make the sky fall even less.

1. 4th Edition (?)
2. 5th Edition  
3. 6th Edition
4. Mercadian Masques
5. Nemesis 
6. Prophecy
7. Invasion
8. Planeshift
9. Apocalypse
10. 7th Edition
11. Odyssey
12. Torment
13. Judgment  
14. Onslaught
15. Legions
16. Scourge
17. 8th Edition 
18. Modern Masters
19. Modern Masters
20. Modern Masters

There. A little bit more Modern Masters, which let us assume is part of the original planned print run, with a VERY staggered release?  A Look at the Changes:

a) Now it's 25% Core Sets, and 1/7 Modern Masters. This does funny things to the EV of your Sealed Pool. Those 3 Modern Masters packs do a lot to make your pool almost guaranteed to be awesome, while FIVE Core Sets from before Xth means that tbh, a LOT of your cards will actually be Old-Fashioned Bad MTG cards.  Not to mention, the post-Urza, pre-Modern sets were kind of iffy on Power Level compared to our standards today.

b) With the full Blocks of Masques, Invasion, Odyssey, and Onslaught added to three Modern Masters packs, the Rare slots will be Very Exciting for every pool. There is some amount of Mana Fixing in all of these sets. Not very powerful is all. Oh. Except for the Onslaught Fetch Lands.

c) the Sealed Decks will be Wacky, and some people will have just...uhh...bad Mana Fixing. One proposable solution to this would be that each player gets 10 Guildgates in addition to their packs.
The Guildgates would be available with the Basics that FNMs usually have for free, but you only get 10.

With all of those changes, and proposing the Decks be 60 cards minimum, I think that this list of 20 packs actually does look like a really fun and reasonable event. =)     
On the one hand, when you look at THESE packs....well....that's a LOT of weak sets! XD

But 20 Packs for the price of an FNM! or even just for the price of an over-costed Draft?  $50 would be a steal to get to play this Sealed Format!     

Am I wrong or Jace's Mindseeker is basically just a moray eel with a tattoo? ^__^
Ugh. They don't even need to give out free boosters or anything for me to be happy. Just releasing some special product clearly marked as being for this to give them money for would be fine. Something available to everyone - that is, not From the Vault. I liked the promotion they did with Ultra-Pro for the 15th anniversary, maybe we can do that again? Or something.
RE: Commander Decklists

Who do I need to speak to about the way Commander decklists are posted on the mothership? By the time you get half way down the list you can no longer see the card image, because it doesnt move down with the screen. If the list is more than one screen long, could you please just use normal autocard links?

Thanks,

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
The card of the day Blood Bairn has got me thinking about making a deck with creatures who are all children.  The only cards I know for sure that have children are Cloistered Youth and Blood Bairn.  I suppose I include the likes of Dragon Hatchling and others as children.  Anyone recall any others?

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

The card of the day Blood Bairn has got me thinking about making a deck with creatures who are all children.  The only cards I know for sure that have children are Cloistered Youth and Blood Bairn.  I suppose I include the likes of Dragon Hatchling and others as children.  Anyone recall any others?

Little GirlChild of Alara

~ Tim   

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
IIRC, reckless waif is...

Also, perhaps include creepy doll, it's a childs toy after all...
Of the shirts, I like the first Chandra and the Jace one the most. The first Chandra one bcause its the art is very decal-looking, and the Jace one is very subtle with the character and more focuses on the runes that are also decal-looking.

I'm not gonna lie, if I actually saw either of them and they fit me well, I would actually like wearing them.
For anyone who's interested to see Kiblers deck:
www.twitch.tv/bmkibler/b/428285146
57:30
First game he just loses.
He also missplays a lot, but he can tell.
His explanations are nice.
Game two his opponent just skips his first turn.
In game three, which starts 1:08:00, they just removal eachothers creatures and stare at eachother, until his enemy casts a Relevation and wins.
Really nothing to see here.
Disappointed by the choice of shards for the commander product, though I can see the reasoning. They're easy to latch onto for players new to the format. But for someone more seasoned, shard EDH decks got old years ago.
Can't find the commander cards...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Hopefully, next year, they will do 4 color commander sets
OK, found them:
imgur.com/naP1klJ.jpg (www.mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php...)

pbs.twimg.com/media/BPqHqEMCEAAHVUf.jpg  (www.mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php...)

Jace 2 reprinted in from the vault 20 and some info on heroes and so on from theros on mtgsalvation...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I've already said this elsewhere but the last Commander product missed a really good oppurtunity. Rather than just making up new characters for Commanders it'd be really nice to see some that never got a card return as Legendary Creatures, to name a few:

• Xantcha (B/W ?)

• Gix (just Black right?)

• Belbe (B/G?) 

Oh... and the R/G Wolf Legend that went missing in Innistrad block >_> 
Would anyone else like returning characters with actual backstories rather than random new ones?
If I cared about Commander in the slightest, probably.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
If I cared about Commander in the slightest, probably.

They arent just for Commander though. They can be used in normal casual games, Legacy and Vintage.

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Would anyone else like returning characters with actual backstories rather than random new ones?

Not in Commander products. I'd like them to be a little less format-specific than most Commander stuff seems to be (Join Forces, the "gets stronger as it gets more expensive" thing, etc.).
Not in Commander products. I'd like them to be a little less format-specific than most Commander stuff seems to be (Join Forces, the "gets stronger as it gets more expensive" thing, etc.).

The format specific cards are in the minority really, there's Join Forces and the new cycle. Plenty of them have just been regular Magic cards; Ghave, Mimeoplasm, Vish Kal... off the top of my head.
It's just that these "Legends" are totally 2 dimensional when there's plenty of material from Magic's past to be used.

I don't really see where else they could release them as new expansions stick with the current time line and I don't think we're getting another Time Spiral block.
I'm sure there's plenty of awesome characters that don't have cards yet... but Xantcha would be my #1 want! <3

They're all format specific in the sense that casual Magic is the only format where they're even remotely playable. Like, even close to it.
They're all format specific in the sense that casual Magic is the only format where they're even remotely playable. Like, even close to it.

We are talking about future releases, so we have no idea what is going to be playable and what isnt.

Besides, havent some of the Commander-only new already cards seen play in eternal formats? (Scavenging Ooze, for example)

~ Tim 

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Indeed they have. Flusterstorm is another example. But I kinda wish they'd do the same for the legends, because they usually have really neat artwork and unusual colour combinations that could lead to some fun build-around decks if they were good enough for that.
I dunno what you could print that'd be good enough :S I imagine Xantcha would be a fairly cheap creature... what Really nice effect could you have for just say... 1 Black 1 White that'd work well as a commander but also be useful in Legacy? 0_o Kinda getting into "you create the card" territory here though...
I'm glad they're making more Commander products anyway. I play competitive Standard and Modern but I really don't mind buying something that's just for casual play now and then, I'd just like a little more flavour to savour. 
Scale Birds! (but what exactly are they trying to mill...)
Regarding the "A Matter of Scale" arcana, is anybody else puzzled by Trick's comment that the egg is "at least 8 feet long"?  It looks like the swords in the picture are in the foreground and background, and not easily comparable to the egg. 

For me, it's the coins that make the 8-foot descriptor seem off.  Compare the coins at the very base of the egg to the ones closest to the skulls at the bottom-left; they are almost the same size in the art.  Going by that, then, doesn't it seem like for that egg to be eight feet long, each coin must be at least six inches across? 

If so, that's some big money(and by extension I'd have to put those skulls at somewhere in the neighbourhood of one and a half feet wide!)
Regarding the "A Matter of Scale" arcana, is anybody else puzzled by Trick's comment that the egg is "at least 8 feet long"?  It looks like the swords in the picture are in the foreground and background, and not easily comparable to the egg. 

For me, it's the coins that make the 8-foot descriptor seem off.  Compare the coins at the very base of the egg to the ones closest to the skulls at the bottom-left; they are almost the same size in the art.  Going by that, then, doesn't it seem like for that egg to be eight feet long, each coin must be at least six inches across? 

If so, that's some big money(and by extension I'd have to put those skulls at somewhere in the neighbourhood of one and a half feet wide!)

I agree with you completely about his comments on scale being off. Based off of the money and skulls, I would have pegged the egg as being 4 feet tall at most. The foreshortening of the foreground swords, and the diminishing of the ones in the background, don't make it any easier to tell. I'd say the art pretty much failed at displaying the correct scale.
I've already said this elsewhere but the last Commander product missed a really good oppurtunity. Rather than just making up new characters for Commanders it'd be really nice to see some that never got a card return as Legendary Creatures, to name a few:

• Xantcha (B/W ?)

• Gix (just Black right?)

• Belbe (B/G?) 

Oh... and the R/G Wolf Legend that went missing in Innistrad block >_> 

Xantcha is on a card, as Sleeper Agent. Sometimes, a famous character will only get a passing reference, such as how initially Talruum Minotaur came to depict Tahngarth by coopting the design of the former for the latter. Other times, the character has no special value or the set is overloaded with legends or that's ... not the theme of this set. Time Spiral was the block that allowed all of the past and current legendary figures who mattered/were popular get a card, aside from certain figures of historical value, such as Tocasia. That said, NONE of the figures from Arabian Nights set got a card as this predated the mechanic. When next we return to Rabiah the Infinite, we would likely see new and old legends.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
"Hey guys, we're only going to do one event deck from now on, so we can really focus our resources on making the best thing possible for our customers.  Here it is!  Surprise!  It's a shock land and a bunch of bulk rares!"  --WotC
Re the Daily Deck List:
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
 It has a few ways to get card advantage between Gruul Guildgate and Firebolt 

Gruul Turf has an argument to be card advantage, but not the Guildgate...
I thought the deck looked neat, how do I get one? I don't have to go to FNM, do I?
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I thought the deck looked neat, how do I get one? I don't have to go to FNM, do I?

Event Decks are sold like normal preconstructed products at gaming stores. You dont need to sign up for FNM to get one.

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
[sarcasm]The brand new Event Deck looks horrible! The core set Event Decks are supposed to be 50% cards that will rotate in the next few months, with the bulk of the current core set being the basic lands![/sarcasm]

Gave up on Event Decks after M13 (got it for the Thragtusk), since I'm not the target market for them (own most of the cards anyway).
Re the Daily Deck List:
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
 It has a few ways to get card advantage between Gruul Guildgate and Firebolt 

Gruul Turf has an argument to be card advantage, but not the Guildgate...

It's a stretch but in pauper there just isn't much of fixing at all, so a land that produces 2 colors could be referred to as CA.

192884403 wrote:
Mana Management

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Lestat the Musical: I want more
But DOTP14 does have Primeval Titans. Chant of Mul Daya deck.
Where do I enter the code at in the iPad version? I'v been through every menu and option, but I must be overlooking something.
But DOTP14 does have Primeval Titans. Chant of Mul Daya deck.

That's what I was thinking... Eh, research fail. It happens occasionally.

Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Dear Trick Jarrett,
Regarding your article "Magic 2014DotP Mini Quiz":
I think you are wrong in this, because there is a green deck (Chant of Mul Daya) which have primeval titan

"Q3. Which of the following cards is in Magic 2014—Duels of the Planeswalkers?

Primeval Titan - WRONG - Primeval Titan was last printed in Magic 2012, and it hasn't appeared in the Duels of the Planeswalkers games since. "

edit: nath'd
I love the mill deck featured today! I always wanted to build something like that, but I can't afford fetchlands/glimpse/deathrite/inquisition/thoughtseize. As such I have been playing a slower, more controllish version for a year now, with Mind Funerals and such.

192884403 wrote: