[M14-ICD] Banisher Priest

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Banisher Priest
Creature - Human Cleric (U)

When Banisher Priest enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Banisher Priest leaves the battlefield.

2/2
Banisher Priest

When Banisher Priest enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Banisher Priest leaves the battlefield.

2/2 

hmmm they found out the fiend hunter  combo!
Banisher Priest

2/2 

hmmm they found out the fiend hunter  combo!

Unless I've missed something, we're still not clear on whether this wording is just a new template for the O-ring effect or if it will actually "close" the O-ring loophole.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

I was hoping we would see an oblivion ring reprint, but this makes it seem unlikely.
This closes the loophole since it's a single ability trigger that is put on the stack.

Additionally, targeting only your opponent's creatures is an obvious work around the self-comboing/protecting effect of Fiend Hunter.

I like it.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Good news is I won't have to argue with noobs when I try to pull blink exile tricks.
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/h7a4DTP.png)
I misread that flavor text at first as "Oathbreaker, I choose you!"
While we don't have official confirmation yet (other than Tabak being coy on tumblr), it's pretty clear this is a new effect, just like Giant Whale. They'd never use a template that shortcutted two triggered abilities as one without keywording it. At least with Fiend Hunter, you can use the words on the card and a basic understanding of triggered abilities to explain the loophole. I'm nearly certain this is new exile-with-duration tech that closes the loophole.

It'll be sad to see that trick go, but this is a pretty good card nonetheless. I like this effect.
Rules Nut Advisor
Why not remove the stack from the game all together? 
keep your free sacrifice abilities handy

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock

Indeed, how dare they make a card work how you'd expect it to.

could the stack be returned ?
would that reverse the order ?
if I travel far enough in a straight line, will I return left handed ?

They've printed abilities in the old wording for a really long time. Who are you to say it was broken? 
I assume noun of location like "battlefield" or "board" translates across the languages better
than a noun that is usually a verb "play"

They've printed abilities in the old wording for a really long time. Who are you to say it was broken? 

Everyone knows it was unintuitive. 

Are you arguing that what they used to be is right because they used to do it, and they're wrong to change it? 
banding made sense to me

Haha, take that fiend hunter, no more permanently exiling my cratures with your flicker BS and no more comboing out by exiling your own creatures over and over; i like this new O-ring.

Are you arguing that what they used to be is right because they used to do it, and they're wrong to change it? 

Nope, saying it was intended to be that way because they made it that way and had over 10 years to change it but didn't. 

I hope this new easier version is better for you though.  

Tell me then, how do you expect it to work if you sacrifice it in response?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

What if I flash in a Fiend Hunter with Alchemist's Refuge in response to this' etb trigger, and then tap two Sol Rings to cast a Shimmer Myr while I have Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir in play and my opponent sacrifices a Spiketail Hatchling in response to my Angel's Grace?

Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
>_>

Nope, saying it was intended to be that way because they made it that way and had over 10 years to change it but didn't. 

Or perhaps they didn't feel like they had a good way to fix the problem with it, and now they do?
Very solid.  I definitely think this will see constructed play.

Presumably the same thing that happens when you untap your Vedalken Shackles in response to its ability. The duration never begins, so nothing happens.

Unless this is actually just a retemplating of the old version, of course. But I can't imagine they would do that.
What if I flash in a Fiend Hunter with Alchemist's Refuge in response to this' etb trigger, and then tap two Sol Rings to cast a Shimmer Myr while I have Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir in play and my opponent sacrifices a Spiketail Hatchling in response to my Angel's Grace?

you lose because you have 2 sol rings in play...Wink

At least I'll get my stuff back in multiplayer when the player dies unlike with Fiend Hunter / Oblivion Ring
I assume noun of location like "battlefield" or "board" translates across the languages better
than a noun that is usually a verb "play"

Is this the only thing you talk about in every thread.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
it's the most popular word written on magic cards
#battlefield is trending

Banisher Priest

2/2

too bad that a player can't exile and bring back their own creature.

Presumably the same thing that happens when you untap your Vedalken Shackles in response to its ability. The duration never begins, so nothing happens.

Unless this is actually just a retemplating of the old version, of course. But I can't imagine they would do that.

Vedalken Shackles has a "for as long as" as opposed to "until" though. The former has a duration, the latter has a condition it's checking for.

It's also relatively hard to interpret if it would be exiled or not, but intuitively I still see it working as previous version.

I'm not sure how Gaea's Liege actually works.

Yxoque wrote:

Until also indicates a duration. "Gain control of target creature until end of turn." is pretty common.

I have seen it confirmed by the rules people somewhere that this is how it works.  If this guy leaves the battlefield with his trigger on the stack, nothing happens. 

Now I just need to remember where I read that ...
Nice card. I was wondering when they where going to make a one-sided O Ring.

I hope this new easier version is better for you though.  

Why is 10 years significant?  Would it be a different story if it were only five years?

Will it take you another ten years before you can judge both variations of the ability equally and decide for yourself which one is better rather than leaning on tradition?
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Until also indicates a duration. "Gain control of target creature until end of turn." is pretty common.

Well, sure, but it's until a condition is met, nor for as long as a condition is true. Say Sower of Temptation had "until" instead and I sacrificed it in response, would I not keep permanent control of the creature?

Yxoque wrote:

I have seen it confirmed by the rules people somewhere that this is how it works. If this guy leaves the battlefield with his trigger on the stack, nothing happens.

Now I just need to remember where I read that ...

It has not been confirmed anywhere, because the the cards have not been released and neither have the rules. Anything anyone says is speculation, because there has never been a card with this wording, and we need the new rules that have not been published yet to know how it works.
No O-Ring combo is good.

Snappy flavor text, me likes. Great art too. 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Almost strictly worse than Fiend Hunter. And looking at the wording as objectively as possible, I think the new wording is far less intuitive than the old.
Almost strictly worse than Fiend Hunter. And looking at the wording as objectively as possible, I think the new wording is far less intuitive than the old.

How is it less intuitive?
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

As best as I can tell, the exiled card's return is now state-based rather than triggered, so if you were to, say, bounce the Priest while its ability is on the stack it acts like Cloudshift.

It has 2 power. Fiend hunter has 1. That's a big difference.