Interspecies marriage

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Dragonborn character has met a Dwarf NPC, which I feel he would hit it off with. Question is, any canon information for why such a marriage wouldn't work? Not being able to produce offspring would be a big one, since my character has been crowned king and producing heirs is rather necessary in such a function.

And while any answers are encouraged to talk about the Dragonborn+Dwarf combination, I'm wondering how that would go with other species (except for Humans, which everyone knows can get married to and get pregnant by anything). 
Heroic Dungeon Master
Oh, whats the real harm.

In my game, there is a Dwelf.

Within; Without.

My Dragonborn character has met a Dwarf NPC, which I feel he would hit it off with. Question is, any canon information for why such a marriage wouldn't work? Not being able to produce offspring would be a big one, since my character has been crowned king and producing heirs is rather necessary in such a function.

And while any answers are encouraged to talk about the Dragonborn+Dwarf combination, I'm wondering how that would go with other species (except for Humans, which everyone knows can get married to and get pregnant by anything). 

"The flies get it,
And the frogs get it,
And all them big jungle cats get it,
And I bet your little dog gets it,
Yeah, I want you to get with it,
Yeah, come on, and get with it"
-Instinct Blues, The White Stripes

What is the incubation period of a Dragonborn? How long must the poor dwarf sit upon those draconic eggs? How many adventures will be missed during this incubation period. Are there magic items to help incubate the egg? How portable are they? Will a dwarven/dragonborn combination produce oriental, chromatic or other type dragons (Oriental dragons being bearded.. that's a high possibility. How will this affect the hierarchy? Dragon greed and dwarf greed are not only cultural, but they may be genetic. Money issues being the number one cause of divorce, you definitely want to answer this one.

I recommend a rock-solid prenuptial agreement with a clause that clearly outlines visitation rights.

Those are the questions you need to be asking yourself.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

What if your Dragonborn king is allowed to have an heir with someone else, some random servant or someone chosen just for the task. Then raises the child with the dwarven partner? 

Thats often times what real world people who can't have children do, so I don't see why it doesn't work for your PC. 

It also makes for some interesting hooks when a king is involved. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

What succession laws do you have? Do your citizens like this? I mean, a "purist" might fear the day that dragons rule the dwarves. (Just some opposition for ya).

I would look at the sexuality debates today about gay marriage. No stance need be stated, but:

Some people might feel "Natural Law" or "Divine Command Theory" prohibbits these "perverted" relations.
Some people might feel that Dragonborn have this right.

Likewise:

Some people might feel threatened by the situation; others might feel safe.
(Elves will hate us because we married a Dwarf! ~ Dwarves; our faithful ally!)

I like these kinds of things. Keeping RL politics in mind, can give you a sense of what the political landscape in game is like. I would also note that if your DM and players are okay with inter species breeding, Great! I see nothing wrong with doing what is appropriate in your game. let us know how it goes! Happy gaming.

Within; Without.

Why don't you just try buying her dinner first?  Sheesh.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Thanks for all the tips.

Thankfully, my character happens to be the male, so no worries about the egg or any other types of incubation periods, during adventure time.

Basically, most are telling me, do what is interesting, which is why the marriage shall proceed! You are all invited! Wedding gifts in the form of things made from slain dragons are always appreciated.

Now if only I an convince my spymaster that producing heirs is still possible. He's worried about the line of succession.
Heroic Dungeon Master
I mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey but is itself sterile

I treat half elves that way

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

I live in san diego if any vistitting wizards wants to  contact me 858=483=3822

i'd stop by comicon but my car is broke and so am I

The issue of D&D marriage pretty much mirrors the issue of reality marriage.

If you can can find a civil or religious authority willing to say so, you are married.

Whether or not the King or the Republic will recognize it is completely irrelevant, unless you're chasing benefit payout.
If you're king, you kind of are a civil authority... is it possible to be the official to your own wedding? 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
If you're king, you kind of are a civil authority... is it possible to be the official to your own wedding? 

If not, you can always sack whomever the officiant would be, until you find someone who will officiate it. I believe that's how Protestantism began.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

If not, you can always sack whomever the officiant would be, until you find someone who will officiate it...

I wouldn't recommend sacking them per say. That normally leads to a long and distracting subtitle sequence.

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

... Sorry, couldn't resist.

More seriously, I echo the other posters who say do what's interesting. If pokemon can allow the Wailord/Skitty combo, I'm sure the fantasy of D&D can fit a Dragonborn/Dwarf. Just work it out with your DM. 

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Anglican Church was heavy in my thoughts
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
In my campaign I not only had a dragonborn PC fall for a human woman NPC, but she also got pregnant with his child. Now, I didn't want to overthink it, so I said that, since she is the one that's stuck with a baby for nine months, the kid was going to be mostly human with one or two dragonborn characteristics at most.
So, I'd say go ahead. As long as your DM is not a prick, he'll most likely clear it.
I would much rather think about the politics involved, or in how this could affect different plots in different, fun ways. Thinking about pregnancy, gestation, and all of that just isn't my idea of a great time. I would probably "leave it in the background" in the lovely little place called "Off-Screen Land". This is one of my favorite places in the whole game, because a LOT can happen there. One of the most useful places for a DM in the whole game, I say.

I would simply ask for (and if I were the DM, I would give) a simple, mature background thing that isn't awkward or weird for the players (including the DM). I would have a "Dragonborn/Dragonian" whatchamacallit who reproduces with a different race produce a member of that race with a latent bloodline gift. Maybe the kid can speak dragon, or has tougher bones, maybe it is slightly "higher minded" or has a cantrip of some kind. Other than that, it would "look" like a dwarf.

So, about wierd:  A druid wild shapes into a rabbit and...

Within; Without.

Thankfully, my character happens to be the male, so no worries about the egg or any other types of incubation periods, during adventure time.

Actually, there are a number of species in which the male tends the eggs in the nest after the female lays them - penguins, for one...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Actually, there are a number of species in which the male tends the eggs in the nest after the female lays them - penguins, for one...

Seahorse for two. The male keeps the eggs.

Within; Without.

My human paladin would so procreate with a hot longtooth... even with a sexy goliath...but with a dragonborn or a dwarf? Thats bit too weird for my taste lol.
I mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey but is itself sterile

Not always.  It is rare, but there are precedents for a fertile mule.  Same goes for the hinny.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

...Basically, most are telling me, do what is interesting, which is why the marriage shall proceed! ....

Yes, do whatever is interesting and fun for you and the rest of the group.

And, as for the heir, it isn't as if the character is living in a world without magic.  Check with your DM - whatever is needed for the spell to work ought to work nicely for "hooks" into a series of adventures, and if that's a course you want to pursue for your character, then that contribution to the storyline should make the DM's job much, much easier (what DM wouldn't want a little help developing hooks to involve characters naturally into a campaign?)
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
...Basically, most are telling me, do what is interesting, which is why the marriage shall proceed! ....

Yes, do whatever is interesting and fun for you and the rest of the group.

And, as for the heir, it isn't as if the character is living in a world without magic.  Check with your DM - whatever is needed for the spell to work ought to work nicely for "hooks" into a series of adventures, and if that's a course you want to pursue for your character, then that contribution to the storyline should make the DM's job much, much easier (what DM wouldn't want a little help developing hooks to involve characters naturally into a campaign?)

In the 1980s Avengers comics, the Scarlet Witch used a spell to procreate with the Visions (a robot). She had twins, who ended up being fragments of some demon's soul.

To borrow a line from Jurrasic Park, life finds a way.