Caves of Chaos: First Next Adventure

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Today, my group departed into the Caves of Chaos for our first ever playtest of DDN. The game was only a couple of hours as more of an intro to Sunday game this weekend, but I thought I'd write down how it went anyways.

Our DM, who's played all the editions except 4e, probably was the most excited of any of us. I told him that a wizard could do d6 damage with a spell every turn and he just loved it. We play mostly high power campaigns so the fact that a wizard is magicy all the time was a huge hit for us.

Then we drew up our characters which would have been much faster if we hadn't wanted to read all of our options before deciding on what class to be. All in all, this took about an hour and we could probably each make a second character sheet in ten to twenty minutes, so that's another big plus for us.

One big problem was that skills weren't described at all in the background and skills document, only in the how to play and DM document. This made finding them really time consuming, and I would like it if they were copied over to the skills document.

Our party consisted of four third level characters:
Halfling Rogue(acrobat)-me
Half Orc Barbarian
Human Druid(Circle of the Moon)
Human Wizard(Scholarly)

We came up upon the caves, made some spot rolls and noticed four of the entraces and that two of the entrances were guarded by koblods and goblins respectively. I came up with a plan and after some RPing/bluff checks, the goblins were going over to raid the kolbolds' stronghold. Our party quickly dispatched the two remaining goblins and entered into their lair.

I have two main problems with the game so far. First, I can't sneak in dungeons because I can't see. Darkvision would be OP, but giving all rogues low light vision would at least sort of help with that. Secondly I think spot and listen should be combined into one skill. I understand the difference between passive and active searching, but splitting that even further makes it really challenging for most characters to just have good awareness.
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.
Hi bobinchese,

There is feat (Hide in Shadows) that grants low light of 10ft in addition to granting training in Stealth.  Its not much, but it does help avoid walking into walls.  I believe some rogues get it in their schemes, but perhaps the acrobat does not.

Stealthing is a bit challenging in the Caves of Chaos as you've experienced due to constant darkness.  As your Orc barbarian has darkvision, he may have the better chance spotting and scouting (if trained).  The rest of the party will likely have to hang out in the light of their torches, possibly alerting the monsters to your presence.

Great idea getting the two monster tribes against each other.

Best of luck.  I'd like to hear more of your experiences at low level.
Thank you very much, just switched out a feat on my character.
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.